Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

On the other hand, that probably means Best Dad actually lost a hand :ohdear:

Damo can probably freely reattach it if he chooses to. He cuts a clear divide through Josefumi's shin/leg after throwing the phones at him but Josefumi walks away and obviously, Josuke can walk too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't know how Araki manages to start with a chapter where some goofy-looking motherfucker is acting all weird and then double the tension every single chapter, but holy hell he's succeding. I don't know where this poo poo will end up, but I strongly suspect that this arc will end up as one of the high notes of the entire manga.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Folks, here's the facts: the equivalent exchange took Kira's dick off, and that's why Josuke has four balls but only one dick

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Torquemadras posted:

On the other hand, that probably means Best Dad actually lost a hand :ohdear:

OR Robot hand! Best Dad starts looking like Best Grandpa/Dad Who Cheats

Insane chapter, I love Josefumi.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Sheer Heart Attack is such a dope move.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What I want to see is Josuke shooting bubbles all around and then turn all of the bubbles into Sheer Heart Attacks as "Soft & Wet - Sheer Heart Attack".

Please, Araki.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 27, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think killer queen was looking a little worse for wear at the end of this chapter, so i don't know how probable that might be

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What exactly did kira do to get the cell phone to karera and hide sheer heart attacks in her hair?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

What exactly did kira do to get the cell phone to karera and hide sheer heart attacks in her hair?

I imagine this will be explained later on, it doesn't really make sense right now, other than Killer Queen sneaking about out of sight.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think killer queen was looking a little worse for wear at the end of this chapter, so i don't know how probable that might be

Josuke's Soft & Wet is a combination of the two and can do things Josefumi's can't, as well as its bubbles looking different so even though it *looks* like Kira is losing Killer Queen, parts of it make the jump to Josuke even still.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 27, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I was confused about that, too. Theory:

Since he's met Karera before, he probably asked her to attach a hair to the phone so that she could retrieve it, and to go meet them. Either Kira expected her to try and steal the phone that way (???), or he sent her a signal of some sort; maybe he sent her a message once he realized they were under the effect of a Stand. And then, once poo poo hit the fan, he had two Sheer Heart Attacks travel along the hair and hide.
I don't know how much of this was planned by Kira. Maybe he met Karera and later realized she had attached a hair ('cause she's a stalker), probably to steal the phone and use it as an excuse to go bother him some more. So when Damo threw away the phone, Kira probably expected Karera to show up with it shortly, and he sneakily sent out the SHA when his hand was dangling off the boat's edge (I think it even was the SHA hand).
Oh boy.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's probably good that Josuke might not get ALL of Killer Queen's power because if anything this version of Killer Queen is kinda broken.

The amount of variability his Sheer Heart Attack has is crazy, from tiny bombs to clear blood clots to exploding an entire dock with two bombs it has a crazy amount of versatility, range, and power.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just looked at the overall timeline for JoJolion and come to a couple of conclusions for things, though one of them is almost definitely the reason for all of it.

They are:
1. Karera may be lying to Josuke: Karera's backstory about meeting Josefumi/Kira and the Rokakaka in Kira's house + the photo simply doesn't fit in with the timeline despite there being photo evidence and corroboration by the A.Phex twins. She can't have known Kira/Josefumi yet lost her Phone in the earthquake like she tells Josuke because Chapter 51 establishes neither of those two know Karera on a friendly level and this is the August after the March earthquake.
2. Kira and Josefumi die imminently: They're on the boat in Mid-August. Mid-July if Araki typo'd a month or it was mistranslated. Present day JoJolion is anytime during September, but probably late. Damo corroborates this (his date keeping is actually trash and he makes mistakes).
3. You're not supposed to think very hard about this because Araki doesn't because he didn't do the math work himself, if there are no typos or mistranslations.

Option 3 is the "probably true" one. (Option 2 is true too)

Here's the details of the timeline:
2009 > Before Oct 2010 - Aishou comes to Morioh, Kira finds him and investigates Rockmen for at least a year, runs into Josefumi and Sasame and learns about the Rokakaka.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saturday 3 Oct 2010 (ch 51, 34, batoto) - 10 months, 16 days, 3 hours and 24 minutes before the Boat attack, Holly Kira's illness pushes Kira and Josefumi to steal a Rokakaka from Aishou successfully.

March 11 2011 - Earthquake (real event in March 2011 and stated as March 11 in Ch.1), causes the Wall Eyes to appear. Karera loses her phone during the Earthquake (ch 44. pg 20 batoto), retrieves the photo of Josefumi all the same.

Ch.44 final page, Twins says she held out for 6 months but came back to Morioh because she's at her limit. She was out of town perhaps during the quake?

Rokakaka wilts because of the Earthquake. Damo says 6 months had passed since the theft, but it is 5 months 8 days in reality.

When the Rokakaka wilts in the Earthquake and then 4 months pass until they find Kira/Fumi (ch.51 pg 36 batoto). This would be July, not August. The text is phrased as if they immediately confront Kira/Fumi and it makes sense that they would, but it's not impossible they wait a month or so. Damo cannot timekeep despite being shown as anal about dates by the 10 months etc.

August 19 2011 (ch 51, 34, batoto) - Josefumi + Kira act unfamiliar with Karera (51, 22, batoto), Josefumi says the ground is still moving from aftershocks (several months later, is this possible?), Josefumi looks at Karera (51,30, batoto) to establish it's the same trip and realises she's pretty cute now he's getting a good look at her (he'd already think this if he'd met her before?). Damo finds Kira and Josefumi. Chapter 52 happens.

Between August 19 and Damo's infiltration of the Higashikata house - Kira Yoshikage buys Josuke's hat from SBR. Kira and Josefumi die within 3 days of the hat's purchase (Ch.2) and become Josuke , Jobin leaves the country after initially being at the Higashikata house, Yagiyama dies, Jobin comes back, Aishou dies, Karera appears, Twins die. Damo attacks

Sep 2011 - (Ch.51 Page 17 batoto) - Damo Tamaki says 6 months have passed since the earthquake while talking to Norisuke.

Outlying information:
???? but has to be before she loses her phone in the earthquake if she's not lying - Karera hangs out with Kira/Josefumi, says he has a Rokakaka in his apartment and takes photo (why would he already have one?) - Contradicts Kira/Josefumi not really knowing her at all but the Twins back up her retreating Morioh 6 months ago during the Earthquake. Lying about when she came back and when the photo was taken to Josuke? The twins corroborate her vanishing (they'd have no reason to track her before Ch.52) so expect retcons?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 27, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Thanks for looking into all of that. It's interesting.

I would not be at all surprised if the end is near for them and as a result, that "picture" moment and some of the other stuff Karera said is retconned or just sort of forgotten outright. It'd be mildly disappointing to me for a couple of reasons but ultimately has no real bearing on anything so it's something I could let go of pretty easily.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm mostly wondering if Karera's more informed about Josuke than she lets on and working against him for her own interests. She does drop lines about wanting the Rokakaka and to break away from the lovely world. JoJolion is so good.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah, and I think hopefully that'll bear out soon. Karera seems like a person who works with self-interest/survival in mind a good amount of the time with that same potential obsessive streak that Yukako had, just actually rounded out so she seems...like more of a real person now (I love Yukako, don't get me wrong, there are just issues with the character and I don't think anyone would really deny that). If somebody's going to be good at playing both sides, I'd expect it to be Karera. So she could well have some sincere interest in helping Josuke because of her love for Josefumi while still being someone who knows a lot about what happened and is keeping quiet for a variety of reasons that mask the things she's done for herself in the aftermath. She seemed legitimately terrified by a few things when Josuke was talking to her, though, I don't think she's faking that or the confusion she had about a few other matters.

Dammit I'm just going to re-read Jojolion for the 3rd time

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does anyone know if a version of this but without the lens-flare:

Exists? I'm looking to put some new art on my fightstick.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

5 days til Friday.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

fadam posted:

Does anyone know if a version of this but without the lens-flare:

Exists? I'm looking to put some new art on my fightstick.

Technically your best bet would be to ask the original artist, although the problem of course is that they're Japanese: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=7447213

Those lens flares are so wide that editing that pic would take quite a bit of effort.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm reading part 4 and have shocking news for everyone: it's really good

a good alternate title would be Kira Yoshikage Gets Owned By Small Children.

"Some loving brat knows your name ha ha eat poo poo loser"
":argh:"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the characterization in the most recent chapter was really good overall. i'm not entirely sure what karera's deal is going to be and the photo still needs to be explained for sure, but if that's the only retconned thing then i won't really mind.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, i'm waiting for the connection between jesus's corpse, the hill with the tree where johnny brought it and gappy was later found buried, and the bite marks on the three people who spent a noticeable bit of time around it

jesus has to have some sort of connection to the earthquake and the wall eyes, especially since there was the whole thing of 'weird poo poo happens at places with pieces of jesus at them'. even if the corpse was later taken back i'm sure there was some significance to it being there in regards to the modern day events.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 28, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

jesus has to have some sort of connection to the earthquake

Can we make this the new thread title?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

'weird poo poo happens at places with pieces of jesus at them' would be better imho

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I think I've found an acceptable middle ground.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

I think I've found an acceptable middle ground.

You're pretty okay, Bad Seafood.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

over time i've just come to accept that if i'm talking about jojo's it's going to sound bugshit crazy, so at this point i don't hesitate to be casual about mentioning things like the mummified corpse of jesus probably being the cause of an earthquake.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's entirely possible we get some answers when the manga gets around to the circumstances that directly created Josuke.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Just gotta say it's pretty great to go to a convention and finally see Josuke cosplayers.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Just gotta say it's pretty great to go to a convention and finally see Josuke cosplayers.
The pictures I see go up from time time time are pretty drat good. Though actually I think my all-time favorite JoJo cosplay is that sporkbot person who does DIO simply because of the old wry-contest picture

(they do a good Diego, too)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dick too small; needs to get enlargement if he wants to be taken seriously.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

okuyasu who the gently caress just goes SWEET FREE BINOCULARS

this entire situation is the dumbest thing and I love it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Oh man, free binocs!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dick too small; needs to get enlargement if he wants to be taken seriously.

Josuke can you please stop staring at dicks for like two seconds so we can talk about more important things

Yinlock posted:

Okuyasu is a thrifty boy

A boy after my own heart. You don't say no to free poo poo

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The way this flashback's going I'm starting to think we, the readers are going to learn Josuke's origin and he isn't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Courtesy of JJL's translator, Kewl0210

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I feel like we haven't praised Vitamin C's incredibly cool appearance enough, so let me say that everything about Vitamin C is super cool. The recurring C/hexagon shape on its body, the way the big scary cloaked figure silhouette of the stand smoothly transitions into the creepy handprints of its ability, the way the face has a hand on it and that makes it look like it has weird long teeth, man, Vitamin C is a cool stand.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Damo as a whole is just a serious homerun. He's in the top tier of JoJo villains easily. His intro that makes him look like a joke, his appearance that makes you think he's just going to be a joke villain and then the sudden, hard turn into sheer cold hearted torture and he's cool, confident and his joke appearance doesn't look nearly as funny and he's totally nullifying Killer Queen, which is a trip in itself.

We've seen a load of his ability, which like Damo himself, seems benign as gently caress on paper. You look at Spice Girl and you're all, eh this is really cool but could be used better but Vitamin C is nightmare fuel Spice Girl. Vitamin C's body, like all stands should be but not all are, is a true representation of Damo. It has a Darth Vader vibe to it in a way, he looks tall, imposing and armoured and the hands all over show that Damo's got his hand on the pulse and is in control of everything.

It reminds me of Grahf of Xenogears too, but I'm certain Araki's not played that game. Though Grahf is probably in the same vein of Darth Vader inspiration.

I'm not sure there are many characters in JoJo who pull the whole thing together as well as Damo. Whole thing being character appearance, personality, stand appearance and ability being 100% unbeatably perfect for them. To me, that list might be as small as Josuke 4, Kira 4 and Damo. I'd maybe put Johnny and Jotaro in there too.

There are characters whose personality and appearance match up perfectly, but their stand's appearance doesn't quite match that 100% level too. Among those, I'd count Gyro, DIO, Ringo as people with the perfect physical appearance for their character, but maybe their stand isn't on that perfect level for appearance. (I think all three of those dudes have the perfect ability for them though and I love how all three of those stands (ball breaker for Gyro) look barring Mandom which is a weird stand.)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 28, 2016

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've been holding off but I feel like it's probably time for me to start reading JJL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
as Iconic as it is, and despite knowing WHY it looks like that, I think The World leaned a bit too much on the Diver imagery with the air tanks. I like it better when Araki doesn't draw them.