Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hollismason posted:

I still think that the youth vote he's receiving is going to disappear in November when Hillary is running.

He's not getting much youth vote though, that's why he's getting his rear end kicked in high population states. The youth vote he is getting, AFAIK, isn't significantly larger than usual youth turnout. Sure, he's winning most of the ones who always turnout but he isn't bringing many new voters on board. They would have been voting anyway and will surely be voting in November.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WampaLord posted:

Everyone says this (and I agree with it, obviously), but how do we effectively get more youth turnout in midterm elections? I haven't seen an effective midterm GOTV strategy discussed.

It's a nut politicos have been trying to crack since the 80's.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

WampaLord posted:

Everyone says this (and I agree with it, obviously), but how do we effectively get more youth turnout in midterm elections? I haven't seen an effective midterm GOTV strategy discussed.

The solution is simple you see, you just shamelessly display your resentment for them in the USPOL thread.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's not getting much youth vote though, that's why he's getting his rear end kicked in high population states. The youth vote he is getting, AFAIK, isn't significantly larger than usual youth turnout. Sure, he's winning most of the ones who always turnout but he isn't bringing many new voters on board. They would have been voting anyway and will surely be voting in November.

That's the funny part - the only real surprise upset so far (Michigan) was because of unusually high youth turnout...and it was still basically a tie for Bernie.

(Michigan being 75% white also helped)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The real key is advertising the hell out of it. Make the youth realize that the Senate and House(and other down ticket stuff) are waaaaaay more important than the presidency for most of the issues that end up affecting the average person.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enkmar posted:

The solution is simple you see, you just shamelessly display your resentment for them in the USPOL thread.

I didn't know the USPol thread was that old.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Enkmar posted:

Nothing else has worked so far. Maybe ruthlessly shaming them into action is the key.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Seriously, is there any hard evidence that Bernie is bringing out a larger youth turnout than usual?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

smg77 posted:

Nothing else has worked so far. Maybe ruthlessly shaming them into action is the key.

I'm thinking it's probably not

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously, is there any hard evidence that Bernie is bringing out a larger youth turnout than usual?

Turnout is down on the Democratic side across the board. It's thought to be because both candidates are satisfiable for the Democrats (and multiple exit polls confirm this) so there's less controversy driving people to the polls.

As for proportion, I don't know those exact numbers.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Historically shaming and otherwise pressuring people into changing their behaviour has by far been the most reliable, most successful way to enforce change.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dexo posted:

The real key is advertising the hell out of it. Make the youth realize that the Senate and House(and other down ticket stuff) are waaaaaay more important than the presidency for most of the issues that end up affecting the average person.

Or just give out free booze at election stations.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/11/booze-on-election-day-was-an-american-tradition/

it was a fine tradition buying votes with alcohol, one that could see the democrats back in the house and senate on the back of a tidal wave of booze.

Or weed and pizza. That could also work.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Dexo posted:

That and making sure the youth know what to do and where to go. As is, registering to vote in primaries, as an example, are a bureaucratic pain in the rear end, and even after that they might not know when the election is being held, or where polling places are. That stuff can seem like minor things to experienced voters, but every additional step people have to take in order to vote is a step that will turn off a lot of people from voting. Voting is inconvenient and requires a significant time investment, and for youth who are busy with a whole bunch of poo poo, including college, new jobs, new families, it can seem unappealing to take more time out of their lives to pursue what can feel like just a drop in the bucket.

e: ^^^ Also food. Speaking as a millennial, millennials love food they don't have to pay for. Make voting into a party and you will get votes like you would not imagine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

Turnout is down on the Democratic side across the board. It's thought to be because both candidates are satisfiable for the Democrats (and multiple exit polls confirm this) so there's less controversy driving people to the polls.

As for proportion, I don't know those exact numbers.

Yeah I know turnout is down for all of the previously stated reasons but I'm hoping someone has proportional numbers.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Xanderkish posted:

That and making sure the youth know what to do and where to go. As is, registering to vote in primaries, as an example, are a bureaucratic pain in the rear end, and even after that they might not know when the election is being held, or where polling places are. That stuff can seem like minor things to experienced voters, but every additional step people have to take in order to vote is a step that will turn off a lot of people from voting. Voting is inconvenient and requires a significant time investment, and for youth who are busy with a whole bunch of poo poo, including college, new jobs, new families, it can seem unappealing to take more time out of their lives to pursue what can feel like just a drop in the bucket.

The procedure in the US is so loving weird to me, honestly. I just get a thing in the mail that says, "on this date, go to this place and show the people there this piece of paper. Here's what the ballot will look like and here's what you do to cast a vote." It's always on a sunday, I don't have to register with a party in advance (?????????) and I'm in and out of the whole thing in 10 to 15 minutes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I seriously have yet to see a reason why people aren't exploring being able to vote online. It's so dumb. There are instant messenger services that have encryption now.

There's no reason other than " We definitely do not want more people voting".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

I seriously have yet to see a reason why people aren't exploring being able to vote online. It's so dumb. There are instant messenger services that have encryption now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

Because mail in ballots are about as successful without the security risks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvJau8YGAQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Samantha Bee is constantly harping on this on her show, it's great.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

botany posted:

The procedure in the US is so loving weird to me, honestly. I just get a thing in the mail that says, "on this date, go to this place and show the people there this piece of paper. Here's what the ballot will look like and here's what you do to cast a vote." It's always on a sunday, I don't have to register with a party in advance (?????????) and I'm in and out of the whole thing in 10 to 15 minutes.

That's more or less how it works in the US as well. It's just that the party primaries are a little different because the parties are considered private organizations, so they can limit it to party members only, which is where it gets more complicated.

Plus caucuses are insanely stupid, but that's limited to certain states.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Doesn't Washington state offer online voting now?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

computer parts posted:

Because mail in ballots are about as successful without the security risks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flvJau8YGAQ

Maybe making mail in ballots more prevalent would help then.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Honestly, it'd probably be easier to ask for more mail-in voting options or expand the number of polling places than it is to allow online voting.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hollismason posted:

It's a lot harder for folks to tamper with an election when they have to physically go polling place to polling place.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Well the typical Dem strategy is you take the popular politicians you do have and you tell them to stay as far away from campaigns as possible, and you take the legislative victories you managed to achieve while you controlled the government and you pretend like those things never happened.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Teddybear posted:

It's a lot harder for folks to tamper with an election when they have to physically go polling place to polling place.

Yeah I watched the video and saw his points. I did think of one thing though that it probably skews towards wealthier voters so that's maybe a reason not to have it at all.

Apparently Washington State does in fact have electronic voting it seems. Reading up on it now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xanderkish posted:

Honestly, it'd probably be easier to ask for more mail-in voting options or expand the number of polling places than it is to allow online voting.

Though interestingly, there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between mail in voting and (presidential election) turnout. The mail in states are certainly above average, but there are several states that have much higher turnout rates.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah this is really the point. There's a ton of support but there is not a ton of voting.

botany posted:

You don't need to register with a party to vote in the general election. In most states, you do need to have a party registration to vote in primaries/caucuses, because they are party business - just like, for example, how in the recent UK Labour party leadership election, you had to be a Labour member to vote for their leadership.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I watched the video and saw his points. I did think of one thing though that it probably skews towards wealthier voters so that's maybe a reason not to have it at all.

Apparently Washington State does in fact have electronic voting it seems. Reading up on it now.

For what it's worth when Sandy happened on the East Coast right near election day, people in the hardest hit towns were allowed to do an experimental vote by fax (which also allowed fax-over-internet)

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

computer parts posted:

Though interestingly, there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between mail in voting and (presidential election) turnout. The mail in states are certainly above average, but there are several states that have much higher turnout rates.

That is interesting. I'd be curious to see how many votes in those states are mail-in, how many voters know about mail-in voting, and how streamlined the process is.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

how do you not grasp that "we wanted to have guns but those drat liberals won't let us and the whole thing is already bought, paid for, and planned" is such an obvious play for them???

You're forgetting that this is the RNC we're talking about.

Taking the obvious play isn't a gimme.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

computer parts posted:

Here's a site that has turnout data for 2012's general election:
http://www.electproject.org/2012g

Interestingly, Minnesota had 76% turnout despite not having mail-in voting for everyone, the highest in the nation. The lowest turnout was Hawaii at 44.2%

Xanderkish posted:

That is interesting. I'd be curious to see how many votes in those states are mail-in, how many voters know about mail-in voting, and how streamlined the process is.

Well when we're talking about like Washington and Oregon, mail-in voting is the voting for the general election, period. If you insist on not mailing, you go to like town halls or the like to fill out a mail in ballot in person.

Every single registered voter receives a ballot at their registered address, so there's no problems of having to remember to request it, unlike mail in voting in states that let you request an absentee ballot with no need to have a justified reason. (As an example, if you feel you want to just early vote in NJ or just can't be bothered to show up to the polls on election day, you can request an "absentee" ballot in advance and then just fill it out and mail it in weeks ahead),

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Why are we blaming the youth vote for not turning out for midterms, when Democrats across the board don't turn out? The hate boner some people here have for the youth vote is loving insane

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 27, 2016

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

a shameful boehner posted:

The important point being also that "universal health care" does not mean "universal affordable health care", especially without a strong public option.

UHC is just the first step and shouldn't be looked at as the end goal.

This is old, but yes it literally does. Part of the definition of universal coverage is that it's affordable.

From - http://www.who.int/health_financing/universal_coverage_definition/en/

The world health organization posted:

Universal health coverage (UHC) means that all people can use the promotive, preventive, curative, rehabilitative and palliative health services they need, of sufficient quality to be effective, while also ensuring that the use of these services does not expose the user to financial hardship.

Now the WHO also says healthcare is a fundamental right (and has since the 1930s) which is certainly a bit out of step with American Politics(*), but unless you have a better source for a definition, let's go with that one. I mean, the US did have input in it as a member nation.

* - One of the better arguments against UHC is basically that the Republican party exists and can win elections. Thus proving that Americans don't believe in good governance and without that belief good government is impossible. I like this one because to be fair, the GOP is basically governmental cancer.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Xanderkish posted:

Well in Oregon 100% of the votes are mail-in. They only vote by mail.

Here's their Sec. of State ballot return breakdown: http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/Ballot-Return.pdf

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You're forgetting that this is the RNC we're talking about.

Taking the obvious play isn't a gimme.

They are not strong in their negotiating position here. They can be told no and accept it, or they can move to a different place a few months ahead of the event assuming they can find someone who will say yes. Either way they're going to look like idiots, and will be fighting for a scenario they don't actually want to happen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KomradeX posted:

Why are we blaming the youth vote for not turning out for mudterms, when Democrats across the board don't turn out? The hate boner some people here have for the youth vote is loving insane

Again, what people hate is the youth non-vote.

Also, young people are the ones who have the greatest disparity between voting in the presidential election and voting at all other times. That's where's the most room for improvement!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maryland has electronic absentee voting

I got my ballot for the primary via email

Wish me luck

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Colorado is all mail-in ballots these days, so we can smoke our legal weed while voting for socialized medicine this year :350:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

You don't need to register with a party to vote in the general election. In most states, you do need to have a party registration to vote in primaries/caucuses, because they are party business - just like, for example, how in the recent UK Labour party leadership election, you had to be a Labour member to vote for their leadership.

Okay, that's a little less weird then, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KomradeX posted:

Why are we blaming the youth vote for not turning out for midterms, when Democrats across the board don't turn out? The hate boner some people here have for the youth vote is loving insane

Actually the big difference seems to be the youth specifically. Even (older) minorities tend to turn out consistently during midterms.

fishmech posted:

Here's a site that has turnout data for 2012's general election:
http://www.electproject.org/2012g

Interestingly, Minnesota had 76% turnout despite not having mail-in voting for everyone, the highest in the nation. The lowest turnout was Hawaii at 44.2%

Actually I think the biggest gains are seen during midterm elections (which is what matters):

http://www.electproject.org/2014g

Washington was rather low, but the other two mail in states were basically the highest in the nation. This could be an outlier (2014 was unusually low in general), or it could be a sign that you move up the floor of VEP from 25% to 40%.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 27, 2016

• Locked thread