Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The Reconstruction Era was the right thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Can we all just agree that if someone ain't an rear end in a top hat to you, you won't be one to them? :unsmith:

On topic: the women and leaving toilet seats up thing annoys me. I don't pee on the seat, then bitch that you didn't leave it up so I wouldn't pee on it. If you ain't gonna turn on a light and look before you sit, you're kind of an idiot.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Ozz81 posted:

Can we all just agree that if someone ain't an rear end in a top hat to you, you won't be one to them? :unsmith:

Can we start a second Civil War instead? :black101:

My pet peeve is people who say awful poo poo and then try to switch to "it's just a joke, quit being so X". Especially when other people side with it being a "joke" when it really obviously wasn't, just to get you to shut up.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

It's super simple. Take as much food and as many favors as are offered but only what can be enjoyed at that moment in the company of your host. If they offer you a glass of the good scotch, drink it. If they see you like it and offer you a bottle to take, you decline. If you mention your car is acting up and the host offers to take a look at it, feel free to take him/her up on it. If the host offers to call his mechanic friend and come take a look at a later date, you decline. If you're in a "help yourself" situation, you're only really free to help yourself to what they have prepared for you. If the host has not prepared things for you (fresh towels, shower poo poo, food and drink, a dinner service or buffet style at a dinner party) then they are in breach and you're now in an uncomfortable situation.

When you are full or don't need what they are offering, you say thank you but no. If the host insists, you're in a gray area because they are then breaching etiquette. Then you're into recursive denial/acceptance breach diffusion theory and that's a little longer than would be polite to write.

This part actually makes perfect sense to me, and reflects the way I was raised (by Yankees and Midwesterners in suburban Oregon). It feels like a complicated dance of inter-related rules and gray areas when you type it all out like that, but the interaction itself feels natural.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Danger Mahoney posted:

If they offer you a glass of the good scotch, drink it. If they see you like it and offer you a bottle to take, you decline. If you mention your car is acting up and the host offers to take a look at it, feel free to take him/her up on it. If the host offers to call his mechanic friend and come take a look at a later date, you decline.

If someone offers me a bottle of something that I would like, and I say "yes, thank you," how is that rude?

I understand that going to your friend's house with a tote bag and taking all their groceries out of the pantry is wrong, but if someone offers me a thing -- whatever that thing is -- and I take that thing graciously, how is this in any way a rude/wrong/incorrect thing to do? It's really easy to not offer people things that you don't want to give them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cultural differences

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

If someone offers me a bottle of something that I would like, and I say "yes, thank you," how is that rude?

I understand that going to your friend's house with a tote bag and taking all their groceries out of the pantry is wrong, but if someone offers me a thing -- whatever that thing is -- and I take that thing graciously, how is this in any way a rude/wrong/incorrect thing to do? It's really easy to not offer people things that you don't want to give them.

They didn't WANT to offer it, but it would be impolite not to, and you should know that. They are trapped by the same rules you are. There is no escape. Bless all of our hearts.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

BlueKingBar posted:

Can we start a second Civil War instead? :black101:

My pet peeve is people who say awful poo poo and then try to switch to "it's just a joke, quit being so X". Especially when other people side with it being a "joke" when it really obviously wasn't, just to get you to shut up.

This is less of a peeve for me and more a thing that will make sure I hate a person forever, nobody who does poo poo like this is ever a nice or good person

My bf keeps leaving the sink full of dirty water when he finishes the dishes instead of pulling the plug. WHY?

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

Ozz81 posted:

On topic: the women and leaving toilet seats up thing annoys me. I don't pee on the seat, then bitch that you didn't leave it up so I wouldn't pee on it. If you ain't gonna turn on a light and look before you sit, you're kind of an idiot.

That's funny: my pet peeve is men who bitch about this when they could just, you know, put the toilet seat back down. Or piss sitting down. Women need it down to urinate, deal with periods and defecate. Men need it down to poo poo. So the seat should spend the majority of the time down anyway.

Obviously the answer is to leave the bog lid down so everyone is equally inconvenienced, and also so that the flush spray doesn't land on your toothbrush.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

photinus posted:

That's funny: my pet peeve is men who bitch about this when they could just, you know, put the toilet seat back down. Or piss sitting down. Women need it down to urinate, deal with periods and defecate. Men need it down to poo poo. So the seat should spend the majority of the time down anyway.

Obviously the answer is to leave the bog lid down so everyone is equally inconvenienced, and also so that the flush spray doesn't land on your toothbrush.

Yeah I put the lid down when I flush because I don't want piss and poo poo spray getting all over me and things I put in my mouth.

also why do women urinate and defecate while men piss and poo poo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I store my toothbrush in my bedroom so that I can just piss all over the seat then half-assedly wipe it up with a single swipe with toilet paper then flush with the lid open.

An alternative is to put one of those weird fuzzy covers on the lid so you can dry the seat by closing the lid momentarily.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At work we have assigned rotations to clean the staff bathrooms. Most people do it without complaint, but there is one guy who refuses to clean the ladies' room. He will take a write-up instead of cleaning it, and it's not like the room is filthy either. He just refuses to do it. Then again his method of cleaning the mens' room is by spraying everything with aerosol Lysol so maybe it's a good thing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Slime posted:

also why do women urinate and defecate while men piss and poo poo

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It's a joke, gawd. Women don't poop or pee at all. Except when camping. We just bitch about toilet seats because we like jerking men around.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My phone is getting a bit old, and every time it decides to go unresponsive (even if it's only for half to a full minute) is enough to internally* drive me up a wall. I just want to do something, don't make me play the "Turn off the screen and turn it on to confirm it's hanging because the phone didn't even go to the lock screen" minigame.

Another phone-specific pet peeve is Google's map app. Generally works fine, but I wish it'd more often put up that little alert that you're going to be taking a left or a right soon after the current turn. It shows it sometimes, but never when it'd be really helpful to know that Im going from a far-left turn to a far-right turn in 10 seconds.

* Degrees of internally, of course. The kid next door has learned what impersonations are, and the one he has of me is me starting at my phone with a slight :sigh:.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Bast Relief posted:

It's a joke, gawd. Women don't poop or pee at all. Except when camping. We just bitch about toilet seats because we like jerking men around.

Is that why some women are so agitated? I can't imagine holding my poop or pee or farts until I can go camping, seems inconvenient and unhealthy :ohdear:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Ozz81 posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

IT support for family and friends is sometimes the bane of my existence. I might help once in a while (usually because people will offer to pay either with money, food, or doing something for me in return) but it gets really, really old hearing the same people constantly ask for computer support and assuming it's "free". No, sorry, they're taking time out of my day when I'd rather be doing anything BUT working on computer poo poo, and then they have the balls to get upset when I ask for payment, like I just walked into their house and stabbed their dog in front of them. At least once they hear that I want something in return, they either shut up or we find a decent compromise, so it's worked out for me :shrug:

"Cash, rear end, or grass - tech support isn't free"

In a couple of days, I'm going to be visiting my mother for the first time in four years. Because of my schedule, I can stay only three days. She wants me to spend this time 'fixing her computer*.' :suicide:

*'fixing her computer' = she hasn't run Malwarebytes or any of its ilk in the same four years since I moved away, and blames me that her computer runs too slowly and that 'all of these pop ups keep coming on the screen when I try to use it.' She claims it's because I installed Microsoft Office on it back then and that I've left 'too many icons' on the desktop. She has maybe ten icons on the desktop, all of which are daily-used things. Her issues have NOTHING to do with the fact that she never runs a virus checker or CCleaner or a registry cleaner, &c, is still using XP, and clicks on every goddamned banner ad/downloads fwd: fwd: fwd: attachments from the demifuckwits at her church, or anything like that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Websites that try and fail to implement a "jump to last read" post feature. I'm looking at you, somethingawful. 9 times out of 10 I click the last read button and it just jerks me around a bunch and pops me near the top of the page even if there was only one unread post on that page.

Basically any page that causes the content to move up and down. I can't even read the news without the article jumping up and down as videos load or ads pop up. Just make me wait a little longer for the whole page to load if you can't do it right.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That happens on Tumblr a lot where it'll try to hide a really long image set by compressing it after you've scrolled past it, but it takes a bunch of other posts with it, and when you try to scroll back up to read what you've just jumped past it re-loads the image set. It's like the webpage version of that awkward dance you do when you're trying to get past someone on the sidewalk and you both dodge in the same direction.

Also: when the youtube video ad loads in crisp 40k 600fps instantly and then the actual content is 144p and keeps pausing to buffer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Websites that try and fail to implement a "jump to last read" post feature. I'm looking at you, somethingawful. 9 times out of 10 I click the last read button and it just jerks me around a bunch and pops me near the top of the page even if there was only one unread post on that page.

Basically any page that causes the content to move up and down. I can't even read the news without the article jumping up and down as videos load or ads pop up. Just make me wait a little longer for the whole page to load if you can't do it right.

Embedded tweets seem to have broken the last read feature. Any pages with em never line up right.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
When news sites autoplay video versions of their articles. If I wanted to watch the news I'd turn on my dang television, but I don't and I won't so quit trying to guess what I want.

At least some sites now have the decency to have a few second countdown before the video plays so I can cancel it before it starts.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ugh, I've got a new one. When people on the internet talk really proudly about how they despise aristocracy/kingship/whatever.

Like, they're not wrong, but they've never had to scrape to a baron or whatever. And no, ceremonial first world tourist shows don't count. It has as much relevance to their lives as hating the Janissary corps or the imperial Chinese civil service.

I think it's just the sheer pride people have, unironically saying things like 'I bow to no one'. You don't get to be smug about standing up to something that's been dead for decades.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Arrath posted:

Embedded tweets seem to have broken the last read feature. Any pages with em never line up right.

Yeah, tweets and webms load it after everything else it seems.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I get that jump-around effect on a lot of places, especially if it's an image-heavy page on my mobile. Whatever system in place doesn't immediately set images to whatever size they are. A 10 pixel placeholder becomes a 800 pixel image, multiplied by X images, means a lot of posts suddenly expanding in size.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Ryoshi posted:

It was either go to the event I'd bought tickets for months before or sit by myself in an AirBnB rental house all day with no food and no car, but by all means go on passing judgment man.

I had assumed that was the case, actually.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Davinci posted:

When news sites autoplay video versions of their articles. If I wanted to watch the news I'd turn on my dang television, but I don't and I won't so quit trying to guess what I want.

At least some sites now have the decency to have a few second countdown before the video plays so I can cancel it before it starts.

http://www.theonion.com/video/christ-article-a-video-36101

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Strategic Tea posted:

Ugh, I've got a new one. When people on the internet talk really proudly about how they despise aristocracy/kingship/whatever.

Like, they're not wrong, but they've never had to scrape to a baron or whatever. And no, ceremonial first world tourist shows don't count. It has as much relevance to their lives as hating the Janissary corps or the imperial Chinese civil service.

I think it's just the sheer pride people have, unironically saying things like 'I bow to no one'. You don't get to be smug about standing up to something that's been dead for decades.

In the same vein, people who obsess about whatever monarchy and actually thinks they deserve their privileges. Especially if it is the monarchy of some other country :psyduck: I live in a republic and there are like five different magazines for these freaks.

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Mar 29, 2016

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Häagen-Dazs makes me so mad. It's supposed to sound Danish but it really loving doesn't.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Häagen-Dazs makes me so mad. It's supposed to sound Danish but it really loving doesn't.

To Americans who don't actually think about foreign languages it does.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ä doesn't even exist in Danish. Did they even try?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Dazs doesn't look even vaguely Scandinavian.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Tying in with this, people that bitch about politics and then...do absolutely nothing. Sorry, but when someone doesn't participate or vote or make their voice heard, then complains because poo poo doesn't go their way, it's on THEM. No excuses, none of this "not my fault, I didn't vote for him/vote at all" bullshit because YOU are part of the problem. When you do nothing, you change nothing - take some loving responsibility, be an adult and get off your lazy rear end.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Ozz81 posted:

Tying in with this, people that bitch about politics and then...do absolutely nothing. Sorry, but when someone doesn't participate or vote or make their voice heard, then complains because poo poo doesn't go their way, it's on THEM. No excuses, none of this "not my fault, I didn't vote for him/vote at all" bullshit because YOU are part of the problem. When you do nothing, you change nothing - take some loving responsibility, be an adult and get off your lazy rear end.

My pet peeve is when people have all kinds of weird opinions about voting.

I don't vote. There are many reasons as to why, but the biggest one is that, statistically speaking, my single vote will never determine the outcome of an election. And to say that just because I choose to not vote my political opinion is instantly invalidated? While 87 year old Mabel, who has dementia, and always votes Republican because she finds Reagan handsome, is worth listening to. Come on now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Well you might as well cancel her out, if just to lessen our chances of having a racist cheeto for president.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If you legit don't give a poo poo about who's going to be president then you should just vote for whomever your friends support

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Davinci posted:

If you legit don't give a poo poo about who's going to be president then you should just vote for whomever your friends support

I don't give a poo poo because quite frankly everything politicians promise is ultimately meaningless bullshit just to get them into office and then they do whatever the gently caress they want. It's just the left tries to appeal to rational people and the right tries to appeal to brainwashed idiots, but it's the same poo poo either way unless someone like W or Glenn Beck gets into office. Then it's even worse. Like, if I'm gonna vote it's literally just gonna be to cancel out a vote for the complete nutjob.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BlueKingBar posted:

I don't give a poo poo because quite frankly everything politicians promise is ultimately meaningless bullshit just to get them into office and then they do whatever the gently caress they want. It's just the left tries to appeal to rational people and the right tries to appeal to brainwashed idiots, but it's the same poo poo either way unless someone like W or Glenn Beck gets into office. Then it's even worse. Like, if I'm gonna vote it's literally just gonna be to cancel out a vote for the complete nutjob.

When one side is literally promising to enact Nazi-era policies regarding minorities, I think it's safe to say that they're objectively worse than the other side regardless of what the other side is.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
People misspelling my name when it's _right the gently caress there in plain text_. My name is Zack. With a 'K' at the end. It's right there in my Facebook profile - not 'Zachary', just Zack. Yet every few days, some stupid rear end in a top hat types out 'Zach' in a message or post. What the gently caress?

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
people trying to sound smart saying "from time x eastern standard time to time y eastern standard time" for the love of god and all that is holy, it's not stardard time anymore, it's mother loving cock gobbling day light savings time, drives me loving insane to see EST all year regardless of time of year to sound smart, it makes you sound loving pants on head retarded :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

People misspelling my name when it's _right the gently caress there in plain text_. My name is Zack. With a 'K' at the end. It's right there in my Facebook profile - not 'Zachary', just Zack. Yet every few days, some stupid rear end in a top hat types out 'Zach' in a message or post. What the gently caress?

I had a student a few years ago who never managed to get my name right. For the entire seven-week class, every time she emailed me, she called me the wrong name. My email address contains my first name.