Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think so. There are some fundamental differences between racial segregation and what's going on with LGBT people. The biggest is that you obviously don't get to choose if you're black or not. You're born that way. The right believes that being gay is a choice. In racial segregation there were white towns and black towns. There are no gay towns; there is just "get out of America if you are gay we are a Christian nation and hate you."

With things like sundown towns the primary message was "know your place and stay there." With the right and gays it's "you do not have a right to exist. Remove yourself from reality or we will do it for you."

Not true. To the right you can either be thuggish, poor, intimidating, angry, etc. and be black or you can be a Republican and be...something else. Like something different, but almost as good as a white person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Not true. To the right you can either be thuggish, poor, intimidating, angry, etc. and be black or you can be a Republican and be...something else. Like something different, but almost as good as a white person.

Wherein lies the problem. To the right a black person is forever a second-class citizen. They can be "one of the good ones" if they completely sell out to the GOP but they'll find barriers in place. Look how the Republican party responded to a black president. That is not knowing your place. That's saying "gently caress your barriers" and smashing them down which to the GOP is utterly unacceptable.

Ben Carson will never, ever be the Republican nominee. He's only there so they can have their token black character and say "see? We don't hate black people."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

How could this be!? Right wing bloggers and wannabe pundits....lying and not checking sources???

Truly, Trump has turned the world upside down now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wherein lies the problem. To the right a black person is forever a second-class citizen. They can be "one of the good ones" if they completely sell out to the GOP but they'll find barriers in place. Look how the Republican party responded to a black president. That is not knowing your place. That's saying "gently caress your barriers" and smashing them down which to the GOP is utterly unacceptable.

Ben Carson will never, ever be the Republican nominee. He's only there so they can have their token black character and say "see? We don't hate black people."

Agreed. Carson only got as far as he did because the Republicans wanted an example to point at as "proof" that they aren't racists since the Democrats had a white field. When he outlived his usefulness, he was promptly discarded for the next white guy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Juan Williams Effect

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. Carson only got as far as he did because the Republicans wanted an example to point at as "proof" that they aren't racists since the Democrats had a white field. When he outlived his usefulness, he was promptly discarded for the next white guy.

Except Carson is like the 3rd major black token since 2009.

Michael Steele , the first black chairmen of the RNC.
The pizza guy in 2012.
Carson.

The early self destruction of the GOP means we'll never see if the rule of tokenism will ever be broken. Can a male non-WASP make it pass the primaries*?

*Technically Cruz could break it but he passes the paper bag test.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DavidLimbaugh/status/713784611852173313

You have got to be loving kidding me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkVu14Q_bw

One loving link proves that argument is full of poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

Except Carson is like the 3rd major black token since 2009.

Michael Steele , the first black chairmen of the RNC.
The pizza guy in 2012.
Carson.

The early self destruction of the GOP means we'll never see if the rule of tokenism will ever be broken. Can a male non-WASP make it pass the primaries*?

*Technically Cruz could break it but he passes the paper bag test.

Eventually? Yes. If the GOP survives long enough they're going to discard racism out of necessity for survival. White people are going to not be a majority by themselves in America for very long and Christianity is also on the decline. Maybe they can reshape themselves, maybe they can't; authoritarianism crops up pretty much everywhere and there are conservative traditionalists in every demographic you can think of.

The question is if they can survive what they're doing to themselves right now. The establishment realizes that its platform is unsustainable and that its primary demographics are literally dying. Once old white people clinging to their God, guns, and grit die off they'll need more demographics. Their primary plan was to try for the Latino vote but Trump seems to be doing a very, very good job of torpedoing that with his "lol gently caress you Mexico" antics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eventually? Yes. If the GOP survives long enough they're going to discard racism out of necessity for survival. White people are going to not be a majority by themselves in America for very long and Christianity is also on the decline. Maybe they can reshape themselves, maybe they can't; authoritarianism crops up pretty much everywhere and there are conservative traditionalists in every demographic you can think of.

The question is if they can survive what they're doing to themselves right now. The establishment realizes that its platform is unsustainable and that its primary demographics are literally dying. Once old white people clinging to their God, guns, and grit die off they'll need more demographics. Their primary plan was to try for the Latino vote but Trump seems to be doing a very, very good job of torpedoing that with his "lol gently caress you Mexico" antics.

Itll be really interesting to see what the next cycles' Republican party is like.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Itll be really interesting to see what the next cycles' Republican party is like.

Probably about the same, maybe with a more moderate candidate because hey it's an incumbent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

Probably about the same, maybe with a more moderate candidate because hey it's an incumbent.

I was thinking more about the down ticket.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was thinking more about the down ticket.

Downticket I expect campaign slogans like "I WILL PERSONALLY RIP THE WHORE PRESIDENT'S TITS OFF AND EAT THEM FOR BABY JESUS" scrawled across brick walls in blood.

The crazy well doesn't have a bottom as far as I can tell.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm curious to see if after another 2-4 years of the Republican base posting around their neighbours and family on Facebook, said victims develop a callous to their behavior much like how the more blantant ad campaigns of the Mad Men era fell out of favor. I feel like social media's ability to artificially inflated political movements may have already reached and passed its nadir with a portion of the electorate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hermetic posted:

Downticket I expect campaign slogans like "I WILL PERSONALLY RIP THE WHORE PRESIDENT'S TITS OFF AND EAT THEM FOR BABY JESUS" scrawled across brick walls in blood.

The crazy well doesn't have a bottom as far as I can tell.

It's already come to the point where they just barely keep themselves from calling President Obama uppity on national television, so I could see the crazy really ramping up.

RuanGacho posted:

I'm curious to see if after another 2-4 years of the Republican base posting around their neighbours and family on Facebook, said victims develop a callous to their behavior much like how the more blantant ad campaigns of the Mad Men era fell out of favor. I feel like social media's ability to artificially inflated political movements may have already reached and passed its nadir with a portion of the electorate.

I hope so, but the endless rage doesn't seem to have any stopping point so far.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyways. I don't know what the hell happened to Beck to drag him more and more down into the depths of insanity. I recall when I first was introduced to him? He was like a diet Rush Limbaugh. He used to make jokes, and was very self-deprecating. Think more along the lines of a morning zoo dj meets say...Red Eye/Greg Gutfield type.

2008 just broke him for some reason. He started to pretend he was this pseudo historian, and then started to build himself up as a tea party messiah figure.

His comments on Ted Cruz bug the hell out of me because...that's just...INSANE. To annoint someone as a prophet of God like that just...wow.

He started to believe his own bullshit. I think he was orignaly always conservative but not as crazy as people say. eventualy after being sorounded by nutjobs and consuming only nutjob related poo poo. he lost his mind. "if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." and all that poo poo. I think the power went to his head blew up his ego. Now he sits in his corner playing kingmaker to court of hosed fools.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

FMguru posted:

It's a template that a lot of liberal issue groups could learn from (especially the importance of ignoring your putative allies telling you to "go slow" and not "rock the boat" and "oh geeze but the backlash")

This. There's a drat good reason democrats earned the "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". Rebuplicans pick their position and fight for it, democrats shuffle around until they get their rear end handed to them again and again and again then whine about youth voters not showing up. Because they don't do a loving thing to represent them or what they want. The month-ish period democrats had actually majorities in 2009/2010 Pelosi got a staggering amount done and when 2010 comes around instead of proudly saying "Look what we got done when you gave us the ability to do it" they slide to the middle, and distance themselves from Obama and the ACA and get the ever loving poo poo kicked out of them. When the website got overloaded half the loving democrats fell over themselves to not be associated with what people wanted. They refuse to pick up the banners of things even enough conservatives want like minimum wage that it polls in the 70s and 80s. Every time it's polled or put on a ballot it gets massive support. People loving want it and they are afraid to touch it becauase some right leaning voters might not like them anymore that they feel the need to pander to because liberals won't vote for them completely and repeatedly not getting that's the reason why.. Liberals love trollbama now because he finally stopped playing nice and is calling them on their poo poo.

Brownback could have been gone in 2012(14?) the democrat was up in the polls until they finally found one piece of dirt. When he was 26 and single he went to a strip club. Instead growing a spine and saying so what he apologizes and loses. A republican governor spends taxpayer money on weeklong trips to Argentina to gently caress his mistress, doesn't back down and get re-elected. Yeah I'll Quote west wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSMyFWTjRc

McAlister posted:

DOMA got 85 votes in the senate. Eighty loving five. Bipartisan supermajorities.

Tactical retreats are a thing. Moving a fight from where you are getting your rear end whupped to a place you can win isn't weak, it's smart. And pushing gay rights issues successfully ( aids funding, open appointments, DADT, etc ) when a big chunk of your own party is against you is a big loving deal.

The amendment threat was bullshit, it didn't even actually happen till 2004. Maybe a more toxic bill would have been introduced but all we have is Bill and Hillary saying it. Republicans then weren't nearly as stupid, they knew the could override his veto without risking losing anyone with a more toxic bill you really think they would have risked being able to rub it in Clintons face? And if they did pass it get actual liberals to run against them, the loving tea party did it easily, motivate democrats to vote for someone who isn't a republican lite. And again. You veto it because it was loving wrong and say so loudly and proudly, point out why it's loving abhorrent and let them explain why treating gays like second class citizens is right.

It's why Sanders was needed so badly. No he wasn't going to win but he did what was needed: push Hillary to actually stand for the right causes.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I saw another news story about the US running out of bombs despite the massive military-industrial complex:

Link: Trigger Warning: Gawker

Has anyone ever seen a "Obama isnt doing enough" right winger try to explain this?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I saw another news story about the US running out of bombs despite the massive military-industrial complex:

Link: Trigger Warning: Gawker

Has anyone ever seen a "Obama isnt doing enough" right winger try to explain this?

Easy: terrorists still exist. The only way that could possibly happen is if we weren't tough enough. Right wingers can't warp their heads around the idea that a war against a tactic doesn't work or that we can't just bomb "the bad guys" like they do in movies. The right wing candidates will then promise to do even more because perpetual war makes for easy campaigning.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Toasticle posted:

A republican governor spends taxpayer money on weeklong trips to Argentina to gently caress his mistress, doesn't back down and get re-elected.

Not really. He limped to the end of his term as governor and left in disgrace. Before the scandal, he was a potential presidential candidate. Two years later, he won back his old seat in the House of Representatives during a special election, but it was a huge step-down from his previous political strength.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jurgan posted:

Not really. He limped to the end of his term as governor and left in disgrace. Before the scandal, he was a potential presidential candidate. Two years later, he won back his old seat in the House of Representatives during a special election, but it was a huge step-down from his previous political strength.

Living in SC, the moral equivalency and cognitive dissonance from the Party of Morality™ was a sight to behold, let me tell you.

So much so that the GOP has largely crushed his wife for basically every misstep locally. The misogyny is rampant.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If Hillary wins in 2016, how much of right wing media stars will go into a downward spiral of utter despair and hatred for the Republican Party

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If Hillary wins in 2016, how much of right wing media stars will go into a downward spiral of utter despair and hatred for the Republican Party

Not nearly as nuclear as they're going to go a week later when it turns out that she got a lot of GOP votes from people who despised whoever the nom is, even after said talking head embraced them and listed their virtues.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Maybe they'll get a big rise out of it. Nothing motivates people quite like hate and anger and self-righteousness. If the GOP loses, they get to continue playing the poor oppressed victim and see that sweet hate money come rolling in.

Maybe the right wing media will have a lot more trouble surviving if the GOP wins. Then they have to immediately shift gears toward defending the horrible new administration and how everything is great, America great, you have to support the president and if you're not you're a drat traitor and blah blah.

What I wonder is how ordinary idiot voters will respond. Like that crazy woman who went on a screaming fit and posted it online after Obama was re-elected. Would there be a spike in suicides, domestic violence or mass shootings for a while?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Kenzie posted:

Maybe the right wing media will have a lot more trouble surviving if the GOP wins. Then they have to immediately shift gears toward defending the horrible new administration and how everything is great, America great, you have to support the president and if you're not you're a drat traitor and blah blah.

Canada attempted having a "Fox News North" for a while with SUN TV - a kind of broadcast extension of those right-leaning tabloids whose main attraction were the "sunshine girls" pin-ups of bikini models. SUN TV failed to make past the term of the prime minister because they tried to be a pro-conservative news network in the middle of an already conservative government. They didn't get to play the political underdog card, so the only time anyone ever heard about them was when their O'Reilly knockoff said something horribly racist, usually about the Roma in Europe. Combine that with really bad internal management where a lot of anchors were having their paycheques delayed by weeks, SUN TV was shuttered mere months before the election of a liberal government.

The point here is that it is very much not within Fox's interest to actually have a republican presidency of any sort. Unless their ideology is already in the ascendant, actually electing their guy into high office will adversely affect their bottom line. (And they're already paying their non-patronage staff pretty poorly.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't imagine what Sean Hannity would do with his days if there was a Republican president, Congress, and Supreme Court. He'd spend the whole day whining about BLM and college campus safe spaces. He'd be broken.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I can't imagine what Sean Hannity would do with his days if there was a Republican president, Congress, and Supreme Court. He'd spend the whole day whining about BLM and college campus safe spaces. He'd be broken.

No, he'd be bitching about how they aren't conservative enough. See: Bush Presidency.

Oh and mocking everything a democrat said in protest and fishing up examples of how they acted when they were in power to similar complaints.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If there's a Dem President, Fox will go full on attack mode and ignore how they lost.

If its a Reb President they will do what they did for the Iraq war, bluntly say 'hes our president your must support him'.

Hannity and O'Reilly will just glassy eye forget everything they said over the last year and be full of president cheering and denouncing everyone else for not being patriotic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If a Republican wins you're going to see the hate machine turn into an attack machine. I'd honestly expect McCarthyism to come back in full force; if it's a Republican president with a Republican Congress and a Republican SCOTUS you're going to see them becoming full on propaganda machines more than they already are. "Well see it's a good thing that black people have curfews outside of their own neighborhoods because they don't know any better..." and so forth. Expect to be told that gerrymandering is a good thing because those people are uneducated and don't know how to vote properly so their influence must be minimized.

We'll be getting told who to hate today and how we need to carpet bomb every last inch of the rest of the planet because they aren't us and are therefore wrong.

The shift will be away from "Oblammo is a traitor and we must stop him! Demonrats are evil we must stop them!" and toward "is YOUR neighbor a communist?" They seriously want the Red Scare back. They want to be in control and purge all the undesirables.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

They're going to need the energy to delegitimize her for the next four years though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The shift will be away from "Oblammo is a traitor and we must stop him!

Hah, it will just turn to 'Obama WAS a traitor' and there will be a bill or two calling for his jailing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So this whole Cuba affair is kind of confusing to me. Obama wants to open up trade relations in the hopes that this will push Cuba further towards capitalism, after 50 years of not doing anything didn't seem to...well, do anything, and the righties are completely flipping out about it? How is it a bad thing trying to make Cuba less communist? The mighty Ronaldus Magnus may have crushed the Soviet Union, but even he wasn't able to do anything about Cuba.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr Interweb posted:

So this whole Cuba affair is kind of confusing to me. Obama wants to open up trade relations in the hopes that this will push Cuba further towards capitalism, after 50 years of not doing anything didn't seem to...well, do anything, and the righties are completely flipping out about it? How is it a bad thing trying to make Cuba less communist? The mighty Ronaldus Magnus may have crushed the Soviet Union, but even he wasn't able to do anything about Cuba.

I think its some combination of "nothing Obama does is good", "Obama is friends with all the wrong people", "we're old enough to still be scared of Commies and the Cold War", and "old Cuban's who hate Castro more than anything are one of our few conservative minority influences."

When I've actually engaged any conservative in a discussion about it and posed the simple questions of "what was the embargo accomplishing?" and "why are we treating Cuba harsher than so many other worse countries?" they all more or less shut down to the Obama stuff.

Like, they got lucky that a bunch of people were killed by Muslims so they could really focus on "Obama was at a baseball game while Americans Belgians were dying." Otherwise it would have just been a lot of "ESPN PRAISED CASTRO BY SAYING HE LOVED BASEBALL!" But instead they've been able to just use Cuba to criticize Obama on ISIS and are focused on the "tone" and "Obama sends the wrong message" standbys.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr Interweb posted:

The righties would flip out about anything Obama did, if he personally created a cure for HIV/AIDS and gave it away for free they would find away to vilify him.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Cuba may be small, but the Communist pressure there is very high. Opening up trade will result in a slow uptick of Communism in the USA!

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

They've invested so much into the "Obama is The other/ hates America" narrative that they need to find a way to fit it into virtually everything he does. There's no logic to it, it's just reflexive hatred.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dexo posted:

The righties would flip out about anything Obama did, if he personally created a cure for HIV/AIDS and gave it away for free they would find away to vilify him.

What about pharmaceutical companies and ARE JOB CREATORS' profit margins on HIV/AIDS drugs?

He'd get attacked for hurting jobs

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dexo posted:

That one's easy. "This cure just gives people permission to have promiscuous sex and do drugs!" They've already done the same thing with the HPV vaccine.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

They think Obama is a marxist. So when Obama visits Cuba and meets up with Castro it's obviously because he wants to build up and strengthen his evil marxist empire. That's why he posed for photos in front of the big Che Guevara mural.

Duh.

(There are countless people who actually believe this)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kenzie posted:

They think Obama is a marxist. So when Obama visits Cuba and meets up with Castro it's obviously because he wants to build up and strengthen his evil marxist empire. That's why he posed for photos in front of the big Che Guevara mural.

Duh.

(There are countless people who actually believe this)

Crowder dosent seem to have problems keeping Andrew Jackson on the 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think its some combination of "nothing Obama does is good", "Obama is friends with all the wrong people", "we're old enough to still be scared of Commies and the Cold War", and "old Cuban's who hate Castro more than anything are one of our few conservative minority influences."

When I've actually engaged any conservative in a discussion about it and posed the simple questions of "what was the embargo accomplishing?" and "why are we treating Cuba harsher than so many other worse countries?" they all more or less shut down to the Obama stuff.

Like, they got lucky that a bunch of people were killed by Muslims so they could really focus on "Obama was at a baseball game while Americans Belgians were dying." Otherwise it would have just been a lot of "ESPN PRAISED CASTRO BY SAYING HE LOVED BASEBALL!" But instead they've been able to just use Cuba to criticize Obama on ISIS and are focused on the "tone" and "Obama sends the wrong message" standbys.

Harping on the "we're old enough to be scared of Commies and the Cold War", this is also another sign that their generation is becoming more and more irrelevant. Between this and Sanders being openly socialist, they see the fears that defined their youths have less and less power and, ironically, only become more terrified.

Having the opportunity to blame Obama for it all is just a bonus.