Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Here's a mockup of my suggested military symbology in a ready to use OOB!

Stuckart is still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wiz posted:

Seriously, it's fine if you guys prefer NATO counters, but assuming that everyone in the world will find 'box with line' the most intuitive representation of a cavalry unit is pretty silly.

If they don't already, or aren't willing to learn, you shouldn't be making a game for them anyway :colbert:

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I like counters. I understand if dumb normies don't, though.

It's kinda hard to cram a clear icon into such a tiny space.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm not learning what a bunch of boxes and lines mean just to destroy computer fascists.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Epinephrine posted:

Actually, if the horse icon is hard to read, why not just adopt the knight icon from chess?

Of all proposed arguments, I like this one the best. It's abstract, but it's well-known enough to indicate "Yeah, that's horses!"

Introduce a NATO counter DLC to CK2, please!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, this is a non-issue. If you want NATO counters because you're a military nerd, they're there. If you're like me and don't really care that much, I'm sure Paradox's counters will do a good job of 'glance at that, oh I recognize that icon it's supposed to be a horse, I know that's cavalry, I don't need to remember what's what'.

Now if you want to make fun of Paradox's artistic skills, that's another thing, but don't flip the hell out because they're actually doing the right thing and giving both sides their favored options.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

I'm not learning what a bunch of boxes and lines mean just to destroy computer fascists.
I have no problem with that.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yeah same I didn't bother to learn how trade worked in eu4 with all the centers of trade, trade steering, light ships, trade routes, upwards and downwards streams, trade value and power, trade goods, merchant bonuses, mercantilism, and all that garbage. Or how combat worked with discipline, morale, supplies, generals, fire and shock, artillery, choosing between different units, tech groups, cavalry penalty, terrain penalty, and all that useless poo poo. Since day one I've kept my head in the sand and just rolled all over the keyboard with my toes without bothering to understand what any of the numbers or symbols on the screen mean.

Dunno why a dumb counter is where some of you nerds draw a line that can never be cross

Also the horse looks like poo poo

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Yeah same I didn't bother to learn how trade worked in eu4 with all the centers of trade, trade steering, light ships, trade routes, upwards and downwards streams, trade value and power, trade goods, merchant bonuses, mercantilism, and all that garbage. Or how combat worked with discipline, morale, supplies, generals, fire and shock, artillery, choosing between different units, tech groups, cavalry penalty, terrain penalty, and all that useless poo poo. Since day one I've kept my head in the sand and just rolled all over the keyboard with my toes without bothering to understand what any of the numbers or symbols on the screen mean.

Dunno why a dumb counter is where some of you nerds draw a line that can never be cross

Also the horse looks like poo poo

There's a difference between learning something because it is a game mechanic, and learning something because grognards on the internet get mad if their WW2 game does not force everyone to use NATO counters.

Have you ever considered that you may care just a bit too much about NATO counters?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, this is a non-issue. If you want NATO counters because you're a military nerd, they're there. If you're like me and don't really care that much, I'm sure Paradox's counters will do a good job of 'glance at that, oh I recognize that icon it's supposed to be a horse, I know that's cavalry, I don't need to remember what's what'.

Now if you want to make fun of Paradox's artistic skills, that's another thing, but don't flip the hell out because they're actually doing the right thing and giving both sides their favored options.

I can only imagine the comment section of streamers during the preview period. God help them if they don't use NATO counters.

Wiz posted:

There's a difference between learning something because it is a game mechanic, and learning something because grognards on the internet get mad if their WW2 game does not force everyone to use NATO counters.

Have you ever considered that you may care just a bit too much about NATO counters?

I still maintain that NATO symbols are the superior design, given their better readability and scalability.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I installed a mod for EU4 that removes the color coding from numbers(green = good, red = bad :rolleyes:). This should have been in from the start but paradix had to cater to casuals as always.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GaussianCopula posted:

I can only imagine the comment section of streamers during the preview period. God help them if they don't use NATO counters.

I still maintain that NATO symbols are the superior design, given their better readability and scalability.

Honestly, I'd almost be in favor of removing NATO counters from HOI4 just to spite the people who are physically incapable of shutting up about them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I used to think counters were unintuitive garbage symbols for weird nerds, then I sort of learned them after playing Arma/Flashpoint and am ok with them and even prefer them in some cases. It's a minor matter of preference and it's weird people can get so upset and passionate about them when it's already fully optional so everyone should be happy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Wiz posted:

Honestly, I'd almost be in favor of removing NATO counters from HOI4 just to spite the people who are physically incapable of shutting up about them.

Do you think that would improve the situation?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wiz posted:

Preorder uncancelled.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GaussianCopula posted:

Obviously not, but it'd be pretty funny.

(The previous post was not 100% serious in case you couldn't tell)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

Have you considered that I've played a single ww2 wargame in my life, pc or board (one of the bridge too far series) and you seem to be projecting a bit onto the general "you"? It seems petty and defensive to me that in a game where there will be a ton of information presented in every screen, with so many buttons and interactions possible from shift clicking to right clicking to oh mouseover this here and it tells you more information, a game where each weapon page has so many stats that my eyes just roll up and it all becomes meaningless; a rectangle with lines or circles in them is where you stand you ground, turn your nose up and say heh we may be nerds but we're not that nerdy. Get over it, who cares if someone wants to play with NATO counters

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It would be funny.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

GaussianCopula posted:

True. I play these games from my couch with a gamepad and clear graphics help when you're squinting at a TV. I have some good times hanging with my bros yelling at the TV when we throw down some casus belli on some bitch rear end OPMs.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DrSunshine posted:

Of all proposed arguments, I like this one the best. It's abstract, but it's well-known enough to indicate "Yeah, that's horses!"

Introduce a NATO counter DLC to CK2, please!

We do need to use the horse counter when Glitterhoof is commanding an army, at least.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Have you considered that I've played a single ww2 wargame in my life, pc or board (one of the bridge too far series) and you seem to be projecting a bit onto the general "you"? It seems petty and defensive to me that in a game where there will be a ton of information presented in every screen, with so many buttons and interactions possible from shift clicking to right clicking to oh mouseover this here and it tells you more information, a game where each weapon page has so many stats that my eyes just roll up and it all becomes meaningless; a rectangle with lines or circles in them is where you stand you ground, turn your nose up and say heh we may be nerds but we're not that nerdy. Get over it, who cares if someone wants to play with NATO counters

No one. No one cares if you want to use NATO counters, that's why we put the choice in. The only arguments against them are they are not perfect wonder-icons for true wargamers, the are not intuitive, and not everyone cares to learn them.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 27, 2016

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be funny.

Crushing nerds improves every situation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I think this passionate plea finally convinced them, I just got the brand new information none of us knew that nato counters will now be in Hoi4 as an option. They're in, we won, we can put the topic to bed and sleep sound in victory over the vile casuals.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You're perfectly welcome to use NATO counters. This whole discussion started with a bunch of bitching about the fact that there is an alternative to NATO counters, which is what irritated me. If anything, it's the NATO counter affectionados who are mad that filthy casuals are allowed to use horse icons that actually look like a laser gun or something??

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I was promised war dogs, preorder re-cancelled

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

You're perfectly welcome to use NATO counters. This whole discussion started with a bunch of bitching about the fact that there is an alternative to NATO counters, which is what irritated me.

You can't just have optional NATO counters to make everyone happy, you need to know you acknowledge they are superior and the people demanding you do so are good and smart and hansom and not-grogs. We need to see inside your heart and find only nato counters there.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

You're perfectly welcome to use NATO counters. This whole discussion started with a bunch of bitching about the fact that there is an alternative to NATO counters, which is what irritated me. If anything, it's the NATO counter affectionados who are made that filthy casuals use horse icons that actually look like a laser gun or something??

No it started by someone questioning the superiority of NATO symbols with regards to design (though in retrospective, it might have been a joke about someone misspelling the word appealing as appalling).

Baronjutter posted:

I think this passionate plea finally convinced them, I just got the brand new information none of us knew that nato counters will now be in Hoi4 as an option. They're in, we won, we can put the topic to bed and sleep sound in victory over the vile casuals.

But it's not the default option. There should at least be a popup asking whether the player is a filthy casual who is intellectually unable to use abstract symbols every time the game starts until the player activates NATO symbols.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

You can't just have optional NATO counters to make everyone happy, you need to know you acknowledge they are superior and the people demanding you do so are good and smart and hansom and not-grogs. We need to see inside your heart and find only nato counters there.

I'm gonna let you in on a lil secret: I don't play with NATO counters.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

You're perfectly welcome to use NATO counters. This whole discussion started with a bunch of bitching about the fact that there is an alternative to NATO counters, which is what irritated me. If anything, it's the NATO counter affectionados who are mad that filthy casuals are allowed to use horse icons that actually look like a laser gun or something??

Are you cross posting from the paradox forum and setting up an argument against what was said there to use it here? It started here from a poster not realizing there was an option to use NATO counters. Then someone else compared to the readability of the NATO cavalry counter vs the current hoi4 one and he had a point there in that the horse icon was crap. That's all there was to the something awful forums paradox thread.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Are you cross posting from the paradox forum and setting up an argument against what was said there to use it here? It started here from a poster not realizing there was an option to use NATO counters. Then someone else compared to the readability of the NATO cavalry counter vs the current hoi4 one and he had a point there in that the horse icon was crap. That's all there was to the something awful forums paradox thread.

Maybe I'm just really goddamn sick of hearing about NATO counters because jfc do HOI4 posters never shut up about their precious NATO counters. Sorry if I overreacted.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's okay friend, I'm sorry if I was overly hostile too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a lil secret: I don't play with NATO counters.

Ability to feel human: removed

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Rumda posted:

Crushing nerds improves every situation.

Said the paradox games player on the something awful forums.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
B
E
NATO COUNTERS
G
H
A
Z
I

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Why were there NATO counters in the first 3 HOI games?

Wait, are there counters in HOI 1? I can't find any screenshots that don't use sprites.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

Maybe I'm just really goddamn sick of hearing about NATO counters because jfc do HOI4 posters never shut up about their precious NATO counters. Sorry if I overreacted.

Can you just do what you threatened to do a few pages back and remove the counters from the game? Please also have the WWW presenters very clearly point out that they have been removed and why this coming Wednesday so that we can watch everyone on reddit and Paradox Plaza blame us and flip out. I'll love watching that shitstorm unfold as well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It's okay friend, I'm sorry if I was overly hostile too.

Wiz posted:

World Tension has decreased!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm more concerned about the models than the counters-- have we seen any close shots yet of the German infantry models on the map? I'm really hoping Paradox wasn't sloppy and accidentally gave the '36 infantry M40 or- God forbid!- M43 Wehrmacht uniforms.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Epinephrine posted:

The intuitive part comes from the fact they they combine cleanly: if you see and X and O superimposed you know its mechanized, if you see an X with wheels it has trucks, and if you see an artillery dot with wheels you know it's self-propelled, etc.
That's neat, didn't realize that. I think Paradox should take that logic further and explore non-historical options, much like they do with the national focus system. I want air defense cavalry, tank cavalry, infantry artillery, you name it. If it's a NATO symbol I want it mixed with every other NATO symbol, and for Paradox to produce units matching those.

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm more concerned about the models than the counters-- have we seen any close shots yet of the German infantry models on the map? I'm really hoping Paradox wasn't sloppy and accidentally gave the '36 infantry M40 or- God forbid!- M43 Wehrmacht uniforms.
Hopefully my SS divisions will be properly Aryan.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Ofaloaf posted:

Not sure how old these are, they could be outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drone posted:

Kavak, please implement zebra cavalry for Mittelafrika in the HOI4 version of the Kaiserreich mod.

I'm actually tempted to make a unique sprite for the camel units the Ottomans have.

Westminster System posted:

Well he quit and came back a few times, railed against moderating at some point, thought that his inability to convert a mod was a conspiracy over not getting access to beta patch documentation that didn't even exist or something like that, you know, the usual. That latter bit im fuzzy on but it was something to do with a mod conversion. Just loads of random stuff really, paradox standard fare.

Nobody knew what the gently caress he was talking about, but he was demanding access to a beta patch that didn't exist yet. One time he quit because he thought Russia and the US were about to start WWIII over Syria. That's the level of political acumen you really want in someone developing a mod based on modern day politics.