Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ColHannibal posted:

Just don't buy from mass drop.

Have problems with them? I've gotten a few mice from them before with no issues, other than it takes a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Haha, yeah I was getting model airplane flashbacks myself. I think that's the most complicated mouse I've ever seen.

Most of the talk on it was pretty negative. Not a super great shape, bad DPI steps (500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000), sniper button is fixed at 250DPI, weighs 125g without cord (more than the G502) because it has weights added on the inside, no software of any sort. It's a no-name company throwing OEM parts together, doesn't even sound like there's any warranty or support.

If you want a dirt cheap mouse with a 3310, you're probably better off going for a Roccat Kone (which is $40 and potentially free shipping from Amazon). Or just spring for $50 for a Castor or Naos 7000 instead.

Not sure if there are any better cheaper options for that sensor right now though.

That's too bad about the tek syndicate mouse but I guess they succeeded in getting that sensor available for a low price, so if that's your only consideration then it's good. I have a G502 so I'm set but I think the locked in DPI presets are probably what would kill that one for me since I go between 1600 for normal use and 800 for shooting planetmans..

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Thread title needs updating: Should I buy a $150 mouse?

is that a torn-down g900? jesus that's a lot of parts

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Have problems with them? I've gotten a few mice from them before with no issues, other than it takes a little while.

Well your saving not a lot of money, and their customer support is a little iffy you bought it through mass drop I hear.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, that's the g900. I guess that's what happens when you try to cram so many features in your mouse and also have a really crazy looking shell. Heck, each of the LMB and RMB have their own individual PCBs.

ColHannibal posted:

Well your saving not a lot of money, and their customer support is a little iffy you bought it through mass drop I hear.

Oh wow, the Naos is only $55 on Amazon permanently now. Yeah definitely don't go through Massdrop for that then.

Castor is still $70 though, and has only been $65 at the cheapest on sale. So if you aren't in a hurry, you can still save $20 from Massdrop on that one. Not surprised about the customer service thing, though I haven't really heard great things about Mionix's support in general.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, that's the g900. I guess that's what happens when you try to cram so many features in your mouse and also have a really crazy looking shell. Heck, each of the LMB and RMB have their own individual PCBs.

Oh wow, the Naos is only $55 on Amazon permanently now. Yeah definitely don't go through Massdrop for that then.

Castor is still $70 though, and has only been $65 at the cheapest on sale. So if you aren't in a hurry, you can still save $20 from Massdrop on that one. Not surprised about the customer service thing, though I haven't really heard great things about Mionix's support in general.

Yea, support is hard when your a small fish. I expect them to be bought by someone soon as they keep coming out with these awesome designs. I've half debated buying another naos to live in my closet as I like it so much.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Sorry folks - I have been spending a lot more time in OCN's thread than anywhere else.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's not due to space constraints - it's for click performance. The LMB and RMB PCBs are separate from the main board because it allows them to be rotated slightly forward so that the microswitch is normal to the direction of travel of the actuator on the key. This allows the click action to be completely vertical relative to the switch orientation, rather than at an angle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since someone will ask, by "normal" he means perpendicular.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Hey Logitech dude while you're in the thread I'd like to re-iterate just how much I like the G602 - I'm using one at home and one at work and have bought a couple more as gifts. It's definitely the first wireless gaming mouse that I've considered usable full time - it's comfortable and battery life is excellent even in performance mode.

So great job on that model, more like that please.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Goo posted:

It's not due to space constraints - it's for click performance. The LMB and RMB PCBs are separate from the main board because it allows them to be rotated slightly forward so that the microswitch is normal to the direction of travel of the actuator on the key. This allows the click action to be completely vertical relative to the switch orientation, rather than at an angle.

Yeah that makes sense looking at the disassembled picture. I see the switches actually sit angled towards the front, pretty neat. You're CPate on OCN I take it?

Also it sounded like some people got a $20 discount code for it? Do you happen to know anything about that?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Yes I am CPate on OCN, also LogitechG_Chris on reddit and some other places.

I do not know anything about a discount code. Do you have a link?

dissss posted:

Hey Logitech dude while you're in the thread I'd like to re-iterate just how much I like the G602 - I'm using one at home and one at work and have bought a couple more as gifts. It's definitely the first wireless gaming mouse that I've considered usable full time - it's comfortable and battery life is excellent even in performance mode.

So great job on that model, more like that please.
Thanks. Anything specific about it that drives that? Shape, number of buttons, battery life?

Josh Lyman posted:

Since someone will ask, by "normal" he means perpendicular.
Yeah, sorry. I'm not trying to sound like I'm smarter than I am, I'm just quoting the mechanical engineer who designed it because when I said perpendicular he looked at me and said "...normal".

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vector calc for mouse nerds.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I wanted to make "Mouse Nerd" my formal job title but HR exists.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Goo posted:

Yes I am CPate on OCN, also LogitechG_Chris on reddit and some other places.

I do not know anything about a discount code. Do you have a link?

I looked again and I guess it was just one person who said they got it, in the OCN thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1595573/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-announced/110#post_25018113
Unless I misread his post it sounded like he got a $20 coupon for the Logitech US website.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've been enjoying my G502 but dang do the mouse feet love to accumulate every spec of dirt on a mousepad on the edges.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've been enjoying my G502 but dang do the mouse feet love to accumulate every spec of dirt on a mousepad on the edges.

The feet on mine don't seem to be doing too bad, it's all the gaps around the small buttons that's getting crammed with gunk.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I looked again and I guess it was just one person who said they got it, in the OCN thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1595573/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-announced/110#post_25018113
Unless I misread his post it sounded like he got a $20 coupon for the Logitech US website.
Yeah, not sure why that would have been though - unless it was an automated thing saying "please don't go away we love you" or something. There's not a specific program in place that I know of, and typically we do not discount brand new or preorder product.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

TheQat posted:

http://techreport.com/news/29903/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-beckons-gamers-to-cut-the-cord g900 announced

g502 sensor (i guess, it's 12,000dpi); wireless/wired modes; ambidextrous shape; lighter than g502 by 14g (!); 32 hrs battery life if the LEDs are turned off; hollow scroll wheel
gently caress yeeeee

quote:

$150 though.
gently caress nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mutant Standard posted:

gently caress yeeeee

gently caress nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah that's right where I am at the moment. It looks really, really awesome, but at that pricetag I think I'll just have to wait for a decent deal on one. Like if it were the mouse to last a decade that would be one thing, but $150 and only a 2 year warranty is hard to swallow.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They are going to sell a million of those things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Time to buy Logitech stock? :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I kind of wonder how well it will sell at that price, doesn't seem like that many people would want to spend $150 on a mouse, but I guess I could be wrong.

Whatever happened to Logitech re-branding as Logi anyway?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Goo posted:

Thanks. Anything specific about it that drives that? Shape, number of buttons, battery life?

It's the combination of shape and battery life.

I do find the two rearmost side buttons are too far back for comfort but the other four are plenty for my usage.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The G900 looks cool, but I'm still absolutely in love with my G602 two years after buying it. It's got everything I want and nothing I don't A+++ would buy again

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It will be $89 on sale... but it will take 6-8 months to get there.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is there precedent with the $150 price or is this a part of a new trend of luxury gamers?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mutant Standard posted:

Is there precedent with the $150 price or is this a part of a new trend of luxury gamers?

Helps offset the fact no average consumers are buying the MX Master.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Mutant Standard posted:

The Razer Ouroboros, which is also a wired/wireless mouse, is $150.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Hey Goo:

I see that in the advertisement the new mouse has 11 buttons, but I count only 9 unless both sets of thumb buttons are on the mouse, is thisthe case?

I almost pre-ordered the mouse since it looks like a better version of g502 but I like my buttons on the mouse. Not too many more but 4 thimb buttons like on the g602, tilt and hyerspin wheel, wireless/wired hybrid would be perfect for me.

Thanks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

lethial posted:

Hey Goo:

I see that in the advertisement the new mouse has 11 buttons, but I count only 9 unless both sets of thumb buttons are on the mouse, is thisthe case?

They are. It comes with attachments for both sides, so you can customize it to have 4 thumb buttons, 2, or 0.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Oh thanks. That means 2 buttons will be on the right side of the mouse right? Since I am right handed, I doubt I can use those two buttons then. drat, if only there are couple more usable buttons...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. For me it depends a lot on where exactly the off-side buttons are, some mice I can use them fine but some I can't hit them at all.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Whatever happened to Logitech re-branding as Logi anyway?
That is for new products outside of mice and keyboards. It is a product-level branding, not a changing of the company name. Company is still called Logitech, gaming will continue to be called Logitech G.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goo posted:

That is for new products outside of mice and keyboards. It is a product-level branding, not a changing of the company name. Company is still called Logitech, gaming will continue to be called Logitech G.

I misunderstood this entirely. marketing.txt I suppose.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Many people did, and the press helped. "Logitech rebrands as Logi, says tech is not important, stops making mice and keyboards" was a great clickbait title to be honest. Except really it was "Logitech to release new product categories as "Logi", says "tech" is does not really resonate as a name in a lot of those categories, and shuts down low-margin OEM business" instead.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, 2 on the left and 2 on the right. For me it depends a lot on where exactly the off-side buttons are, some mice I can use them fine but some I can't hit them at all.

Thanks for the insight. Hmmm judging by the picture, I doubt I can make use of the buttons on the right side... Decisions...

Just curious, why isn't there some other frequency band, besides 2.4ghz, that almost everything uses? Wouldn't the interference issue be much easier to solve if another frequency band is used?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Goo posted:

Many people did, and the press helped. "Logitech rebrands as Logi, says tech is not important, stops making mice and keyboards" was a great clickbait title to be honest. Except really it was "Logitech to release new product categories as "Logi", says "tech" is does not really resonate as a name in a lot of those categories, and shuts down low-margin OEM business" instead.
You mean Dell peripherals won't be made by Logitech anymore? They had a keyboard that was pretty good for a while.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Josh Lyman posted:

You mean Dell peripherals won't be made by Logitech anymore? They had a keyboard that was pretty good for a while.
Our OEM business shut down a while ago.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A detailed G900 review, including new pics of internals and comparisons: http://www.overclock.net/t/1595865/review-of-logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-wireless-gaming-mouse-by-ino

tl;dr version is that yeah it's as good as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Really wish the MX Master was going to usher in a new era of non-:pcgaming: products.