Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I hope someone ports these UI mods to 2.0 because they look amazing. The hi-res spell icons do work in 2.0 though.

Too bad the portraits are horrible, thank god they're a separate download.

lol they made everyone white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kavak posted:

lol they made everyone white.

stupid anime poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vikar Jerome posted:

with a loving standard quarterstaff holy poo poo

You should see it when I cast Draw on Holy Might and Righteous Magic :getin:

Escaped from CI, received approximately 1/6th of the XP from the whole of BG1.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You should see it when I cast Draw on Holy Might and Righteous Magic :getin:

Escaped from CI, received approximately 1/6th of the XP from the whole of BG1.

Out of interest how do you solo the duchal palace fight without magic items?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

fong posted:

Out of interest how do you solo the duchal palace fight without magic items?

I was really worried about this, but as it turned out what happened was:

1. 2 guys are killed by traps when they change
2. A third is cornered by the mass of friendly NPCs and quickly killed. While this is happening, I run laps around the big mass of NPCs while the other 3 chase me.
3. Repeat step 2 with ever smaller numbers of dudes after me.

Lose out on some XP to the NPC kills and it looked stupid, but I'm not going to say no as that was my trial attempt.

(Other stupid things: Sarevok sat there patiently waiting to be made Grand Duke while I spent several days putting traps down, it robs the scene of any sort of dramatic tension but that's being a Mobile Trap Spawner for you. Thankfully that's mostly a BG1 problem)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 27, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So what's next? Completely naked playthrough?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

So what's next? Completely naked playthrough?

Way ahead of y-oh you mean the player character

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Frankly it's not much of an adjustment of the current playthrough. Main difference being you lose backstabs [edit]except for summoned weapons, now I think of it[/edit] and have to rely even more on traps than you already do.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Suspicious posted:

If you don't have SCS installed, spell immunity: abjuration only stops dispel/remove magic, other protection removers will still work even if they're abjuration. So true sight, breach, beat em up.

SCS doesn't change that. Or I think SI:A in SCS blocks breach (maybe as an option, but I believe the encouraged option if so). But it definitely doesn't block the spell protection removers like RR, etc.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Ruby Ray is Alteration I think, and Spellstrike counts as both Alteration and Abjuration, so both of those should get through SI:Abjuration.

Anyway, one SCS component changes Breach so that it works against Liches and Rakshasha, but also makes Spell Turning and Spell Trap work against it. The AI automatically assumes you've installed it, so you may as well. The 1st component you install (The one that pretty much every other component requires to even work) also makes Spell Shield work as intended.

In my experience, the best way to remove buffs is to combine a Thief's Detect Illusions with Ruby Ray to remove Spell Shield and Improved Invisibility. Then use Spellstrike if you have it, or a few more Ruby Rays if you don't. Ruby Ray removes protections in order of highest level to lowest level, it should take no more than 5 in total, including the one to remove Spell Shield, to get through SI:Abjuration. (Check what spells are in the mages pre-buff in the dialogue box.) Then use Breach once SI:Abjuration is removed. There is another SCS component that lets spell protection removers pierce Improved Invisibility, so Detect Illusions isn't really necessary, but it gives an otherwise useless Thief something to do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I reckon getting the stat upgrades from The Machine of Lum The Mad is perfectly kosher for the no-magic challenge because it says right there that it's a machine and not magic :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I reckon getting the stat upgrades from The Machine of Lum The Mad is perfectly kosher for the no-magic challenge because it says right there that it's a machine and not magic :colbert:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Frankly it's not much of an adjustment of the current playthrough. Main difference being you lose backstabs [edit]except for summoned weapons, now I think of it[/edit] and have to rely even more on traps than you already do.

You'd have to either play a monk or use summoned weapons or you'd never be able to kill anything ever. I assume divine "magic" is allowed?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

sebzilla posted:

You'd have to either play a monk or use summoned weapons or you'd never be able to kill anything ever. I assume divine "magic" is allowed?

Yeah, the restriction I'm using is on "magical items" rather than "magic" per se - so divine spells are fine, sorcerers would be ok (if even more fragile than normal), mages can only cast their starting spells. But only non-magical equipment and no scrolls or wands or what have you. Potions are a bit of a grey area - I'm currently using them, but following the earlier discussion I'm thinking about doing a "Only pick up items you have to to advance the game" run ala the Deus Ex no equipment runs which would rule potions out anyway.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Dropping the pretense and playing as an all evil pretty is pretty refreshing in bg1EE. So far i've killed elminster (cheese) and drizzt (no cheese!) and taken a hit of 9 rep for each, so my party basically goes around getting their rep up so they can kill the next big name character or goody two shoes. While robbing everyone blind of course.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0Ypufo6BM

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Man that UI is so hideous. The default one from original BG2 is so much nicer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It was hilarious when Kangaxx's first form did the usual gently caress-you lich time stop sequencer, but because of the buffs I had up, literally nothing happened and my front row resumed beating on him. I probably could have done it without becoming the Slayer but he seemed to be regenerating faster than he was losing health so I decided to speed up his demise a bit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

With no offence intended you have the twinkiest set of player generated characters

vvv Yeah 100% pretty boy

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 27, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Man that UI is so hideous. The default one from original BG2 is so much nicer.

I've actually thought the exact same thing.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

With no offence intended you have the twinkiest set of player generated characters

I don't have Edwin, though, so I'm missing the one twink to rule them all. Maybe next playthrough! :unsmigghh:

Wait did you mean "pretty boy" and not OP? Yeah guilty as charged. I doubt Fabius' '80s shirt is lore friendly either.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 27, 2016

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Ilyich posted:

Ruby Ray is Alteration I think, and Spellstrike counts as both Alteration and Abjuration, so both of those should get through SI:Abjuration.

Anyway, one SCS component changes Breach so that it works against Liches and Rakshasha, but also makes Spell Turning and Spell Trap work against it. The AI automatically assumes you've installed it, so you may as well. The 1st component you install (The one that pretty much every other component requires to even work) also makes Spell Shield work as intended.

In my experience, the best way to remove buffs is to combine a Thief's Detect Illusions with Ruby Ray to remove Spell Shield and Improved Invisibility. Then use Spellstrike if you have it, or a few more Ruby Rays if you don't. Ruby Ray removes protections in order of highest level to lowest level, it should take no more than 5 in total, including the one to remove Spell Shield, to get through SI:Abjuration. (Check what spells are in the mages pre-buff in the dialogue box.) Then use Breach once SI:Abjuration is removed. There is another SCS component that lets spell protection removers pierce Improved Invisibility, so Detect Illusions isn't really necessary, but it gives an otherwise useless Thief something to do.

No that's my point. Spell protection removers ignore SI:A. It doesn't matter whether they are alteration or abjuration or whatever. SI:A is intentionally designed not to block them, full stop.

You need to remove II as breach can't target invisible (even though SCS allows the spell protection removers to).

Also, at least in my last install, which was the latest version of SCS, the "breach works against everything" module wasn't well implemented. It didn't work against most Rakshasas as best I could tell.

Anyhow, RR -> Spellstrike -> True Sight -> Breach is a path that kills all enemy buffs.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Yeah with full SCS installed I'm having a huge bitch of a time against rakashasashass. The only thing that I do now that I finally have high enough level fighter/mage is to run in and just beat him to death with a bunch of buffs and stuff up. If I try to bring in my party to beat on them they cast so many AoE spells that someone gets gibbed. The only way I could beat Kangaxx was to use a bunch of cheese, but his demilich form was a lot easier to kill than the regular lich form because he imprisons instead of casting epic level spells.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Big Sean posted:

No that's my point. Spell protection removers ignore SI:A. It doesn't matter whether they are alteration or abjuration or whatever. SI:A is intentionally designed not to block them, full stop.

Really? I genuinely had no idea that was the case.

Big Sean posted:

Also, at least in my last install, which was the latest version of SCS, the "breach works against everything" module wasn't well implemented. It didn't work against most Rakshasas as best I could tell.

I know the Spell Turning bit of that component works in the latest version of SCS. (v.30) In a run I did last year, the amount of times I had Aerie accidentally hit herself with her own Breach was embarrassing. Eventually I caught on, but it made some fights unnecessarily tough.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The guy in Lum the Mad's machine dumping four mind flayers in the middle of my party with no chance to pre-buff is perhaps the single most annoying thing I've ever seen in Baldur's Gate. How can you even make it through that without losing at least one party member? Thank God for the rods of resurrection!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
What he does depends on what you say.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well I guess that will teach me not to blow off crazy people's rambling diatribes.

What level should I be before I start doing the post-Underdark/endgame quests? My PC is currently at level 18 and many of my other party members are 19-21.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Shadows of Amn's exp cap was 2.95 million, so I'd say you're a tad overleveled.

FYI the point of no return is entering the temple.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Big World Setup promises "easy mod installation". It's a big fat lie, it's one of the most frustrating programs I've ever used in my life. I set aside copies of BG1 and BG2 v1.3 for future playthroughs to experiment with mods, and I've hosed up BG1 three times trying to install mods and getting conflicts/broken poo poo. The UI is so terrible, it's almost as bad as the actual game's UI. :v:

Does Comet actually do anything? I gave it to Menelkir as his first HLA and it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it only works out of doors?

Now Dragon's Breath, on the other hand...:aaa:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 29, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
If you don't have any mods installed, comet is 10d10 fire damage with a guaranteed stun. Dragon's breath is 10d10 fire damage that ignores magic resistance with a chance to do double damage and knockback.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

Big World Setup promises "easy mod installation". It's a big fat lie, it's one of the most frustrating programs I've ever used in my life. I set aside copies of BG1 and BG2 v1.3 for future playthroughs to experiment with mods, and I've hosed up BG1 three times trying to install mods and getting conflicts/broken poo poo. The UI is so terrible, it's almost as bad as the actual game's UI. :v:
Just be glad you weren't there for the days of making your own batch files while cross-referencing multiple modding sites for installing more than 5 mods. :v:

Also, I hope for your sake you're just using the setup program, not actually installing the entire Big World...thing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

Does Comet actually do anything? I gave it to Menelkir as his first HLA and it doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it only works out of doors?

Now Dragon's Breath, on the other hand...:aaa:

what mods are you trying to install?

i use bws all the time and i don't understand what problems you're having. well actually, it might be you don't understand how mods work for IE games and it sounds like you're trying to install a bunch of poo poo that conflicts and you're getting that annoying conflict colour coded bullshit screen, you can right click that and disable or enable stuff you need or dont need. once you get the hang of it, its pretty great for mass installation of mods.

i've installed big insane megamods installs before both manually and through bws and bws is a loving life saver. thing to keep in mind is 90% of those mods are bullshit anyway and once you make an install don't you dare try and uninstall just one mod out of 10 which isn't the last one you installed because holy poo poo you are in for pain.

but please, keep in mind, most mods are bullshit full of bullshit and those fancy ai mods and rule changes are going to gently caress with each other no matter what you do. it's worth learning the program and getting a understanding on how mods install in IE and all that poo poo though because i once spent a week tinkering getting a bgt install with a whole bunch of other quest mods and ai mods and tweaks and poo poo going smoothly and that playthrough was worth every second of poo poo i had to go through and i only did manage to finish bg1 and got halfway through chapter 2 bg2 before i burnt out.

the current system is miles better than what we had pre-weidu installers though. those were dark times. and without bws installing a large number of weidu which won't warn you of conflicts is more trouble than it's worth. you'd end up installing a bunch of poo poo for a bgt playthrough and then you get half way through bg1 or deep in some dungeon in bg2 and realize it hasn't been installed right, scripts are not firing and you're stuck and nothing will fix it, a reinstall will just gently caress your saves over completely due to how strings work with the dialog.tlk and the only thing you could do would be trying fix poo poo in near infinity and unless you know what your doing, good luck with that.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 29, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The saddest thing about a "no magic items" run with a multiclass thief:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9fOMhsGo14

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The saddest thing about a "no magic items" run with a multiclass thief:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9fOMhsGo14

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS VIDEO)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

what mods are you trying to install?

i use bws all the time and i don't understand what problems you're having. well actually, it might be you don't understand how mods work for IE games and it sounds like you're trying to install a bunch of poo poo that conflicts and you're getting that annoying conflict colour coded bullshit screen, you can right click that and disable or enable stuff you need or dont need. once you get the hang of it, its pretty great for mass installation of mods.

i've installed big insane megamods installs before both manually and through bws and bws is a loving life saver. thing to keep in mind is 90% of those mods are bullshit anyway and once you make an install don't you dare try and uninstall just one mod out of 10 which isn't the last one you installed because holy poo poo you are in for pain.

but please, keep in mind, most mods are bullshit full of bullshit and those fancy ai mods and rule changes are going to gently caress with each other no matter what you do. it's worth learning the program and getting a understanding on how mods install in IE and all that poo poo though because i once spent a week tinkering getting a bgt install with a whole bunch of other quest mods and ai mods and tweaks and poo poo going smoothly and that playthrough was worth every second of poo poo i had to go through and i only did manage to finish bg1 and got halfway through chapter 2 bg2 before i burnt out.

the current system is miles better than what we had pre-weidu installers though. those were dark times. and without bws installing a large number of weidu which won't warn you of conflicts is more trouble than it's worth. you'd end up installing a bunch of poo poo for a bgt playthrough and then you get half way through bg1 or deep in some dungeon in bg2 and realize it hasn't been installed right, scripts are not firing and you're stuck and nothing will fix it, a reinstall will just gently caress your saves over completely due to how strings work with the dialog.tlk and the only thing you could do would be trying fix poo poo in near infinity and unless you know what your doing, good luck with that.

Well before I was just using the BG2 Tweak pack from the OP + a voice pack mod + (BG2 only) Unfinished Business + More Style for Mages. That was super easy, got me through BG1 and is getting me through BG2 (at the entrance to the palace, so I'm at the very end of SoA) and I didn't use any mod manager at all. With BWS you've got several different tweak packs that have overlapping tweaks and the installer recommends certain tweaks from certain packs over others, so if you want to optimize poo poo then you have to go through many, many different mods and then check which options you installed for each one so there is no overlap. I eventually ignored their presets and many of their implementation recommendation and just built my own installation from a much more limited set of mods.

So for my new BG1 install I've got (it seems to be working now):
BG2 Tweak Pack
The attributes rebalancing of Scales of Balance
IWD spells
All of subtledoctor's kit mods: Might and Guile, Tome and Blood, Song and Silence, and a pre-release of Faiths and Powers
BG1 NPC Project (including BG2 portraits)
More Style for Mages
Deidre and the scroll guy for BG1
A couple of other minor things that I forgot and aren't really important

Though I'm really starting to wonder if I should have bought Icewind Dale and tried the kit mods there, where I can roll all my own companions (I'm going to use only official companions for my second BG playthrough, and I'm using 1.3 instead of 2.0 so the Create Party feature isn't available) instead of using whatever companions BG1 gives me.

Also am I doing something wrong or did they change the way the game handles off-hand stuff between 1.3 and 2.0? In my 2.0 install, I can have both sword and shield and bow and arrow equipped, and the character puts away the shield automatically when I switch from sword to bow, and the shield re-appears when I switch back to the sword (the shield never leaves the equipment slot, it is just "deactivated" when a 2H weapon is in use, much like in Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity). In 1.3, when I have a shield equipped I can't equip a bow at all, which seems totally wrong and at extremely frustrating.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

Also am I doing something wrong or did they change the way the game handles off-hand stuff between 1.3 and 2.0? In my 2.0 install, I can have both sword and shield and bow and arrow equipped, and the character puts away the shield automatically when I switch from sword to bow, and the shield re-appears when I switch back to the sword (the shield never leaves the equipment slot, it is just "deactivated" when a 2H weapon is in use, much like in Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity). In 1.3, when I have a shield equipped I can't equip a bow at all, which seems totally wrong and at extremely frustrating.

That's Brand New to 2.0, and the shield + bow thing has been a frustration for literally 18 years at this point.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm assuming IWD has that same frustration since it doesn't have a 2.0 version yet? Is there any word on a possible IWD:EE 2.0?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm assuming IWD has that same frustration since it doesn't have a 2.0 version yet? Is there any word on a possible IWD:EE 2.0?

they're working on it but i think it will be a little longer yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

Does anything BG2 main plot need magic weapons?

I don't think the main plot requires it, the temple district quest requires using a macguffin and Nalia's quest requires fighting a poo poo ton of trolls which require a way to burn them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I don't think the main plot requires it, the temple district quest requires using a macguffin and Nalia's quest requires fighting a poo poo ton of trolls which require a way to burn them.

The latter can be solved with Flame Blade, the former... going to work on that (sufficient traps???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Beat Shadows of Amn! :woop:

I didn't like the hell trials at all. They're way too simplistic, obvious, and binary and for me the choice isn't a choice at all because no reward is worth losing paladin powers.

And Sarevok is a million XP behind the rest of my party. Somehow he doesn't level scale like every other companion in the game.