Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Some of them were self-conscious and thought that calling it an "operating system" was jumping the gun a bit. also as I experienced it can't actually be installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i run arch with the i3 tiling window manager on a 2013 MacBook Air and I wouldn't have it any other way

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

James Baud posted:

1) No GNU 2) No Linux 3) Distribution? 4) Which

Deservedly so!

im not even talking about that

for some of them, the fedora project was a way of indoctrinating people with software freedom and turning more people into developers. the fact that they produced an linux iso was a side effect.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

im not even talking about that

for some of them, the fedora project was a way of indoctrinating people with software freedom and turning more people into developers. the fact that they produced an linux iso was a side effect.

that sounds pretty dumb

i use arch, it doesn't have anaconda or anything silly like that.

installing arch requires a rather beardy state of mind but imo this could be almost entirely mitigated by integrating systemd-boot with GNOME's Disks application. Then adding an "Infect this partition with Arch Linux" GUI tool of some kind. All they need to do at that point is create a GNOME 3 based live ISO.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

arch is the Ben Carson of Linux distros

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
arch takes upstream applications and turns them into pacman packages and basically does nothing else

in that respect it's a pretty good "distro" in that it's barely even a distro at all

they also have a really good wiki

also they're a rolling release so instead of massively breaking your system every six months you break it a tiny little bit every now and again.

in fact i've been using this installation of arch since nov 2014 and have had absolutely nothing break, and believe me i've gone out of my way to break poo poo on a couple of occasions (installing kdbus (rip), installing bleeding edge gnome compiled from git using AUR)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm rather upset about the demise of kdbus

"well yes this kernel ipc mechanism of the sort that literally every other operating system including android has had for ages now is technically sound, and it enables robust namespacing and security enforcement for untrusted applications and is generally something we desperately needed in the linux world five years ago

but you see lennart poettering created it and it is an objective scientific fact that lennart poettering is Bad, also i have Opinions on systemd and the unix philosophy and i believe that systemd is a military-industrial complex conspiracy to undermine the gnu/free as in freedom of linux and furthermore,"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in case you think i'm kidding about people unironically suggesting that systemd is a military industrial complex conspiracy

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i'm rather upset about the demise of kdbus

"well yes this kernel ipc mechanism of the sort that literally every other operating system including android has had for ages now is technically sound, and it enables robust namespacing and security enforcement for untrusted applications and is generally something we desperately needed in the linux world five years ago

but you see lennart poettering created it and it is an objective scientific fact that lennart poettering is Bad, also i have Opinions on systemd and the unix philosophy and i believe that systemd is a military-industrial complex conspiracy to undermine the gnu/free as in freedom of linux and furthermore,"

so i get that dbus is good. that part is self-evident. why does it need to be in the kernel?

nobody ever made a case. there were some mumblings about performance, but then kdbus turned out to be deadly slow. so why are we doing this again?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Olivil posted:

i run arch with the i3 tiling window manager on a 2013 MacBook Air and I wouldn't have it any other way

i like i3 and use it half the time, it's probably the least autistic tiling windows manager. (tallest midget?)

when i was broke with ancient computer and wanted a floating windows wm

did a pretty good job of being a pre-configured openbox. i'd lost my original openbox config files (XML (lol)) and it saved some time getting back to where i wanted to be

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so i get that dbus is good. that part is self-evident. why does it need to be in the kernel?

nobody ever made a case. there were some mumblings about performance, but then kdbus turned out to be deadly slow. so why are we doing this again?

cargo culting the world's most advanced operating system's Mach IPC

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

why do we need special interprocess messaging protocols when we already have IRC? just set up a tiny server in the kernel and go to town

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

lol

quote:

The ischroot command is buggy and does not detect that it is running in a chroot ( 685034 ). Several packages depend upon ischroot for determining correct behavior in a chroot and will operate incorrectly during upgrades if it is not fixed. The easiest way to fix it is to replace ischroot with the /bin/true command.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

in case you think i'm kidding about people unironically suggesting that systemd is a military industrial complex conspiracy

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/

oh my

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/biography-of-a-cypherpunk-and-how-cryptography-affects-your-life/

there's way too much to quote, it's glorious :tinfoil:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kdbus wasn't deadly slow

it's mostly about fixing race conditions and other sorts of dumb mistakes that aren't able to be fixed without kernel support

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

atomicthumbs posted:

why do we need special interprocess messaging protocols when we already have IRC? just set up a tiny server in the kernel and go to town
you could even use this http://tools.suckless.org/ii/ for the client-side

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

one step of making linux usable would be to consider naming conventions othen than fglrx or wicd or gnmbhhtx-stable-devel or whatever asinine combination of consonants the devs come up with.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the linux kernel is written is such a way that vowels actually take up more system resources
this is why there are none of them in package names or system functions

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if your usability depends on ordinary people being able to understand the naming conventions for low-level system components, I don't think it's the names that are the problem

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

linux developers actually name packages by going and countdown and asking for 9 consonants

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

computer toucher posted:

one step of making linux usable would be to consider naming conventions othen than fglrx or wicd or gnmbhhtx-stable-devel or whatever asinine combination of consonants the devs come up with.
ncmpcpp

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how come no one has written a tiling wm in Ruby???

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
there are limits to how bad even desktop Linux can get

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how come no one has written a tiling wm in Ruby???
http://subtle.subforge.org/

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

there was some guy giving a talk at ccc a few years ago who actually said something like "why do we need an ipc system when ipv6 has multicast?"

lennart poettering was in the audience and yelled at him

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

there was some guy giving a talk at ccc a few years ago who actually said something like "why do we need an ipc system when ipv6 has multicast?"

lennart poettering was in the audience and yelled at him

this "logic" is the reason why AF_BUS failed btw

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Soricidus posted:

there are limits to how bad even desktop Linux can get

i take it back

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Soricidus posted:

if your usability depends on ordinary people being able to understand the naming conventions for low-level system components, I don't think it's the names that are the problem

well it helps if you can remember the names of those components so you can now what to even google when you're banging your head against that poo poo.

or is it just super obvious to everyone else that "fglrx" stands for "Open source Radeon drivers" or whatever the gently caress that mess was.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

not to mentionthat regular users need to gently caress around with low level system components all the time

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
is it the first time you guys are using computers??

stop thinking "regular people" use linux, only nerds do

regular people linux is OS X

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Zom Aur posted:

you could even use this http://tools.suckless.org/ii/ for the client-side

that seems more like something for plan9 lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what we need is a Linux Haters Handbook

competent, neutral author(s) talk about what's wrong with linux in a funny manner

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Soricidus posted:

i take it back

https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

that seems more like something for plan9 lol
I think it's kinda neat in a way, but gently caress if I'm using it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the short names for systems comes from the need to preface c functions with a unique id to compensate for c not having a package or module system, right? you cant name a function "init" because reasons, so you have to name it "fqwt_init"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

kdbus wasn't deadly slow

it's mostly about fixing race conditions and other sorts of dumb mistakes that aren't able to be fixed without kernel support

the problem with KDBus was that there apparently wasn't much tuning on non-kernel DBus first, to minimize round trips and such, so that it could be clearly demonstrate what the kernel performance benefits would be

comparing a terrible user-space implementation to what I'm generously assuming was a decent kernel implementation isn't really fair

of course, what Linux should really do is just implement the well-proven Mach IPC primitives, and let user space DBus and any other IPC build on top of those

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

newly installed fedora system using kde
hovering over "activities" in the file browser causes it to crash
good job everyone

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Awia posted:

the linux kernel is written is such a way that vowels actually take up more system resources
this is why there are none of them in package names or system functions

:psyboom:

how

why

are you making this up because it sounds like it would take active effort to implement this dumb bug

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

blowfish posted:

how

why

are you making this up because it sounds like it would take active effort to implement this dumb bug

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

blowfish posted:

how

why

Yeah it's dumb, but it's required for POSIX compliance.