Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
These aren't sims, but has anyone tried Trackmania Turbo or Racecraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

So this just got uploaded by rFactor 2...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

AnimalChin posted:

These aren't sims, but has anyone tried Trackmania Turbo or Racecraft?

I haven't played that particular Trackmania, but the other ones I've played are a blast. Easily worth the few bucks they cost during Steam sales.

Apparently I own Racecraft :psyduck: but I've not tried it. Must've been part of a bundle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Reviews are saying the new Trackmania is a lazy console port. There's no dedicated servers and no customization. Who knows if we'll ever see servers of cool things nerds put together. I forget the name, but there was one guy who made amazing indoor maps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shine posted:

I haven't played that particular Trackmania, but the other ones I've played are a blast. Easily worth the few bucks they cost during Steam sales.

Apparently I own Racecraft :psyduck: but I've not tried it. Must've been part of a bundle.

If you owned the predicesdor to racecraft, you now own racecraft. The name escapes me at the moment.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

tater_salad posted:

If you owned the predicesdor to racecraft, you now own racecraft. The name escapes me at the moment.

Ahh, Victory: The Age of Racing. Another game I must've gotten in a bundle and have never played.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cojawfee posted:

Reviews are saying the new Trackmania is a lazy console port. There's no dedicated servers and no customization. Who knows if we'll ever see servers of cool things nerds put together. I forget the name, but there was one guy who made amazing indoor maps.

A console Trackmania is basically what Turbo was designed to be though. I think it's still good in the same way TM always is but if you're on PC you might as well wait for the actual TM3 they've said they're working on.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

A console Trackmania is basically what Turbo was designed to be though. I think it's still good in the same way TM always is but if you're on PC you might as well wait for the actual TM3 they've said they're working on.

At least it's a step forward in that it goes back to how Trackmania United had all the different track types in one program so the servers can switch seamlessly.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm a massive fan of TM, so I bought TM: Turbo.

The gameplay is fantastic. The "new" Canyon Drift cars are great fun to drive. BUT:

Holy crap are there some game-breaking bugs.

#1) For some reason, my Xbox controller randomly disconnects. Then it won't re-connect.

#2) When you quit the game, it kills your mouse. I'm serious. You can move your mouse, but it beeps while it's moving and you can't click on anything. I've only managed to fix it with resetting the computer.

Personally, I don't give a poo poo about customisation and often the servers had so many godawful mods that cluttered up the screen with such useless info that it'd make playing online a chore. So I'm not bothered by any of that as long as the racing and track building is good. You can switch to the classic track editor ('cos the new one is designed with controllers in mind and is godawful) but those two bugs are game-breaking.

Uplay also is atrocious.

It could be really good if they fix those things though?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

You can switch to the classic track editor ('cos the new one is designed with controllers in mind and is godawful)

Oh my God you are my new favorite person for at least a day or two! I had no idea that was even a thing.

I pretty much just had a big sad face and was thinking about the hours of torture and relearning that would be necessary to use the new scheme. :smithicide:

I've only played for a bit (just golded the first two sets of tracks), but I'm really loving some of the new winding mountain road bits in the valley (?) environment.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

aas Bandit posted:

Oh my God you are my new favorite person for at least a day or two! I had no idea that was even a thing.

I pretty much just had a big sad face and was thinking about the hours of torture and relearning that would be necessary to use the new scheme. :smithicide:

I've only played for a bit (just golded the first two sets of tracks), but I'm really loving some of the new winding mountain road bits in the valley (?) environment.

Yeah, I just asked for a refund :(

I did love the driving, but holy poo poo this game is broken. Literally every time I quit the game I have to reset so I can use my mouse again. Also, if I didn't have my wireless KB\Mouse dongle in the correct USB slot, the cars would constantly accelerate by themselves regardless of your input. Not to mention the random controller dropouts.

I'm also not even sure how you would share new track designs? They seem to be attached to your profile which is a lovely way to get new, awesome tracks into circulation.

The final nail in the coffin was my controller disconnecting, then when I pressed Escape to pause so I could try to fix it, the game crashed to the desktop and left me with a mouse that couldn't click on anything, which meant that I had to reset my computer.

I'm a sad panda because I absolutely loved the driving, but that chain-reaction is bullshit.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

H13 posted:

Holy crap are there some game-breaking bugs.

#1) For some reason, my Xbox controller randomly disconnects. Then it won't re-connect.

#2) When you quit the game, it kills your mouse. I'm serious. You can move your mouse, but it beeps while it's moving and you can't click on anything. I've only managed to fix it with resetting the computer.
Actually the controller issue isn't the fault of Nadeo, it's the fault of MS. I assume you're on Windows 10 and are having your controller wig out after you use it, turns out they updated xinput driver and it broke things pretty fuckin bad.

The way to fix it is to completely uninstall and block two updates KB3140768 and KB3140743. Here's a guide on what exactly to do to fix it

With those two updates uninstalled my issue went away and I can actually use my controller again.

Edit: ^^^^ Whoops, I would've had this reply typed earlier but I wanted to make sure it actually fixed things for me so I went through the steps myself because I had been having crazy issues trying to use my controller in any game.

edit2: Looks like it didn't fix the issue because I still get the crazy input problems after uninstalling and rebooting. It was fixed when I played TT, but then I booted up JC3 and the problem resurfaced. I can still use my mouse even after having had the beeps and slowdowns occur so that's a plus but games are now unplayable with the controller.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 25, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Actually the controller issue isn't the fault of Nadeo, it's the fault of MS. I assume you're on Windows 10 and are having your controller wig out after you use it, turns out they updated xinput driver and it broke things pretty fuckin bad.

The way to fix it is to completely uninstall and block two updates KB3140768 and KB3140743. Here's a guide on what exactly to do to fix it

With those two updates uninstalled my issue went away and I can actually use my controller again.

Edit: ^^^^ Whoops, I would've had this reply typed earlier but I wanted to make sure it actually fixed things for me so I went through the steps myself because I had been having crazy issues trying to use my controller in any game.

edit2: Looks like it didn't fix the issue because I still get the crazy input problems after uninstalling and rebooting. It was fixed when I played TT, but then I booted up JC3 and the problem resurfaced. I can still use my mouse even after having had the beeps and slowdowns occur so that's a plus but games are now unplayable with the controller.

As a palate cleanser, I booted up Rocket League. Just gave that a good hammering for half an hour and didn't get a single issue. I'm not sure it's a MS issue if my controller\mouse works in other games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You had to find the right dedicated servers but there were some really good ones out there. How do you share custom tracks now?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

H13 posted:

As a palate cleanser, I booted up Rocket League. Just gave that a good hammering for half an hour and didn't get a single issue. I'm not sure it's a MS issue if my controller\mouse works in other games.
Are you on Windows 10 and are you using a 360 controller or Xbox One?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine playing Trackmania without dedicated server leaderboards and map voting and loving lovely dubstep music

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Goetta posted:

I can't imagine playing Trackmania without dedicated server leaderboards and map voting and loving lovely dubstep music
Well you're in luck for the last thing because there's still really lovely music in Turbo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

real_scud posted:

Well you're in luck for the last thing because there's still really lovely music in Turbo.

He's talking about the music playlists you could setup on servers, I'm mostly certain.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

Yeah, I just asked for a refund :(

Sorry man. :( I'm on Win7 still and stuff is pretty much flawless for me.

And yeah, I turned the music and voices off first thing.

It looks like you can only share tracks now via UPlay bullshit. I'm not even sure of a way to actually save-as a file, or where to find it, which is pretty asstastic.
Hopefully the community will figure out some things--we'll see.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Are you on Windows 10 and are you using a 360 controller or Xbox One?

WIn 10, Xbox 1 Controller.

Aas Bandit: I remember racing you on Nations. I got lucky a few times and managed to beat you too! The gameplay is as good as Nations so It's really disappointing to see everything such a hot mess.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What I'm learning here is we need a Trackmania server, or at least need to crash an existing goon server if one exists.

There's a Raceroom half price sale happening, but it doesn't include packs so it's basically useless for cars. Decent deal if you want some tracks though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I still haven't tried RRE. Maybe it's time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hopefully they release the new update next week so the game actually has a usable HUD. That's one of the things that really showed up their generic interior, the Audi TT Cup car has no internal display of whether P2P is available or how many of them you have.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Norns posted:

I still haven't tried RRE. Maybe it's time.

Try it, especially if you have headphones; it has incredible sound design. The AI is pretty decent, too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Shine posted:

Try it, especially if you have headphones; it has incredible sound design. The AI is pretty decent, too.

Also, the weekly challenge leaderboard thing lets you do hotlaps in content you don't own!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Uplay...still sucking.

I started up Trackmania Turbo at lunch, and I've magically lost about half (~60) of the medals that I won last night.
Goddammit Ubisoft.

Edit: And they're all back when I start up the game at home? :what:

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 26, 2016

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CaseFace McGee posted:

So this just got uploaded by rFactor 2...

And Toban, finally goddamn Toban.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh poo poo Toban is in rf2 this week? I totally forgot.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
An update came in for Automobilista, liked that they're putting some attention to the transmissions and further improving the AI.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks Goetta.

IceAge, you're a lazy bum ;)

AC racing will start again in 3 weeks, gonna give it another try in making it regular. Maybe switch weekly between AC and AMS once it's out proper.

Regarding AMS: Do flatspots influence FFB now? And did we finally get an FFB meter?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think flat spots always affected FFB because people on the forums constantly bitched about it. No FFB meter yet but hopefully it'll get added. Also if we're going back to AC nights, I would suggest Tor Poznan as a track. The guy making it recently released the 1.0 version and it's a really good laser scanned track.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 26, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Uhg, I have a hill climb event in 2 weeks and haven't worked out all winter. What game mode in dirt rally should I use to build up some muscle memory and get my reflex times back ?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What's a good place to find Assetto Corsa car tunes?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Shine posted:

You weren't kidding. The audio is amazing.

Close to buying the 2015 DMT pack. The cars seem pretty fun from the test drives I did.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're going to get into R3E I recommend trying out the DTM 1992 cars and the M1 Procar. The Procar especially is probably my favourite car in that game and I wish it was in more games.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I spent some time in AutoBallista today, and drat the slow formula cars are awesome. I had a blast in the Formula 3 cars, and the Formula Vee is pretty much a slide machine. I recorded a Vee race and was going to upload it, but I couldn't get the camera tool to play nice for a replay view and it's late so not yet.

The AI is pretty bad in the Vee - I was sliding around pretty bad and I just stomped them at 105%.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Assetto Corsa guy is really upset that people would want VR in their racing simulation. He can't seem to understand that people who like realistic simulators might want VR.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, those people with ridiculous multi monitor setups were just trying to show off. They don't actually care about being able to see things around their car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The Assetto Corsa guy is really upset that people would want VR in their racing simulation. He can't seem to understand that people who like realistic simulators might want VR.

They are supporting Oculus, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

There's something in the water right now it seems, I got yelled at by the rFactor 2 Twitter for talking about how I didn't like how all the official content was a separate Steam Workshop download rather than just being in the game. It does feel like we're at a point where people are asking more and more about certain features (VR, night racing, rain etc) because these games should be out of their 'growing pains' phase now.

Norns posted:

They are supporting Oculus, correct?
From the interview they did with Race Department:

quote:

In my personal opinion, 21:9 single screens work better than a triple screen solution and now they feature 4k resolution: easier to [configure], and supported by more games. About the Oculus, our priority now is to close and release the console version of Assetto Corsa, and then we'll see how we can support the customer version: since the latest SDK has been almost totally changed, we can't just “update” our code, we need to rewrite it, more or less.
Basically saying no we'd have to rewrite the engine because we never even tried to support the DK2.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2016