Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

What's the main difference between the goon guilds? I see on ffgoons it recommends new players join Third Party Tools. Does it matter, much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Grimes posted:

What's the main difference between the goon guilds? I see on ffgoons it recommends new players join Third Party Tools. Does it matter, much?

Not really. PBC is a little more high end game but you can find players to help you at all content levels in all of the guilds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

One of these days I want to see an MMO that lets my murderhobo actually look like a murderhobo

Scraggly long beard, weird death-stare eyes, scoliosis, and a bit of wood with a nail in it

Black Desert Online has an absurdly detailed character creation system so it's probably possible there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Leal posted:

Isn't there a class like that on Age of Wushu?

Beggar. Chug wine and puke on people until they get drunk.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

One of these days I want to see an MMO that lets my murderhobo actually look like a murderhobo

Scraggly long beard, weird death-stare eyes, scoliosis, and a bit of wood with a nail in it

Some days I want to put together a glamor for one of my alts that's literally just a bunch of random clashing low-level gear. But then I realize I'd have to go through all the effort of getting the glamour prisms and eh.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I'm looking forward to the cross-server party finder in 3.3. I am unable for reasons to leave my current server for Excalibur, but with the PF the Goon guilds from all the various servers can do stuff together.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

vOv posted:

Some days I want to put together a glamor for one of my alts that's literally just a bunch of random clashing low-level gear. But then I realize I'd have to go through all the effort of getting the glamour prisms and eh.

You can't go through the effort of simply buying 5 prisms from the MB?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Vadoc posted:

You can't go through the effort of simply buying 5 prisms from the MB?

I don't actually care about it that much.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Someone appreciates the hunky cat!

Late but, I am in love with your cat boy and it's making me consider using my one free look change to change from an elf princess to a cat man. Also, what are those plaid pants called again? And your top. Really, I love your character's whole look.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ruta posted:

Late but, I am in love with your cat boy and it's making me consider using my one free look change to change from an elf princess to a cat man. Also, what are those plaid pants called again? And your top. Really, I love your character's whole look.
:swoon: someone appreciates the absurd amounts of time and money I put into glamour

The pants are the Wind Silk Bottoms, they can be...pricey, but the best way to get them is (if you are a level 60 gatherer) getting steel spoils from the diadem and trading them in for the wind silk. If you're on Excalibur I'm sure goons can help you out with that, I'm just not on that server.

The rest of the outfit is very cheap: the top is the generic male miqo'te top you start with, and the shoes are the best man's gaiters. Very few dyes cost much of anything (except pure white and black) so that shouldn't be a wallet issue; everything in this outfit is either currant purple or gloom purple, since the hat is not dyeable and I wanted it all to match.

e: The one thing I miss about being a highlander is the muscle slider. I don't miss being a dragonboy at all. I looked like weird lanky sad Nobunaga and it was a terrible time in my character's fashion life. Cats 4 life.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 28, 2016

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

With Excalibur being closed, how active are the other guilds?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Elderbean posted:

Excalibur is open all the time. Check at each of the times listed in the "about character creation restrictions" page on the lodestone. You'll get in if you try right at the open of each window.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It was actually listed as open as of the last update. Just keep trying.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Elderbean posted:

Excalibur is overrated, come join DGKK.

Goons are goons no matter what guild you're in. DGKK seems like it's full of nice people that will help you with anything, and then some.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I used to be on dgkk but moved to tpt under the impression I could help more new people, and honestly it feels kind of dead. Dgkk was constantly chatty, but in tpt there's only maybe a dozen people who seem to ever be on fc chat

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sentient Data posted:

I used to be on dgkk but moved to tpt under the impression I could help more new people, and honestly it feels kind of dead. Dgkk was constantly chatty, but in tpt there's only maybe a dozen people who seem to ever be on fc chat

If you think TPT is dead you should try PBC! I have had pretty much nothing but pleasant experiences in either though. I have no comment on DGKK since I haven't been in it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Sentient Data posted:

TPT chat is pretty silent, yeah. I don't get to play much, but I try to participate when I can. I'm usually in DF though and I've been tanking lately, so I find it hard to break away and chat about whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kojei posted:

Thanks, friend.

You should upgrade it to the head rub gif. :3:

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I moved to TPT and haven't had any issues with chat. At least on the weekends when I primarily get to play everyone seems pretty chatty.

Also I've never been to one of these FFXIV nerd fests. How does it generally work? It looks like entry goes on sale the day before it starts? (the 14th of October)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

TPT is fun and active (and their FC house isn't in a desert!)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Maybe my problem is that I typically play really early in the morning on weekdays because I work nights. :v:

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Kithyen posted:

Also I've never been to one of these FFXIV nerd fests. How does it generally work? It looks like entry goes on sale the day before it starts? (the 14th of October)

Tickets for the NA fanfest went on sale in July iirc, so I'm expecting something similar for this year. It also sold out ridiculously fast / broke their system because they didn't anticipate the high interest level. After they fixed everything it went on sale again a few days (a week?) later.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

bleuraindrops posted:

Tickets for the NA fanfest went on sale in July iirc, so I'm expecting something similar for this year. It also sold out ridiculously fast / broke their system because they didn't anticipate the high interest level. After they fixed everything it went on sale again a few days (a week?) later.

Thanks for the info. Yea I looked up some info from the 2014 one and it looks like they did go on sale around July for about 120 bucks. Hopefully their servers are able to handle the load so I can snag one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shy posted:

TPT is fun and active (and their FC house isn't in a desert!)

TPT has probably the best small house location in the entire game. I have no idea how you guys managed to get that.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

Elentor posted:

TPT has probably the best small house location in the entire game. I have no idea how you guys managed to get that.

:a2m:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

So many bots.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

Verranicus posted:

So many bots.

Not looking forward to that when I finally hit 60 on my WHM. The mentor idea is a solid one, it just obviously needs some work.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You could just not be a mentor until SE realizes that such programs in other MMOs have oversight for a reason? The current system just looks awful and frustrating.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Playing on Balmung, 99% of new people are alts, and I love force inviting them to the Novice Network just to have them complain that they can't leave. It's hilarious.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Elentor posted:

While we were looking for small plots to buy, a stranger approached us and told us he had a small plot he no longer used and didn't need to be paid back for, so we gladly accepted. We were expecting it to be in the rear end-end of one of the subdivisions, but it turned out to be one of the nicest spots in the game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Verranicus posted:

So many bots.

dumb question but why are bots always THMs?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

killstealing posted:

their combat routine is incredibly simple and cannot run out of mp/tp no matter what

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

killstealing posted:

THMs are quite good at aoeing things, and the faster you aoe things to death at level 50 in a huge mob bot pack the faster you can have things spiritbonded to turn into materia to sell.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

killstealing posted:

very easy to set up and do. nothing more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FaintlyQuaint posted:

THMs are quite good at aoeing things, and the faster you aoe things to death at level 50 in a huge mob bot pack the faster you can have things spiritbonded to turn into materia to sell.
Is that their primary income source? I just kind of naively assumed they all ended up leveling miner or something :shobon:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If we do get into Excalibur, can we expect long a queue to get into the server during peak hours or is it generally pretty sane?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

Elderbean posted:

If we do get into Excalibur, can we expect long a queue to get into the server during peak hours or is it generally pretty sane?

I've never waiting longer than like 30 seconds even immediately post patch weekend primetime, 95% of the time it's instant login.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

kojei posted:

their combat routine is incredibly simple and cannot run out of mp/tp no matter what

figured it was something like blizzard 2 spam or whatever

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There is almost never a queue and even when there is canceling then logging in with your character again is enough to skip it. I don't know why but I think it keeps your place in the queue and just forces the client to check on its position in the queue again, otherwise you wait 30s for it to log you in. You're more likely to have server issues than any sort of queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm on Excalibur and I wasn't even aware that there was a queue.

• Locked thread