Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

I don't speak Reddit. Can someone translate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Azram Legion posted:

Speaking as someone who had EVE scamming as a hobby for a while, all scams rely on offering something unrealistically good, to someone gullible enough to think "While normally this would be too good to be true, I truly deserve this great thing, and therefore it is probably real." The under-delivering is just an intrinsic part of any scam - I mean why else would it be a scam?

It's not a complete scam, though. Sure, they're blowing lots of money on stupid poo poo that has nothing to do with the game, but they're still half-assedly trying to make a game, just failing spectacularly.

I mean if they were really talented scam artists, they'd have a better PR team and try to sweep more of the embarrassing poo poo under the rug instead of airing it out in the open. But imagine if they were also competent enough to have 10-20% of the game done by now instead of 2%. Would we be seeing whales plunking down $50k for space stations and planets?

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

neonbregna posted:

I don't speak Reddit. Can someone translate?

His account is 7 months old, at least 438 people have clicked the "upvote" button on links/images he has posted on reddit, and at least 118 people have clicked the "upvote" button on comments he has posted. Despite this, he is tagged as a new user with low karma (by the /r/starcitizen mods, if I understand correctly).

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Star Citizen has enough name recognition and a rabid enough fan-base that there are probably a few real investors willing to keep CIG afloat for another year, maybe two.

And again, SC isn't a scam, its incompetence. If it was a scam they would probably have more product to show for it by now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Since we're all dropping our theories, here's mine: CIG is going to pull a 38 Studios and collapse without any warning beyond what we've already seen, and those working on the project are fully aware of it and are just riding the wave until it crashes.

For starters, compare CIG's current efforts to the list of "opportunities" (flaws) that IBM established as a result of their interviews with 38 Studios staff a full two years before the company folded. Next, consider that any day that CIG earns less than around $100K is considered a loss for them, and that's a conservative estimate that assumes a single facility in Manchester (as opposed to four facilities on two continents) and also poorly estimates the number of contracted personnel. Third, look at the status of their product. Squadron 42 will not be released this year, and without anything significant to show for their efforts there is little reason to think that backers will display any kind of enthusiasm for further pledges. Fourth, the established methods of selling starships have failed and with that CIG's revenue stream is drying up. CIG has systematically eliminated every motivation backers have had to purchase ships. It's blatantly clear that "limited" sales are a farce, the prices are high enough that the risk of getting stuck with a lemon is not worth the mediocre reduction in price from buying early, LTI has been devalued to the point where anyone can get it, and CIG has completely eliminated their credibility. We've finally reached the "put up or shut up" phase of backer patience, and CIG has no cards left to show.

So what's next? More of the same. Most of the folks working at CIG aren't stupid and can see the writing on the wall. The higher level folks who would suffer the most when things fail (folks like Alex Mayberry and Travis Day) left months ago, or are in the process of leaving like the rumors of Sean Tracy. Since industry is already well aware that the project is proper hosed and Roberts has mismanaged things into an impossible situation the lower level folks have a perfect excuse to keep drawing a paycheck and gently caress around while putting out substandard work. Are the rings on Port Olisar jittering because CIG's flavor of CryEngine is a jury-rigged mess or because the guy coding it got lazy and doesn't give a poo poo? It doesn't matter. Was Ben misinformed about the Xi'An Scout having two seats because he's incompetent or because the folks working under him are actively sabotaging someone they hate? It doesn't matter. In the end the artists will get assets to add to their portfolio, the programmers will get more years on their LinkedIn account and a hilarious set of war stories to laugh about at their next job, and the only people who will be really hosed are the backers.

So that's my theory. Everybody within CIG knows they're hosed, people are leaving as soon as the collapse runs the risk of damaging them, and those who are left are so unmotivated that nothing is getting done.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that.

Derek on behalf of everyone, this "i have a secret,just thought you should know" thing is getting old, either tell us what it is or just stop reminding us every five seconds,sincerely everyone ever.

p.s. I don't think you're so bad you just get carried away with your reputation sometimes.

p.p.s. Seriously stop doing this poo poo it's annoying.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

eXXon posted:

It's not a complete scam, though. Sure, they're blowing lots of money on stupid poo poo that has nothing to do with the game, but they're still half-assedly trying to make a game, just failing spectacularly.

I mean if they were really talented scam artists, they'd have a better PR team and try to sweep more of the embarrassing poo poo under the rug instead of airing it out in the open. But imagine if they were also competent enough to have 10-20% of the game done by now instead of 2%. Would we be seeing whales plunking down $50k for space stations and planets?

They're not just failing spectacularly - they're arrogant enough to think they're succeeding. It's the game development version of Ken Lee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt-h753jHI

Edit: I should clarify I'm referring to people like Sandi. The project is filled with people who realize it's going nowhere.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 28, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

It seems to me it isn't that bad..yet.
I suspect in the coming weeks RTV and 10 FTC will get canceled, or drastically reduced.
I doubt 2.4 will hit this month on the PTU, because lets face it, they can hardly manage and there is little to nothing in the drat patches.
Getting the starfarer hangar ready isn't that big of an accomplishment.

It's like many have said before, the only thing that could increase revenue now, would be to implement a huge gameplay feature ( like mining ) and then to a sale on the mining ship.
But one thing I have been wondering, if the situation was this bad, wouldn't we be hearing stories about employees needing to wait on their paycheck?

Also something else that occured to me, the cult keeps claiming 'if poo poo was that bad, how come we haven't heard from it"
Then recently this thread was put up the wildstar reddit page.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/429bt8/alleged_carbine_exemployees_talk_about_their/ ( personally I think Wildstar and SC have a lot of similarities regarding EGO and waiste of money, nepotism, development. etc. )
This shows that it can take a loving long time before the poo poo leaks out.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 28, 2016

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
yay, space bulldozer AND "be quiet or the spaceship might hear you" happened!

now they're space marining the Kilrathi

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

eXXon posted:

You are absolutely right, of course - they are as bad at scamming as they are at development, and it is really hurting their bottom line. They should have gone all in on the scam from the beginning, instead of transitioning slowly midway through the process. They could have faked an incredible development process with the amount of resources they have!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Derek's really implying something is happening really really soon*

*Subject to change

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Star Citizen (comedy/drama) - Chris tells his backers that it annoys him when people ask where a long-promised and publicized product has gone, while trying to hide the fact that it is actually cancelled. Meanwhile, Sandi attempts to feed 3 dozen donuts to a morbidly obese coworker. Ben mentions Wing Commander.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 28, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

D_Smart posted:

It's worse than that.

"Two weeks" and "I predicted this back in..." is pretty much played out. If you are sitting on info but don't want to release it for whatever reason, you could simply keep it to yourself until news breaks. Nobody gives a poo poo that you predicted anything or you knew before info was released publicly but you here. Save that poo poo for trolling the idiots on reddit.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen (comedy/drama) - Chris tells his backers that it annoys him when people ask where a long-promised and publicized product has gone, while trying to hide the fact that it is actually cancelled. Meanwhile, Sandi attempts to feed 3 dozen donuts to a morbidly obese coworker.

Fridays at 3, 2 central

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

D_Smart posted:

My point was that, even as seen in this Star Traders fiasco, Shitizens shilling doesn't do that much. Especially when you consider that there are over 500K (that 1M number is bullshit - there's proof) Star Citizen fans (including Shitizens). It's the same reason that their videos don't get that much watch traffic, Arena Commander is now largely abandonded etc. The whales are in an protracted uprising etc. It will all come to a head very soon; and anyone who has remotely relied on Star Citizen for anything, is going to be affected by it. And I said before, I'm going to burn it all down. And everyone who ever gained anything from Star Citizen, is going to be collateral damage. When the collapse comes, and my blog about it hits, everyone is going in it. And in my book (which is still WIP).

That's how that works.

ps: Dan, you rear end in a top hat, if this is you (I know it's not Keith); man you're so hosed.

This is something since following this train wreck I have never got my head around. Despite the huge numbers (money numbers mainly) Why the social aspect of it is so low. I mean a csgo frag/lol vid can get way more watches and on twitch they don't exist. YouTube no one cares unless its a lol vid made by goons. Even official vids get pretty low views.

The hype about this game is the believers vs wut crowd and it doesn't seem to be 'that' many people. Is this end of normal folks interest?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

iron buns posted:

What's with the USER folder anyways? Every time there's a patch they tell people to delete it. Can't the game or the patcher do it automatically?

Don't be silly. Even the uninstaller can't remove this virus when you uninstall it.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

what happens to this thread after star citizen?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Merged with the LoD thread

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Derek Smart's Ultimate Line of Defense: Star Citizens Attack

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

It seems to me it isn't that bad..yet.
I suspect in the coming weeks RTV and 10 FTC will get canceled, or drastically reduced.
I doubt 2.4 will hit this month on the PTU, because lets face it, they can hardly manage and there is little to nothing in the drat patches.
Getting the starfarer hangar ready isn't that big of an accomplishment.

It's like many have said before, the only thing that could increase revenue now, would be to implement a huge gameplay feature ( like mining ) and then to a sale on the mining ship.
But one thing I have been wondering, if the situation was this bad, wouldn't we be hearing stories about employees needing to wait on their paycheck?

Also something else that occured to me, the cult keeps claiming 'if poo poo was that bad, how come we haven't heard from it"
Then recently this thread was put up the wildstar reddit page.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/429bt8/alleged_carbine_exemployees_talk_about_their/ ( personally I think Wildstar and SC have a lot of similarities regarding EGO and waiste of money, nepotism, development. etc. )
This shows that it can take a loving long time before the poo poo leaks out.

The thing about studio collapses is that there is no warning. Employees won't get any warning until their paychecks aren't issued. That's how quickly these things fall apart. Nobody outside of those with access to CIG's financials will have any idea about it, and frankly given CIG's history I would take them not revealing the state of their finances as a sign that the outlook is poor.

RTV they can do whatever they want, but 104TC is a feature paid for by subscribers so there are consequences for it.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Daztek posted:

is that like the equivalent of the crusader kings 2 sunset invasion dlc?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Happy Sisyphus posted:

We'll have a new one where we all pat ourselves in the back about how right we were. We post meltdowns, news articles of the fallout and of the murder/suicides, etc. Eventually it gets gold mined or gassed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

Are you going to set up a Kickstarter for this book?

Perhaps use this as the cover?

No. I don't funding for it. So it will be just fine I think.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Daztek posted:

Smart Citizen:smug:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

eXXon posted:

I mean if they were really talented scam artists, they'd have a better PR team and try to sweep more of the embarrassing poo poo under the rug instead of airing it out in the open.

Nigerian email scammers purposefully put typos and grammatical errors in their bait messages to appear more realistic and approachable to their marks.

I missed the Star Tracers bit but had some good belly laughs at the fantastic posting coverage in this thread. Do you think I could get a cracked version of Photoshop from Ryan Archer?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
well that was bad

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

uhm, no I haven't. Where'd you hear/read that?

All I've said is that what's coming is a lot worse than anyone could have possibly envisioned. And I just made this tweet this morning

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/714447208570044416

Derek - you're great and everything, and I have you to partly thank for me ending up in this forum, so thanks. That aside, you must be aware these continual predictions of yours are getting a little out of hand.

I feel reverse trolled

:negative:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

orcinus posted:

Yup. 145x145x175mm. Form1+ i had before it was 125x125x165, but realistically, you couldn't print using nowhere near the full volume. Maybe not even half, unless it was a very thin-walled object. The peeling forces were simply too high, so an object with a footprint that big would just rip in half during the print.

This one uses a completely different peeling motion (lateral shift + lift) and is supposedly capable of using the whole volume just fine (i believe there's even a demo somewhere on Formlabs blogs).

Super jelly. I build models & a SLA printer is up there with a milling machine & vacuforming rig for "poo poo I wish I had so I could stop making poo poo outta PS & putty"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Since we're all dropping our theories, here's mine: CIG is going to pull a 38 Studios and collapse without any warning beyond what we've already seen, and those working on the project are fully aware of it and are just riding the wave until it crashes.

For starters, compare CIG's current efforts to the list of "opportunities" (flaws) that IBM established as a result of their interviews with 38 Studios staff a full two years before the company folded. Next, consider that any day that CIG earns less than around $100K is considered a loss for them, and that's a conservative estimate that assumes a single facility in Manchester (as opposed to four facilities on two continents) and also poorly estimates the number of contracted personnel. Third, look at the status of their product. Squadron 42 will not be released this year, and without anything significant to show for their efforts there is little reason to think that backers will display any kind of enthusiasm for further pledges. Fourth, the established methods of selling starships have failed and with that CIG's revenue stream is drying up. CIG has systematically eliminated every motivation backers have had to purchase ships. It's blatantly clear that "limited" sales are a farce, the prices are high enough that the risk of getting stuck with a lemon is not worth the mediocre reduction in price from buying early, LTI has been devalued to the point where anyone can get it, and CIG has completely eliminated their credibility. We've finally reached the "put up or shut up" phase of backer patience, and CIG has no cards left to show.

So what's next? More of the same. Most of the folks working at CIG aren't stupid and can see the writing on the wall. The higher level folks who would suffer the most when things fail (folks like Alex Mayberry and Travis Day) left months ago, or are in the process of leaving like the rumors of Sean Tracy. Since industry is already well aware that the project is proper hosed and Roberts has mismanaged things into an impossible situation the lower level folks have a perfect excuse to keep drawing a paycheck and gently caress around while putting out substandard work. Are the rings on Port Olisar jittering because CIG's flavor of CryEngine is a jury-rigged mess or because the guy coding it got lazy and doesn't give a poo poo? It doesn't matter. Was Ben misinformed about the Xi'An Scout having two seats because he's incompetent or because the folks working under him are actively sabotaging someone they hate? It doesn't matter. In the end the artists will get assets to add to their portfolio, the programmers will get more years on their LinkedIn account and a hilarious set of war stories to laugh about at their next job, and the only people who will be really hosed are the backers.

So that's my theory. Everybody within CIG knows they're hosed, people are leaving as soon as the collapse runs the risk of damaging them, and those who are left are so unmotivated that nothing is getting done.

Good post. Agree in most except with the sudden collapse part. Maybe it is a matter of semantics and it is all the same really. Maybe it is that CIG is already immersed (right back at cha) in the "collapse" phase and we are just seeing it trod along until a final stroke that can be called a "sudden collapse".

But let´s see what comes next. If the exiters coming up are really significant and if the blade/starfarer sales end up confirmed as the worst this could be really becoming a turning point.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TBH no one could have suspected that this would play out the same was as Freelancer.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Daztek posted:

This thing from jumppoint showed promise

It's the east coast from space at night but its minor at best compared to everything else
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...istance/252600/

Space station in the BG is sadly original do not steel CIG art

explosion graphic looks like a random one from google, but those are hard to recover because there are thousands

Posting from the past - this station design is horrible.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

That's not really "throwing you under the bus" that's telling insane people that you're not directly involved with the development of the game so that people don't harass them over what you say elsewhere. That's how it comes across to me at least and is fairly reasonable given the proclivity of Citizens being well, lovely to people they perceive as "negative" in their minds.

That said, it's a lone tweet so maybe there's more tweets etc. you can link that actually imply the conclusion you reached.

I agree. On the face of it, that's how I regarded it as well.

However, this didn't come from Keith (the creator), Favien (the CTO) or any lead of the project for that matter. So this was something he did, on his own, while posting from an a/c associated with the project.

I pulled my funding, as did some of my KS contacts, and notified Keith.

If the creators and leads didn't think it was appropriate, nothing - and nobody - gave him the right and/or authority to do that. All he did was play into their hands. And the project still barely got funded.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

eXXon posted:

Imagine how much money they could have raised if they were actually any good at what they do and had a real product to show for it. Or maybe the over-promising and under-delivering is just part of the charm for fantasy spaceship autists?

No loving kidding. We joke about them a lot, but they truly have been exemplary at liberating money from internet rubes using nothing but smoke & mirrors but if the actual development was on pace with the rest of their performance, holy gently caress I'd be a bigger sperg for it than CliffyMiku. And I'm legitimately a sperg, so that's saying something.

Alas they're shite at actual development, thanks to copious layers of complete incompetence, like an onion made of failure.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002
I think the worst/most horrible thing they could possibly do is to say

'if you guys don't contribute more, we're going to have to let people go'

so that's my vote

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Thirsty Dog posted:

Just how thin skinned do you have to be to consider a tweet clarifying that Derek Smart isn't actually involved in the project to be throwing him under the bus?

Internet Warlord? Internet Sensitive Susan, more like.

You don't get it. But then again I don't expect you (or anyone) to. Note that I never even responded to that Tweet because I didn't want that drama to affect Keith and Favien's project.

quote:

pan·der
ˈpandər/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: pandering
gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire, need, or habit or a person with such a desire, etc.).
"newspapers are pandering to people's baser instincts"
synonyms: indulge, gratify, satisfy, cater to, give in to, accommodate, comply with
"David was always there to pander to her every whim"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You've said exactly this for months, it's not exactly contributing a whole deal by now.

So uhm, maybe just ignore it? It's in my feed; not yours.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

TBH no one could have suspected that this would play out the same was as Freelancer.
Yeah.

If only there were some kind of documented evidence of Chris repeatedly running projects into the ground with dreams. But alas, there was just no way to know.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

uhm, no I haven't. Where'd you hear/read that?

All I've said is that what's coming is a lot worse than anyone could have possibly envisioned. And I just made this tweet this morning

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/714447208570044416

Are they going to change engines?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I like to imagine that the very act of Derek making these predictions has a very real effect at CIG, so Derek please continue. Nothing pleases me more than knowing they're having emergency meetings to try and figure out how to make it look like you were wrong, particularly when the thing you're going to be "wrong" about is loving inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

Are they going to change engines?

lol, Erin is in the US to install the UE4 SDK on everyone's computers

• Locked thread