Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I have only been playing in coop, how are fellow wizards dealing with fighting in the dark when solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

buy the lantern thing you can hang from your weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a ring that makes light, although it won't be an option right at the start.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

You do have to kill it but you could go to the right through the dome instead of left through hager's cavern and come back when you're more powerful.

Right, that place that I found and then forgot existed. I need to start making an actual "Explore Later" list.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So the dragon in the castle of the storms keep kicking my rear end. Is it viable to try and farm an amber idol from the mages to make the Black Widow, since i'm currently working on a STR/MAG build, or is the item find bonus from the guide not good enough?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Having finished the game with giant gently caress off swords, then spending four hours yesterday with a giant gently caress off hammer, I wanna switch it up. What weapons would y'all recommend for a Mage?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

EC posted:

Having finished the game with giant gently caress off swords, then spending four hours yesterday with a giant gently caress off hammer, I wanna switch it up. What weapons would y'all recommend for a Mage?

I've been rocking Black Widow since i liked the claymore so much as it's pretty solid for a magic heavy build with a B scaling in Magic at +3.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Black Widow is absolutely choice, just murders everything in its path.

Noblesse Oblige posted:

God damnit. My game just crashed and corrupted my save file. I'm liking the game quite a bit, but I think this is a sign for me to drop this for a while and come back after a few patches.

I had only two crashes my whole first playthrough, so I wonder if the recent patch has actually made things worse, not better...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

EC probably doesn't want to use another greatsword given what he said. Not a bad idea to start with since it's available early, but a good alternate solution would be one of the magic-scaling swords. Branded Iron for fire, and Shikeimaru for a cool arcane-damage katana (same moveset as all the swords).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have been making a number of S&S videos for my channel, and today I finally finished off a sort of combat tutorial, so if you are looking for some good advice on combat or if you want to see the movesets of some weapon types, I'd invite you to check out my video, Cooking with Salt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvaRcD-T-U

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where are all the Stone Mages at? I've only found one so far this game, in a secret area right after the Sodden Knight.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

EC probably doesn't want to use another greatsword given what he said. Not a bad idea to start with since it's available early, but a good alternate solution would be one of the magic-scaling swords. Branded Iron for fire, and Shikeimaru for a cool arcane-damage katana (same moveset as all the swords).

I'll look into both of these, thanks.

I made it through Tree of Men and explored the Cavern after, and the boss of that area is just wiping me out. I keep reading that magic is incredibly OP but I have to be missing something. You have a lot more resource management compared to big fuckoff weapons, and it was taking me three or four lightning bolt casts to kill various mobs in the area. I'm using the trifork staff thingee (you find one right at the beginning of the Red Cages, I bought one off the mage merchant earlier) upgraded to IV. Magic stat is somewhere around 36.

What am I missing in a magic build?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

EC posted:

I made it through Tree of Men and explored the Cavern after, and the boss of that area is just wiping me out. I keep reading that magic is incredibly OP but I have to be missing something. You have a lot more resource management compared to big fuckoff weapons, and it was taking me three or four lightning bolt casts to kill various mobs in the area. I'm using the trifork staff thingee (you find one right at the beginning of the Red Cages, I bought one off the mage merchant earlier) upgraded to IV. Magic stat is somewhere around 36.

I have no insight other than to agree. I beat that boss by pumping heavy armor to rank 4 so I could wear the lamprey suit and chugging pots while wailing on him using black widow w/ blessed page buffs.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Your magic stat is fine; have you been upgrading your staff? Did you find the Lighting Burst/Lightning Barrage spell in the Castle of Storms? If not, go find it; it's incredibly powerful and relatively low cost, it melts enemies easy.

The Disemboweled Husk is weak to holy attacks, so if you can go to a Sanctuary of Devara and pick up some Sacred Pages from a cleric, it can help immensely.

You can stand at range to avoid all of the Husk's attacks, so fight him Megaman style and dodge to the edges of the arena.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Your magic stat is fine; have you been upgrading your staff? Did you find the Lighting Burst/Lightning Barrage spell in the Castle of Storms? If not, go find it; it's incredibly powerful and relatively low cost, it melts enemies easy.

The Disemboweled Husk is weak to holy attacks, so if you can go to a Sanctuary of Devara and pick up some Sacred Pages from a cleric, it can help immensely.

You can stand at range to avoid all of the Husk's attacks, so fight him Megaman style and dodge to the edges of the arena.

Yeah, I have a Scrimshaw Cane upgraded to IV Rowan Crosier upgraded to III, and Lightning Bolt/Barrage are my go to spells. I also have Flame Guardian, which I usually only use for bosses or bigger enemies, and a handful of other spells that are flame based.

Both of the swords Genocyber mentioned are Class 4. That's a lot of skill points in the non magic branch. :( I guess I'll keep using the Arming Sword and Arcane Weapon and see how it goes.

EC fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 28, 2016

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

EC posted:

If you find the betrayer creed and start murdering people you can get Dark Coil. A spell that has piercing, homing bolts that can kill bosses in less then 10 seconds and is very mana efficient.
Its blood magic so no elemental instability but it does curse you making you more vulnerable to damage.
My wizard is magic only so fighting between bosses can suck, against knights with shields especially.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

EC posted:

Like 8 Bit Scholar said, track down that lightning barrage spell. When I fought the husk, it was a matter of learning not to damage race him with LB, but "barrage, roll through one musket blast, then the second, rinse and repeat" while staying far enough away from him that his melee attacks won't be an issue.

I put enough points into the sword tree to wield the queen of smile's greatsword, which puts the arming sword to shame. You may want to look into that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It took me way too long to figure out how to use the Stone Guide in this game. I thought I'd need one at any sanctuary I wanted to fast-travel to, so I wasn't placing them and agonizing over where the best places would be. Now I know I can just place one in whatever sanctuary I want and use cheap horns to warp to him, then travel elsewhere from there. It's making things a lot easier.

I'm still pretty early on--I just got the walk-on-the-ceiling brand--and I'm in love with the Infantry Pollaxe. Is this thing every going to peter out and/or are there even better polearms out there?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There might be better for your particular stat growth or if you want additional magic effects but you should be just fine upgrading the piss out of that + whatever its primary stat is for a while

The Tier 3 poleaxe is a Naginata which goes well with the Samurai Armor

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

It took me way too long to figure out how to use the Stone Guide in this game. I thought I'd need one at any sanctuary I wanted to fast-travel to, so I wasn't placing them and agonizing over where the best places would be. Now I know I can just place one in whatever sanctuary I want and use cheap horns to warp to him, then travel elsewhere from there. It's making things a lot easier.

I'm still pretty early on--I just got the walk-on-the-ceiling brand--and I'm in love with the Infantry Pollaxe. Is this thing every going to peter out and/or are there even better polearms out there?

Yes it will start doing very mediocre damage after awhile. I had to switch to the rank 2 sword for maybe half the game, then I got the rank 4 halberd which is awesome and used that. A pistol goes great with both weapons.

They get extremely weak in NG+ again but that seems to be true of most dexterity weapons.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I beat this with my greathammer build but don't really feel like doing NG+ with it.

I really want to do a Hunter. Anyone have pointers? Starting creed, target creed, target gear, etc?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress whoever decided putting the pitchwoods past a shitload of boring platforming with no sanctuary when you arrive. Completely dick move.

Why yes, I did get impaled by a unicorn when I failed megaman, why do you ask

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

gently caress whoever decided putting the pitchwoods past a shitload of boring platforming with no sanctuary when you arrive. Completely dick move.

Why yes, I did get impaled by a unicorn when I failed megaman, why do you ask

Okay, scout's honor, this is how you clear that:

gently caress those horses. Use the light platforms to jump over the first set of them; if you can manage it you won't fall at all until you get to the end, but just getting over the first ones will do. ROLL THROUGH all the rest, go light roll, gently caress armor, just roll roll roll roll roll until you're clear. You can even jump up on the last light platform if you've got one hot on your rear end.

Once you roll past them all just keep going left until you find a Sanctuary. Ah, it's in a lake so don't go...uh...too far left.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Satorr posted:

I beat this with my greathammer build but don't really feel like doing NG+ with it.

I really want to do a Hunter. Anyone have pointers? Starting creed, target creed, target gear, etc?

Start as The Three since that's the easiest to level. At Devotion 3 (I think) you can purchase a flintlock pistol from the Blacksmith. Pistols (especially the higher tier ones you transmute) are quite powerful and you can parry with them. A cool thing you can do is do a melee attack and then followup with an r2 that has you dashing back and firing a shot (also works with xbows and wands). Switch over to The Stone Roots once you have your pistol; for a light weapon build poison is incredibly helpful versus the tankier bosses, and two of the rewards for gaining Devotion are tons of poison knives and a poison buff item, respectively.

For gear I'd recommend going with both swords and whips, maybe daggers too if you like the feel. Swords are solid weapons with fun combos, whips are a bit boring but have very good range. With Whips you can also make a few whip swords that have a mix of whip and sword movesets. A cool sword you can make is Flint & Steel which is a gunsword (be wary of using it in combination with a pistol, firing it causes a glitch making pistols just vanish from your inventory if you have them equipped).

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Redact my bitching earlier. The game "clicked" for me when I decidedly opted to NOT shoot my build in the foot by going Pauper -> Str/Magic build. That should just be a stickynote for Souls games and Soullikes: do not do goofy experimental builds in the first playthrough

Just beat Tower of Men and I am now feeling the SotN vibes.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress that place entirely. Is there any faster way down there? I'm totally sick of running and jumping back.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
This game is loving dumb and crashes half the time I rest at an altar. Reinstalled and same thing. What the gently caress?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

gently caress that place entirely. Is there any faster way down there? I'm totally sick of running and jumping back.

There's a shrine that ought to stick you just above a drop or two from it. There's a single knight in the way IIRC, easy to kill, so look for a small shrine area if you haven't found it.

Skilleddk posted:

This game is loving dumb and crashes half the time I rest at an altar. Reinstalled and same thing. What the gently caress?

May want to wait for another patch, seems that the first patch has caused this to happen more often. It only did it twice for me when I did my first run through.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's a shrine that ought to stick you just above a drop or two from it. There's a single knight in the way IIRC, easy to kill, so look for a small shrine area if you haven't found it.

I need to find this, I'm running all the way from far shore and it totally blows. I thought I checked each room on the way down, but apparently not.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

I need to find this, I'm running all the way from far shore and it totally blows. I thought I checked each room on the way down, but apparently not.

The Far Shore? Jesus you could just use the elevator to get up to the Red Hall Sanctuary, lol.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I find that in this game, if you're having to run a nasty gauntlet to go back to a boss, chances are there's probably a Sanctuary or Mini-Sanctuary nearby.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Far Shore? Jesus you could just use the elevator to get up to the Red Hall Sanctuary, lol.

Where is this exactly from the Red Hall sanc? Nothing in the game has pissed me off as badly as this place :mad:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Just FYI the Pitchwoods are totally optional. Just a boss and a creed in there.

I can't remember how I got there but it was definitely a short run from a sanctuary. Isn't there one just due left from the bottom left start of pitchwoods? The one near the witch of the lake maybe.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I haven't found the lake so if there's another route I'll just go there later, the from from far shore is insanely long

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

Where is this exactly from the Red Hall sanc? Nothing in the game has pissed me off as badly as this place :mad:

IIRC it's below it. There's a single guy with a cleaver in the way down a long rear end hallway, before you get into all the archers on platforms.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Picked this up the other day after doubting it a bit from hearing about the end game. Really enjoying it thus far, the only really bullshit boss was Tree Of Men which i beat by jusy retrying until i lucked out on not getting knocked into the pit-o-death.

I'm playing as a heavily armored rear end in a top hat with a huge two handed sword that fucks up most things in a couple of hits that are well outside of their range. Bosses usually melt with a small bit of rolling around and stamina management.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Really enjoying it thus far, the only really bullshit boss was Tree Of Men which i beat by jusy retrying until i lucked out on not getting knocked into the pit-o-death.

Really, picking up on the game's natural "flow" is the real difficulty here. On ToM in particular, his difficulty is all about how quick you are to get out of "oh poo poo" mode in time to really navigate that bullshit arena.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I feel like I missed out on the tree of men fall damage hyjinx (on p2) by sitting in the top left corner and tanking the fire damage and just jumping every time the top swiped at me (it's a really obvious tell and you can swing at it right after it attacks).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I didn't really change anything, but I've beaten the Dome bosses and gotten the second brand on this build. Hopefully it'll pick up from here on out.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Salt & Sanctuary: Just Use Giant gently caress Off Weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

I didn't really change anything, but I've beaten the Dome bosses and gotten the second brand on this build. Hopefully it'll pick up from here on out.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Salt & Sanctuary: Just Use Giant gently caress Off Weapons

The game's gonna pick up a fair bit as you get access to more movement options. Take on the Ziggurat next.

• Locked thread