Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
VR isn't like a surprise or anything, it has been pushed for years now especially in the spergy simulator community. It seems weird to come out and say you didn't even think about it as a possibility in your racing sim game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Disappointing.

But, I'm a big stupid idiot with triple screens anyway. I was planing on waiting for the second generation of VR stuff to hit before I jump in.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Norns posted:

I was planing on waiting for the second generation of VR stuff to hit before I jump in.

After Giant Bomb's coverage of the oculus launch titles, this is definitely the way to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's no surprise, launch titles are always garbage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
By "SDK has changed" I think he means they only implemented extended mode which was always advertised as a workaround and would be going away in a future runtime. So I guess they would have to entirely rewrite the entire thing to support direct mode.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From what I've heard from developers they didn't provide the release version SDK until today unless you were selling your game on the Oculus Store. Which is pretty lovely and means most non-store games don't work with the consumer Rift yet.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm thinking about going widescreen as a stop gap until VR is beyond its growing pains (if it does). Anyone use a 21:10 (or is it 21:9?) monitor and can elaborate on which games do it well and if it's worth it as an upgrade from 16:9?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's a thing.

VR shenanigans

Linked because it's huge.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

Well that's a thing.

VR shenanigans

Linked because it's huge.

haha that's great. And terrifying

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

I'm thinking about going widescreen as a stop gap until VR is beyond its growing pains (if it does). Anyone use a 21:10 (or is it 21:9?) monitor and can elaborate on which games do it well and if it's worth it as an upgrade from 16:9?

I've got a Dell U3415 and it's great. A few things get a bit stretched (Automobilista's menus and driving HUD, pCARS's telemetry overlay, etc) but for the most part everything works fine.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Eyud posted:

I've got a Dell U3415 and it's great. A few things get a bit stretched (Automobilista's menus and driving HUD, pCARS's telemetry overlay, etc) but for the most part everything works fine.

Can confirm, I've had this one for 2 months. And yeah, most of the issues I have been finding with it are UI related, as most UIs weren't developed with wider than 16:9 in mind (Just like 10-15 years ago a lot of games were still being developed with nothing wider than 4:3 in mind)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Automobilista's disappeared from Steam because someone filed a copyright claim against it. Rumour is it was Formula One which is pretty scary.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

Automobilista's disappeared from Steam because someone filed a copyright claim against it. Rumour is it was Formula One which is pretty scary.

I got my version.. woudl stink if they got sunk thoguh.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

njsykora posted:

emm, that's not great. I'm guessing that its the F1-like paint schemes on the Formula cars rather than the fake F1 cars themselves: otherwise every racing game that has a car inspired by F1 in it is at risk. If it the fact that they had a few cars that looked similar to an F1 car in the game then surely that must be bullshit?

e: although considering the source for the F1 thing I'm not at all sure it is them

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 30, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

FOM filed a gently caress ton of copyright notices recently. Probably part of all that blanket bullshit. Tons of mods with F1 liveries disappeared over the past couple weeks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd assume its the cars themselves, because if it was the paint schemes that would presumably be the domain of the individual teams. But from what I understand the cars aren't owned by FOM, as McLaren licenced the MP4-30 to iRacing, Lotus licence out their old stuff to anyone, the Formula Classic and Retro I believe are licenced cars through the Senna deal. The only other thing it might be is a track, and I think only Montreal, Kyalami and Red Bull Ring are unlicenced real world tracks at this point.

E: While we're on stupid poo poo, apparently Project CARS won't work with the Oculus Rift unless you have the Oculus Store version. You can get a key for the Oculus version if you have the game on Steam, but only if you've bought all the DLC since the Oculus version is the upcoming GOTY edition.

quote:

The version we released on the Oculus Store is the base Project CARS game plus all DLC up to this point. We will patch it up to full GOTY version for free once the final DLC is live. So what you buy/get on Oculus Store is the full GOTY version.

What we are pushing for is to give Oculus Store keys to those customers who's purchased the same on Steam. So, if you've either purchased the base game and all DLC, or you buy the upcoming GOTY version on Steam, then you will get a complimentary key for the Oculus Store version. The final call is with our publisher, but we feel that this is a very fair scenario and expect that they will agree.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 30, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Bummer for anyone who has a Rift now but he did also say:

quote:

We will be patching the Steam version to the same level of functionality as soon as we practically can.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Got to try PCARS yesterday with a retail rift. While cool, fidelity is to low for me to invest over my Triple setup right now. Also keeping that thing on for endurance racing, lol...

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
The NSX mod for Assetto Corsa is the tits.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

TWSS posted:

The NSX mod for Assetto Corsa is the tits.

I'll have to try it. Been looking for a fun road car to tool around with on that road corse coming on the 31st.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The NSX is one of the all time great mods and the more games it gets converted to the better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only issue with the NSX is it's built for very small people. I have a friend with one and got a chance to drive it over the summer.. my legs were jammed up against the bottom of the steering wheel.

I'm your typical 5'10" 40 year old with a gut too.. big but not huge.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

xzzy posted:

My only issue with the NSX is it's built for very small people. I have a friend with one and got a chance to drive it over the summer.. my legs were jammed up against the bottom of the steering wheel.

I'm your typical 5'10" 40 year old with a gut too.. big but not huge.

I mean yeah. Built by Asians and tested by tiny Brazilian F1 driver back in the day.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Some good poo poo coming out in the next AC update http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-v1-5-dev-diary-part-33/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The radical change for the Oculus SDK they keep talking about was dropping extended support. I'm not privy to the exact details but a lot of developers quickly hacked in extended support for whatever game they were making. Extended was only ever meant to be a quick workaround while direct mode was being worked on. I don't know if the AC devs realized this or not.

Edit: I always meant to redo my VR thing. Now that VR is actually released might be a good time but probably not. The only thing updated to consumer VR is Project Cars and as of right now, only on the Oculus store. Steam version is supposed to be updated whenever they get the chance. I'll have to see how things work out over the next few weeks. I doubt Vive support is going to happen for sims for quite a while.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 30, 2016

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Since SA has an official Discord server now, I requested a channel for us racing nerds. If you've never used Discord, it's like IRC and Mumble combined in one app (with web, desktop, and phone clients) with some nice enhancements.

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

To get authed, look in the #rules_and_info channel and do the !authme thing. There's a text channel (#racing-goons) and a voice channel to start. If people actually use it and we need more voice channels or whatever, we can get those added later.

Join up!

Eyud fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 30, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Goetta posted:

Some good poo poo coming out in the next AC update http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-v1-5-dev-diary-part-33/

gently caress YES PIT STOPS, AI improvements and some good Mazdas coming.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

Vive support is going to happen for sims for quite a while.

https://www.lfs.net/patch-6n

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

gently caress YES PIT STOPS, AI improvements and some good Mazdas coming.

Not too excited by the coming MX-5's, them being the 2015 is hard to get into when the 2016 is so much better. Really happy to see the RX-7 though, but I wish they'd figured out a Japanese track to include if they were doing a Japan DLC.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Does Discord have an overlay that actually works in 64 bit? That's the thing I would like to see most from Mumble right now, and I definitely won't bother switching if I don't gain a working overlay in iRacing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Not too excited by the coming MX-5's, them being the 2015 is hard to get into when the 2016 is so much better. Really happy to see the RX-7 though, but I wish they'd figured out a Japanese track to include if they were doing a Japan DLC.

Yeah, the 2016 mx5 is dope in iRacing.

I'd be down for Suzuka in AC.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

Does Discord have an overlay that actually works in 64 bit? That's the thing I would like to see most from Mumble right now, and I definitely won't bother switching if I don't gain a working overlay in iRacing.

I'll try it out tonight. Their overlay is still pretty new and I don't think it works with all games yet but when it does it's way nicer than Mumble's.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not related to anything but I finally got around to watching Going Faster (because I was bored) and I've found it's really made it easier to remember fundamental things with regards to braking and refining my line. I was doing hotlaps at Snetterton in PCars because British F3 started and I've managed to get about a second off my old best time in the Formula C.

So yeah, you should watch Going Faster if you're not fast.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Or even if you are fast watch it. Also buy the book.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

So nope, I wasn't able to get the overlay working (in 64 bit DX11 mode anyway).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The AC update is great.

The new tire model improved feel of every car I've used so far.

The new track is a ton of fun. Very new driver friendly, but a blast to drive around at speed.

The audio is improved all around. I'm hearing lots of great reverb and things I didn't get before. They also added a separate slider for transmission noise, it's pretty cool if you're into car noise.

The visual track improvements are pretty great too. The tarmac in particular on launch tracks is much nicer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
When's the new UI debuting?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

One of the billboards along the new track is an ad for the Japanese pack and it shows the 2016 Miata, so I dunno why they're calling it a 2015.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like Black Cat Canyon, I can see myself doing many laps of it in road cars since it's basically Baby's First Nordschleife. The (non-GT3) GTR NISMO is a drift monster around there with all the elevation changes and banked turns. The Mustang and Chevy I couldn't give a toss about really, but the Abarth 595 is hilarious. Top speed of 65mph and super unstable if you even go near a kerb. Ran it round Magione for about 20 minutes trying to keep a hold of it. I think it might be a decent competitor for the Peugeot 504 as well.

I recommend trying the new RaceRoom patch as well, it feels like they've finally been able to lessen the heavy boat feeling a lot of their cars had in the past. The GT3 cars feel pretty drat good as a result and all the cars I tried feel significantly less sluggish leaving the pits. Hopefully this is the start of a turnaround for that game with the GTR3 pack and the not-Formula Ford car coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
Black Cat Canyon would be fun for a trackday muck around thing with friends, scenery is boring as hell though. Well, mostly,