Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Aside from the memory card issue and the price of the games pretty much every criticism you can level against the Vita not having a breakout success you can also level against the 3DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bass Bottles posted:

3DS is a hella ace system tho and it still is selling worse than the garbage PSP did.

I think LAdy Naga is sort of right that Nintendo handhelds have crazy intertia, which is the only reason the 3DS was able to crawl out of its hole and make a humble, if disappointing life for itself.

Vita never stood a chance. Most people seem to think it's an amazing piece of hardware, too. Like, I know the memory cards were dumb, but I don't think Sony fumbled the ball too bad on the hardware itself. They just didn't have the momentum of years and years of beloved handheld games being released.

the vita couldve done well honestly, its good hardware and sony has enough support to ge t good titles but they just hosed up big time with the memory cards, pricing and lack of software support. rip

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Didn't the 3DS also have horrible pricing problems

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lady Naga posted:

yeah but they did actually cut the price, plus the inertia

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

yeah but they did actually cut the price, plus the inertia

yeah that was sort of my point, they both had horrible horrible launches that mostly mirrored each other but the 3DS survived because Nintendo Is Handhelds and Sony doesn't get that luxury.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The 3DS had a rough first 6 months but was saved by the Mario Land 3D/Monster Hunter 3/Mario Kart 7 trifecta later that year, jacking up the installbase and basically resurrecting it from the dead.

Lady Naga posted:

Initially yeah, it was $250 on launch in the states. Nintendo dropped the price to $170 and threw in the Ambassador program as an apology for the price cut. That in conjunction with the three games I mentioned made it a viable handheld again.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
vita and 3ds suffer from same problem: not enough anime games

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm not sure there was a viable western market for the Vita tho

Like, Nintendo cultivated a large fanbase in the west for their handhelds. Enough of it survived to eventually bail out the 3DS. Sony handhelds never had that, though, and they def weren't going to attract NEW people...

Sony recognized this early on so they cut and run pretty quick.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lady Naga posted:

yeah that was sort of my point, they both had horrible horrible launches that mostly mirrored each other but the 3DS survived because Nintendo Is Handhelds and Sony doesn't get that luxury.

yeah ur right myy bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm not sure there was a viable western market for the Vita tho

Like, Nintendo cultivated a large fanbase in the west for their handhelds. Enough of it survived to eventually bail out the 3DS. Sony handhelds never had that, though, and they def weren't going to attract NEW people...

idk tho again the psp did reaaallly well in europe. there is just a compound of gently caress ups with the vita that they couldnt overcome because they didnt have the same inertia and install bas eas nintendo

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The Vita has a bunch of really good, really interesting games but they're all new IPs so nobody wanted to buy them.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Stux posted:

idk tho again the psp did reaaallly well in europe. there is just a compound of gently caress ups with the vita that they couldnt overcome because they didnt have the same inertia and install bas eas nintendo

I didn't know it did well in Europe that's interesting

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

The Vita has a bunch of really good, really interesting games but they're all new IPs so nobody wanted to buy them.

freedom wars was a real cool MH game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bass Bottles posted:

I didn't know it did well in Europe that's interesting

p sure it sold more in the uk alone than japan even. europe will take any excuse to buy sony basically

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Oh look, it's Stux making GBS threads up a not-Sony thread.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Germstore posted:

A+ contribution

lmao I can't imagine a worse time to come in and make a drive-by shitpost calling out a guy you don't like than in the middle of a reasonable discussion of the merits/failings of the 3ds compared to the vita

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Germstore posted:

literally just talking abotu uhow sony completely hosed up the vita with stupid decisions

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Can't wait to shell out 60+ bucks for an NX "Pro" controller that actually is functional for playing games compared to the inevitably poo poo default controller.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I cannot believe that Nintendo sold a giant hunk of plastic (that took BATTERIES) in order to add a second analogue stick to their handheld, an innovation that had been a staple of console controls since the early 90s.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
late '90s

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

yes excuse

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I bought a circle pad pro for resident evil revelations and ended up going back to the old controls because the 3DS circle pad is NOT an analogue stick. It was easier to just use a b x y.

I love the 3DS but don't try to play 3D shooters on it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
They gave MGS3 3DS a MGS4-style control system with the CPP but didn't bother doing the same for the PS3/Vita remaster and it really chafes me!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lady Naga posted:

the snes is Bad.

So is the XB1 and PS4 but no one actually gives a poo poo because just like the SNES and the Wii U they each have some pretty good games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
thanks to the PSN the PS4 has a lot of really good games, way more than the SNES.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

nintendo makes great games. All mario games are good even sunshine. zelda's been rougher though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Mario and Zelda are incredibly boring.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The 3D Marios were great until they decided that they needed absolute brand uniformity.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Xavier434 posted:

So is the XB1 and PS4 but no one actually gives a poo poo because just like the SNES and the Wii U they each have some pretty good games.

actuallyl the ps4 is the best console since th eps2, the previous best console ever made

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cowman posted:

nintendo makes great games. All mario games are good even sunshine. zelda's been rougher though.

Doesn't help the last good Zelda was on SNES.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Tenzarin posted:

Doesn't help the last good Zelda was on SNES.

links awakening was actually the last officiallyl good zelda game

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lady Naga posted:

thanks to the PSN the PS4 has a lot of really good games, way more than the SNES.

Stux posted:

actuallyl the ps4 is the best console since th eps2, the previous best console ever made

Ok my bad. No actually gives a poo poo...except Stux and Lady Naga. Carry on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
PS4 is good but you know they should really make some games worth playing on it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Motto posted:

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

To this day it saddens me just how badly Sony hosed that up. At least with the PSP they actually bothered to make a variety of games based on their IPs. It bombed, but I still got some mileage out of it. What little they even do with the Vita anymore just seems to be targeting one specific demographic with incredibly Japanese style games. That's not such a bad thing, but the problem is that they do very little to appeal to other things.

Want to play WipEout? gently caress you we care about that less than Nintendo cares about F-Zero.
Maybe Ratchet & Clank, or Twisted Metal? Haha no!

Granted, this problem also extends to the PS4, but at least that gets 3rd party support.

Lady Naga posted:

A+ contribution

lmao I can't imagine a worse time to come in and make a drive-by shitpost calling out a guy you don't like than in the middle of a reasonable discussion of the merits/failings of the 3ds compared to the vita

Maybe if you put that in the vita/3DS thread rather than the NX thread.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 28, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xavier434 posted:

Ok my bad. No actually gives a poo poo...except Stux and Lady Naga. Carry on.

Cool to know my opinions don't matter the minute they don't agree with yours, what a sad way to live life.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lady Naga posted:

Cool to know my opinions don't matter the minute they don't agree with yours, what a sad way to live life.

That seems to be the basis for every single post you make, so...

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

nintendo needs to make a new F-Zero already

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can we get back to discussing the NX or anything other than this, please?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
videogames are good, but the hardware they are played on is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ometeotl posted:

That seems to be the basis for every single post you make, so...

Ive never said someones opinion doesn't matter.

• Locked thread