Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is iCloud hosed for anyone else? In the last 30 min my phone prompted me for my iCloud password then said it was wrong and it would email me so I opened my email client and that was prompting me for my iCloud password too. :/ (and saying it was wrong...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Saddle brown is actually the worst case, I've found. Honestly, they're all horrible except black.

Actually your a raggidy bitch and wrong.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

You see a spate of JL products burning people's houses down in the press? Me neither. Wonder why.

Because it's not in the media's interest to piss off sponsors for no reason. No one is writing "ARGOS charger burns family home" because the retailer isn't liable you twit and it would be libellous. Meanwhile, we know for sure that Christmas lights are routinely the cause of electrical faults and are bought on the highstreet.
I mean FFS just google "fire recall" or "electric shock recall" or something and get a long loving list of nice, CE stamped products, all recalled because they were dangerous.

lovely electronics legally stamped with a CE mark is a growing problem. If you don't believe me at least believe Trading standards whose report suggests:

quote:

Trading Standards Officers from Hertfordshire bought 21 electrical chargers and adaptors from UK based sellers on auction sites in a test purchasing exercise. Worryingly, 15 of them were found to not comply with European and UK safety legislation.

Seven were deemed dangerous enough to pose a risk of electrocution. All of the dangerous products have been now recalled by their UK sellers

quote:

'A further concern is that most of the products purchased in the Hertfordshire survey carried the CE mark, commonly interpreted by consumers to mean the product meets European safety standards.'

It is not a guarantee of safety. It is not intended to be.

I'm not going to reply again. If you want to buy lovely things and believe [insert major retailer] is some form of magic Aegis then just go loving ahead.

~Coxy posted:

This is all true, but there's still most probably a meaningful difference in quality between a "cheap" charger from a major national chain versus the cheapest thing you can get off eBay or aliexpress.

The one from the major national chain involves at least somewhat of a real contract with terms and a large enough supply chain and distribution network to rule out the shadiest of junk, plus the cost is at least an order of magnitude higher so there's less corners to be cut on quality.

I've known several buyers and reps for significant UK retailers and I can tell you there is no real quality control beyond 'is the company financially secure'. That said you're in a sense right, but if you look into product recalls you find most of them have a 'brand' to them and cost more. They're made largely in the same places with the same parts as the lovely ones.

Unfortunately bad OEMs realised a while ago that FC/CE marks are cheap to get and people mis-interpret them as a safety mark (like Bromance is) and buy these bad products under a false sense of security. 'Oh well it SAYS it is safe therefore there must be liability that isn't mine'. Nope.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Inspect Your Gadgets > The iPhone Thread: Are You CE Certified?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How about you CE you way outta this thread :xd:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

How about you CE you way outta this thread :xd:

How bout you go FCC yourself son :j:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:xd:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Is there a way to make it so when my phone is on Do Not Disturb that I can still see who called? The way it works is it sends everything to voicemail but that's not ideal since I'd still like to see missed calls. Is there any way to change that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Froist posted:

Have they launched any new cases specifically for the iPhone SE? Saddle Brown is the pinnacle of case technology and only became available with the 6S.

The Apple leather 5/5s/SE cases used to come in a variety of colors, including a light brown that was pretty close to the saddle brown 6/6s case, but at some point after the launch of the 6 they stopped making the non-black ones.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone having any issues with Safari? Specifically links in Google search don't work and cause safari to lock up and crash.

Edit: not just google links. Seems like lots off hyperlinks are broken. Tapping them highlights it but nothing happens, holding down as to get an open dialogue crashes safari. 3D Touch attempt crashes safari too.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 27, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Anyone having any issues with Safari? Specifically links in Google search don't work and cause safari to lock up and crash.
Are you using any content blockers?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are you using any content blockers?

I am. I disabled it and tried again. Same issue.

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

Jealous Cow posted:

There's a sticky about it on the iPhone sub on reddit. Not affecting all users for whatever reason and no official word from Apple yet.

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!

Jealous Cow posted:

Edit: not just google links. Seems like lots off hyperlinks are broken. Tapping them highlights it but nothing happens, holding down as to get an open dialogue crashes safari. 3D Touch attempt crashes safari too.

Having this too, system wide. Links in Whatsapp, Mail crash also. Turning off JavaScript allows Google to work but obviously breaks a lot of websites and doesn't affect Whatsapp etc. 9.3 on 6S Plus.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
GhostSteve is loving us again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Khablam posted:

Because it's not in the media's interest to piss off sponsors for no reason. No one is writing "ARGOS charger burns family home" because the retailer isn't liable you twit and it would be libellous. Meanwhile, we know for sure that Christmas lights are routinely the cause of electrical faults and are bought on the highstreet.

Christmas tree lights historically were a cause of fires because for a long time they were incandescent globes being strung through a drying out piece of vegetable matter filled with oil.

VVV this is wrong; see below

Anyway I think we all basically agree but we're splitting hairs now. Even the link you posted said that the chargers were bought off yumcha vendors on eBay.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 28, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Christmas tree lights historically were a cause of fires because for a long time they were incandescent globes being strung through a drying out piece of vegetable matter filled with oil.

Mythbusters and various reports on it concluded that it requires an electical fault to start the fires. The heat + wood just creates really awesome kindling.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm confused about the iPhone product line now. I get the SE. Who is the 6/6+ targeted at now?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dexter6 posted:

I'm confused about the iPhone product line now. I get the SE. Who is the 6/6+ targeted at now?

People who want the top of the line and/or huge screen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

dexter6 posted:

normal people that can't function with a screen size that society advanced past in 2011.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My roommate bought a 6 because the 6s was too expensive and "they're the same" so there you go

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ethanol posted:

My roommate bought a 6 because the 6s was too expensive and "they're the same" so there you go
Sounds like time for a new roommate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I recommend the RS+ roommate, a little bit bigger so the maturity should make life easier. Make sure you install the Dishwasher app.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
When I updated to 9.3 I started getting battery issues. When I open the camera and begin taking photos or video it drains the battery meter really fast, like it will show a loss of 30% in the space of two minutes. I took a video that was 4 minutes long and it went from 88% to 6%. When I plug the phone in the meter jumps to 40, then I unplugged and replugged and it jumped to 75, then again and it goes to 84. Same deal if I restart the phone it goes to where it should be.

Is this a known issue or should I take it in?

I have a launch day iPhone 6 btw.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

People who want the top of the line and/or huge screen.

The Lord Bude posted:

normal people that can't function with a screen size that society advanced past in 2011.
I think you misread my post. I understand why there is a 6S/6S+. I don't understand why there is a 6/6+.

ethanol posted:

Oh, OK. got it. haha

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I think you misread my post. I understand why there is a 6S/6S+. I don't understand why there is a 6/6+.
Oh, OK. got it. haha

I did, but the point still stands really. Iphones are considerably more expensive than android flagships, and plenty of people can't/won't pay for the premium, but also won't use a phone with a 4" screen. Buying a previous gen iphone is a more attractive option to many people on a budget than going with the security/update/3rd party skin clusterfuck that is the android world. I would think that the majority of people buying an iphone SE are doing it because they want a small phone with current specs, not because they can't afford a 6S. I'd be reluctant to recommend a 6 or 6+ to anyone though, given bendgate.

The real apple product that shouldn't exist is the Macbook.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 28, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I did, but the point still stands really. Iphones are considerably more expensive than android flagships, and plenty of people can't/won't pay for the premium, but also won't use a phone with a 4" screen. Buying a previous gen iphone is a more attractive option to many people on a budget than going with the security/update/3rd party skin clusterfuck that is the android world. I would think that the majority of people buying an iphone SE are doing it because they want a small phone with current specs, not because they can't afford a 6S. I'd be reluctant to recommend a 6 or 6+ to anyone though, given bendgate.
This isn't really reality with the way most people buy their phones. Samsung and LG are, by far, the highest selling Android manufacturers and their current/upcoming flagships are both starting at $700. HTC's run around there, too. You can point to Nexus and Moto as lower-cost flagships, but their sales models (direct-to-consumer/unlocked-only) aren't how most people in the US buy their phones, and their unit sales reflect that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

This isn't really reality with the way most people buy their phones. Samsung and LG are, by far, the highest selling Android manufacturers and their current/upcoming flagships are both starting at $700. HTC's run around there, too. You can point to Nexus and Moto as lower-cost flagships, but their sales models (direct-to-consumer/unlocked-only) aren't how most people in the US buy their phones, and their unit sales reflect that.

I'm not in the US so I can't comment there. In Australia a galaxy S7 is about $80 cheaper than a 64gb iphone 6s ($1228 vs 1148), a 6S plus costs $1379 (and I'd argue that's the more appropriate comparison given screen sizes). An LG G4 goes for $699 and an HTC is $799. The nexus 6P is $900 and and the 5X is around $580.

Even if you look at 24 month contract prices, (and most people here buy on contract as well, even though it's cheaper to buy outright, and get a sim only plan) you'll see (I'm using an optus as a common point of comparison, on their 6gb of data plan, so price differences reflect the cost per month of handset repayments)

Iphone 6S+ - $105/month
Iphone 6S - $98/month
Galaxy S7 - $85/month
LG G4 - $80/month
Nexus 6P - $80/month

If anything the difference on contract is even more pronounced.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How do Apple's leather cases stand up to workout activity? Like will it be cool to stuff it into an armband and go run in the heat. I don't sweat excessively but I guess that shouldn't even matter if the armband is decent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

How do Apple's leather cases stand up to workout activity? Like will it be cool to stuff it into an armband and go run in the heat. I don't sweat excessively but I guess that shouldn't even matter if the armband is decent.

I'd imagine sweat would penetrate leather - that sounds like it would get pretty disgusting. If I were you I'd buy a silicone case for when you work out and then switch the phone over into a leather case the rest of the time. Or just buy an iPod nano or something for workout music, having a big phone strapped to you while you run is kinda weird.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd imagine sweat would penetrate leather - that sounds like it would get pretty disgusting. If I were you I'd buy a silicone case for when you work out and then switch the phone over into a leather case the rest of the time. Or just buy an iPod nano or something for workout music, having a big phone strapped to you while you run is kinda weird.
Well I'll actually be keeping my old 5c around - I was thinking of using it for workouts but wasn't sure if that would be an excessive precaution. Sounds like it might be a good idea after all. Thanks!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Apple saddle brown leather case is actually the best workout case on the market.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

When I updated to 9.3 I started getting battery issues. When I open the camera and begin taking photos or video it drains the battery meter really fast, like it will show a loss of 30% in the space of two minutes. I took a video that was 4 minutes long and it went from 88% to 6%. When I plug the phone in the meter jumps to 40, then I unplugged and replugged and it jumped to 75, then again and it goes to 84. Same deal if I restart the phone it goes to where it should be.

Is this a known issue or should I take it in?

I have a launch day iPhone 6 btw.

I can't tell you for sure, but I have owned two iOS devices with batteries that failed. In both cases they behaved much like this, with huge drops in battery when anything placed a large draw on it. The camera was a common culprit for me, and would often zero a battery that was showing ~30% in moments.

Take it in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fourwood posted:

Lefty master race. :smug:

As someone with a 6s+ who is constantly annoyed with how hard it is to use one-handed, I only just now realize how much worse it would be if I was a righty.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple saddle brown leather case is actually the best workout case on the market.

If by "workout" you mean "child-loving," sicko

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Getting a black or midnight blue case will result in a fewer number of confused sexual orientation cases.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

dexter6 posted:

He finds the 6 comfortable, but even he finds the 6+ a little too big.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is the iPhone 6 prone to terrible antenna's coming with it? My girlfriend picked it up last month and it's had weak connections to both the WiFi in her house (even sitting right beside the router) and the cell service (taking forever to connect to Spotify, texts not being received until much later (tested this by sending a text and it didn't arrive for 20 minutes - we even had our phone right beside each others and I took a pic with her sisters showing nothing sent)).

We took it to Apple and the guy was hemming and hawing that it could be anything but I made sure to eliminate whatever I could: case / no case, environment (I bought a WiFi range extender, not for this, but to help in general and it still wasn't good), resetting the phone. Her 5 never had these issues nor does my 5S at her house. We are on different carriers but I messaged my friend and he wasn't having issues with his.

Unsure where to go with this right now - I was reading about others having issues with their 6 and poor reception. I might first try getting a new SIM but if it's loving up WiFi that won't fix it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Go back and make sure apple swaps the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
My company gave me an iPhone 6 for work-related stuff. The thing is that I keep receiving notifications for new e-mail or skype messages while I'm at work in front of my PC, so I wanted to ask: is there a way of "blocking" notifications for specific apps within a specific time interval? (i.e. when i'm working, I would like to receive these when I'm not in the office).