Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks, I'll look into that tonight! Does it remove from fur painlessly when the time comes? In the meantime I ordered a "Comfy Cone" with 1-day shipping for tomorrow, it appears to be 2 inches longer than his other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
When my idiot dog started chewing on his foot I put a sock on it then used 3M Vetwrap (you might be able to find it in Petsmart, if not its on Amazon) to hold it in place. It's self-adhering wrap designed to keep bandages in place on animal limbs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What's the real story on how long until you can take your pup for walks? This seems like a relatively new thing since the last time I had a puppy. The rescue is indicating that we can't put our pup on any ground aside from our own until after the fourth set of shots around the five month mark. Is this overkill? I understand not letting other dogs make out with my ten week pup but what's the real story goons?

This is the same woman that told others that when waiting for shots to be taken at one of their volunteers houses that the pup would have to pee IN the car and not on the grass.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's primarily due to not knowing what's really out there in your environment that your pup could be exposed to. Critters and other dogs may or may not be carrying a number of pathogens that your dog is still building up an immunity to.

That said, after the third round of shots, short walks would be okay. The more rural/wild your area, the longer you'll have to really wait. But suburbs and urban areas are full of their own problematic critters so just keep an eye out for wild animals and any reports of animal diseases running amok. (For instance, in my area, we've had a lot of skunks and distemper is running rampant through the population. If I had a puppy, I'd keep him indoors until he was fully vaccinated. When my current dog was a puppy, there was less of a threat and I had him outdoors on short walks after the third round.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It's a risk/reward type of situation. Ideally, you want your pup exposed to millions of new sights and sounds early on in their lives (and continuing throughout, but it's more important early on) so they learn to take the world in stride. However, when they're young they're at risk of contracting some pretty serious illnesses. So best case scenario is only to let your pup explore areas that haven't been visited by strange, unvaccinated dogs; only meet dogs that you know to be healthy; etc. Pick the pup up if you're in an area with lots of dog traffic (even if there aren't any dogs in the vicinity since viruses etc can linger in the environment).

Luckily in my area, we have a pretty healthy animal population so I'd be pretty interested in getting the pup out and socialized as much as possible. It's possible you may not be so fortunate in your area. Try to understand the risks & rewards and decide yourself.

The advice you've been given is pretty overkill, IMO, unless your area is a serious vector for disease.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for the feedback, my guess is that the rescue deals with A LOT of different people in various locations. They're based in Detroit. I'm in a pretty affluent suburb bordering on the country in a nice neighborhood with a good amount of (from an uneducated view) healthy dogs. We don't have any wild dogs or visitors coming around.

Will play it by ear and be cognizant of the area more. I'm thinking that a walk around the block probably won't be very harmful to her. Our lots are relatively small and open so not as if there's a place for critters to amass.

Thanks all.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
You might want to talk to the vet and see how prevalent parvo is in your area. That's one of the big ones that can kill puppies real quick and is extremely contagious.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

You might want to talk to the vet and see how prevalent parvo is in your area. That's one of the big ones that can kill puppies real quick and is extremely contagious.

Great call. Her appointment is next week. They'd have a good pulse on that. Our vet is very local.

Loli Worm
Jul 22, 2007

Apple Cars and Super Stars
a dog pees in front of my apartment pretty much every day. the super says its probably somebody that leaves their door open and the dog roams the stairwell. he promised to send a letter around but what can we do to repel the dog in case it doesn't work? My friend offered to lend me one of those high frequency motion sensor alarms but i don't know if that's the best option for leaving on the floor outside my apartment all day - i would set up a camera to find out who it was but it would probably get stolen

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
I recently rescued a five month old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, and man is he a big old baby. He loves people and kids, and if anyone comes within two feet of him, he'll flop over onto his back for belly rubs. He's a very quiet, lazy, and sweet puppy.

But he absolutely loses his poo poo if he sees or hears a dog. I can't actually tell if it's all sound and fury or if he truly wants to murder these dogs, but it sure feels like closer to the latter. He starts tugging on the leash with all his might and gets really worked up. The only thing I can do to stop it so far is to pick him up, which turns him into a pile of quietly complaining jello, but that sounds like the wrong thing to do and won't be an option for long. He's scheduled to be neutered next week (as required by the shelter). While I'm hoping that somehow mellows him out and makes him suddenly at peace with other dogs, I'm sure that's not going to be the case.

What can I do about this? :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the feedback, my guess is that the rescue deals with A LOT of different people in various locations. They're based in Detroit. I'm in a pretty affluent suburb bordering on the country in a nice neighborhood with a good amount of (from an uneducated view) healthy dogs. We don't have any wild dogs or visitors coming around.

Will play it by ear and be cognizant of the area more. I'm thinking that a walk around the block probably won't be very harmful to her. Our lots are relatively small and open so not as if there's a place for critters to amass.

Thanks all.

After the third round of shots my vet told me around the neighborhood is fine. Don't let her eat any poop or anything. Meeting dogs of family and friends that you know are healthy is fine. Avoid dog parks and beaches.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

TraderStav posted:

Thanks all.

As others mentioned, I would ask your vet about any poo poo running rampant in your area, especially parvo. In Seattle vets only did 3 rounds of the initial vacc's and then you were good to go, but we were a large metropolitan area so we didn't have to worry about wild life so much.

Loli Worm posted:

a dog pees in front of my apartment pretty much every day. the super says its probably somebody that leaves their door open and the dog roams the stairwell. he promised to send a letter around but what can we do to repel the dog in case it doesn't work? My friend offered to lend me one of those high frequency motion sensor alarms but i don't know if that's the best option for leaving on the floor outside my apartment all day - i would set up a camera to find out who it was but it would probably get stolen

This sucks rear end but have you tried treating the area with natures miracle or another enzyme killer? It may help.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

waffledoodle posted:

I recently rescued a five month old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, and man is he a big old baby. He loves people and kids, and if anyone comes within two feet of him, he'll flop over onto his back for belly rubs. He's a very quiet, lazy, and sweet puppy.

But he absolutely loses his poo poo if he sees or hears a dog. I can't actually tell if it's all sound and fury or if he truly wants to murder these dogs, but it sure feels like closer to the latter. He starts tugging on the leash with all his might and gets really worked up. The only thing I can do to stop it so far is to pick him up, which turns him into a pile of quietly complaining jello, but that sounds like the wrong thing to do and won't be an option for long. He's scheduled to be neutered next week (as required by the shelter). While I'm hoping that somehow mellows him out and makes him suddenly at peace with other dogs, I'm sure that's not going to be the case.

What can I do about this? :(

Management, management, management.

First, teach him a "look at me" command. Say his name (or use a short simple command like "look"), reward him for looking at you. Start at home, then slowly build up to working on it with distractions. In conjunction with this teach a good recall in the same way.

Second, teach him to heel to keep him close by your side since it's easier to get his attention when he's next to you instead of 6 feet in front of you.

Once you've got those down pretty good, if you're out somewhere and you see another dog in the distance immediately get his attention with your "look at me" command to get him focused on you and stuff him full of treats/play tug with him/whatever keeps him distracted until the other dog is gone. This might mean looking like a giant dork carrying around a bag of hot dogs or a tug toy with you on walks. Eventually (and I mean eventually, it can take a very long time, for us it took close to a year and a half) if he sees another dog he's gonna look to you instead of turning into a murder beast. He'll probably never be ok with just playing with other dogs but if you can take him out in public where there might be other dogs that's good enough.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Does my dog need more exercise? She just played fetch pretty hard for about 10 minutes and then flopped on my chest, panting and with her heart racing. How do I know if she's out of shape?

She's a 4yo Lhasa Apso and just came from a rescue about a week and a half ago.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

pookel posted:

Does my dog need more exercise? She just played fetch pretty hard for about 10 minutes and then flopped on my chest, panting and with her heart racing. How do I know if she's out of shape?

She's a 4yo Lhasa Apso and just came from a rescue about a week and a half ago.

I'm no dog expert, but I always see these kinds of posters at my vet's office: http://www.pet-slimmers.com/pet-obesity/how-to-tell-if-your-pet-is-overweight.aspx#showCard2

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Not familiar with the breed, but brachycephalic dogs can have more trouble breathing due to... Lots of things. Might want to consult your vet for a good exercise game plan and understanding of the dog's limits.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

cloudy posted:

Not familiar with the breed, but brachycephalic dogs can have more trouble breathing due to... Lots of things. Might want to consult your vet for a good exercise game plan and understanding of the dog's limits.

Oh, this is a good point, I hadn't thought of that. She hasn't been to the vet yet, so that's something to ask.

She's about a 5 on the chart above, I think. Not fat. But I do think her foster person spoiled her rotten - I know he had her eating table food and being held all day.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So it turns out I was triple wrong and Belle had a UTI all along. I've had her on antibiotics for close to a week, but she's still peeing in her crate in small amounts. Hopefully that will sort itself out soon, but I'm likely going to have to follow up with the vet.

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good dog life vest? She's taken to kayaking with me, but better safe than drowned.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Warbird posted:

So it turns out I was triple wrong and Belle had a UTI all along. I've had her on antibiotics for close to a week, but she's still peeing in her crate in small amounts. Hopefully that will sort itself out soon, but I'm likely going to have to follow up with the vet.

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good dog life vest? She's taken to kayaking with me, but better safe than drowned.

I like Hurtta's life jacket, if you can afford it. But the company is kind of ridiculously $$$. Outward Hound makes one too. Honestly, anything should keep your dog undrowned. Some many just be more comfortable than others.

In other news, I love my dog.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Pooch has some mad hops.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog got himself stuck in our office yesterday while being left alone. My wife went home for lunch to check on him and he was fine when she left so somewhere between then and when wet got home from work he got stuck. He went into the office (door was closed but he can open the handle and push the door in) and it must have shut behind him locking him in. While he knows how to open the handles and push, he can't pull the door open to get out.

He destroyed 4 pairs of my wife's shoes, a can of black shoe polish that made it onto every surface of the room (carpet, walls, blinds, my computer screen) and chewed up the rod that opens and closes the blinds. I felt so bad when we came home, wasn't really upset at him, he got stuck in a room. He never really gets into anything so I assume it was mostly out of fear and boredom that he went nuts. It honestly scared me more to come home and not have him immediately greet us at the door. Then to go upstairs and not see him in our bedroom.

We've figured out a way to prop all the doors open and locked the bathrooms from the outside so we're hoping today goes differently. I placed a frozen Kong and a few treats around the house for him to find and hopefully it will keep him occupied for a little bit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Verman posted:

My dog got himself stuck in our office yesterday while being left alone. My wife went home for lunch to check on him and he was fine when she left so somewhere between then and when wet got home from work he got stuck. He went into the office (door was closed but he can open the handle and push the door in) and it must have shut behind him locking him in. While he knows how to open the handles and push, he can't pull the door open to get out.

He destroyed 4 pairs of my wife's shoes, a can of black shoe polish that made it onto every surface of the room (carpet, walls, blinds, my computer screen) and chewed up the rod that opens and closes the blinds. I felt so bad when we came home, wasn't really upset at him, he got stuck in a room. He never really gets into anything so I assume it was mostly out of fear and boredom that he went nuts. It honestly scared me more to come home and not have him immediately greet us at the door. Then to go upstairs and not see him in our bedroom.

We've figured out a way to prop all the doors open and locked the bathrooms from the outside so we're hoping today goes differently. I placed a frozen Kong and a few treats around the house for him to find and hopefully it will keep him occupied for a little bit.

this is why my little monsters live in a crate while im at work

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

a life less posted:

In other news, I love my dog.

Holy poo poo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
What do you do with a pup that seems to prefer the taste of poo poo to treats?

It's honestly a little confusing. My wife and I have offices that are connected by a hallway and we usually give her free rein between them, and we have a pair of those faux-grass pads set up with one in each office. She uses them to pee on 100% of the time with no issue, and most of the time she'll poop on them-- even if we're not looking directly at her at the time, she'll bark and get our attention as a "Hey, look what I did, give me liver!"

But for some reason, every once in a while, she'll just run into the hallway (presumably to get out of line of sight of both of us), take a nice big dump, and then eat as much of it as she can before one or both of us finds her out. It's just really confusing-- I don't think it's boredom because we definitely run her ragged, it's not hunger because she's getting plenty of food and treats...she gets positive reinforcement treats for making GBS threads in the right spot and leaving it alone, and she gets positive punishment (she really doesn't like having her teeth brushed) when we find she's eating it. After it happens we restrict her to one office or the other, she doesn't poop anywhere that's not the pad, and we're good for another day or two until it happens again.

We're using capsaicin pills already, but short of "leaving her poop unscooped and spraying it with bitter", I'm not sure how to get across the "don't eat your poop" thing. I wouldn't even mind the occasionally hallway accident if she didn't immediately try to chow down on it. I don't think it's "Don't let anyone find out I pooped", either, because if we leave an office unattended at the wrong time then she'll head straight for it, poop on the grass pad, and have herself a snack anyways.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Is there a reason your dog can't poo poo outside? The best way to keep her from practicing this behavior would be to have her poo poo on leash outdoors and then immediately remove her and clean it up.

Some dogs get really into eating poo for some reason and managing their access to it is the only real way of dealing with it.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
why is your dog making GBS threads in the house you weirdo its not a cat

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

this is why my little monsters live in a crate while im at work

For starters we used to keep him in a crate when we brought him home as a puppy. We followed everything in crate training by the book. He just never really took to it. We tried to stick to with it but after 3 weeks of crying and thrashing we tried to start over at a slower pace. We reintroduced him to it at a much slower pace, feeding him in there etc. He would tolerate it but just never accepted it as "home". Once he was around 6 months, we started leaving him for short periods of time without much issue, and slowly built up more time. We would come home to a puddle in front of the crate, bent bars and literally anything that was left in the crate was destroyed. Sheets on top didn't help, music/heartbeat noise didn't help, you name it we tried it. Once he actually managed to escape his wire crate. We have no idea how but he was laying upstairs in our bedroom when we got home.

One night a few weeks ago we decided to try leaving him out just to see how it went. He was 7 months by this point. We came home and he was in the same spot as when we left, curled up sleeping. The next time, same thing and on and on.

We just got him fixed last week so he's wearing a cone of shame to prevent getting to his stitches which also means he can't go in his crate. Since he had surgery he can't go to doggy day care while we're at work so we have a friend stop over and spend an hour with him, walk him, etc during the week which seems to do the trick.

He just happened to have locked himself in our office and freaked out which I don't blame him for. We fixed the doors so they won't accidently close anymore. It's not uncommon for his breed to have separation anxiety so it's not surprising to see this behavior. For the most part it's not too extreme, like my friends weimaraner who jumps through their living room window on a frequent basis and eats their bathroom door just not to be alone. It also chewed through a wood fence when they went around to the front yard without him.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ausrotten posted:

why is your dog making GBS threads in the house you weirdo its not a cat

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Is there a reason your dog can't poo poo outside? The best way to keep her from practicing this behavior would be to have her poo poo on leash outdoors and then immediately remove her and clean it up.

Some dogs get really into eating poo for some reason and managing their access to it is the only real way of dealing with it.

Ironically enough, because of this just upthread:

Ausrotten posted:

We live in a fairly wild area and I've more than once strays running around my backyard after having dug under the fence-- the area beyond the fence is random unoccupied fields. Additionally, the rescuer we adopted from is local, and was stressing very hard that parvo was prevalent and she had lost several pups to it around here, to the point where she recommended doing clinic vaccinations instead of going to a vet until we were up-to-date. Until she's fully vaccinated (which won't be for awhile yet), I'm really paranoid about having her run around the yard. The secondary reason is I'd like to get her used to a grass pad just in general, so that when a day inevitably comes that I have to make a 4-hour round trip commute to work and put her in a room for 12 hours, she'll be making GBS threads on the pad instead of up the walls (but not eating it would be a bonus).

Also worth noting is that she's a tiny-rear end terrier/pug mix, so it's not like I've got a pet dropping elephant shits all over the place.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
your dog is probably not gonna die of parvo in your backyard dude

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
Are you seriously letting your dog poo poo in the house because youre afriad of parvo

s e r i o u s l y

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I'm letting my dog pee and poop in my house internet, why is it pooping in my house????

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
seriously not letting your dog outside until its 6 months old and done with all its shots is fuckin insanity and also is gonna gently caress it up real nice

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

You get your dog a combo vaccine ever? You are fine bro.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Once in a while if I let my dog out without watching her when she comes back in she tries to lick my face with poo breath because she ate a poo snack outside. I hate that.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
if your backyard IS riddled with parvo your dogs probs gonna die anyways if you go out there literally ever because welp it lives forever and can be tracked in on your shoes :)

take precautions dont go full retard

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
What can I say, I was trusting the rescue lady when she said "don't let her outside (not 'with other dogs', literally "you said you had a backyard, I wouldn't let her run around in it") before she's had her full course of parvo vaccines" and made it sound like it was bug-bite transmitted v:shobon:v

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
protip: never trust rescue ladies about anything

e: parvo's transmitted through the poo poo of infected animals, what makes it scary is that it can live on inanimate objects for a really long time. you're fine to take her in your yard duder

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 31, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Walk dog for 45 minutes, comes in the house with more energy than before we left.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Welcome to herding breeds

God help us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After 6 days, she is walking pretty well though. It takes about a block for her to settle down and stop pulling, but I really have to keep up the pace.