Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I may need to stop playing this for a while.

Just this nasty losing streak, where I lose with champions with whom I have a ton of experience, and then when I pick someone I've never really played (here, Trynd jungle), I win 3-4 games in a row.

It really just makes me feel like it does not really matter. Why can I play champions I have no experience with and win 4-5 straight, and play things where I have 50+ games and lose five in a row?

The game is actually making me mentally tired at this point. I start playing it, and wonder if I'll get the team that has died 10 times in the first 8 minutes (and then blames it on not getting ganks), or the team that has someone who just stomps the poo poo out of the opposing team.

I feel like I have no agency in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Same

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I lost 11 games in a row about a week ago and dropped down a division. Everyone has been there. The best thing to do is play a ton of normals with random champs (Anivia or Galio support or something) and reset your system.

Switch up your runes and masteries on whatever champ you like maining to get a different feel of it and then play it a few times in normals to get a feel of your new strengths

Everyone has those streaks

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also I was able to find a bonafide EUW challenger coach who watched and went some of my ranked games and gave me a ton of advice and suggestions on how to clean up my games and it really helped a lot

Coaching works and you can find people who are experienced who will do it for free

Hell I'll watch your games and tell you what you're doing wrong if you want me to

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Kashuno posted:

huh. Could've sworn at some point his Q definitely proc'd on hit effects.

God, I wish. Iceborn Gauntlet Urgot would be the poo poo.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

feeling like you have little agency in the game probably implies you're around the correct mmr while other players that are under or over rated will have a greater influence on the outcome of the game

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I have won 11 ranked games in a row and I am terrible. Streaks happen. It's very frustrating when you're on the losing side of one, though.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Riven giving up first blood to a ranged champ

The cycle of life and death continues

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

Also I was able to find a bonafide EUW challenger coach who watched and went some of my ranked games and gave me a ton of advice and suggestions on how to clean up my games and it really helped a lot

Coaching works and you can find people who are experienced who will do it for free

Hell I'll watch your games and tell you what you're doing wrong if you want me to

I don't think is much worth watching my ranked games. I finished in Silver the last couple of seasons, and am struggling in Bronze now. Coaching would help, but I think there are more productive things for the coaches to be doing with their time. :-)

Sexpansion posted:

I have won 11 ranked games in a row and I am terrible. Streaks happen. It's very frustrating when you're on the losing side of one, though.

Yeah, and it depends on how you lose them. I don't mind losing close games (they tear your heart out a little bit, but they're competitive and often almost as fun to lose as they are to win).

It's just when you get the hammer blows of 3-4 games in a row where your team is down 10 kills 10 minutes in that it just starts to feel pointless. It just starts to feel like you're just wasting your time.

Perhaps part of that is it as well. The game, honestly, is long for what it is. A lot of RTS and other types of games, you lose and you quickly move on. In Leauge, adding together the wait time for the game to start, champ banning and selection, load time, etc., you're honestly looking at 45 minutes to an hour for a lot of games. So you're playing 2-3 games a night at most maybe, if you're a working adult. And you probably have some other things going on, where you're not playing every night. So a 10 game losing streak just feels like a week long stretch where every time you sit down for some entertainment, you get kneecapped for week or two.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just post a video or replay and I'll review it tomorrow dude, I'd honestly like to try it out yelling at people about League of Legends

http://www.replay.gg/ or twitch or something

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I have played Lux a couple times since the patch came out and I honestly didn't notice much of a difference, but her win rate dropped significantly:

Maybe she won't get banned anymore! That would be really nice.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

You deserve to lose after not getting a sweeper in 40 minutes versus a twitch, especially as the jungler

Just saying

Yeah, I'm not saying I played anywhere near perfectly but we could have won the game in 25 minutes and sweeper wouldn't have been necessary. Instead Zed spent 25 minutes roaming to 1v1 and 1v2 people instead of pushing towers with Poppy and me, Jhin spent the entire game doing gently caress all, and Karma was useless in every team fight.

Granted I'm bronze and playing ranked for the first time ever so I'm going to be lovely, but it's disheartening to have people shittier than me in my games. We couldn't even communicate with Jhin. We spent 3 minutes in champ select reminding him to change his summoners to no avail, then spent the entire game asking him what he was doing in chat and with pings and never got a single response. Lulu had a worse statline but was at least present during team fights and used her ult pretty well.

e: What I'm getting at is this was my first real experience with one of those "games you cannot win" situations.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

it's disheartening to have people shittier than me in my games.

i think you're gonna spend a lot of time being disheartened

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Okay, help me out here.

What the flub did they do to Graves? He tanks more than most "proper tanks" but also deals enough damage to do whatever he wants. What gives???

Most games I see him in he just appears from nowhere after having farmed on top, and then that's it. You can't kill him but he sure as hell can kill you, and your friends too probably.

Also they seriously haven't done anything to Akali? The fucker towerdives me (around level 6) with nothing but the cinder armor thing that goes to sunfire cape and I had a good 800+ health and around 60/70 armor and magic resist. I mean, she had zero AP and about 100+ normal damage. What the gently caress is going on here?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

Just post a video or replay and I'll review it tomorrow dude, I'd honestly like to try it out yelling at people about League of Legends

http://www.replay.gg/ or twitch or something

I'm just saying you may be disappointed with the results. I am the guy who has been back and forth here in the past about my inability to execute on things. I know a lot of the things I do wrong. It's actually fixing them in a game that's the problem.

For example, I know I constantly forget to use item abilities. I'll be hosed if I can somehow make myself consistently remember to do it in a teamfight. I go in with good intentions, I can literally tell myself, "Remember to use your loving BotRK ability this time."

Then the teamfight happens, it's like I go on autopilot muscle memory, a blackout period occurs, and sure enough, there is BotRK unused after the fight.

I may actually be retarded or something, I don't know.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

SlyFrog posted:

I'm just saying you may be disappointed with the results. I am the guy who has been back and forth here in the past about my inability to execute on things. I know a lot of the things I do wrong. It's actually fixing them in a game that's the problem.

For example, I know I constantly forget to use item abilities. I'll be hosed if I can somehow make myself consistently remember to do it in a teamfight. I go in with good intentions, I can literally tell myself, "Remember to use your loving BotRK ability this time."

Then the teamfight happens, it's like I go on autopilot muscle memory, a blackout period occurs, and sure enough, there is BotRK unused after the fight.

How many champions do you play in ranked? I think most people's problems, especially in lower elo, can be solved by concentrating on two or three core champions and playing them pretty much exclusively. Get really good at one or two champions and you will start carrying. It will also allow you to learn macro level things about the game faster because you will be more comfortable on your champion, allowing you to focus on other areas of the game, like map awareness, using item actives, gauging the relative strength/weaknesses of your current position in the game, etc.

Edit: I've played this game on and off since season 2 and I only have 8 champions played in ranked this season, and honestly one of those was a in game where I didn't care at all if I won or lost and was just for fun.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 28, 2016

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Gortarius posted:

Okay, help me out here.

What the flub did they do to Graves? He tanks more than most "proper tanks" but also deals enough damage to do whatever he wants. What gives???

Most games I see him in he just appears from nowhere after having farmed on top, and then that's it. You can't kill him but he sure as hell can kill you, and your friends too probably.

Also they seriously haven't done anything to Akali? The fucker towerdives me (around level 6) with nothing but the cinder armor thing that goes to sunfire cape and I had a good 800+ health and around 60/70 armor and magic resist. I mean, she had zero AP and about 100+ normal damage. What the gently caress is going on here?

Graves gets super tanky from his E (I think) and a good player can keep the uptime going really well. They were looking to change it so it's a one-off 2s duration but for some reason they reverted that. I haven't played Akali in a long time so I have no idea there.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Humalong posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying I played anywhere near perfectly but we could have won the game in 25 minutes and sweeper wouldn't have been necessary. Instead Zed spent 25 minutes roaming to 1v1 and 1v2 people instead of pushing towers with Poppy and me, Jhin spent the entire game doing gently caress all, and Karma was useless in every team fight.

Granted I'm bronze and playing ranked for the first time ever so I'm going to be lovely, but it's disheartening to have people shittier than me in my games. We couldn't even communicate with Jhin. We spent 3 minutes in champ select reminding him to change his summoners to no avail, then spent the entire game asking him what he was doing in chat and with pings and never got a single response. Lulu had a worse statline but was at least present during team fights and used her ult pretty well.

e: What I'm getting at is this was my first real experience with one of those "games you cannot win" situations.

At garbage elo, you singlehandedly win games by carrying your braindead teammates kicking and screaming. As you get higher, they become more like teenagers, who for the most part can look after themselves but occasionally gently caress up massively and you still have to take care of them.

Let's say you play 5 games. 2 out of the 5 games you have someone on your team with some sense who can carry everyone, including you. The other 3 games are the ones where you have to go the extra mile and poo poo on the enemy team so hard that your fuckhead zombie idiot teammates can mash their buttons hard like spazzers and still win the game. If you can carry even 1 of those 3 games, you'll rank up.

or just watch this video and realize why everything you just said is probably a complete waste of time to talk about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHEbd3fA2c

edit: Also sweeper is always necessary on first back as a jungler :wtc: doesn't matter how long the game goes on, whether you win it in 10 minutes or 50 minutes

SlyFrog posted:

Oh okay well if you actually don't want to get better then don't waste anyone's time :smugdon:

I mean I generally try to do my best in in most things I do and you'd be surprised how many people in Diamond make mistakes that are Hydrogen V-tier

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 28, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
How viable is twisted fate at low elo? I really enjoy him a lot

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kashuno posted:

He's really good if you can manage your mana and gold cards really well, and if you have good map awareness you can ult to places for gangbangs.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Completely broken as long as your teammates know what they're doing

At higher elo everyone just backs off and drops cs until TF shows back up midlane

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I've got to say that I think the general LoL community gets too much poo poo for toxicity. I mean, I tried out my first game of Rammus top today and the enemy team ever so kindly locked in Kindred and Yasuo after I first picked.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Every champion is viable. Twisted Fate is good. Camp a lane with your ult on cooldown, collect kills.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

AHH FUGH posted:

At garbage elo, you singlehandedly win games by carrying your braindead teammates kicking and screaming. As you get higher, they become more like teenagers, who for the most part can look after themselves but occasionally gently caress up massively and you still have to take care of them.

Let's say you play 5 games. 2 out of the 5 games you have someone on your team with some sense who can carry everyone, including you. The other 3 games are the ones where you have to go the extra mile and poo poo on the enemy team so hard that your fuckhead zombie idiot teammates can mash their buttons hard like spazzers and still win the game. If you can carry even 1 of those 3 games, you'll rank up.

or just watch this video and realize why everything you just said is probably a complete waste of time to talk about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHEbd3fA2c

edit: Also sweeper is always necessary on first back as a jungler :wtc: doesn't matter how long the game goes on, whether you win it in 10 minutes or 50 minutes

Oh okay well if you actually don't want to get better then don't waste anyone's time :smugdon:

I mean I generally try to do my best in in most things I do and you'd be surprised how many people in Diamond make mistakes that are Hydrogen V-tier

I completely understand that. I'm garbage so I'm going to play with garbage. If you're willing to offer me the same opportunity you gave that other dude and watch some of my replays, that would be awesome. I have a list like 10 pages long of things I can improve on, buying sweeper is just another addition to it. http://www.replay.gg/search/na/Swankykong

e: My champions I tend to focus on are Trundle, Volibear, Amumu, and maybe Sejuani. I have no idea how to lane.
e2: You'll even notice I tried to fix my lack of sweeper! But I'm still poo poo so it didn't matter much.

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mr. Humalong posted:

e: My champions I tend to focus on are Trundle, Volibear, Amumu, and maybe Sejuani. I have no idea how to lane.

Those are good champions. Focus on playing just one of them unless it's taken/banned away, then if you have to play one of the others.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

"Not like that" would be my first guess.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Agree that playing too many champions is definitely the easiest mistake to make in this game if you care about improving/climbing. I fall victim to it all the time myself, it's easy to watch some streamer crushing with a new build or read some emphatic post in this thread about how Champion X is secret OP right now and then go and play a couple mediocre games with it in ranked and then next thing you know you have 40 champions played on the season and you're not particularly good at any of them.

If you really want to tryhard climb you should have a default pick for each of your 2 roles, and then 1-2 backup picks for when your main pick has a bad matchup or is out of place in the teamcomp. You can reevaluate and rotate your picks over time as patches change things but it's really rare for a champ to become truly unplayable or truly must-pick in low elo solo queue so you should make sure you're switching it up for your own enjoyment and not just based on hype.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Humalong posted:

I completely understand that. I'm garbage so I'm going to play with garbage. If you're willing to offer me the same opportunity you gave that other dude and watch some of my replays, that would be awesome. I have a list like 10 pages long of things I can improve on, buying sweeper is just another addition to it. http://www.replay.gg/search/na/Swankykong

e2: You'll even notice I tried to fix my lack of sweeper! But I'm still poo poo so it didn't matter much.

I'll do it tomorrow on my stream and then I'll post a YouTube here

Which champ do you want to main/spam games with? It looks like Volibear is your best champion. Whatever champ you want me to review, you should play a ranked game with them ASAP so I can review something from this patch.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

How many champions do you play in ranked? I think most people's problems, especially in lower elo, can be solved by concentrating on two or three core champions and playing them pretty much exclusively. Get really good at one or two champions and you will start carrying. It will also allow you to learn macro level things about the game faster because you will be more comfortable on your champion, allowing you to focus on other areas of the game, like map awareness, using item actives, gauging the relative strength/weaknesses of your current position in the game, etc.

Edit: I've played this game on and off since season 2 and I only have 8 champions played in ranked this season, and honestly one of those was a in game where I didn't care at all if I won or lost and was just for fun.

I've tried that - that's probably part of what has been frustrating me. I've been trying to play Yi jungle heavily this season. I know, I know, the generic pick for 12 year old power fantasies, but I figured why not, and try to play him religiously. Over 22 games, I have a 45% winrate. It had been higher, and took a nosedive lately. I've lost 6 out of my last 7 games with him, and lost 10 out of my last 15.

So for a change of pace, I play 3 games of Trynd over the weekend, and win all three.

Now all jokes about being retarded aside, I am not a complete idiot. I know the 3 games with Trynd is way too small a sample, and just a statistical anomaly. But damned if it still is not irritating to not be able to win a game with your "main," and then win 3 out of 3 loving around with someone you haven't played in a few years (and did not play that much even back then).

I'm sure this is just a phase, and I'll be back to smacking my head into the wall soon enough. And I know I should main Amumu or something, but I don't wanna. drat it, for once I want to play the cool slashy guy, instead of dutifully playing the supporty/meatshield guy.

Maybe I'll just give up and play Amumu.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

SlyFrog posted:

Yi is not bad but he requires a decent amount of games to be good with him. I think it's fine to main whatever you want, you just have to accept that it's harder to be good at some champs than others. How are you building Yi? I highly recommend something like this:

Also, watch some good Yi players on youtube. There are a lot of tricks to Yi, like using his W as an auto-attack reset, etc. Stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgr1bbxSnis

e2: god help me but nightblue is actually not a bad master yi player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SohzhE10dc

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 28, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Trynd is a god tier at low elo because you could all see him on the map as being top lane splitting, but once he wipes out the minion wave and his icon disappear from the mini map, they will forget that he is even there.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I just got super tilted by a Heimerdinger. So loving annoying with no counterplay. God forbid you're an ap champion where the popular thing on donger is to get Banner of Command. Can't do jack poo poo.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

drat it, for once I want to play the cool slashy guy, instead of dutifully playing the supporty/meatshield guy.

Keep in mind, the reason this works so well is because people refuse to do this, especially in solo queue. Unless you're way better than your opponents mechanically, you aren't going to win with yi, talon mid, and a top assassin if the enemy team decided to get tanks like malphite and amumu.

That's not to say you can't win with yi, it's just that most people playing alone or in a duo in low elo want to be the late game slashy guy. So the 1 guy in 10 who decides to play the tanky bruiser will more than likely win.

Granted I main Elise, fizz and rumble jungle so ymmv

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

lucifirius posted:

I just got super tilted by a Heimerdinger. So loving annoying with no counterplay. God forbid you're an ap champion where the popular thing on donger is to get Banner of Command. Can't do jack poo poo.

Play Sion, kick away his toys.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If anyone wants to play ranked with me in about 10m add Grumblebee in game, I still haven't done my placements loll

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

lucifirius posted:

There's a build featured on the front page of reddit right now that rushes banner, zztop, and rylais. Haven't played against it yet, but wouldn't someone like graves or quinn shut him down before heimer gets too out of hand?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

jinpachistar posted:

There's a build featured on the front page of reddit right now that rushes banner, zztop, and rylais. Haven't played against it yet, but wouldn't someone like graves or quinn shut him down before heimer gets too out of hand?

Yeah I saw that, but I firstpicked Swain top. Then he went donger. Next game I go donger, he picks Nasus and goes the build that was shown on reddit as well. 800 stacks at 30 minutes, and I didn't even get zzrot until late game. We won that one though when Shaco and I backdoored.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

SlyFrog posted:

Go for a Runic Echoes --> Abbysal start and you can transition to tank but still poo poo out damage early. Yi is ok, but if Riot keeps nerfing his tankier builds imo he'll get less and less reliable. Amumu, otoh, is probably just going to sit near the top of solo queue win rates forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Yi is not bad but he requires a decent amount of games to be good with him. I think it's fine to main whatever you want, you just have to accept that it's harder to be good at some champs than others. How are you building Yi? I highly recommend something like this:

Also, watch some good Yi players on youtube. There are a lot of tricks to Yi, like using his W as an auto-attack reset, etc. Stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgr1bbxSnis

e2: god help me but nightblue is actually not a bad master yi player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SohzhE10dc

That had been almost exactly my build, but the nerf/change to E made me go with an extra damage item (typically Devourer, Guinsoo, BotRK).

I will admit, I mostly ripped such things off of the high win builds sections of things like champion.gg and op.gg.

• Locked thread