Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Josh Lyman posted:

All these 150k salaries make me sad that I did CompE instead CompSci.

I remember, a CS friend of mine got hired out of undergrad with at Apple for 80k or 85k in 2008 and I thought that was above average.

Work with medical devices. Compe's are making as much as pure CS in Minneapolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ccs posted:

BTW how many people in the Valley believe in the whole "singularity" thing? A friend works on the same campus as "Singularity University" and says those people are really intense. Is there really a good chance that by 2045 we'll have human or beyond human-level AI?

Probably a small but significant minority among the people who want to ~change the world~ with ~tech~ instead of seeing it as a well paying job. Basically look at the corporate donors list of the singularity university/miri, look up which big SV company guys have made noises about the impending singularity and/or AI uprising (this includes people like Elon Musk).

There may or may not be AI advanced enough that everyone considers it strong, but I'd be surprised if the people currently ripping off google/spacex/whatever for funbux will be more than a footnote given that they're mostly worshipping at the feet of self-described technomessiah (read: nut) Elizer Yudkowsky.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

An interesting side effect of the wage growth in tech is the hoovering up of junior talent from "elite" industries.
Finance and consulting firms have had to not just bump up pay but also had to, or at least pretend to, improve work-life balance.

Why kill yourself working 80 hour weeks in IB making 130-140 total comp as a fresh grad when you could be having a much better lifestyle in SV with better pay.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

shrike82 posted:

An interesting side effect of the wage growth in tech is the hoovering up of junior talent from "elite" industries.
Finance and consulting firms have had to not just bump up pay but also had to, or at least pretend to, improve work-life balance.

Why kill yourself working 80 hour weeks in IB making 130-140 total comp as a fresh grad when you could be having a much better lifestyle in SV with better pay.

Accenture blew up analyst pay this year with 80k starting, but then you'd be working for Accenture. MBB was quick to match though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shrike82 posted:

Extravagantly-paid developers are also expected to work 80-hour weeks.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

the talent deficit posted:

i showed up for work at my dotcom v1.0 job to find an office stripped of furnishing. my manager was at his desk but no one else was. he told me if i wanted an aeron or a printer i had better grab one before my badge stopped working later that day. i wish i had kept the aeron and the ibm laptop i liberated

Did it look like this? This picture from the WTC has always been my favorite. Literally a bygone era.

Hopefully we see a repeat soon.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reagan posted:

Did it look like this? This picture from the WTC has always been my favorite. Literally a bygone era.

Hopefully we see a repeat soon.

That equivalent scene in The Big Short was pretty cool.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Extravagantly-paid developers are also expected to work 80-hour weeks.

Really? My friends at places at Google, FB etc. typically do 50-60 hours.
When I say 80 for IB, I mean not for crunch but every week.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

During dot-com, I was once on a cross-country airplane trip to meet my new employers when I opened the New York Times to read that the company had just been merged with another company. Good times, good times.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, 80 at FB would be very unusual.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember, a CS friend of mine got hired out of undergrad with at Apple for 80k or 85k in 2008 and I thought that was above average.

It was. I was hired by Google for $85k also in 2008 (before the start of the Great Recession), and I'm still extremely grateful for it. There was litigation about those wages being too low; both your friend and I got paid from this litigation (not much compared to today's salaries, but something).

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, 80 at FB would be very unusual.

At Google too. I worked about 50 hours last week, between 9-10 hours each day and 3-4 hours on Sunday.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Oh, okay. Sorry about that, I misinterpreted completely.

Sick to death of reading about Bitcoin? Have I got a deal for you! New, improved Ethereum!

quote:

A new virtual gold rush is underway.

Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.

Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.

The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.

The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.

Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.

But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.

The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
It. mine. :bang: For those of you who feel that it's not sufficient just having the infrastructure itself be a Ponzi scheme, have we got a platform for you!

quote:

“Bitcoin presented the broad strokes vision, and Ethereum presented the crystallization of how to deliver that vision,” [a co-developer of the software] said.

Joseph Bonneau, a computer science researcher at Stanford who studies so-called crypto-currencies, said Ethereum was the first system that had really caught his interest since Bitcoin.

It is far from a sure thing, he cautioned.

“Bitcoin is still probably the safest bet, but Ethereum is certainly No. 2, and some folks will say it is more likely to be around in 10 years,” Mr. Bonneau said. “It will depend if any real markets develop around it. If there is some actual application.”
Any time "Bitcoin is the safest bet", you should be very afraid. Feel free to enlighten my ignorance. I think digital currency is a good thing, but I think a digital currency in which money is created and backed by CPU cycles isn't long-term viable.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

Whether it's bubble-driven or not, you have to wonder whether devs are being paid what they should and other white-collar jobs are being grossly underpaid. I don't see how a millennial making 40-50K in a major city can afford the standard milestones of middle class life - home ownership, healthcare without worry, kids, retirement savings etc.

Independent of productivity and other cocnerns, yes devs are paid an actual middle-class wage and yes other millennial white-collars are being vastly underpaid. Related to productivity, both groups are probably very underpaid but that's a topic for another thread.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I usually just work 40 hours a week at Google including lunch. I do work some overtime prior to major releases though. Most people I see seem to have a similar work-life balance.

At Amazon I usually did 40 hours a week too, same for most of my co-workers.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Cicero posted:

I usually just work 40 hours a week at Google including lunch. I do work some overtime prior to major releases though. Most people I see seem to have a similar work-life balance.

At Amazon I usually did 40 hours a week too, same for most of my co-workers.

Yeah, the more mature firms are seeing less value in overworking their entire staff, although at Amazon my team was put on 2 consecutive deathmarches that required 80+ weeks for 3 months.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

archangelwar posted:

Yeah, the more mature firms are seeing less value in overworking their entire staff, although at Amazon my team was put on 2 consecutive deathmarches that required 80+ weeks for 3 months.

Unless the work is on a project/product that's my very own baby, no amount of money in the world is enough to make me work back-to-back 80h weeks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
On the other hand I got those scissors I ordered on time, so thanks for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

Unless the work is on a project/product that's my very own baby, no amount of money in the world is enough to make me work back-to-back 80h weeks.

Shows how unAmerican you are. :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

No, this is not an Onion video. :smithicide:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

France actually takes most of July off and maybe a bit of August, not the entire August. Typical American ignorance of the world. :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good thing I don't work in America :smugdog:, and holy poo poo that's an ad corporate workforce indoctrination video straight from some second rate dystopian sci fi.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Evil Robot posted:

It was. I was hired by Google for $85k also in 2008 (before the start of the Great Recession), and I'm still extremely grateful for it. There was litigation about those wages being too low; both your friend and I got paid from this litigation (not much compared to today's salaries, but something).

I knew I should have majored in CompSci

Stupid chemistry degree

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Stupid French people and having the time to actually enjoy that pool and house and kids and car!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Charlie Mopps posted:

Stupid French people and having the time to actually enjoy that pool and house and kids and car!

In America it isn't about enjoying anything it's about having it. If I have a Benz and a $600,000 house while you have a Toyota and live in an apartment I am better than you. That's all that matters; if I need to work 80 hours a week all year every year to get that then it Is Worth It because it means I'm better than most Americans.

Granted I'm probably also miserable and have an addiction to feed because of the stress but thems the breaks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Evil Robot posted:

It was enough to cover property taxes, so I'm not complainin'. As a matter of principle, I thought the blatant conspiracy was loathsome and rightly prosecuted; as a practical matter I never had any intention of leaving at the time, so the collusion didn't affect me. Theoretically it lowered my starting wage, but at the time I thought my starting wage was ridiculously high to begin with.

e: The very last deathmarch I did was a book that had to be written in sixty days, about a brand-new flagship product that began its life undefined, that continually changed en-route, and whose engineer could not be forced to review drafts because the engineering was so far behind. I was pulling 80-hour weeks on that one, working through multiple migraines, then it shipped (as an utter failure) and I collapsed.

After that I learned that 10-hour days made me stupid, and that the mistakes I made late in the day and the evening cost a lot of effort to undo the next morning. That was also the first big dent in my childish "I love my company, therefore I will give it what it needs, no matter what the cost."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 28, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've met enough European expats working in the US/UK to sense that the continental European model for work isn't always better. This presumes of course that you're a professional who doesn't have to worry about welfare or healthcare costs.

Given the disparities in gross pay and income tax levels, we could be talking about a 50% differential in take-home pay. It's up to you to decide whether that's worth shorter work-weeks and significantly more vacation days.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

blowfish posted:

This is why my career at Amazon lasted little more than 3 months. 2 back-to-back death marches, an experience that corresponds textbook with the NYT exposé, combined with being mislead concerning the position, team, and the work... I will honestly say that my experience should not be representative but it obviously happened to a few people or the NYT story would not have been a thing; there is only 1 remaining member of the original 8 people hired in to work in that specific group.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Given the disparities in gross pay and income tax levels, we could be talking about a 50% differential in take-home pay. It's up to you to decide whether that's worth shorter work-weeks and significantly more vacation days.

Hell yeah it is, especially considering the cost of living is lower in most areas that are not Greater London so you get more mileage out of those 50%. For instance, anything over $1500/month for a whole-family apartment or over $700/month for a 1-2 person apartment would be outrageously overpriced and better come with gold plating where I live (realistically, $1000 and $400 even in town).
e: this is vs a mean per capita income of €20000/about $22000 after tax, with techies probably getting about twice that on average.

If I want to work myself to death for more money I can still work for a European investment bank (where you'd often be laughed out of the office for going home once you hit the legal maximum overtime).

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 28, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Having lived in NYC and being a current resident of London, it's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be. If you have a family, you could always get a place in NJ for relatively reasonable rates. And if you're a DINK, you make more and spend less in Manhattan relative to London proper.

And if you're talking about moving to another UK city entirely, the white-collar jobs may not be there and even if they are, there's another 30-50% pay cut.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Having lived in NYC and being a current resident of London, it's not as clear cut as you're making it out to be. If you have a family, you could always get a place in NJ for relatively reasonable rates. And if you're a DINK, you make more and spend less in Manhattan relative to London proper.

And if you're talking about moving to another UK city entirely, the white-collar jobs may not be there and even if they are, there's another 30-50% pay cut.

Yeah the UK is poo poo because it tries to be America, jr. and also prides itself on high paid workers working day and night, but strong continental economies (France or Austria sort of, but mostly Germany) have lower costs of living. Switzerland is nice, too, though its higher wages are offset by its higher living costs again.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, okay. Sorry about that, I misinterpreted completely.

Sick to death of reading about Bitcoin? Have I got a deal for you! New, improved Ethereum!

It. mine. :bang: For those of you who feel that it's not sufficient just having the infrastructure itself be a Ponzi scheme, have we got a platform for you!

Any time "Bitcoin is the safest bet", you should be very afraid. Feel free to enlighten my ignorance. I think digital currency is a good thing, but I think a digital currency in which money is created and backed by CPU cycles isn't long-term viable.

Actually digital marbles 2.0 is really great and is also the future of money, and while I can't give you specifics I can tell you that you should buy buy buy now now now!

And no my 100grand in holdings has not affected my opinion, why do you ask?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

up up up uP UP

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
My wife is from Dublin and keeps wanting to move back there where the cost of living is not too insane, but salaries in my field are like 1/3 what they are in NYC. I keep telling here we can move there when I get seed money to start a new company, since it'll be cheaper to hire decent developers there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Emacs Headroom posted:

My wife is from Dublin and keeps wanting to move back there where the cost of living is not too insane, but salaries in my field are like 1/3 what they are in NYC. I keep telling here we can move there when I get seed money to start a new company, since it'll be cheaper to hire decent developers there

well apple is an irish company, after all

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Emacs Headroom posted:

Cost of rent in Dublin has been climbing due to a housing crisis. It might get fixed soon since it's been hitting multinationals like Paypal's bottom line and they're complaining about their employee hiring/relocation costs have been going up due to having to home them in hotels for longer periods than they used to.

It wouldn't be as bad as London but wouldn't be my first choice city to live in Europe. I've been here for 6 years now and I'm looking forward to moving to somewhere that a 3 bedroom house can be rented for about the same as a studio apartment here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think digital currency is a good thing, but I think a digital currency in which money is created and backed by CPU cycles isn't long-term viable.
Any time I hear about the ridiculously longer times it takes to generate a hash or whatever on the BitCoin chain I'm reminded of that SciFi story where they ask the computer how to reverse entropy.

It'll be the heat-death of the universe and the final Onmiversal BitMiner will spit out the GodHash.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

blowfish posted:

Probably a small but significant minority among the people who want to ~change the world~ with ~tech~ instead of seeing it as a well paying job. Basically look at the corporate donors list of the singularity university/miri, look up which big SV company guys have made noises about the impending singularity and/or AI uprising (this includes people like Elon Musk).

There may or may not be AI advanced enough that everyone considers it strong, but I'd be surprised if the people currently ripping off google/spacex/whatever for funbux will be more than a footnote given that they're mostly worshipping at the feet of self-described technomessiah (read: nut) Elizer Yudkowsky.

Yudowsky actually sounds lot more reasonable than Kurzweil, going by his wikipedia summary: "Yudkowsky expresses skepticism about our ability to predict when AI algorithms are likely to exceed humans in general intelligence, even if we attempt to improve our timelines with more formal models."

Meanwhile Kurzweil says it will DEFINITELY happen by 2045 and that's why he eats like 200 pills a day.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ccs posted:

Yudowsky [...] reasonable

Nope.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Even Kurzweil doesn't believe in the basilisk

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Okay I just looked up what that was and it sounds very stupid.
Thought apparently now that I know about it I'm gonna get punished by future AI. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

on the left posted:

Accenture blew up analyst pay this year with 80k starting, but then you'd be working for Accenture. MBB was quick to match though.

Which analysts?