Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

pixaal posted:

Isn't that processor over 10 years old at this point? How are you just uncovering that? If someone just did that that unless you need that hardware for some legacy machine it's not a great loss other then the nostalgia of a golden age.

It's either a super old picture, or someone had old junk lying around and wanted to make a funny. That socket was Athlon XP era IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Because there's dust on the motherboard, I choose to believe that's how he found it and it's been chugging along fine like that for years.

That's how it is in my head cannon please respect my fantasies.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Office pranks at one of my old jobs involved posting 'I like little boys' to Facebook walls of whoever left his workstation unlocked. :cool:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
At my old job, anyone who left their PC unattended and unlocked had their background and screensaver changed to Baywatch era David Hasselhoff pinups.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Merijn posted:

Office pranks at one of my old jobs involved posting 'I like little boys' to Facebook walls of whoever left his workstation unlocked. :cool:

:stare:

SubjectVerbObject posted:

At my old job, anyone who left their PC unattended and unlocked had their background and screensaver changed to Baywatch era David Hasselhoff pinups.

This was def our thing too. Or Nick Cage. Or, on the PC of our boss, the Patriots logo.

Current job, no one cares if you leave your computer unlocked when you leave your desk and oh god help

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Malek posted:

Introducing the Peter Northbridge

oh fuk

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

i learned my lesson for workstation locking when the net admin popped open amazon and littered my search history with elderly womens' support garments.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I first thought this was glue instead of thermal paste :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just lock people's workstations who forget to. v:shobon:v

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kyrosiris posted:

Boooo

(I don't touch anybody else's work station, computer or desk, because I don't want tickets saying something else is broken and it's my fault for messing with it :shrug:)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Merijn posted:

The victim usually offers free hugs here.

To the IT-ALL mailing list.

Which includes the CEO, company president, and owner.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Best thing to do with an unlocked user's machine that reinforces the lesson:

quote:

Hey all,

Pizza's on me today! Don't let me try to welch out of this later, especially if I try to play it off like I don't remember offering in the first place.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
We mostly just flip each other's displays around with Ctrl Alt and the arrow keys in the event of a screen being left unlocked.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don't want to work with any of you people.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A DEPRESSION CAME IN

I need to die or vent or hear some career advice about being outsourced, long term planning, and getting a raise.

I was recently hired by a company as a part-time back up tech. Two weeks in, I was offered a permanent position at a set location. A school. The previous, lone tech was resigning to move across the country, so we only spent a few days together.

This was previous tech's first network support job. It's 1 server, 150-200 devices, 40 employees, 275 students.
My previous job was 3.5 years, and breaking down the numbers, I supported 28 servers, ~1000 devices, ~1000 employees, ~2500 students.

Day One I notice two horrible things: 1) The server was never backed up during his entire employment--not one backup for 7 months. 2) ZERO network documentation--no IP's, no assets, no vendors, no topologies, no contingency planning. And there are several dozen more mind-blowing problems I need to rectify (students, teachers, staff all share the same PW format. Windows Vista running everywhere. I'm locked out of two VM's because the previous tech forgot the PW's).

Now, the previous tech was 6 years younger, and he made 6G's more than me. He told me the job was really easy, but my experience and professionalism pretty much doubled or tripled the workload. And I'm not too upset with him, it's a drat shame the company would leave their employee, and their customer, in such a precarious position.

I brought this up to my manager, who naturally had no interest in hearing my plea for a raise. He said to compose a document of all the work I think needs to be done. It's 7 pages long and growing, but can anybody offer some advice in crafting a document that'll get me a justified raise? I'm so bothered by how lowballed and exploited I feel. I should be making much more--this isn't just help desk, I am essentially the Network Admin--poo poo, the school lists my title as IT Director. It's a nice title for my resume, but I'm making Tier 1 Help Desk money. Can't I at least get paid as much as the clueless guy?

I brought this all up to the school, but they can't force the company's hand at least until the contract gets renewed. And they have allowed a little more overtime for all the work I've explained.

But how do I deal with my company? I told my manager, "if the server crashed and the school lost 6 months of work, would we still have that contract? I think I saved the contract and a little more money should come my way." (gently caress, being outsourced is the worst--multiple people snatching $10,000 from an on-site tech, all for sending 3 emails a month.)

Should I bring this case out of the chain of command, bypass my manager and go to the Account Executive? Or maybe the manager of On-Site Support? (Someone will care that techs are in the field clueless to the seriousness of backups, right?) Should I apply for a new job in an attempt to force the company's hand? Or to get the school to force the company's hand? (The school doesn't want to deal with another replacement, especially in April, May, June.)

Any advice or insights? I need guidance.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Look up salaries for "IT Director" in the area, give them a snazzy bell curve showing your salary not even on the curve at all, and while presenting the list of issues / workload make sure to hammer in the point that the work is that of an actual IT Director and not helpdesk holding a fancy title.

If they can't listen to that, gtfo as fast as you can because gently caress all that noise. You're not beholden to bad companies. If you just started, you can easily pass it off on your resume as "The company was not a good fit for my work ethic"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You accepted the job before you knew how much the previous guy was paid. You undervalued your own skills, and clearly can live off the wage offered. Take the title and get everything running. With that few machines, you can probably get the job into just monitoring some software like Nagios or PRTG. Wait for a light to go yellow or red then take your action. Use the title to get a better job in 6-12 months.

A nice title like that can mean a ton, just automate everything. With proper backup and monitoring that is a one man job, and easy enough to have downtime.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
First question, did you sign a non-compete agreement, second question, does your state allow them?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Malek posted:

Introducing the Peter Northbridge
:vince:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We had a guy here who decided to "prank" a coworker who left his machine unlocked and logged into a router by typing in a WILDLY destructive command into the router, and leaving it there for the other person to find. Granted he was in the wrong command mode so it wouldn't have worked anyway, but why would you not treat those commands like a loaded gun.

We yelled at that guy for crossing the line and he quit a few months later for being a self entitled little bitch.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
40 tickets and growing today, all Locky based. I may have been a bit too enthusiastic with the 'Please review and critically examine any emails from people you don't know' All Employees email.

EOP is a poo poo sandwich and is letting in more locky spam than it's blocking, Kaspersky is impotent at stopping it, and I'm not allowed to block attachments, even just .zip files, because "What if something important gets blocked?".

Luckily I haven't had any infections since 2 weeks ago, and my backups are running, tested, and confirmed, but I'm still nervous. And I don't trust my users with safety scissors let alone email.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Antioch posted:

40 tickets and growing today, all Locky based. I may have been a bit too enthusiastic with the 'Please review and critically examine any emails from people you don't know' All Employees email.

EOP is a poo poo sandwich and is letting in more locky spam than it's blocking, Kaspersky is impotent at stopping it, and I'm not allowed to block attachments, even just .zip files, because "What if something important gets blocked?".

Luckily I haven't had any infections since 2 weeks ago, and my backups are running, tested, and confirmed, but I'm still nervous. And I don't trust my users with safety scissors let alone email.

"But Antioch, I did exactly what you asked! I reviewed the suspect email and critically examined it by opening the attachment to check for viruses!"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is this one of those dangerous emails? *opens spam folder and begins clicking links*

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Got a Locky today, too, on a server with network shares. I'm scanning it and ready to restore from backups.

Then I remembered that a ton of the employees also work from home, and they have VPN and shared drive access from their personal computers.

You stupid motherfuckers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

Got a Locky today, too, on a server with network shares. I'm scanning it and ready to restore from backups.

Then I remembered that a ton of the employees also work from home, and they have VPN and shared drive access from their personal computers.

You stupid motherfuckers.

If you can't narrow down who it is, enable auditing. The "HELP" or "WHAT IS THIS" or whatever the file with the ransom information is called was made by the person with the infection. Look up the owner and disable the account.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

ProperCoochie posted:

A DEPRESSION CAME IN

I need to die or vent or hear some career advice about being outsourced, long term planning, and getting a raise.

I was recently hired by a company as a part-time back up tech. Two weeks in, I was offered a permanent position at a set location. A school. The previous, lone tech was resigning to move across the country, so we only spent a few days together.

This was previous tech's first network support job. It's 1 server, 150-200 devices, 40 employees, 275 students.
My previous job was 3.5 years, and breaking down the numbers, I supported 28 servers, ~1000 devices, ~1000 employees, ~2500 students.

Day One I notice two horrible things: 1) The server was never backed up during his entire employment--not one backup for 7 months. 2) ZERO network documentation--no IP's, no assets, no vendors, no topologies, no contingency planning. And there are several dozen more mind-blowing problems I need to rectify (students, teachers, staff all share the same PW format. Windows Vista running everywhere. I'm locked out of two VM's because the previous tech forgot the PW's).

Now, the previous tech was 6 years younger, and he made 6G's more than me. He told me the job was really easy, but my experience and professionalism pretty much doubled or tripled the workload. And I'm not too upset with him, it's a drat shame the company would leave their employee, and their customer, in such a precarious position.

I brought this up to my manager, who naturally had no interest in hearing my plea for a raise. He said to compose a document of all the work I think needs to be done. It's 7 pages long and growing, but can anybody offer some advice in crafting a document that'll get me a justified raise? I'm so bothered by how lowballed and exploited I feel. I should be making much more--this isn't just help desk, I am essentially the Network Admin--poo poo, the school lists my title as IT Director. It's a nice title for my resume, but I'm making Tier 1 Help Desk money. Can't I at least get paid as much as the clueless guy?

I brought this all up to the school, but they can't force the company's hand at least until the contract gets renewed. And they have allowed a little more overtime for all the work I've explained.

But how do I deal with my company? I told my manager, "if the server crashed and the school lost 6 months of work, would we still have that contract? I think I saved the contract and a little more money should come my way." (gently caress, being outsourced is the worst--multiple people snatching $10,000 from an on-site tech, all for sending 3 emails a month.)

Should I bring this case out of the chain of command, bypass my manager and go to the Account Executive? Or maybe the manager of On-Site Support? (Someone will care that techs are in the field clueless to the seriousness of backups, right?) Should I apply for a new job in an attempt to force the company's hand? Or to get the school to force the company's hand? (The school doesn't want to deal with another replacement, especially in April, May, June.)

Any advice or insights? I need guidance.

I don't think you can get a 6+k raise anywhere without some pretty obvious blackmail. The official way to do that would be to put in your x weeks notice and at the same time throwing an edited contract on your boss's desk with your conditions.
Line managers typically have to justify every quitting employee to their boss or even to HR so you're basically 100% guaranteed to have a meeting with somebody who's interested in retaining you.

I would absolutely not recommend contacting the customer, that's a pretty ugly breach of trust between you and your employer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Merijn posted:

Few years ago I had a crappy data entry gig and I did something similar, except I only replaced the last user name login with "I love little boys" to an annoying poo poo who went to go grab a drink.

Hoo boy I wasn't prepared for what happened next; I let everyone else on the desk pod in on the gag who thought it hilarious, guy gets back and stops in his tracks wide eyed then goes bright red in the face when he looked at his screen, turns out he was a hardcore christian and this sent him bananas. He starts yelling at someone else thinking they did it and they start arguing because they don't like each other anyway, at this point supervisor jumps in and I'm thinking I'm going to have to fess up so no-one takes the fall. Supervisor pretty much says it can't really be proven who actually typed it in, so knock it off and everyone stop goofing around.

It was still worth it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
No tickets came in.

Exchange is down.
Dynamics Online is down.
Internal apps are down.
VMWare is down (mostly)

Everything is hosed.

But somehow Lync kept working. :wtf:

(Some time early Monday morning one of the VMware servers in the cluster half poo poo the bed. It didn't fully die so the others would take over, it just mostly died so a random mix of services and servers stopped working)

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I don't lock my computer, just turn off the screens when I leave for the day. Never had anyone mess with my computer in almost 10 years of working at the same place.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Alighieri posted:

I don't lock my computer, just turn off the screens when I leave for the day. Never had anyone mess with my computer in almost 10 years of working at the same place.

You should be in the habit of pressing win+L especially if you work in IT. If you have any sensitive information you are leaving it exposed. Doubly so if you are using a privileged as your day to day account.

You shouldn't mess with someone that doesn't lock their computer, but you shouldn't leave your computer unlocked. Make it part of getting out of your chair. It very quickly becomes habit even at home after a few days.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Make it part of getting out of your chair. It very quickly becomes habit even at home after a few days.

This is true, I started doing it when I was working as T1 and it took a few weeks but I've been doing it for 5 years and it's just second nature.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just pushed the lock screen shortcut as the screensaver in Group Policy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm 50/50, if I feel mischievous, I'll do something goofy like send an email as them or change the background, otherwise if it's a first time newbie offense, I'll lock it and (inevitably) prank them later when it happens again :getin:

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't want to work with any of you people.

watch yo step, cloth-eater

Jewel
May 2, 2009

A friend works at google and they said everyone has a pinned website on the browser splash or the intranet or whatever which goes to an internal page that pulls up random memes that basically say "you should lock your computer!" that you're supposed to use if they're left unlocked.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My favorite prank was to change the wallpaper to the default win95 wallpaper, because making someone think, for just a brief moment, that they had win95 installed is a glorious thing. Then they look at the task bar, start menu, etc. and realize it's just the wallpaper.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Alighieri posted:

I don't do anything too bad beyond opening up notepad and explaining all the things I could have done with their unsecured profile. Since my place is on a security kick complaints sent to management fall on deaf ears and mandatory reeducation on cyber security.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

We used to meat spin people or salsa snack them, turn off the monitor and turn the sound on just loud enough you'd hear it when you say down and you loving knew what was coming.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Virigoth posted:

salsa snack

:stare:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thank you, google, for not shoving screen caps of this on me.

I should know better, yet here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I don't understand how leaving gay porn on your coworkers' computers doesn't get you immediately fired.

• Locked thread