Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snaeksikn posted:

hodge apparently has a broken arm

Some poo poo bloke must have chin butted his elbow or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Wood's one yesterday was better

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The best part about that is he missed the goal from there

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The best part about that is he missed the goal from there

Yeah, from that distance and angle you have to work to miss it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill posted:

Yeah, from that distance and angle you have to work to miss it.

Adelaide sleeper agent. I mean if you're going to infiltrate an organisation as a spy and undermine them your name has to be Agent Dangerfield right?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think from his perspective the best thing about it will be him being the best on ground and his team winning in his first proper match for his new team, and his inaccuracy in front of goal probably won't trouble him too much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

From my perspective he's a loving turncoat, and I'm going to enjoy all his fuckups, especially his poo poo kicks

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
He must have had so much adrenaline running through his body after the mark that it would have been really difficult to just calm down and kick it.

I'm not too unhappy with that. We played a quarter and a bit of decent footy, got some good things to learn and the kids got some exposure. We'll see what happens as the season progresses. I'd like to see Sicily, O'Rourke and Hartung play with more composure and affect more contests as they play more games. They all went missing for large periods today.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Clayton Oliver is the round 1 rising star nominee 😎

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Hawks are gonna need a good game plan next week against the Eagles. But I suspect Hodge will smuggle a rifle in to the MCG inside his arm cast and literally snipe from the coach's box.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Honestly, if we had Dangerfield and he played a game like that for us I wouldn't be complaining at all, even if those missed shots had cost us, you can't say he wasn't giving it everything he had.

So what was the biggest shock this round? Freo's utter pantsing?

Also re: Hawthorn, they have Eagles and then Dogs .. I don't want to get too carried away but they could start the season 0-3 which would just be wonderful. But it would also just give Bruce and co more things to froth at the mouth over when they talk about overcoming the remarkable odds on the way to the 4-peat.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
even losing the game, the Hawks shut Geelong's scoring down completely in Q3 :catstare:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Testekill posted:

Wood's one yesterday was better

I saw both live and was also sitting near both, and Wood's was definitely better.

Negligent posted:

even losing the game, the Hawks shut Geelong's scoring down completely in Q3 :catstare:

I think this is important, when the Hawks turned it on they looked REALLY good.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

Clayton Oliver is the round 1 rising star nominee 😎

Pretty surprised at this honestly. Thought weitering, parish or papley should get the nod this round. Then again, Oliver's clearances came at absolutely crucial times so I'm not complaining too hard

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Swan's broken three bones in his foot including a lisfranc fracture, I don't think there's any way he's playing again.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Swan's broken three bones in his foot including a lisfranc fracture, I don't think there's any way he's playing again.

Yeah, that's gotta be curtains considering that he was already 50-50 on playing on next season.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Negligent posted:

We played a much better brand of footy in that quarter and Geelong really seemed to panic. I think the execution was generally pretty poor the rest of the day though, mostly on things that will get better with more games at full intensity. Movement without the ball was pretty horrendous (Perhaps a factor of missing Hill/Shiels), lots of fumbles and some decision making was pretty poor too. Honestly I think our best player by a mile was Frawley. He was relatively calm with the ball and won a lot of contests.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

From my perspective he's a loving turncoat, and I'm going to enjoy all his fuckups, especially his poo poo kicks

gfycat.com/DiscreteLeafyGrub

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wonder what strength of pain killers they'll have to prescribe him

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'll do some sexy/weird graphs tomorrow maybe but for now there's this to chew on.
code:
 1. HAW 1213  -66 
 2. WCE 1200  -18 
 3. SYD 1106  +55 
 4. WBD 1052  +53  +2
 5. GEE  989  +66  +5
 6. ADE  971   -8  +1
 7. RIC  970  -37  -3
 8. FRE  949  -53  -3
 9. PAD  915  -12  -1
10. NME  889   +8  +1
11. COL  870  -55  -2
12. GWS  788   -4 
13. MEL  654   +4 
14. GCO  640  +50  +2
15. STK  610  +12 
16. CAR  579  +37  +1
17. ESS  554  -50  -3
18. BRL  533  +18 
EDIT: The dumb website is up to date with all the match results too.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 28, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Also Easton Wood's grab was better.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Round 2 every team that had a win is playing a team that lost, so it would be theoretically possible for a team to be 2-0 and outside the 8.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well today was disappointing but at least Q3 was a lot of fun. It was nice of Fox Footy to put the 2015 GF recall on after the game so I could watch that to cheer up when I got home.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Shmoses posted:

gfycat.com/DiscreteLeafyGrub

Woops http://gfycat.com/DiscreteLeafyGrub

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pretty surprised at this honestly. Thought weitering, parish or papley should get the nod this round. Then again, Oliver's clearances came at absolutely crucial times so I'm not complaining too hard

the good thing with him being such a bolter is that if he starts to tire and needs a rest petracca should hopefully have his match fitness up to be able to step straight in to the same sort of role

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'll do some sexy/weird graphs tomorrow maybe but for now there's this to chew on.
code:
 1. HAW 1213  -66 
 2. WCE 1200  -18 
 3. SYD 1106  +55 
 4. WBD 1052  +53  +2
 5. GEE  989  +66  +5
 6. ADE  971   -8  +1
 7. RIC  970  -37  -3
 8. FRE  949  -53  -3
 9. PAD  915  -12  -1
10. NME  889   +8  +1
11. COL  870  -55  -2
12. GWS  788   -4 
13. MEL  654   +4 
14. GCO  640  +50  +2
15. STK  610  +12 
16. CAR  579  +37  +1
17. ESS  554  -50  -3
18. BRL  533  +18 

how many rounds do you reckon it will take before the numbers start to tell the story of where essendon actually are?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

The Deadly Hume posted:

Next week's scorelines look way off. I assume it's cause it's only the second round but they look mostly low vs the opponents.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So I watched my first full game which was collingwood vs sydney. It was fun but um, I think I just have more questions now. My first question, and don't take this the wrong way, how much strategy is actually involved in this sport? I know there are layers of strategy to everything but the game moves so quick and is so chaotic it seems like players have a split second to either run or find an unmarked man for a pass. Not exactly the play calling of gridiron or the formations and build up play of soccer. To me it kind of looked like a seething mass of players just colliding into eachother nonstop. Again this could just be the untrained eye, but is there deeper strategy someone could elaborate on beyond zone or man marking? Also how common are injuries it seemed like there was a serious one every 10 minutes. Lastly I was wondering if any non-irish, non-oceanic players had made a splash in the sport. I was reading about two americans who are apparently in the league but I couldn't tell if they were good or not. Also it's funny that it's two basketball players I figured we would've sent a punter over there first, the skillset seems a lot more similar.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Seltzer posted:

So I watched my first full game which was collingwood vs sydney. It was fun but um, I think I just have more questions now. My first question, and don't take this the wrong way, how much strategy is actually involved in this sport? I know there are layers of strategy to everything but the game moves so quick and is so chaotic it seems like players have a split second to either run or find an unmarked man for a pass. Not exactly the play calling of gridiron or the formations and build up play of soccer. To me it kind of looked like a seething mass of players just colliding into eachother nonstop. Again this could just be the untrained eye, but is there deeper strategy someone could elaborate on beyond zone or man marking? Also how common are injuries it seemed like there was a serious one every 10 minutes. Lastly I was wondering if any non-irish, non-oceanic players had made a splash in the sport. I was reading about two americans who are apparently in the league but I couldn't tell if they were good or not. Also it's funny that it's two basketball players I figured we would've sent a punter over there first, the skillset seems a lot more similar.

Its less of a "tactics" game like Gridiron and more of a strategy game in that coaches will tell players to move the ball to certain areas and zone certain areas, whether to run and carry the ball or kick to contests etc.. so there is a LOT more strategy behind it then meets the eye. This is also one of the reasons why experience and mental toughness is so important as its very easy for teams to break down as a unit under pressure or opposition momentum. Theres no other sport in the world where your team can be 20 points up and you honestly are worried youre about to lose the game due to the opposition having immense momentum and kicking repeated goals.

Injuries arent that common but youre bound to have a few every round but thats just the nature of a full contact sport.

The two Americans are Jason Holmes and Mason Cox who are both 2+metre tall ruckman whose physical prowess allows them to make up for their lack of experience and skills from growing up in the game. Only Holmes has actually played at AFL level though.
Apart from the Irish theres no real big "splashes" although there are amateur leaugues all over the world. Actually basketball is a fairllly similar sport in a lot of ways due to its free flowing nature.

Btw keep up the questions, its good to have this kind of conversation which is a change from bagging Luke Hodge and lolling at Freo/collingwood.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's quite a bit of strategy involved - teams run different types of defensive zones, set plays from stoppages ie certain players step across and block, the ruckman taps to a specific point, and free players move through the empty space created by the blocks to win the ball, forwards practise ways to move around such that they can isolate a corridor of space for a player to run into and catch the ball uncontested, or isolate defenders in mismatches ie short guy on a tall guy. The difference is that in American football and Soccer, every player on the field is on your screen - thanks to the line of scrimmage, and the off side rield in soccer, you can see everyone at once, how they're setting up, etc. No off side, a massive playing area, and no lines, means that it's really hard for the camera to capture everything going on, so they just follow the ball. It's kind of a better stadium spectator sport than a TV one, if you're really into tactics.

No club ever goes without injuries for a whole year, but the broken leg you saw doesn't happen very often, it's mostly muscular injuries like strained hamstrings, and occasional knee ligament injuries.

There's a reason they've gone for basketball players: did you see the two biggest guys on the ground contesting a hit out all the time, similar to a basketball tip off? Those are called ruckman, and that's their job. Being a country of just 22 million people, it's been getting harder and harder to find players who are all three of 6'8 or more in height, have high aerobic athleticism in order to run the whole game, and have enough talent to do it at the top level. Fortunately in the US, you have about 40 guys who meet that description graduating from college basketball but not making it into the NBA every year, so it seems like a worthwhile resource to tap, especially since a lower standard of skill at other things is accepted if you're that tall and athletic.

As for punters, the kicking part is similar, but most punters seem to take their kick, aiming for nothing but hang time and then jog off the field - you can't just kick in Australian rules football, you have to be able to pinpoint a target under pressure, plus you need to catch the ball, collect it from the ground, tackle, spoil, handpass, spend a great deal of time running, and be able to understand your role in the tactical system and always be in it correctly.

Jason Holmes played some games last year, and looked ok. Mason Cox is at Collingwood, and they seem to think he has a future as a player. Both are ex-college basketballers.

Majak Daw is a ruckman at North Melbourne, and he's a Sudanese refugee.

Mike Pyke is a Canadian ex-rugby union player who has won a premiership with Sydney, also as a ruckman.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 28, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'll address some of the more complicated points, but does commentary/the camera generally focus on a few star players all game. That seemed to be going on with "buddy" during the game I watched. Also what's the deal with little picture in picture box in the corner. It's kinda distracting.

e- I saw an interview with Holmes, seemed like a nice guy. So is he basically a fringe player or a starter?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seltzer posted:

I'll address some of the more complicated points, but does commentary/the camera generally focus on a few star players all game. That seemed to be going on with "buddy" during the game I watched. Also what's the deal with little picture in picture box in the corner. It's kinda distracting.

e- I saw an interview with Holmes, seemed like a nice guy. So is he basically a fringe player or a starter?

With very few exceptions, our TV commentators are utterly terrible, for that and many other reasons. Where possible, some of us play the game on mute, and synch it up with the ABC radio commentary (our ABC is like your PBS + NPR). The picture in picture stuff is because the TV network running it has a massive inferiority complex, and tries to copy technology and plans from American sports without really understanding their context, because they need to see themselves internally as being a world leading, cutting edge provider (they really, really aren't). The other, cable network that shares the rights still suffers from bad commentators, but they're much better at not being stupid with the technology, plus they also actually broadcast in real HD.

Holmes is a fringe player, he's on the rookie list, which I guess is similar to an NFL practise squad. He's shown some promise though, and St Kilda is a team that recently hit the bottom and are building their way back up again, and with recent rules changes further emphasising a need for ruckmen who can both jump and run, he could get some more games over the next couple of years.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 28, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

how many rounds do you reckon it will take before the numbers start to tell the story of where essendon actually are?
Usually 4-5 weeks in, by the split rounds you can get a pretty good idea after a decent number of teams have played each other.

pkid posted:

Next week's scorelines look way off. I assume it's cause it's only the second round but they look mostly low vs the opponents.
It's a baseline. Upsets sometimes happen, and that balances the absolute floggings. I mean it had West Coast beating Brisbane by 82, and they beat them by "only" 62. The sigma from the forecast margin is usually about 37-38 points.

This round was pretty high scoring too (averaged nearly 100, last couple of seasons have averaged 86), and that can push clubs attacking ratings up too. I haven't put the attack/defence ratings on the match summaries because it just adds to the number soup, though I'll put them on the table listing when I get around to it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

Where possible, some of us play the game on mute, and synch it up with the ABC radio commentary (our ABC is like your PBS + NPR).

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask, is there a way to do this using a computer and internet radio?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I'll address some of the more complicated points, but does commentary/the camera generally focus on a few star players all game. That seemed to be going on with "buddy" during the game I watched.

Buddy would have had a bit more attention from commentators than usual since he has been one of the biggest stars of the game for the past ~8yrs but last year as Sydney entered the finals he pulled out of the entire finals series as he was battling some mental health issues. So Saturday night was his first game back and so I guess to sell the story of it he probably got a bit more attention than usual.

That being said though, at NTRabbit said, with a couple of exceptions, almost all of our TV commentators are rubbish and you'll probably hear many of us ripping them to shreds over the course of the year as a form of catharsis.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Buddy is also the closest thing AFL has to a LeBron player at the moment just in terms of being physically an absolute freak.

Unfortunately you managed to pick one of the worst games over the weekend to watch, it was probably the best opening Round 1 we've had in a long time and lots of the games were very tight and contested, Collingwood just didn't turn up to play at all.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 28, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also Buckley really looked like he wanted to loving kill Robbo on 360, and Chris Scott looked like he would have helped.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Unfortunately you managed to pick one of the worst games over the weekend to watch, it was probably the best opening Round 1 we've had in a long time and lots of the games were very tight and contested, Collingwood just didn't turn up to play at all.

It seemed really onesided. But fs2 only airs 3 games a week on tv so I really didn't have an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You'll get better games next weekend no doubt

• Locked thread