Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
8 bit scholar reveals a startling lack of empathy and insight, surprising no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Her overcoming her trauma is literally the arc of the season dude.

For someone named "scholar" you have a really hard time with like; theming, metaphor, simile...

Not at all, but if overcoming her trauma is her character arc, they sure take their time actually getting to it. I watched ten episodes of the show and hung it up after that and in those ten episodes I can struggle to think of more than a handful, if that, of positive moments of character growth or achievement by Jessica. She puts people in danger constantly in the meantime, she decides to stand up for some shallow moralism and protect Kilgore when she could let him die, but she lacks the courage to mercy kill the man begging her to end his life three episodes prior. And, again:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

She's loving lifeless too, the performance is always flat and monotone or shouty and pouty. She looks and acts like a high school girl.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Not at all, but if overcoming her trauma is her character arc, they sure take their time actually getting to it. I watched ten episodes of the show and hung it up after that and in those ten episodes I can struggle to think of more than a handful, if that, of positive moments of character growth or achievement by Jessica. She puts people in danger constantly in the meantime, she decides to stand up for some shallow moralism and protect Kilgore when she could let him die, but she lacks the courage to mercy kill the man begging her to end his life three episodes prior. And, again:

bloodychill posted:

8 bit scholar reveals a startling lack of empathy and insight, surprising no one

It probably should be about three episodes shorter tho

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You are literally saying that the trauma victim did not combat her trauma in a way you approve of, nor was it quick enough for your liking, and then switched the show off before she gets over her trauma and complained that this is somehow the fault of the show.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bloodychill posted:

Sorry that the lovely character didn't inspire me to like her in any way.

Lady Naga posted:

You are literally saying that the trauma victim did not combat her trauma in a way you approve of, nor was it quick enough for your liking, and then switched the show off before she gets over her trauma and complains that this is somehow the fault of the show.

lmao if that's really what you think I'm saying then we're not even going to bother having this discussion. If you can't address my points without trying to find fault with my person instead, then there's nothing more to be said.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ok, but how about video games

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lady Naga posted:

You are literally saying that the trauma victim did not combat her trauma in a way you approve of

8-Bit Scholar posted:

She has absolutely no backbone, she's constantly doing the exact opposite of what she could or should do, she blames herself for poo poo that she shouldn't and dodges blames for poo poo that she should.

Lady Naga posted:

nor was it quick enough for your liking,

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Not at all, but if overcoming her trauma is her character arc, they sure take their time actually getting to it.

Lady Naga posted:

and then switched the show off before she gets over her trauma and complained that this is somehow the fault of the show.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I watched ten episodes of the show and hung it up after that

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Hyper Light Drifter releases in three days and I look forward to it.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 28, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lmao" all trauma victims are cowards" -- Lady Naga. This conversation is done.

Level Slide posted:

This game looks awesome and I cannot wait. I was surprised that Gameinformer gave it a big long write-up a couple months back, it was nice to see an indie title getting space instead of big studio poo poo like the Evil Within.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Found the name of that game that also has a similar aesthetic to HLD. It was called Radio the Universe. I also look forward to that game's release.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

lmao" all trauma victims are cowards" -- Lady Naga.

I'm sorry for whatever blow you took to the head to come to that conclusion.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/714501458184548352

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sorry that the lovely character didn't inspire me to like her in any way.

It's not a "hero's journey" story. It is a "rape victim with survivor's guilt" story. Jessica Jones does not do heroic things. She helps people on occasion but mostly it's going to be a terrifying slog through a painful reality you might not have firsthand experience with that can be very hard to watch at times. It's a story that I personally think is worth being told and wouldn't do well with a different tone.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lady Naga posted:

Her overcoming her trauma is literally the arc of the season dude.

For someone named "scholar" you have a really hard time with like; theming, metaphor, simile...

None of those devices were used in the 8 bit era tho

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have no idea how you'd handle Breaking Bad honestly.

Or like, Paradise Lost.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Level Slide posted:

Why are you posting about video games in the Being Weird About Comic Book TV Shows thread?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yes indeed I wish these people would stop generally chatting in the general chat thread.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I can hear the sound of clicking. A thousand pre-orders being cancelled.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

bloodychill posted:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Proud to see the worst posters in this thread hate me. Surely I'm doing something right.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nah you're just a tad slow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

there's nothing to give her nuance like we got with Sniper Wolf, who accomplishes much the same purpose but far more effectively.

Well, yeah.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
10 Cloverfield Lane is something that feels like it should be really "dark and gritty" and while its a dark story it actually remains pretty fun throughout the whole film even when dealing with some serious messed up stuff.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I just remembered that 8BS suggested that a great idea for a 90s compton RPG is collecting black people and I can't stop snickering.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

im loving sick of movies being DARK AND GRITTY. like crime films are cool but good crime films are also clever, theyre not just everyone loving dying

every movie with a superhero in it is complete dogshit

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey spiderman 2 is good

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I just remembered that 8BS suggested that a great idea for a 90s compton RPG is collecting black people and I can't stop snickering.

Thanks, I thought it was a pretty funny idea to summon rappers like you would in final fantasy seven too

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Thanks, I thought it was a pretty funny idea to summon rappers like you would in final fantasy seven too

You said a really stupid thing and didn't fully think the consequences of your words through. It's okay to admit this, laugh about it, and move on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

You said a really stupid thing and didn't fully think the consequences of your words through. It's okay to admit this, laugh about it, and move on.

The consequences of my words? And what consequences are those?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bloodychill posted:

He's also pretty racist.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

8-Bit Scholar posted:

summon them with a small bell maybe

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

missing the point yet again

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The fact that it was startlingly racist.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Proud to see the worst posters in this thread hate me. Surely I'm doing something right.

There's a difference between shitposting and posting poo poo. :(

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's as if Rent Cavalier never left.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

every movie with a superhero in it is complete dogshit

i meant movies in general though

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's also pretty racist.

Man, if I'm racist, then we've set an awfully low bar for racism, lol.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Everyone but you is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
two worlds 3 announced as well as a new expansion for two worlds 2

wow

• Locked thread