Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Got back from 3 weeks in New Zealand and Australia which left me wanting a Ute. All the practicality of a bro truck (V8 or turbo I6, lots of cargo space in the bed) without the massive size/stigma of having a jacked up 3/4 ton spewing diesel fumes. They seem like the perfect Alberta summer vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It floors me whenever I visit Red Deer and witness the disparity between Tim Hortons and the Donut Mill.

Donut Mill: Nice, cleanly-parking families taking their children out for the day. Polite help who call you "sir" and want to have a conversation while serving decent coffee and thick, fresh sandwiches. Everyone is smiling.

Tim Hortons: winner-take-all white trash demolition derby where people in Korean bimbo boxes scream at inbreds in jacked-up towing-mirror base model F150s for loving up putting things in the recycle bin, while the remaining morons cut each other off in the drive-through, honk at pedestrians and drive over curbs in fully-decorated work trucks.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 26, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It floors me whenever I visit Red Deer and witness the disparity between Tim Hortons and the Donut Mill.

Donut Mill: Nice, cleanly-parking families taking their children out for the day. Polite help who call you "sir" and want to have a conversation while serving decent coffee and thick, fresh sandwiches. Everyone is smiling.

Tim Hortons: winner-take-all white trash demolition derby where people in Korean bimbo boxes scream at inbreds in jacked-up towing-mirror base model F150s for loving up putting things in the recycle bin, while the remaining morons cut each other off in the drive-through, honk at pedestrians and drive over curbs in fully-decorated work trucks.

uh they're FX4 (appearance package)s bruh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am not a well man :(

The Leduc Canadian Tire has a bunch of 155/80/13 iPikes on sale for about $10 each and uh things got out of hand.

Send help

The obvious answer to this is just buy cars for your tires :shepspends:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We need to get an invite to this thing next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fECqu4r6rCQ

The guy with the rotary flag cape is probably known to us.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 26, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

"Any advice?"
"Keep in drive"
"What if you have a manual?"
"Oh, we'll read it"

neckbeard posted:

Got back from 3 weeks in New Zealand and Australia which left me wanting a Ute. All the practicality of a bro truck (V8 or turbo I6, lots of cargo space in the bed) without the massive size/stigma of having a jacked up 3/4 ton spewing diesel fumes. They seem like the perfect Alberta summer vehicle.

Absolutely. My only regret from the 4 months I spent in Tasmania a few years ago was that I didn't buy a ute that I could bring back with me.
My Ute 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 114 Bruny Part 3 Jetty Beach 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
"Missed It By One" here was a 2001 Ford Falcon XR6 ute. The name comes from the reaction of each and every Australian who answered my question with "Holden Commodore" when I asked "I bought the most Australian car I could find - a ute, clearly. What do you think I bought?" Note the cupholder cutouts in the tailgate that are the exact right size for a bottle of wine.

She's now legal for import and use on Canadian roads - 15 years old - but I left Tassie in February of 2013. I *should* have bought a 1998 or older ute and arranged transport back to Canada. Poking around suggests not-in-a-container shipping from Melbourne to Vancouver, after the vehicle shows up with all fluids removed and the necessary paperwork in order, would have cost around $1200. If it's well packed and tied down (or completely inside) you can put anything you like in the car to come with it (obvious contraband excepted) so if you go this route it seems wise to pick up a pile of spare parts before you leave Down Under.
Out-of-country safety inspection and registration in B.C. is more of a gamble, but assuming nothing major is wrong with it I'd bet around $300. Insurance I have no idea, but it probably starts somewhere near most home-built kit cars.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I never noticed before, but it's hilarious to me that they use the same tail lights as normal Ford trucks do. Looks halfway out of place, but halfway completely appropriate.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I never noticed that!

Now you bring it up, the lack of a real rear bumper - there's nothing between those little horns under the lights - might have been a problem for the out-of-country inspection. Presumably it's not particularly difficult to get somebody to fab up a steel-tube rear bumper and bolt/weld it to the rear frame, as long as you can still open the tailgate.
SD 116 Caves and Walls Pt 1 More Adventuresome 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And yes, the rear visibility was as bad as you think it was. Looking in the rear-view mirror was like always driving around with the bed full of stuff. Removing the tonneau cover helped, a little.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

This is amazing and I need to be there

Hopefully the tm2tw rally will give us enough street cred to get in

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

"Any advice?"
"Keep in drive"
"What if you have a manual?"
"Oh, we'll read it"

Absolutely. My only regret from the 4 months I spent in Tasmania a few years ago was that I didn't buy a ute that I could bring back with me.
My Ute 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 114 Bruny Part 3 Jetty Beach 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
"Missed It By One" here was a 2001 Ford Falcon XR6 ute. The name comes from the reaction of each and every Australian who answered my question with "Holden Commodore" when I asked "I bought the most Australian car I could find - a ute, clearly. What do you think I bought?" Note the cupholder cutouts in the tailgate that are the exact right size for a bottle of wine.

She's now legal for import and use on Canadian roads - 15 years old - but I left Tassie in February of 2013. I *should* have bought a 1998 or older ute and arranged transport back to Canada. Poking around suggests not-in-a-container shipping from Melbourne to Vancouver, after the vehicle shows up with all fluids removed and the necessary paperwork in order, would have cost around $1200. If it's well packed and tied down (or completely inside) you can put anything you like in the car to come with it (obvious contraband excepted) so if you go this route it seems wise to pick up a pile of spare parts before you leave Down Under.
Out-of-country safety inspection and registration in B.C. is more of a gamble, but assuming nothing major is wrong with it I'd bet around $300. Insurance I have no idea, but it probably starts somewhere near most home-built kit cars.

Nice, I was looking earlier today and looks like the Holden Commodore VU Maloo (LS1!) is legal for import now (or sometime this year) but they still seem to be going for $10K+ Aussie bucks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

neckbeard posted:

$10K+ Aussie bucks.

Australian dollar is basically on par with the Canadian - now's the time to be buying stuff from down under. (Like all the rotary goodies - Microtech, ITB kits, multi piece E-shafts all at 1:1.)

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

Australian dollar is basically on par with the Canadian - now's the time to be buying stuff from down under. (Like all the rotary goodies - Microtech, ITB kits, multi piece E-shafts all at 1:1.)

I did buy 15 packs of Tim Tams before I left. Coles (supermarket) had them at 2/$5

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a left hand drive ute in GP, built from an imported GTO from the states.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Raluek posted:

I never noticed before, but it's hilarious to me that they use the same tail lights as normal Ford trucks do. Looks halfway out of place, but halfway completely appropriate.

That was literally the first thing I noticed before I even read the post. When I am bored silly on the highway I sort of do the same kind of thing with figuring what RV's are using for head/taillights.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I officially owe you an apology slidebite, I have sold my Goldwing. Won't be riding down south to visit this spring/summer.

That $2k will be going towards my wedding.

It has tentatively been sold to a woman down in Cochrane. I'm riding it down this coming Saturday weather permitting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

YOUR PRIORITIES ARE ... where they need to be.

No problem, you'll probably get another horse.

Unless you're like Drake, then you'll talk about getting a bike for 4 years and never do it :buddy:

I kid because I love

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hey, I had a bike :colbert:

I just didn't have a street bike. Or really ride my bike on the street. Or do anything much with it, really.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

No problem, you'll probably get another horse.

drat right! Over the winter I'll complete the (future) wifes CB400F and 2017 will be the year I get a Husky 701 SM.

DrakeriderCa mentioned that you would be able to get us rubber matting that would be ideal for mudflaps. Is that still the case and can you get it in red?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have sheets of red rubber but I am not 100% sure of how well it would stand up. Let me investigate.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

I have sheets of red rubber but I am not 100% sure of how well it would stand up. Let me investigate.

They work great until the temps get really low and then they'll crack and get lovely in short order, usually.

I've thought about making my own out of urethane, just make a nice flat mold and pour some in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The cold would concern me, but UV might impact it too. I suspect it would last a few months, but not sure about how long past that.

In other news, and completely AI unrealated, but if you are a weak willed fatty like me or just have a sweet tooth, Purdy's has 50% off their Easter chocolate right now. Of course, just walking by the location in the mall I just HAD TO stop in and drop $20. :sigh:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Picking Easter as the time to give up all sugar and grains was not a smart idea. :doh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I went on the wagon for 30 days back in November. Lost 10lbs without literally changing anything else in my diet or lifestyle. That lasted until Christmas.

However, I am positive if I were to lay off the booze and watched my sugars along with simple carbs I suspect it would be pretty dramatic.

I'm not a big anti-grain/carb person, but I found THIS BOOK to be fascinating.

e: I've done some googling and well known quacks like Mercola seem to be latching onto her book so that's making me think it might be too good to be true :(

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 29, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

I went on the wagon for 30 days back in November. Lost 10lbs without literally changing anything else in my diet or lifestyle. That lasted until Christmas.

However, I am positive if I were to lay off the booze and watched my sugars along with simple carbs I suspect it would be pretty dramatic.

I'm not a big anti-grain/carb person, but I found THIS BOOK to be fascinating.

e: I've done some googling and well known quacks like Mercola seem to be latching onto her book so that's making me think it might be too good to be true :(

Nah, there's a lot of validity to it. Problem is, like everything, people take what works for ~some~, and figure it must be true for ~all~. Wife and I went keto (or, well, just low carb - less than 50g/day for her, less than 30g/day for me) last spring. We both lost a ton of weight. We're back eating a little more than that (winter gets long and you run out of non-carby comfort foods), and haven't put back on more than mayyyyybe 5lbs each (if that). We're planning on getting pregnant soon, so we need to switch back to a more balanced diet, since there's just no good research on whether low-carb is safe during pregnancy or not. I think the biggest thing is that what we're eating is mostly whole-grain, not-overly-processed, and we're keeping portions down. Lots of butter and meat, lots of veggies, minimal starchy carbs. We have bread every now and then, we just make sure its whole-grain small-bakery without a bunch of added crap. Same with pasta. We don't touch rice much, but we'll see what we can find for "healthier" rice if we need to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got powerfisted again.

"impact drill bit" they said

"M2 high speed steel" they said

And then the 1/4" and 5/16" are just sleeves slid over smaller bits and they just spin inside themselves and get really hot the instant you touch it to metal.

Trying to get the broken exhaust manifold stud out of the lincoln without pulling the engine. I got the #3 extractor wedged in good and hard, but i could feel it was ready to twist off before it broke the stud loose.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
drat, iron head, can't use the AvE alum trick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oh god :negative:

I probably didn't even have to do any of this.

I was curious as to what the manifold actually weighs(19 loving pounds), so i ran out to the garage and grabbed it, on the way back, this fell off.

I wonder if that could be responsible for the loud exhaust leak noise

well, gently caress.

I just assumed all the noise was caused by that broken bolt because it was dirty all around there, and that stud was definitely missing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha powerfist bits. "How bad can they be ?" Shrugs the man as he tosses a pack into his cart and continues on to the powerfist spray paint.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I have no problem buying cutting wheels, grinding discs or even files from PA, but even I won't buy their drill bits.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I only consider buying poo poo at PA if it's on sale. If its not better quality for cheaper can be had on most of their stuff. But when something is like 80% off as seems to happen quite a bit, yeah, it's almost hard to say no to some of that junk even if I don't need it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Sometimes it surprises you. I've done horrible things to my POWERFIST mini sledge hammer and it just happily takes the abuse

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Pretty sure that's where I got my 3/8" crowsfoot set. Not that I tried too hard, but it was one place I found that had them for not :texas: dollars. The jewelers loups have come in handy too. Where else could you buy a set for $9.99?

The fat franks guy at the northside PA was a trooper. Not that we had a tough winter, but he was out there a poo poo ton. He's also a cool dude. Calls me brother. We're friends.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

8ender posted:

Sometimes it surprises you. I've done horrible things to my POWERFIST mini sledge hammer and it just happily takes the abuse

It'll keep going like a trooper until you hit something that's properly hardened a few times. I shattered one of their sledge hammers on my Fiskars maul. I've started to just go to KMS tools for a lot of stuff. It's not that much more expensive in a lot of cases and you get actually good, precise, hardened tools.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Three field campaigns in the Arctic polar deserts taught me Power Fist deadblow hammers are disposable, like a plastic fork.
Broken Hammer by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

On the other hand, where else can I buy a 10-pound deadblow hammer? I've never seen them for sale anywhere else.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I have no problem buying cutting wheels, grinding discs or even files from PA, but even I won't buy their drill bits.

Yeah, don't know if I'd trust the PA stuff not be loaded with carcinogens or other nasty things. The few times I've used crap wheels they wore out ridiculously quickly and at those rates the better quality stuff is probably more cost effective.

I have a psychological love of PA and HF, but I surprisingly rarely actually buy anything from them.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
If there's one thing you don't want to scrimp on, it's high speed cutting discs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nomex posted:

If there's one thing you don't want to scrimp on, it's high speed cutting discs.

I don't buy em because they're cheap, I buy them because they work great.

Also I only get the little 4" ones, not the big chop saw discs. Those PA 4" mini angle grinders make the best small piece cutters. The discs at that size have a ton of fibre reinforcement and plenty of adhesive holding it together.

I wouldn't get the all stone/grit wheels though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone goes through tons of abrasives and wants good stuff I can get Norton for a really good deal.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anybody tried the can tire motomaster tires? From what I'm seeing online is they're just rebrands of the shittier tires from decent brands like Michelin and Goodyear.

I need a/s tires for the beater forester as I don't trust the decade and a half (ish can't remember what the date code was anymore and I don't feel like digging for it) Bridgestone tires for the summer set of wheels. Want as cheap as possible with decent summer performance as I've got a dedicated set of winters for it.

They're 15" wheels, the factory size is 205/70R15, and there isn't a lot on Kijiji that was made in the last decade or not winter tires. Bunch of motomaster tires can be had for ~$350 ish +/- $50 depending on exact tire. Any recommendations for the holy grail of good, cheap, and available in that size?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just put a set of the MotoMaster SE2 tires on the Civic because they were the cheapest thing available (though if I had fiddled around with sizes, I probably could have found something in clearout).

They seem alright but I'm obviously not taking corners hard yet.