Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Hodgson is a good manager and Liverpool fans should just get over it

I'll give you two good reasons why he wasn't
1. Paul Konchesky
2. Christian Poulsen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'll give you two good reasons why he wasn't
1. Paul Konchesky
2. Christian Poulsen

he was a bad liverpool manager for sure but i don't think that makes him a bad manager

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can we keep 'Roy Hodgson's time at Liverpool' out of this thread please, it's boring and no-one wants you all to perpetuate the stereotype of whining Scousers, least of all in this thread.

If we have criticisms of Roy can we keep it to what he's done / doing as England manager.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I have to repeat Wayne is our captain and he has captained the team extremely well in the past two years.

"He took us through a qualifying campaign where we had a complete success with 10 wins out out 10. It doesn't please me too much that it is suggested now that the moment he is injured and doesn't play he gets jettisoned in some way. He doesn't deserve that."

"When he comes back and is fit again he is going to be putting enormous pressure on these players, just like these players will be putting enormous pressure on him - and that is the situation we are looking forward to."

Whilst I am worried that Rooney will walk straight back into the squad when he is fit, it does feel good that we have genuine competition for places which is going to hopefully result in everyone upping their game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35908204

"Dele's performance against France in November was a man-of-the-match performance as well," said Hodgson.

"He was fantastic in that game and if anything it has pleased me even more that he has come out and done exactly the same again, and what is more he has done it in perhaps even more difficult circumstances.

"At the moment, all you can see with Dele is a very, very bright future. It is up to him and his club but he has got to make certain he doesn't think 'I am the complete and finished article'. You cannot be the complete and finished article at 19 - not if we are talking about winning tournaments.

"You need a little bit more experience and games behind you. I'm not trying to detract from his performance. We thought he was excellent from the first minute to the last. He is getting a lot of praise and I hope he enjoys it because he truly deserves it."

The emergence of a crop of exciting young players, and the brand of football they produce, has led to suggestions that Hodgson is altering his approach to the game.

The 68-year-old denies that is the case.

"No, not at all," said Hodgson. "Unfortunately - and I don't know when I got it - but at some stage I was told I'm conservative in some way and that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

"I don't have it in Italy, I don't have it in Switzerland, just in England. I believe that is what is said. It is not true in my opinion and certainly I have never felt that way.

"I have worked for one or two teams, of course, where we have been nowhere near as good as the opposition and we have been put onto the back foot.

"But whenever I have had the team that has had the ability to take control of the game, take the initiative and take the game to the opposition, all of my teams have done that."

He added: "You can't disprove what people say or think about you, you can only do your work and hope the work you do with the players will give some sort of reward or success.

"Then people can have their opinions. It has never bothered me at all - I haven't started thinking 'someone said that, I better do something different'.

"I think I have been, not quite a model of consistency throughout the 40 years, but there haven't been many ups and downs or twists and turns.

"I believe in playing football, I believe in taking the initiative and you can only win things if you have a team who can take the game to the opposition. It is difficult to win things in the long term if you go on the back foot."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tony Pulis wouldn't look conservative in Italy, Roy.

He'd also win the league every year with ease.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

he was a bad liverpool manager for sure but i don't think that makes him a bad manager

Yeah I don't think he's a terrible manager but he's really not very good. Just wait till he throws Rooney back in the team at the cost of one of the three strikers in the team that are better.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'll wait to judge Roy on whether he lets Rooney play again.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Hodgson chose his words carefully and the latest performance has at least made it socially tenable to play the youth.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Rooney will start because not playing your Big Name is commercial suicide

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005
Definitely bin Rooney, look how well united have been doing without him, kane and vardy will definitely score many goals like that in a competitive game yessir

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Kane and Vardy keep scoring during these friendlies it's going to be harder and harder for Rooney to walk back into the starting line up.

Also he's not actually recovered yet, this is all predicated him actually being fit.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brighterday posted:

Definitely bin Rooney, look how well united have been doing without him, kane and vardy will definitely score many goals like that in a competitive game yessir

You're right. Can't wait to see Gilardino and Luca Toni up front for Italy because they scored more goals than their current forwards.

Rooney scoring goals against the absolute minnows of Europe isn't that impressive. You think Kane and Vardy wouldn't have scored a bunch had they been selected? Both offer far more than Rooney these days and are actually able to play in a system instead of being woefully undisciplined positionally.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wayne Rooney has scored 6 goals at international tournaments

5 of those were in Euro 2004.

1 of those was at World Cup 2014

His best performance at a tournament was when he was young, since then he has done precisely gently caress all to warrant him waltzing back into the starting team.

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

You're right. Can't wait to see Gilardino and Luca Toni up front for Italy because they scored more goals than their current forwards.

Rooney scoring goals against the absolute minnows of Europe isn't that impressive. You think Kane and Vardy wouldn't have scored a bunch had they been selected? Both offer far more than Rooney these days and are actually able to play in a system instead of being woefully undisciplined positionally.

Rooney is the closest we've got to a playmaker, and no team without a playmaker has ever achieved anything of note. He's had a bad year but he has the highest ceiling of any England player so he has to start as a 10 and we have to hope things click. You leave him out and we will play boring, stodgy, fearful and uncreative football and get thrown out by the first half decent team we meet without them breaking a sweat. I hope I'm wrong but this is all I see.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
England does not have a good team, and their best bet is to gather the players who can sit back and hit the opposition on the counter. Rooney is a bad player who can't help with this, and probably shouldn't be starting even if you want to play a more attractive game. This is because he is bad.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 28, 2016

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Brighterday posted:

Rooney is the closest we've got to a playmaker, and no team without a playmaker has ever achieved anything of note. He's had a bad year but he has the highest ceiling of any England player so he has to start as a 10 and we have to hope things click. You leave him out and we will play boring, stodgy, fearful and uncreative football and get thrown out by the first half decent team we meet without them breaking a sweat. I hope I'm wrong but this is all I see.

someone post that clip of rooney passing it to absolutely loving no one.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Brighterday posted:

This is all very wrong

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Imagine contemplating including a 2016 Wayne Rooney in your team when you have Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane. Rooney should be the team's brand ambassador.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Brighterday posted:

dele alli is really good

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brighterday posted:

This is so wrong I'm tempted to say wrong thread.

Was the last time you saw Rooney play in 2004?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

JFairfax posted:

Wayne Rooney has scored 6 goals at international tournaments

5 of those were in Euro 2004.

1 of those was at World Cup 2014

His best performance at a tournament was when he was young, since then he has done precisely gently caress all to warrant him waltzing back into the starting team.

I am in agreeance with you, but he scored one at Euro 2012.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Brighterday posted:

Kane and vardy have been scoring goals in competitive games all season

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Something I found out during the rugby world cup, when England got knocked out in the group stages while playing in Twickenham: I live vicariously through crushed hopes of the English.

I guess what I'm saying is #Rooney2016

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
you could put rooney in goal and wed still win the thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

dele alli is really good

He's a dirty little oval office and it'll be trouble when fussy continental refs start watching him. Right now though it's still pretty funny.

Nailed on for a Beckham villain moment this summer.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does the general public still care enough about England for something like that to get blown way out of proportion again?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lol if you don't think everyone else will be played out of position to accommodate Rooney passing to absolutely no-one and skying the ball from outside the box.

That being said, no idea who would be captain in his place. Hart I guess? But there's no guarantee he plays.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
so is Roy going to start vardy and drinkwater tomo

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
here's the bbc's starting xi from five months ago. not much I'd change there tbh

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

I've seen nothing that would convince me that Phil McNulty has ever seen a game of football in his life.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

britishbornandbread posted:

I am in agreeance with you, but he scored one at Euro 2012.

true, but it was a penalty in a shoot out... so does that count?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JFairfax posted:

He scored against Ukraine in the group stage.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

JFairfax posted:

Winner against Ukraine mate.

Thing is, he's truly only had one shocker of a tournament, that was 2010. He was injured 2006, 2012 had two games and did reasonably in both of them and I thought he played well in the two meaningful games in 2014. But he has not excelled and been world class since 2004, and his lack of tournament goals before 2012 was an albatross that made him try too hard. If i remember correctly he had a load of chances against Uruguay before scoring the equaliser.

On current form and fitness he can't be near the team, but he should be on the bench and there with the squad as captain with his experience. He CAN offer something but there are others in that squad who can do his on the pitch role as well as he can, if not better.

I reckon Roy might fancy the 442 diamond in the summer with Kane and Vardy up top, I reckon that could have potential.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

sassassin posted:

He's a dirty little oval office and it'll be trouble when fussy continental refs start watching him. Right now though it's still pretty funny.

Nailed on for a Beckham villain moment this summer.

you're probably right lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I remember that goal. rooney was leaning against the post smoking when the ball bounced off his tummy and went in. gazza did the same in 96 against Germany but missed bexause he was in better shape

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Yeah the Ukrainian keeper let a gerrard shot under him, it popped up into the air and Rooney nodded it in. It was the easiest goal he will ever score.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnig posted:

He scored against Ukraine in the group stage.

Welp, shows what l know

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The experienced head I'd want back in the side is Terry. Racism be damned.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Thing is, he's truly only had one shocker of a tournament, that was 2010. He was injured 2006, 2012 had two games and did reasonably in both of them and I thought he played well in the two meaningful games in 2014. But he has not excelled and been world class since 2004, and his lack of tournament goals before 2012 was an albatross that made him try too hard. If i remember correctly he had a load of chances against Uruguay before scoring the equaliser.

On current form and fitness he can't be near the team, but he should be on the bench and there with the squad as captain with his experience. He CAN offer something but there are others in that squad who can do his on the pitch role as well as he can, if not better.

I reckon Roy might fancy the 442 diamond in the summer with Kane and Vardy up top, I reckon that could have potential.

holy poo poo a nuanced and considered opinion

burn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The captain should spend every minute of playing time on the bench?

• Locked thread