Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

mallratcal posted:

That son of a bitch brought the war to us!

Yes, that's a line from a crazy character who doesn't properly understand that Superman didn't bring the war to earth. The actual enemies of Earth brought the war to Earth. Superman defended the Earth. His sane supporters understand this.

boom boom boom posted:

There is nothing more trustworthy than a man pointing a gun at you who hasn't actually shot you yet.

When it's Superman, you know he's not going to shoot. He's Superman. If there was a rational threat, it wouldn't be Superman. The first movie proved this, the second one reminded this.

Steve2911 posted:

What in the gently caress? You could kill anyone in the world whenever you want, but (presumably) you haven't yet. That doesn't mean I should trust that you never will. Especially if you have laser eyes.

You can't trust me at the level that's implicit with Superman. Trusting Superman is baked into the character. A character flaw is Not Trusting Superman. Bruce has that flaw, and corrects it in the end, as does the rest of the world following Superman's death. Lex has that, and does not.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

A person with laser eyes at their beck and call is the kind of person who could've burned the planet to a lump of iron a thousand times over, but hasn't. If that's not reason enough to trust him, I don't know what is.

Okay, I was on the fence but this has got to be a wind up there's no way in hell you're this dense, and can still use a computer.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, that's a line from a crazy character who doesn't properly understand that Superman didn't bring the war to earth. The actual enemies of Earth brought the war to Earth. Superman defended the Earth. His sane supporters understand this.

I AM THE NIGHT!

RACHEL!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

When it's Superman, you know he's not going to shoot. He's Superman. If there was a rational threat, it wouldn't be Superman. The first movie proved this, the second one reminded this.

While I wasn't counting or keeping score, Superman definitely, willingly kills at least one human in this movie that he didn't have to kill.

MisterBibs posted:

You can't trust me at the level that's implicit with Superman. Trusting Superman is baked into the character. A character flaw is Not Trusting Superman. Bruce has that flaw, and corrects it in the end, as does the rest of the world following Superman's death. Lex has that, and does not.

Again, your point is that it's true because the movie says it's true.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Again, your point is that it's true because the movie says it's true.

It's always been true, though. The fact that the movie gets it right is just a added bonus.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Superman must be trusted because he's Superman? What a Mary Sue.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

It's always been true, though. The fact that the movie gets it right is just a added bonus.

I guess the movie's doing the same thing the recent Bond movies have been doing then, but doing an even worse job of it.

'Does the 00 program have a place in modern society? Yep, shut up and keep buying the box sets'.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not afraid of Superman or Batman. Why? Because they're not real. Nerds.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Batman is real I saw him

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lady Naga posted:

Batman is real I saw him

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

batman is real fat more like

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NecroMonster posted:

batman is real fat more like

We've got fatter ones

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He's hungry for justice.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, that's a line from a crazy character who doesn't properly understand that Mr Bibs didn't bring the war to earth. The actual enemies of Earth brought the war to Earth. Mr Bibs defended the Earth. His sane supporters understand this.

When it's Mr Bibs, you know he's not going to shoot. He's Mr Bibs. If there was a rational threat, it wouldn't be Mr Bibs. The first movie proved this, the second one reminded this.

You can't trust me at the level that's implicit with Mr Bibs. Trusting Mr Bibs is baked into the character. A character flaw is Not Trusting Mr Bibs. Bruce has that flaw, and corrects it in the end, as does the rest of the world following Mr Bub's death. Lex has that, and does not.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This constant ridiculous tautology that you're posting is getting really old.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If the characters in a Superman movie don't know they're in a Superman movie then that's their fault. It's super obvious. There's a camera, lights, an entire production crew, marks, scripts, a hack sitting in a Director's chair.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

thexerox123 posted:

This constant ridiculous tautology that you're posting is getting really old.

It's the text of the two films, nothing more.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Then you should be able to express it in a way that isn't utterly meaningless.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

No it isn't. Superman being omni-benevolent is the text of the Superman mythos that has existed for many decades in the comics and previous films, true. But these films have been intentionally and blatantly subverting that narrative since frame one of MoS.

This Superman is not a Good Guy. He's a well meaning but mysterious alien from a violent planet who's very presence forces Earthlings into an arena of chaos and destruction they can't possibly fathom.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FrensaGeran posted:

This Superman is not a Good Guy. He's a well meaning but mysterious alien from a violent planet who's very presence forces Earthlings into an arena of chaos and destruction they can't possibly fathom.

I really wish these movies were executed by a competent screenwriter and director, because it's not a bad concept on paper.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

I really wish these movies were executed by a competent screenwriter and director, because it's not a bad concept on paper.

Then you're in luck, you can watch the Day the Earth Stood Still. Its the exact same film even down to the hamfisted Christian themes, only competently depicted. There's even a monster with eye lasers.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It is unfortunate that the movie sucked because it had some interesting ideas

But dangit it was 2.5 hours of boring poo poo

Eat poo poo Zach Snyder you hack

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

thexerox123 posted:

Would if I could, but I'm constrained by the subject matter. It's Superman, after all, the second in two Superman movies that make it clear that Superman is... well, Superman.

FrensaGeran posted:

But these films have been intentionally and blatantly subverting that narrative since frame one of MoS. This Superman is not a Good Guy. He's a well meaning but mysterious alien from a violent planet who's very presence forces Earthlings into an arena of chaos and destruction they can't possibly fathom.

The only people who think that he's not a Good Guy who's presence has forced earth into a chaos of arena and destruction are, in both films, proven entirely wrong. I'm not sure how you can watch the two movies and claim there's any subversion of the central tenet of Superman going on. The cute cheering blonde is right, the Skrillex-looking dude screaming is wrong.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

This would require intelligence.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MisterBibs posted:

The only people who think that he's not a Good Guy who's presence has forced earth into a chaos of arena and destruction are, in both films, proven entirely wrong. I'm not sure how you can watch the two movies and claim there's any subversion of the central tenet of Superman going on. The cute cheering blonde is right, the Skrillex-looking dude screaming is wrong.

The only reason Zod goes to Earth is to follow Superman. If not for Superman's presence, Zod never would've come to earth, and Metropolis wouldn't've been destroyed

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

The only reason Zod goes to Earth is to follow Superman. If not for Superman's presence, Zod never would've come to earth, and Metropolis wouldn't've been destroyed

Uh, if it was Superman's fault that Metropolis was destroyed then he wouldn't be Superman, yet he is clearly wearing the costume and is referred to as Superman, so therefore it isn't his fault.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Zod was the instigating factor in a war being held on Earth. It was Zod's decision to go to Earth to avenge his capture by Jor-El.

One does not blame the fire-fighter for breaking your door down to save your child.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Zod was the instigating factor in a war being held on Earth. It was Zod's decision to go to Earth to avenge his capture by Jor-El.

One does not blame the fire-fighter for breaking your door down to save your child.

You do if the fire was started by a cigarette dropped by the fire fighter. And if the door was three million screaming innocents.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

You do if the fire was started by a cigarette dropped by the fire fighter. And if the door was three million screaming innocents.

No, you blame the enemy alien who came here to terraform the world into something that seven billion people can't live on. There's no logical argument in which Superman is the one not to trust.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh my god don't loving engage with MisterBibs don't do it don't do it stop it stop it

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

There's no logical argument in which Superman is the one not to trust.

Can't trust him to be a good dad.

lfield
May 10, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

No, you blame the enemy alien who came here to terraform the world into something that seven billion people can't live on. There's no logical argument in which Superman is the one not to trust.

No matter what thread I see you post in, you're always, always on the stupider end of a pedantic argument with no real point.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

An impossible position. It's Superman; there is no salient reason to fear him.

You just straight up don't bother paying attention to any of the actual argument in my post, and just grab a single center which you use to repeat your previous statement. You know that's not actually helping your point, right?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

You just straight up don't bother paying attention to any of the actual argument in my post, and just grab a single center which you use to repeat your previous statement. You know that's not actually helping your point, right?

This is MisterBibs, you know replying to him isn't helping your point either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

misterbibs is too stupid to actually read. he won't even read this post. he never adapts his position to points brought up, and often puts words in people's mouths so he can argue against positions he made up, and has not even noticed that he has never convinced anyone of anything.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Again, I repeat: laser eyes.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

oh my god don't loving engage with MisterBibs don't do it don't do it stop it stop it

The Pre Rec chat has learned this. It's actually a little sad to see him try to start up a conversation and get completely ignored.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arguing with MisterBibs is the most fun I can have for free. And it allows me to be right in a debate, which is a rare joy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

"debate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I'm "not bothering to pay attention" to things that fly directly in the face of what two movies have made plainly clear. I don't know why you (or others) came into a Superman film expecting anything short of trusting Superman being an absolute.

If you want to have an actual discussion on the actual movies and their textual statements, I'm down for that. None of this "well, I think the dude who is consistently coded as the hero is secretly not a hero" stuff.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 29, 2016

• Locked thread