Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

we all know the only question that matters to Ive is "is amoled thinner than led?"

the answer is yes, so the iPhone will have one eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You all should install the Booking.com app, it is real great.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:bsdsnype:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

we all know the only question that matters to Ive is "is amoled thinner than led?"

the answer is yes, so the iPhone will have one eventually.

Jony isn't designing them anymore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if the rumor is true i hope they get another samsung division to make another component significantly better than the one samsung electronics gets

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

if the rumor is true i hope they get another samsung division to make another component significantly better than the one samsung electronics gets

chaebols are cool, this weekend I watched a movie made by the same company that makes my favorite chicken marinade

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple subcontracted to another firm to comply with the fbi's order, saving face

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

seems extremely likely

tim reminded us that there was no way apple would break the phone for the fbi at the last conference

which was followed up by an hour later saying the fbi had this mysterious new method

:iiam:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's a good solution

apple gets to save its pissbaby reputation and can continue to whine, while the fbi gets what it wants and moves on from a boring tech debate

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
There was at least one method of bypassing passcode locks in some (default) configurations using Siri and the Clock App that worked in 9.2.1 on like one in ten tries but as far as I know it no longer works in 9.3. It seriously popped up within a week of Apple's first open letter, and I find it hard to believe the FBI wasn't aware of it.

My opinion is that the FBI already had the information they needed and just wanted a giant gaping hole they can insert themselves into any time they want someone's information, without having to keep their finger on the zero-day pulse. I can't think of a better way for the FBI to strong arm Apple than using the "help us or the terrorists win" excuse.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nah, they probably make requests all the time but this was too high profile and caught too much visibility so apple had to do some pr tap dancing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

apple subcontracted to another firm to comply with the fbi's order, saving face

either that or the FBI got an exploit that they will now horde because they don't have a reliable and safe mechanism that only apple could provide.

meanwhile everyone is less secure than before thanks to apple

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

either that or the FBI got an exploit that they will now horde because they don't have a reliable and safe mechanism that only apple could provide.

meanwhile everyone is less secure than before thanks to apple

nah it just means the fbi exploited something on a phone using 3 year old technology and an outdated os that wouldn't work on newer phones to begin with

and the local pd/fbi were dumb enough to lock themselves out of the icloud backups which are not encrypted and a common method for apple to provide data from court orders

now apple can fully encrypt icloud backups and there's no way to get data from more modern devices going forward thanks to the fbi being stupid

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

nah it just means the fbi exploited something on a phone using 3 year old technology and an outdated os that wouldn't work on newer phones to begin with

and the local pd/fbi were dumb enough to lock themselves out of the icloud backups which are not encrypted and a common method for apple to provide data from court orders

now apple can fully encrypt icloud backups and there's no way to get data from more modern devices going forward thanks to the fbi being stupid

yes it seems like the fbi might have won the battle but lost the war here. I also think Apple probably had something to do with this whether directly or indirectly. Stymie is right

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

so what the fbi wore an ugly hat and negged the phone until it felt insecure and unlocked?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's really simple to understand what happened if you just give it some thought

the ideas that the fbi was making some machiavellian play to compromise one particular model of phone and thereby setting an immutable, unchallengegable, masterstroke precedent while apple simultaneously heroically sprung to the defense of the concept of information security all out of a sense of civic duty are both incredible assumptions and gives them both an insane amount of unearned credit

the fbi doesn't have to engage in clandestine legal maneuvering to get what it wants, it's a sledgehammer run by people with sledgehammer mentalities, you either give them what they want or you get smashed

apple isn't some champion of the people, it's a business run by a particularly cutthroat businessman (in that he's currently cutting apple's throat), but not even tim is suicidal enough to abandon the whole north american market to uphold an ill-defined principle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
an ill-defined principle they have never in any previous case upheld, so long as it didn't require additional unpaid work on their part

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically always be suspicious of any analysis that assumes law enforcement competence and business morals (and vice versa, really)

Stymie fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 29, 2016

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Stymie posted:

basically always be suspicious of any analysis that assumes law enforcement competence and business morals (and vice versa, really)

I mean no poo poo, but how do you think the bottom line would be hit if every drug dealer in America found out Apple gave the FBI a back door into their iPhone?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
aren't there like a half dozen known ways you could get into it, i don't see why you'd have to assume that apple had anything to do with it. it could have been a software exploit some russian teens found and wanted to sell the fbi, nand mirroring, decapping the secure enclave , whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's the opposite of occam's razor?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

:tinfoil:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zen death robot posted:

tony's sledgehammer?

i really hope this is a peter gabriel reference

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

republican legislation

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

complete obfuscation and things that make no sense?

radium

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Rube's Goldberg machine?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kwinkles posted:

aren't there like a half dozen known ways you could get into it, i don't see why you'd have to assume that apple had anything to do with it. it could have been a software exploit some russian teens found and wanted to sell the fbi, nand mirroring, decapping the secure enclave , whatever

yeah its a model without a secure enclave. all they have to do is dump the flash/reflash it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i tried using itunes store wishilist to keep track of albums i was interested in but hadnt been released yet but apple deletes items from the wishlist when they \go from preorder to released

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah its a model without a secure enclave. all they have to do is dump the flash/reflash it

then yeah anyone with a nice testbench and capable of buying another iphone with the same nand chips can do nand mirroring and basically make it do save/restore as if you have not guessed the passcode and then try infinite passcodes.

assuming they can re-load it and try a new passcode every ten seconds and the passcode is 4 digit numeric thats only 10,000 passcodes, you can guess all 10,000 in 10*10,000 seconds, which is like 1.1 days. easy peasy.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
revolutionary new idea: they used multiple iphones

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
a second iPhone has hit the tower

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mishaq posted:

The israeli company claims they can open up newer phones with secure enclave no issues.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

"everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler"

e: this assumes most people don't know occam's razor already builds this principle in

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 29, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jenny Agutter posted:

i tried using itunes store wishilist to keep track of albums i was interested in but hadnt been released yet but apple deletes items from the wishlist when they \go from preorder to released

you're holding it wrong

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

passcode was '0000'

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buttcrackmenace posted:

passcode was '0000'
got to be making GBS threads :cripes:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hemick posted:

I mean no poo poo, but how do you think the bottom line would be hit if every drug dealer in America found out Apple gave the FBI a back door into their iPhone?

I think the real fear there wasn't the us government getting access to your iPhones data, but other governments and non-government agents

in order to make sure the public thinks it's data is super safe, they're doing the same thing the census bureau does: make it very difficult (even for law enforcement) to get access to non-anonymous data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mishaq posted:

I read a apple whitepaper saying that icloud backups are encrypted but apple holds a recovery key so they can comply with a court order if needed

• Locked thread