Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

IMO, this is a really bad top-page post.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

This has alot of fog. I like alot of fog. I like this. Alot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It also has trees and rocks so it's basically a slam dunk.

Only thing you could say it's missing is a park bench, which might be in there somewhere we just can't see it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

xzzy posted:

It also has trees and rocks so it's basically a slam dunk.

Only thing you could say it's missing is a park bench, which might be in there somewhere we just can't see it.

If it had an RV, it'd be a real winner.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Same building:

Daytona Beach, FL by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Daytona Beach, FL by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
This park was maintained by the Catholic church next door, but they're running out of money and had to sell it to a charity who's going to build low-income housing there instead.

St. Francis Park by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

On The Lookout by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Thank you guys for the praise but that building is basically cheat mode for photography, as you can see:

Here, have one with mountains and snow and clouds (and little itty people)

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Marrickville by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

:nms: for dead deer?

E: Had it in spoiler tags but that seemed annoying so I just made it a thumbnail. Hope that's ok.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 26, 2016

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Main Moon Chinese Restaurant by TheJeffers, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I like both of these. And also the earlier dead dear.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Fox Glacier by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Fox Glacier by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Waiho River by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Waiho River by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Franz Josef Glacier by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Franz Josef Glacier by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Two from Amager strand:

Two from the metro. Same stairs, but unsure of which I like the best:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The second one has more like to it and doesn't look as processed as the first one imo

First one leads your eye to the top of the stairs, there's just a white blob there, but the second one the bright areas lead you to the people and the life and make a nicer overall scene.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

These are all great, but this one is my favorite. I didn't know NZ could look like that.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Untitled by Peter Crain, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Floating Homes by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

thetzar posted:

I didn't know NZ could look like that.

Me neither, stupid rain... I was completely soaked from a ~20 min walk to that point. Wasn't able to do any hikes in the area :smith: Hobbiton was cloudy for about 95% of the time I was there too

A Hobbit Hole, Hobbiton by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Bag End, Hobbiton by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

The Old Mill, Hobbiton by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How is all that stuff scaled? So humans feel like hobbits, or it humans visiting a hobbit village?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's a set and the normal sized actors had to move around on it. I know when they filmed interior bits with Gandalf they had a seperate scaled down set and cgi'd him in.

E: Apparently the interiors shots are all filmed elsewhere, but there are several shots of the actors out the front door of Bag End and it seems way easier to cgi in a single huge gandalf than a bunch of hobbits/dwarfs

E again:

Or I'm just incredibly wrong

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 28, 2016

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 28, 2016

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

How is all that stuff scaled? So humans feel like hobbits, or it humans visiting a hobbit village?

They vary in size, they're all spread out so a smaller one would not be in the same shoy as a bigger one. It was about 50/50 some doors were about 3ish feet in diameter, the big ones were about 5 1/2 feet

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it's so that in some shots Gandalf would look like a giant person compared to the doors and in others the hobbits would look normal sized compared to the doors.

The amount of perspective distortion you learn about on that tour is super cool. They actually did a fair amount of it with just good photography work rather than CGI. For example, in the scene at the beginning of the movies where Gandalf and Frodo are sitting on the cart chatting, they're actually sitting about five meters apart to give the forced perspective effect that Frodo is tiny compared to Gandalf.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm crushing your head!

widunder
May 2, 2002
Went on a trip to the country side

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

It depends on the size of the chair by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

Internally Chortlin' by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

Bench Peeper by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Doing some night time landscape stuff with Portra 400

Untitled-166 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Untitled-169 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Neat

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Te Henga (Bethells Beach) sunset by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Te Henga (Bethells Beach) by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

O'Neill Bay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

O'Neill Bay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Lake Wainamu Sand Dunes by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Lake Wainamu by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

by Jimbo, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

Yeah, it's so that in some shots Gandalf would look like a giant person compared to the doors and in others the hobbits would look normal sized compared to the doors.

The amount of perspective distortion you learn about on that tour is super cool. They actually did a fair amount of it with just good photography work rather than CGI. For example, in the scene at the beginning of the movies where Gandalf and Frodo are sitting on the cart chatting, they're actually sitting about five meters apart to give the forced perspective effect that Frodo is tiny compared to Gandalf.

Howd they do scenes where gandalfs at the door and bilbo opens it and stuff like that? Did they cover it?

Thats really cool that they even used practical effects for stuff like that

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Howd they do scenes where gandalfs at the door and bilbo opens it and stuff like that? Did they cover it?

Thats really cool that they even used practical effects for stuff like that

Honestly at that point I'd dropped so far behind the rest of the group that if they covered that I didn't hear it at all. I was basically 3-4 minutes behind everyone else by the time we got to Bag End, which is totally at the top of the hill. Maybe neckbeard can answer though.

I can tell you that all the moss on the fences was made by throwing yogurt at it and letting it mould up. On top of trying to use forced perspective instead of CGI as much as possible, they went to an INSANE amount of detail to try and make the whole thing look like an actual village and not just a movie set, like to an extent that almost certainly wouldn't be noticed on screen.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i saw a thing where they built an absolutely huge fake oak tree and then rebuilt it for the hobbit to be smaller and did stuff like building full gardens and leaving them to overgrow for a year to make it look lived in. A crazy amount of effort.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah i saw a thing where they built an absolutely huge fake oak tree and then rebuilt it for the hobbit to be smaller and did stuff like building full gardens and leaving them to overgrow for a year to make it look lived in. A crazy amount of effort.

There were a couple big trees that I had no idea were fake until the tour guide pointed it out. I believe the one behind Bag End was fake. The big oak Party Tree was real; the site was chosen because of it and the lake. Also, despite being situated on a 1250 acre sheep farm, none of the sheep on the farm were used, they imported sheep from the UK because the breed has black faces and look older

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The one behind Bag End was actually based on the real tree, IIRC they actually took a plaster mould of the whole god damned tree one branch at a time and re-built it. Then yeah they re-built a smaller version for the Hobbit since it was 50 years younger.

They didn't kill the real tree either, I think they re-planted it elsewhere on the property.