Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Just wanted to say sorry to everyone that I haven't got the new ATG game going, the weekends been mad so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Shameful.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
You've certainly done a lot of apologizing this weekend.

When I get back from visiting family over Easter I may try and start a few DC PBEM games as well.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
DCB is only 41? There goes all my interest in the game. First I thought it was all wehraboo grogs/neo-nazis playing the game but in 41 really Germany is the only choice.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The soviets had several very interesting counterattacks in '41 like smolensk that very nearly worked. I think turning it into one long retreat is both ahistorical and makes for poor gameplay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dtkozl posted:

The soviets had several very interesting counterattacks in '41 like smolensk that very nearly worked. I think turning it into one long retreat is both ahistorical and makes for poor gameplay.

Smolensk absolutely worked. But again for every Soviet counteroffensive there were 100 failed Soviet counteroffensives. Stalin liked ordering those

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
In my last few PBEMs on both sides, Russia holds its own if not stomps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The problem that most wargames have is their depiction of Barbarossa as one long retreat+encirclement battle, because the simulation of the actual Soviet counterstrokes is both difficult, and can be rationalized away as long as you promise to yourself that you'll let the Soviet get their licks in three-four years later.

Unfortunately this then filters down into the general historical consciousness of people when they think Barbarossa really was just one long retreat+encirclement battle.

DC:Barbarossa lasts until 1942, but also it's arguably one of the more accurate depictions of Barbarossa in wargaming because it actually captures the Soviets being able to fight back.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Phi230 posted:

DCB is only 41? There goes all my interest in the game. First I thought it was all wehraboo grogs/neo-nazis playing the game but in 41 really Germany is the only choice.

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of being the Germans and it seems bad for multiplayer too. "Ooops, I failed my ~Perfect Hitler~ assault on Moscow. Don't really want to sit through your counterattack. New game?

Really kills my interest in the game.

But I just bought it anyway, because I'm in the mood for a decent wargame and I want to reward Matrix for having sales... :lol:

I'll go for it at $35.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Phi230 posted:

Smolensk absolutely worked. But again for every Soviet counteroffensive there were 100 failed Soviet counteroffensives. Stalin liked ordering those

Yeah I think war games just need to get better about what constitutes failure and maybe opening things up for the player a bit. For example in Glantz's second Stalingrad book he makes the case that this failed soviet counterattack on the German units holding the northern flank drew off the air support that was needed for a successful drive on the western banks of the Volga. Something like that in WITE is either impossible or invisible when that exact type of feedback and knowledge would give the game depth and excitement.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

dtkozl posted:

Yeah I think war games just need to get better about what constitutes failure and maybe opening things up for the player a bit. For example in Glantz's second Stalingrad book he makes the case that this failed soviet counterattack on the German units holding the northern flank drew off the air support that was needed for a successful drive on the western banks of the Volga. Something like that in WITE is either impossible or invisible when that exact type of feedback and knowledge would give the game depth and excitement.

The way DC depicts AP and readiness goes a decent way for this though. Russia does have incentive to launch AP and readiness draining attacks even at the expense of men in a lot of situations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dtkozl posted:

That happens when playing WitE though :confused:

You push with your armor or use your aircraft to blast through a defensive line. You focus troops to certain areas for offensive and defensive purposes. Its only invisible if you don't pay attention to your own game. Or fog of war, I guess.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That happens when playing WitE though :confused:

You push with your armor or use your aircraft to blast through a defensive line. You focus troops to certain areas for offensive and defensive purposes. Its only invisible if you don't pay attention to your own game. Or fog of war, I guess.

I have never had to make the choice of using my tac air assets in the defensive of a small front vs offense in the same area. The game does both automatically based on slider positions the effects of which are pretty much invisible.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of being the Germans and it seems bad for multiplayer too. "Ooops, I failed my ~Perfect Hitler~ assault on Moscow. Don't really want to sit through your counterattack. New game?

Really kills my interest in the game.

But I just bought it anyway, because I'm in the mood for a decent wargame and I want to reward Matrix for having sales... :lol:

I'll go for it at $35.

In June you retreat, in July you dig, August you launch spoiling attacks out of forests, September you encircle and destroy Panzer divisions. DC:B is not a game about the Red Army falling back to Moscow and turning into abominable snowmen.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

As my two crushing defeats as the Germans in PBEM have taught me, the Soviets are far from powerless in DC:B. Chump Farts has almost annihilated Army Group Center in our last PBEM

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Screwing around with DC:B now. Still frustrating that I can't do the whole war, but... such is life.

Minimalist counters option looks amazing for keeping track of what unit belongs to what group. Not very pretty, but very useful.

Seems like a huge amount of decisions and stuff to make every turn for the admin stuff. Probably should read the manual and watch the tutorial videos. :lol:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Screwing around with DC:B now. Still frustrating that I can't do the whole war, but... such is life.

Minimalist counters option looks amazing for keeping track of what unit belongs to what group. Not very pretty, but very useful.

Seems like a huge amount of decisions and stuff to make every turn for the admin stuff. Probably should read the manual and watch the tutorial videos. :lol:

Train Nazi? :rolleyes: Lmao get lost nerd.

*five turns later*

OH GOD WHERE ARE MY SUPPLIES TRAIN NAZI WHY!?!?!?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Enrich the Train Nazi, scorn all other men.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Adolph Hitler, 1939

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dandywalken posted:

Adolph Hitler, 1939

Heh. This game is really fuckin' easy so far. :lol: :smug:

Adolph Hiter, 1940

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

In June you retreat, in July you dig, August you launch spoiling attacks out of forests, September you encircle and destroy Panzer divisions. DC:B is not a game about the Red Army falling back to Moscow and turning into abominable snowmen.

Alikchi posted:

As my two crushing defeats as the Germans in PBEM have taught me, the Soviets are far from powerless in DC:B. Chump Farts has almost annihilated Army Group Center in our last PBEM

This is my experience. First game with uPen, he wrecked my overextended panzers which aren't magic and airdroppable forever in this vs War in the East. Second one seems to have fallen through, but I've expended so much pushing forward conservatively that I really can't win.

As for the Alikchi game, I will say that his Schwerpunkt ending up in mud surrounded by fresh, hidden, clear land infantry was bad luck. Still, the Soviets have won/basically won all three of those last games for me.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I added myself to the spreadsheet, I'd love to try my hand at PBEM for Advanced Tactics.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I took the liberty of adding DCB, Revolution under Siege: Gold and Solium Infernum to the spreadsheet :v:

Edit: I am a fool and I bought Sovereignty Crown of Kings with my Easter voucher. May Early Access not disappoint me.

Riso fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 27, 2016

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Picked up Polaris Sector because I'm incapable of not buying any and every space themed game Slitherine/Matrix puts out. It's no Distant Worlds but its a fairly breezy and enjoyable 4x with a somewhat terrible UI and a fun RTS'ey tactical combat system.

You can make the galaxy huge with a bunch of races in it but I find the game shines in a smaller galaxy with only a few other races other than you.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like how 'big' the ships are. Takes a planet 5-6 years to build a corvette, hell yes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baloogan posted:

I like how 'big' the ships are. Takes a planet 5-6 years to build a corvette, hell yes.

I always had a soft spot for the first MOO where you'd assemble multiple stacks of like 37,520 ships each.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Yeah the time scale is kind of fun, a full game goes over a few millenia easily.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Battlefront is so garbage sometimes. I'm trying to reinstall my copy of Strategic Command WWI Breakthrough, the thing gives me unskippable serial number errors with no way to input my serial, and googling reveals that Battlefront's DRM can be triggered by something as simple as using a USB drive, what the hellllll

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Alikchi posted:

Battlefront is so garbage sometimes. I'm trying to reinstall my copy of Strategic Command WWI Breakthrough, the thing gives me unskippable serial number errors with no way to input my serial, and googling reveals that Battlefront's DRM can be triggered by something as simple as using a USB drive, what the hellllll

what are these usbdrives you speak of

you can't use those under Windows 3.1, can you?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wish there was a laid back successor to Empire Deluxe. Maybe a bit more complex, but not at Advanced Tactics level. Just build my tanks and infantries and crash `em together. I'd like a random map wargame, but I don't really enjoy the micro of deciding how many antitank guns to ship out to each unit.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Fintilgin posted:

I wish there was a laid back successor to Empire Deluxe. Maybe a bit more complex, but not at Advanced Tactics level. Just build my tanks and infantries and crash `em together. I'd like a random map wargame, but I don't really enjoy the micro of deciding how many antitank guns to ship out to each unit.

Learning to use the new ToE system takes a bit at first, and honestly I have trouble with it vs. the AI. Specifically having units actually ready for their turn 2 offensives. But once you get your ToE set up and units assigned to a model, its less about assigning specific tanks to specific divisions and more keeping track of how many tanks you still need to build (answer: all the tanks).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm thinking about getting Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition for my casual brainless strategy needs. Any horror stories before I pull the trigger tonight?

I used to play the old version back in the 90s.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fintilgin posted:

I'm thinking about getting Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition for my casual brainless strategy needs. Any horror stories before I pull the trigger tonight?

I used to play the old version back in the 90s.

Just play the old one on the Internet Archive

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Not a bad choice. Didn't know that existed. Kinda cool.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There appears to be no undo button in the ATG editor. Ugh. For those waiting on the new 6P game I'll have it done tomorrow, if you have changed your mind let me know because there's other people keen.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

What about Empires of Steel? http://www.empiresofsteel.com/

It used to be on sale through Battlefront, but apparently not any more. I haven't played it myself, but it always struck me as an Empire type game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
WinSPMBT is the worst wargame I've ever played.

Anyone wanna PBEM?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

WinSPMBT is the worst wargame I've ever played.

The igoyougo system does not do it any favors.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That and interrupts with ATGMs.

Especially interrupts with ATGMs. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

And spending half an hour watching artillery shells land.