Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Air is lava! posted:

The Talos Principle did jumping quite well. If you need to jump for a puzzle, it always fixes where you land, so you don't actually have to aim anything.
And if you are runing around, hunting for easter eggs or try to break puzzles jumping just works like in every other game. But you had the option to play in third person mode, so that makes everything better anyway.

Yeah, that was a smart addition, which I appreciated. I still played in third person mode, but having an indicator about where you would land removed all platforming frustrations (except for when going for the easter eggs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Okay, everybody, is time for part 13! I'm pretty sure we're going to need a couple of pointers after this one, especially at the end(?) of the sound section.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
sound forest: Yes, you can get to the other side of that barricade you raised. You just didn't find the path.
swamp: Take another look at these tutorial puzzles. There's a rule you're ignoring. http://imgur.com/BOGn8mc

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am just a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer and am trying to solve the puzzles along with you, but you might want to keep these times in mind:

8:21

16:19

27:45

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

EllipsisBreak posted:

swamp: Take another look at these tutorial puzzles. There's a rule you're ignoring. http://imgur.com/BOGn8mc

That image is just some stills from your video if you're worried about spoilers. The question you should be asking as you look at it is "Why does the right puzzle solution work?" According to the rules that you currently believe govern the shapes puzzles, you shouldn't have been able to solve that puzzle. So why did it work? Figuring out this will help you understand how the puzzles work in the rest of this section because you need a very firm grasp on how the shapes puzzle mechanics work to solve this area.

As for some non-shapes related help, you kept wondering what to do in the tree temple. Here some advice for puzzles in general: If a puzzle that you've already solved has multiple end points, sometimes you can solve it at a different endpoint to change something about what the puzzle affects. Try looking in and around the temple again and you should find your solution.

If you're still unable to solve the shapes puzzles you're stuck on and would like to leave the Shape Swamp, just re-solve the slow platform puzzle in reverse. This point goes in hand with the point I make in the paragraph right above this one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I couldn't figure out how you so nonchalantly solved the puzzles the same way, because I was shocked to see the solutions (the same ones EllipsisBreak posted). By the end of the video I had a guess as to what will work.

That 'shadow'? with the tree roots is completely mystifying. I hope there's some other clue that hasn't been seen, because if it's just, "guess which of these root patterns works best!" I'd be pretty pissed off.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
This is the first video where I was violently clawing at my monitor and screaming "ITS OVER THERE YOU IDIOTS HOW DO YOU NOT SEE IT!"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Someone said it already. There's a another path where the sound panels are. I would go as far as to say that there is a somewhat large area that you didn't explore at that location.

About the shapes puzzles. For me it was easier to think of them as tetris pieces that may or may not have to be stacked. I think those are the puzzles that I enjoyed the most in the game, even though they gave me a hard time (I was trying to do them all in my mind, and that gets hard for the complex ones).

Also FPzero stresses a good point, albeit I'd prefer it if you had reached that conclusion on your own -- you have seen at least one example of that in the past.

Finally, I know that the slow moving platforms can get frustrating, because I've been there. But, maybe you can figure out why this happens.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

IronSaber posted:

This is the first video where I was violently clawing at my monitor and screaming "ITS OVER THERE YOU IDIOTS HOW DO YOU NOT SEE IT!"

This is the first video where I'm like "You know what I'm glad I didn't get the game now, I would've stopped playing here out of pure puzzle fatigue and I have enough unfinished games on my steam list."

It sounds like puzzle fatigue is starting to hit them too, which is what I'd chalk it up to for missed paths/solutions.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

The monastery is very hard when you don't accidentally finish the first puzzle. The second most annoying thing about the jungle puzzles (apart from the sound) is that you have to walk around a long way to solve the other parts of it.

On the Shape puzzles - a lot of it is about putting pieces in different places. Having physical cut out of shapes does help with this.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Anytime you think "This puzzle HAS to involve ____" you're headed to the danger zone. It definitely doesn't necessarily involve what you're thinking, and some of the harder ones might involve elements you don't see right away.

Also, it seems like you might be kind of shaky on the layout of the island in general. Maybe try looking at the boat map to figure out where areas are in relation to each other. You don't necessarily have to take the boat everywhere but it helps to visualize.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 23, 2016

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Kangra posted:

I couldn't figure out how you so nonchalantly solved the puzzles the same way, because I was shocked to see the solutions (the same ones EllipsisBreak posted).

Yeah, when the puzzles in the image were solved in rapid succession I just went "wait what" at the first one and "WAIT WHAT" at the second, and had to pause the video to go back and work out what was at play there, because they both broke elements of how I'd understood those puzzles to work up to that point.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, screenshots from our own videos are completely fine. It's like we're all playing together, but you understand more than we do!

Kangra posted:

I couldn't figure out how you so nonchalantly solved the puzzles the same way, because I was shocked to see the solutions (the same ones EllipsisBreak posted). By the end of the video I had a guess as to what will work.

Yeah, as we were doing those, I was thrown off by how we were able to just rocket through them. It felt kind of awesome.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418950/

Just saw this on Steam, more Dreadout is out now!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418950/

Just saw this on Steam, more Dreadout is out now!

Holy crap, thanks for the link! :-D I just picked it up.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, *HOLY CRAP WE SCREWED UP AND WE'RE FIXING THINGS* We get quite a bit done in this one, thanks to the reminders of some of the posters here.

EDIT: There was a part of the video that absolutely should have been cut; we'll be reuploading tomorrow. Sorry about that, everyone!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 26, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Okay, part 15 is up! We get quite a bit done in this one, thanks to the reminders of some of the posters here.

Shouldn't that be part 14?

Oh, also, while watching, I think I saw something on the rotating platform in the color ponds. You kept trying to make a "T" shape that used 4 blocks including the blue color block. But the shape indicated in the middle was a 3 block "L" shape. Could that be why it didn't work? Maybe instead go around the outside left edge, go right 2 at the blue block, up one, left one, up one, left one and up to the exit?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 26, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So of all the things to leave in, why the phone call?

Also, why didn't you isolate the one-blocks before building the bridge? Looks like that totally would have worked.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 26, 2016

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Video is marked as private for me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, people, we screwed up. That video had a segment that should have been cut, since it was an interruption while we were recording. We'll be reuploading tomorrow morning (Amy's editing it right now, but we won't have a good Internet connection until the morning) and for now, I've made the current upload private. We're so sorry about that. :-(

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 26, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The gate leading back to the blue swamp and the generally slow speed of the bridges is really making me wonder if this is some elaborate lock-and-dam system or something.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy poo poo, people, we screwed up. That video had a segment that should have been cut, since it was an interruption while we were recording. We'll be reuploading tomorrow morning (Amy's editing it right now, but we won't have a good Internet connection until the morning) and for now, I've made the current upload private. We're so sorry about that. :-(

No worries. It happens.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Welp, I'm replaying this game to get all the environmental puzzles that I keep spying in this LP. I have to say, I found more than a handful.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy poo poo, people, we screwed up. We're so sorry about that. :-(

You'll be receiving a review from the LP Board about this, and they won't be happy.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, after a technical difficulty, we're back with part 14! Thanks to Bobbin for pointing that out.

IronSaber posted:

Welp, I'm replaying this game to get all the environmental puzzles that I keep spying in this LP. I have to say, I found more than a handful.

Yeah, if we had known about the environmental stuff from the beginning, we'd have way more now. I'd even argue that those are the real meat of the game in the end.

Ulvirich posted:

You'll be receiving a review from the LP Board about this, and they won't be happy.

drat it, I forgot about the Board!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

on the coloured one you were having problems with.

Amy in the video posted:

Look it is drawing the way the Bridge structures are.

that should be able to help solve it.

I have never figured out how to do the bamboo section without just wandering around and getting to the laser by accident like you did.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm watching when you are at the rotating L shaped bridge and I'm yelling about Remember Colored Squares? :argh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Quote isn't edit

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need to satisfy every rule in every puzzle in the game. There is never a time where ignoring a piece of a puzzle will work, and if it does, it means you don't fully understand the rule.

Any puzzle with multiple mutually exclusive effects has more than one valid solved state.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slaan posted:

I'm watching when you are at the rotating L shaped bridge and I'm yelling about Remember Colored Squares? :argh:

Except the tetrad squares don't follow that rule, it's the large rounded squared. On the L map you NEED to connect the L to squares of two other different colors.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Shaded Spriter posted:

I have never figured out how to do the bamboo section without just wandering around and getting to the laser by accident like you did.

Might be hard to hear without headphones but there's a humming noise that gets louder in the bamboo forest the closer you get to the laser

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Shaded Spriter posted:

on the coloured one you were having problems with.
I spotted the laser from up high, then went for a look; might not have found it otherwise.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's just a maze so you could find it by hugging the left.

EDIT. These colors are just for orientation. Without them it would be annyoing to find the right solution.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2016

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Except the tetrad squares don't follow that rule, it's the large rounded squared. On the L map you NEED to connect the L to squares of two other different colors.

Yeah, that was confusing me too. I'd really expected the "different colors must be seperated" thing to remain in play there. Guess we'll see what's up with that in further puzzles?

On that puzzle though, you guys kept drawing the L shape, and just ignoring the remaining two single blocks. You've gotta cut them out, too (I'm guessing)!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Find a cluster of large rocks right near the river bridge to the monastery.

Stand in them.

Look around.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
So with what you know now, can you solve this puzzle from part 5?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The bridge L puzzle seemed obvious to me. Connect the bridge to where you want to go, and then isolate the other two blocks in a single square of their own each. You keep thinking you have to connect single squares to other groups of Tetris blocks, forgetting that the outside wall counts too.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm still catching up with this thread but this game is brilliant. I've spent a fair few hours trying to pull apart the puzzles and find the rules hidden behind them. I love hearing you argue with yourselves over what you're actually meant to do, and watching you guys just draw one straight line and declare "I DID IT" (regardless of what the puzzle says) never ceases to amuse me. I must admit I have frequently done both those things out of sheer desperation. This game is good for desperation. So far I've done all the lasers apart from the Greenhouse, so I'm stuck exactly where you guys are at the end of episode "I like pizza" and now I'm going to have to either beat this poo poo or stop watching the LP. I can't even read the thread from that point because I am unable to not read spoilers. Yeeeeeah. which makes it really annoying because I quite want to see how you guys deal with some of the other amazing stupid stuff you have to pick up on.

That's one of the great things about how this game works. It allows you to make connections yourself and frequently tests you on the methods you use, but you're free to try whatever you want. And it makes discussing the game really interesting because different people have issues with different things, and start from different assumptions. Some people tell me Tetris is something they immediately got, but I just couldn't get them to work. And when I actually got started with them, I really didn't understand how they were meant to interact when they were too close together. It was actually the yellow Tetris bridge in town that taught me how that worked, I would never have got that mechanic from the tutorials in the swamp. On the other hand, the glare puzzles in the Ruins were mostly a breeze for me up until the very last few water-based ones. It's really because I found this area right at the start, immediately after finishing the Symmetry section, still buzzing because I was on a roll having found all the puzzles on the front of the Ruins, and that good mood kept me going right through it.

StarkRavingMad posted:

The best part of watching Witness let's plays is seeing people learn the wrong lesson from something and silently screaming. Not that I didn't make several of the same errors myself.
Throughout the LP I've had many moments where I've just wished you'd get it, just hoped so hard that you'd notice what the missing link was, even though I know shouting answers at the screen isn't going to affect a video you guys recorded a month ago. Unless it somehow does, in which case you're welcome.

Glazius posted:

It looks like the light coming through the workshop roof is trying to create a path too. So easy to see patterns in dots and lines.
I'm glad you guys found this. I actually managed to find one right by the start of the game (Yeah they are goddamn everywhere). After you've found a few in particularly ludicrous places you start seeing them everywhere and it drives you mad, it becomes a loving white whale. I've now filled out entire obelisks, which is driving me insane, I honestly started trying to figure out the right angle for a line puzzle that was in the countryside of Just Cause 3. Difficult to explain that one to my flatmate.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Honestly, I've left lots of environmental puzzles for the... final-final part of the game, and I looked so hard for some of them (and for quite a long time), that I started searching and seeing puzzle patterns in real life.

Ofcourse, that'd probably also be due to being sleep deprived from playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Found my my first env puzzle on the bottle of the last laser I completed and had a 'holy poo poo!' moment. I'd noticed them all over and tried clicking a few of them, but never had them lined up right - thought they were only artistic integration.

• Locked thread