Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can I contribute code to the project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

pokeyman posted:

neonburzt posted:

I've started getting '403(Forbidden) Code -1011' in the app about a day ago. Granted, I'm currently in Singapore and whenever the forum images aren't loading on my computer I'd head to fi.somethingawful.com and prove that I'm a human.

Is there a way I could do this while inside the app? I tried going to the verification page through mobile safari but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the app. In the meantime, I'm just browsing SA in mobile safari which is not as good an experience as the Awful app.

That's a good idea, I'll put it on the list!

Thanks for putting it on the list. Much appreciated.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

Still want Awful for Mac.

It should be possible to tease apart any UIKit dependencies in non-UI code pretty easily, when I looked a couple years ago the only one I found was triggering the network spinner. The use of CocoaPods seems to make it harder to just start trying to build everything for Mac though.

(I'm not really allowed to do the work myself and contribute it back, all I can do is provide guidance.)

I'd be kind of interested in porting it at some point, but I've found AppKit kind of a slog to learn.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

UIApplication posted:

Can I contribute code to the project?

You can do pull requests now if you don't already have write permissions from pokeyman

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

good god im so excited for the smiley loading thing to be fixed

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Every thread is completely blank for me in the beta that just got pushed… so that's fun

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Same here.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Can also confirm this issue.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Diabolik fixed my bone head mistake. Hopefully pokeyman will reissue soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

Diabolik fixed my bone head mistake. Hopefully pokeyman will reissue soon.

Looks like we're good to go.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I change the app ID and self sign it to a device (so I can have the prod version of the app installed as well) will that gently caress anything up

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
I'm still on 1.11.9. Is there any way to try out the latest version without overwriting my current install?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

UIApplication posted:

If I change the app ID and self sign it to a device (so I can have the prod version of the app installed as well) will that gently caress anything up

No as long as you don't try to commit it back to the repo

I basically have permanently unstated changes I just stash and reapply every time there are changes to pull

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Veinless posted:

I'm still on 1.11.9. Is there any way to try out the latest version without overwriting my current install?

Not easily. If you have a Mac you can download the code, change the bundle identifier, then compile it yourself. Alternately you can back up your iOS device then restore it if needed.

If your current setup suits your needs then I doubt you'll find anything mind blowing in the latest version.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Bug report: in other apps (e.g. Messages) the URL protocol "awfulhttps" isn't detected as an Awful app link the way "awfulhttp" is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Abjad Soup posted:

Bug report: in other apps (e.g. Messages) the URL protocol "awfulhttps" isn't detected as an Awful app link the way "awfulhttp" is.

I'll fix this this evening.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Wooooo ^^^

Hey also are Vimeo video tags supposed to do anything but appear as a big blank space in a post?

e.g. this recent post from the Making Games Megathread:

Hammer Bro. posted:

Here's the culmination of my selective interpretation from all that platformer feedback:

https://vimeo.com/160794701

Selective acceleration prevents wall climbing while maintaining an adequately natural feel. Unless you want to get really technical with selective sprinting, which I demonstrate is possible but also difficult.

Took me an entire day to figure out why Slide Kicking wouldn't transition into Falling when I did it off the vertical block; it just continued at a fast and funny diagonal.

Fixed that bug then immediately re-implemented the behavior but deliberately :smuggo:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Abjad Soup posted:

Wooooo ^^^

Hey also are Vimeo video tags supposed to do anything but appear as a big blank space in a post?

That works for me in Chrome on Windows, but the vimeo div is a swf and if you're blocking flash then it won't load

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Abjad Soup posted:

Wooooo ^^^

Do you have a screenshot? All I see is

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oops, I thought this was the technical thread and not the iOS thread. Here's a couple screenshots, but it's still probably due to the vimeo embed using flash.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

anthonypants posted:

Oops, I thought this was the technical thread and not the iOS thread. Here's a couple screenshots, but it's still probably due to the vimeo embed using flash.

Yeah this is what I see as well. I'd fully believe that Vimeo is flash-default for embedded and that's the source of the empty space I've been seeing, though I know they have at least some kind of HTML5 that I've seen on the desktop.

How and/or why do you see that "//vimeo/someid" link, carry on then?
(Note: I've got App Store version of Awful which looks like v3.11, and iOS 9.3 on an iPhone 6+)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Abjad Soup posted:

Yeah this is what I see as well. I'd fully believe that Vimeo is flash-default for embedded and that's the source of the empty space I've been seeing, though I know they have at least some kind of HTML5 that I've seen on the desktop.

How and/or why do you see that "//vimeo/someid" link, carry on then?
(Note: I've got App Store version of Awful which looks like v3.11, and iOS 9.3 on an iPhone 6+)

Vimeo's original, deprecated embed code uses Flash, but there's a newer one that embeds in its own iframe. It hasn't made it into the forums yet, but that's okay because zen death robot is busy doing more important things.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The app has code that's supposed to convert the Flash-based embeds to the non-Flash embeds, but I guess that must have broken at some point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Awful just started crashing on the bookmarks screen for me. Deleting and reinstalling made it stop crashing on launch, but as soon as I logged in and went to my bookmarks screen, instant crashes again

I'm on whatever the latest version compatible with iOS 8.x is (I refuse to go to iOS 9 til they bring back two-finger-tap-to-select-paragraph)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Awful just started crashing on the bookmarks screen for me. Deleting and reinstalling made it stop crashing on launch, but as soon as I logged in and went to my bookmarks screen, instant crashes again

I'm on whatever the latest version compatible with iOS 8.x is (I refuse to go to iOS 9 til they bring back two-finger-tap-to-select-paragraph)

Same here, iPad Pro 12" on 9.3

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm having this problem as well, 9.3 6S Plus

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jivjov posted:

This is happening to me too. After logging in/out, the thread tags don't load on the bookmarks page, and trying to enter any thread causes a crash. Reinstalling the app doesn't help and I've rebooting my iPhone. 6 on 9.3.

Edit: trying to enter a subforum from the main forum list also causes a crash.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 31, 2016

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Same for me as well, 6s+ on 9.3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

4S, 9.3 and I'm getting this too, trying to enter any thread from bookmarks crashes it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Same on iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.3, current version of app

Aztech
May 30, 2009

The app is crashing when we try and open any forum or the settings page for myself and my wife. Iphone 6 and 6S.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Not just from bookmarks, the crashes seem to happen when loading a tread from anywhere for me

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's just straight crashing when I try to view a thread on my iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 2, both running 9.3

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm on a 6S+ and this has started happening to me as well. Even tried reinstalling the app. Crash any time I try to load a thread, or go into settings or try to view the forums list.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The settings page crashes even in airplane mode. On the other hand trying to open a thread in airplane mode however works fine with a 1099 "internet connection appears to be offline" error but no crash. Turning airplane off and trying to refresh or change page however is a crash.

I wonder what forums change caused this one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's crashing while scraping something with the avatar image. I'm looking into what it's expecting and not getting...

e: and yeah, reinstalling won't fix anything. Something changed in the forums themselves.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't they just change a bunch of avatar locations for the stupid newbies?

I wonder if that's part of the excitement

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Came here to report my app making GBS threads itself, clearly I am not alone. Carry on!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It crashes if you try to load the Settings menu, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Okay, it's happening because avatar images are now being referenced by a data-cfsrc attribute (research indicates this has to do with cloudflare) if you have javascript enabled (Awful's scraper does) so it's not finding any element in the avatar with a src attribute and dying. I'm adding a check that looks for the data-cfsrc attribute but should be fine if the avatars go back to only having src attributes. If this doesn't change on us again, how soon can we have an update out, pokey man?

btw this breaks the settings because that view has YOUR avatar in it.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread