Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

uwaeve posted:

All I can think of are those broad orchid petals. I'll ask my mother in law when we go over there for Easter dinner. She's like grand wizard of the garden club.

e: wife piped up with giant calla lilies.

Seconding some kind of orchid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe a hibiscus?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

504 posted:

I'm looking for a specific episode of the TV series "The walking dead"

I know its a recent series, but all I know about it is it ends with a shot of a wall that is moving slightly suggesting it is failing, if I remember right the wall is a green color but take that with a grain of salt, the wall is surrounding a town where the heroes are living and recently have led a large group of zombies away from the town by making them follow them in cars.

That was the last mid season finale, Season 6 Episode 8.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
If someone is imprisoned and has the opportunity to walk around outside three times a week, can he simply decline to go?

If someone is in a hospital, can he decline to receive visitors? What about a closed mental institution?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

NonzeroCircle posted:

That was the last mid season finale, Season 6 Episode 8.

Thank you.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

If someone is imprisoned and has the opportunity to walk around outside three times a week, can he simply decline to go?

If someone is in a hospital, can he decline to receive visitors? What about a closed mental institution?

I worked in a mental institution and the patients can refuse visitors, generally this didn't happen but it wasn't unheard of for a patient to request that no one be told they were there.

My Institution covered all types of patients, from "Locked up for public safety" to "Stay here and chill for a week but you can leave whenever". The patients that had leave to walk outside could decline it but very very rarely did, and if they did they would be "encouraged" and could lose privileges if they simply refused outings to be lazy.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Does anybody know how to detach a fluorescent light bulb from this type of light fixture? It's making a super annoying sound and I want to replace it.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Does anybody know how to detach a fluorescent light bulb from this type of light fixture? It's making a super annoying sound and I want to replace it.

Typically you rotate the florescent light around the long axis. You have to use two hands to take it out sometimes because you don't want the glass doing the rotational torque force very much.

That said, I can't really see much in this photo.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

c0ldfuse posted:

I want to find the vintage video intermixed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT7gyy4tyxY

Any ideas how I'd find it? I don't really know how to go about it because a still won't likely pick up a similar image on google image search which was my first idea.

Can anyone give me help on this plz? I have no idea how to approach this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

c0ldfuse posted:

Can anyone give me help on this plz? I have no idea how to approach this.

I would start by looking up and then contacting the people who host or used to host Worldwide Discotheque at Clubhouse Jager in Minneapolis MN.

If you don't know how to look up or contact those people, try asking the management at Clubhouse Jager, you will find their phone number on the bar's web site.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I'm really surprised the answer to this question wasn't readily available on google, but maybe I just worded my search wrong:

I've seen a few anime characters slide their finger under their nose, like they were wiping snot or something, and it's always done when they're being cocky/taunting someone else.

Is this a well known gesture in Japan? If so, what is the exact meaning/origin of it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ron Don Volante posted:

Are those two florescent tubes connected at the top like a u shape? If so that's a G24 socket and you just pull the bulb straight out, don't twist it.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Are those two florescent tubes connected at the top like a u shape? If so that's a G24 socket and you just pull the bulb straight out, don't twist it.

Easier than I thought - thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok this is a pretty stupid question i admit so be nice:

Am I correct in assuming, when we see photographs of outer planets such as Neptune or former-plant Pluto, that either these images have had their brightness increased artificially, or the craft taking pictures of them is using very long exposures or in some other way increasing the amount of light?

i.e. if we were to actually visit these planets in a spaceship they would look much darker (than, say, Earth) due to being that much further away from the sun? or am I just underestimating how powerful our sun is out there..

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Earwicker posted:

Am I correct in assuming, when we see photographs of outer planets such as Neptune or former-plant Pluto, that either these images have had their brightness increased artificially, or the craft taking pictures of them is using very long exposures or in some other way increasing the amount of light?

i.e. if we were to actually visit these planets in a spaceship they would look much darker (than, say, Earth) due to being that much further away from the sun? or am I just underestimating how powerful our sun is out there..

Many of them have the brightness increased, many don't. One thing to keep in mind is that the images are often composites of many different pictures taken with different filters on, because of the way deep solar system probes are constructed - for example some craft can only actually capture in grayscale, but have filters applied in front of the camera to do the same scene with many different colors, so you can reconstruct the true color.

If you're interested in what the raw image data coming from the probes tends to look like before any processing, most spac emissions have the raw data available online: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/ As you can see, most of the images are grayscale.

That particular set is from the same probe that came up with this image of Saturn after processing was applied:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's a good way to convert MKV to MP4?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

If I remember correctly, VLC can handle that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

fishmech posted:

If you're interested in what the raw image data coming from the probes tends to look like before any processing, most spac emissions have the raw data available online: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/ As you can see, most of the images are grayscale.

This is very cool, thanks!

However even with these raw images, isn't there something the craft could be doing in terms of exposure etc. in order to increase lightness? I guess what I'm getting at is - what would these planets look like as seen from orbit with a naked human eye. let's say Neptune for example since it's pretty far out there - if you were orbiting Neptune and on the sunnier side of that orbit would you see the big blue ball or would you just see a huge darkish patch of space with no stars?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

kedo posted:

If I remember correctly, VLC can handle that.

The latest VLC version's conversion doesn't work.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

The latest VLC version's conversion doesn't work.

I use Handbrake.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

If you are looking to put it on an iOS device directly, Waltr is amazing.

If not then use Handbrake.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I live on a corner lot and my mailbox isn't on the street I legally live on. Is there a way to change my address so people stop leaving my mail at other peoples' houses? USA USA USA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Earwicker posted:

However even with these raw images, isn't there something the craft could be doing in terms of exposure etc. in order to increase lightness? I guess what I'm getting at is - what would these planets look like as seen from orbit with a naked human eye. let's say Neptune for example since it's pretty far out there - if you were orbiting Neptune and on the sunnier side of that orbit would you see the big blue ball or would you just see a huge darkish patch of space with no stars?

Even with inverse square law, the human eye is good at adjusting for varying light levels, so even if those planets were only as bright as a dimly lit restaurant they'd still stand out like a beacon against the background sky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Earwicker posted:

Well, we've been able to see the colors of planets from earth-based optical telescopes over time. So it seems unlikely that they would just be dark to the naked eye once you're out in like orbit distance. A rule of thumb to use is that if a space object is bright enough to look bright to the naked eye, a normal picture of the object won't be exposed long enough for the various stars to also show up. If you see a lot of stars around it however, it means a long exposure was needed to show it (think of how a lot of pictures taken on the moon have exposures so short you can barely see the stars).

Anyway for that particular spacecraft, the camera shots they've done have had exposure times ranging in 63 steps from 5 milliseconds to 20 minutes long - though they tend to avoid the longer ones because of limitations in data storage/transmission. But they do need to use the very long exposure for some things, like investigating the very dim very small moons and moon-like objects around the planet.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I live on a corner lot and my mailbox isn't on the street I legally live on. Is there a way to change my address so people stop leaving my mail at other peoples' houses? USA USA USA

Wouldn't it be easier to just move your mailbox?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

stubblyhead posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just move your mailbox?

If I live here for the long haul no

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is it true that our smartphones mics are always on when certain apps (Facebook, Twitter) are open? I was talking to my coworker about heartburn last week and all I see now are Zantac ads on FB. This isn't the first case

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

signalnoise posted:

Call up your local post office and ask them what needs to be done.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

Is it true that our smartphones mics are always on when certain apps (Facebook, Twitter) are open? I was talking to my coworker about heartburn last week and all I see now are Zantac ads on FB. This isn't the first case

I think its best to just assume that all of your communications are observed and recorded by a number of corporations and government entities and you will never find out who all of them are nor prevent them from doing so unless you go into the wilderness and live off the grid as a hermit

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Organza Quiz posted:

It doesn't have to be a flower, I'd just like it to be something bright and colourful instead of something green since a lot of the rest of it is green or brown.

Well there are Elephant Ears...

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

You might get some "Tinfoil Hat" comments, but I've heard too many anecdotes for me not to believe it is happening. I have one, too: My friends and I were making a few jokes about two Ukranian dudes hitting on our friend at a club one night, and not ten minutes later, an ad on one of my iPhone apps pops up -- "Hot Ukranian singles in your area."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Who was the (I think he was Roman/Greek) classical philosopher that said that a good act is still good, even if done for selfish reasons, like the possibility of reward?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is there a name for the cool (temperature, not fashionable) sensation you get when blood flow is restored to an area after being cut off for a little while?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Do you mean 'pins and needles'?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grundulum posted:

Is there a name for the cool (temperature, not fashionable) sensation you get when blood flow is restored to an area after being cut off for a little while?

Paresthesia.

Growing up I always heard it described as "your [body part] falling asleep," so I guess there's probably some regional variation in what it's called when you're not going all Greek on it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 29, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Organza Quiz posted:

It's for a craft thing, I'm making a kind of plant elephant and I want to make the ears flowers. I could make them up entirely but if I do that they might not end up recognizable as flowers. If I can look at some flowers that look a little like elephant ears then it'll give me a better idea of how to do it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Anthurium.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Paresthesia.

Growing up I always heard it described as "your [body part] falling asleep," so I guess there's probably some regional variation in what it's called when you're not going all Greek on it.

I thought "falling asleep" is when it goes all the way numb from being cut off, "pins and needles" is when the blood flows again

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Paresthesia.

I always thought it was neuropraxia, but now I see that is a more general term for minor nerve function loss. Cool.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Earwicker posted:

Your eyes and your brain work together to conceal enormous variations in brightness from you. Picture the interior of a brightly-lit office building at night. That office is somewhere between 100 and 1000 times dimmer than a field under a bright sunny sky. And yet those soul-sucking fluorescent lights in that office still seem bright. And then consider that once your eyes have had time to adjust, you can see well enough to walk around by the glowing numbers on the clock on the microwave. I don't even know how many orders of magnitude dimmer that is. There's an astonishing range of brightness levels that we can perceive as "normal".

But still, you're right, the sun is WAY weaker in the outer solar system than it is here. Taking pictures at Uranus and Neptune has been compared to taking pictures in a ballpark lit by a candle. Long exposures and/or extremely sensitive sensors are needed out there.

If you're interested in the details, the astronomy thread is full of people taking pictures of distant dim things from Earth, and the spaceflight thread has all the latest news of the spacecraft missions to these distant dim places. And the spaceflight thread even has a regular-posting goon who makes a hobby of processing raw spacecraft images that NASA never bothered with, and making them into absolutely BEAUTIFUL new pictures, and even time-lapse videos. You've probably seen one frame of this in a science textbook, but I bet you've never seen the rings move:

Credit: NASA, JPL, and forums poster Venusian Weasel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Handbrake as mentioned is good. Batch conversion is nice. On Mac cmd+B is your friend.