Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

If you believe that individualism is too dominant an ethos in Western culture, then it follows that you may not want to indulge someone with a de facto narcissistic concern with being perceived "correctly" regardless of how they actually appear, or someone who arrogantly insists that society reshape itself to accommodate them when is they who should accommodate society.

A ternary system is one better than a binary system, I guess.

What is the limit of the violence that can be used to make someone accommodate society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

SwimmingSpider posted:

:siren: No one uses neo-pronouns to "feel special",:siren:

hokay

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Do you know someone who's told you they do it to feel special, or do you feel that anyone who is nonconformist is doing it to feel special until proven otherwise, or what?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

If you believe that individualism is too dominant an ethos in Western culture, then it follows that you may not want to indulge someone with a de facto narcissistic concern with being perceived "correctly" regardless of how they actually appear, or someone who arrogantly insists that society reshape itself to accommodate them when is they who should accommodate society.

Anybody who would say this is being profoundly stupid and using too many words to say "shut up and do what society wants." A black person wants to sit at the front of the bus? How arrogant! A gay couple wants to get married? How narcissistic, accommodate society!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

What is the limit of the violence that can be used to make someone accommodate society?
How violent is internet eye rolling?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

How violent is internet eye rolling?

So in other words, people should accommodate society, but nothing be done to ensure that this happens. This seems like a really interesting morality, where you uphold it by refusing to uphold it. Did you get it from Zen Buddhism? The Three Stooges?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"shut up and accommodate" would be ok if these conflicts about identity weren't a representation of a struggle against oppression.

I mean like, not everyone is treated by society-at-large the way you are. You're arguing as if everyone was you. But that's not the case!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

So in other words, people should accommodate society, but nothing be done to ensure that this happens. This seems like a really interesting morality, where you uphold it by refusing to uphold it. Did you get it from Zen Buddhism? The Three Stooges?
How violent is thinking society at large does not have an ethical obligation to accommodate atypical expressions of identity?

SHISHKABOB posted:

"shut up and accommodate" would be ok if these conflicts about identity weren't a representation of a struggle against oppression.

I mean like, not everyone is treated by society-at-large the way you are. You're arguing as if everyone was you. But that's not the case!
No, I'm aware that not everyone is me. From my privileged position, I can see that an individual's feelings aren't automatically sacrosanct just because they are felt intensely.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Do you know someone who's told you they do it to feel special, or do you feel that anyone who is nonconformist is doing it to feel special until proven otherwise, or what?

1. It reminds me of demigirl/demiboy bullshit
2. loving Xih

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

How violent is thinking society at large does not have an ethical obligation to accommodate atypical expressions of identity?

No, I'm aware that not everyone is me. From my privileged position, I can see that an individual's feelings aren't automatically sacrosanct just because they are felt intensely.

Do you think gay people should not fight for acceptance?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

1. It reminds me of demigirl/demiboy bullshit
And what's wrong with being demigirl/demiboy?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A ternary system is one better than a binary system, I guess.

So you're saying that someone's gender is subservient to their physical appearance?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

What are the limits of being able to refuse to accommodate?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

Its actually so wrong I can argue against it from both a trans and a terf viewpoint

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

I dunno what that is but I think I like it better than any other pronoun.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

Its actually so wrong I can argue against it from both a trans and a terf viewpoint

Then please, go ahead. :munch:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

Then please, go ahead. :munch:

Trans: its absurd to say someone is a demigirl or demiboy, or any kind of gender variant outside of the usual man/women just because they sometimes do and associate with masculine/feminine norms of the opposite gender. Its frankly belittling to trans people and possibly even imtersexed people and what they go through and their desire for them to be taken seriously.

Terf: look at what the loving genderist cult is pushing. Now instead of a girl just being a girl who likes so called boyish things she's now a ~demiboy~ because she likes baggy jeans and playing football. This is just a crazy enforce!memt of gender norms, which is the whole trans agenda anyways.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death
[edit: argh, why am I still posting in this idiotic thread]

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 29, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Trans: its absurd to say someone is a demigirl or demiboy, or any kind of gender variant outside of the usual man/women just because they sometimes do and associate with masculine/feminine norms of the opposite gender. Its frankly belittling to trans people and possibly even imtersexed people and what they go through and their desire for them to be taken seriously.

Terf: look at what the loving genderist cult is pushing. Now instead of a girl just being a girl who likes so called boyish things she's now a ~demiboy~ because she likes baggy jeans and playing football. This is just a crazy enforce!memt of gender norms, which is the whole trans agenda anyways.

Okay...so...looking at the bolded parts there; are you honestly saying that there are no other options other than MALE or FEMALE? That everyone exists solely on the two poles of the binary? That there's no such thing as, say, an androgynous or agender individual?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

Okay...so...looking at the bolded parts there; are you honestly saying that there are no other options other than MALE or FEMALE? That everyone exists solely on the two poles of the binary?

Yes. At best one could argue trans and intersexed people occupy an outsider place on the binary, but that's because of an unusual life experience and/or mixture of male and female physical characteristics. Like being androgynous and breaking gender roles doesn't make you non binary, or Xir or whatever gender variant

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Yes. At best one could argue trans and intersexed people occupy an outsider place on the binary, but that's because of an unusual life experience and/or mixture of male and female physical characteristics. Like being androgynous and breaking gender roles doesn't make you non binary, or Xir or whatever gender variant

Okay; so you are just completely and utterly wrong here; and you really should just shut up and go away because you don't know a thing about gender identity.

Gender is a spectrum, not two binary poles.

I'm really trying to keep a civil tongue here...but you basically just said that one of my best friends is lying to me about who they are, or that they're "just confused" or some other poo poo.

So seriously; go educate yourself and don't post again until you have a goddamn clue as to what you're talking about.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

Like being androgynous and breaking gender roles doesn't make you non binary

Actually that's exactly how it is. When you move away from gender roles you move away from the gender binary. Some people decide that at some point (and it is their job to decide when, not anyone else) they've strayed so far away from the binary that they're something completely different. Being androgynous is just one such way to accomplish this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth would being non binary be if not the bisexual to gender's male and female?

I mean I guess you can certainly have an entirely different concept of gender but 'neither one nor the other' is surely the most obvious meaning of nonbinary gender?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

Actually that's exactly how it is. When you move away from gender roles you move away from the gender binary. Some people decide that at some point (and it is their job to decide when, not anyone else) they've strayed so far away from the binary that they're something completely different. Being androgynous is just one such way to accomplish this.

Yeah; everyone please take note of this parenthetical. Nobody gets to tell someone else what their gender is or isn't.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

What on earth would being non binary be if not the bisexual to gender's male and female?

Well for starters non-binary is a umbrella term to represent every single gender identity that is not male or female...so the equivalent here is that being non-binary gender wise would be "not straight" sexual orientation wise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

Well for starters non-binary is a umbrella term to represent every single gender identity that is not male or female...so the equivalent here is that being non-binary gender wise would be "not straight" sexual orientation wise.

Yeah I worded that a bit wrong, just really weird that someone would have a concept of non binary which doesn't include the most obvious non-binary position.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

Okay; so you are just completely and utterly wrong here; and you really should just shut up and go away because you don't know a thing about gender identity.

Gender is a spectrum, not two binary poles.

I'm really trying to keep a civil tongue here...but you basically just said that one of my best friends is lying to me about who they are, or that they're "just confused" or some other poo poo.

So seriously; go educate yourself and don't post again until you have a goddamn clue as to what you're talking about.

Whatever you say, Xir

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I guess you can certainly have an entirely different concept of gender but 'neither one nor the other' is surely the most obvious meaning of nonbinary gender?

I mean yeah, this is true,and like I said there are people who could in fact fall into an "other" category, but these aren't most of the people on the internet trying to use this term

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

Whatever you say, Xir
Actually jivjov uses he. Please don't use the wrong pronouns.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Whatever you say, Xir

I mean yeah, this is true,and like I said there are people who could in fact fall into an "other" category, but these aren't most of the people on the internet trying to use this term

Okay, look here you mouthy little poo poo; you do not get to tell me, or my friends, who or what I or they are.

Whatever you think you know about gender, you loving don't. You are an offensive jackass.

There are SO many people that don't meet your narrow little view of gender. Just because you don't understand it, just because you REFUSE to understand it, does not mean that non-binary individuals are making it up, or wrong about their own gender identities.

Educate yourself and stop being an rear end to people; seriously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Uh, how would you know?

I mean that's kind of something you have to take people's word for because you can't really see in their head.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, how would you know?

I mean that's kind of something you have to take people's word for because you can't really see in their head.

This exactly! There is precisely ONE person that can say with certainty what someone's gender identity is...and that is that one person.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, how would you know?

Because despite what Xir said up, I actually am a bit educated on this stuff since I've for years been in the orbit of trans/other lgbt communities and have inevitably read a lot of stuff from a lot of people, I've been a first hand witness to the rise of non binary and other neo pronouns and a good deal of people using them currently I wanna go "pffffft" to

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Because despite what Xir said up, I actually am a bit educated on this stuff since I've for years been in the orbit of trans/other lgbt communities and have inevitably read a lot of stuff from a lot of people, I've been a first hand witness to the rise of non binary and other neo pronouns and a good deal of people using them currently I wanna go "pffffft" to

Does that make you psychic?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Your opinion on someone else's identity doesn't matter one IOTA. You can "pffffft" til you pass out, and be as closeminded and arrogant as you drat well please and its not going to change the simple fact that you. Are. Wrong. You haven't the faintest idea what is going on in the head of a non-binary individual because you have already decided that their experience is somehow faulty and not worth incorporating into your limited little worldview.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Does that make you psychic?

We can't rule it out

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

We can't rule it out

Ahh good; so you are just trolling. Glad to know I can safely just discount everything you've posted as some manner of performance art rather than being sad that someone with those opinions actually exists.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

Ahh good; so you are just trolling. Glad to know I can safely just discount everything you've posted as some manner of performance art rather than being sad that someone with those opinions actually exists.

Actually while I am trolling a bit I also fully believe in what I was saying, and to make it worse you have to accept the fact these opinions are coming from a leftist trans person, not your Trump voting aunt at the family dinner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a lovely image of some goon on a chair dispensing gender idenities like some kind of marginally more horrifying version of king minos.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Actually while I am trolling a bit I also fully believe in what I was saying, and to make it worse you have to accept the fact these opinions are coming from a leftist trans person, not your Drumpf voting aunt at the family dinner

Oh; okay; so you do in fact believe that non-binary people don't exist. I feel very sorry for any trans individuals in your life that you marginalize with your toxic attitude, but am secure in the fact that you're fundamentally incorrect.

OwlFancier posted:

I have a lovely image of some goon on a chair dispensing gender idenities like some kind of marginally more horrifying version of king minos.

Goddamn; excellent reference. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

For what it's worth, I know a fair number of non-binary folks in real, for real life. Many of them have put just as much thought as both of us have into gender stuff and honestly find themselves in identification with neither gender.

Mostly they seem happy with singular "they" though. Which nicely sidesteps many of the most contentious bits of this thread. At least aside from the idiotic poo poo about how we can scientifically determine people's true gender or how we just need to load up harder on reparative therapy/drugs and it'll really start working this time.

• Locked thread