Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Huh, apparently I'm in PV's newest Keep or Mull article on CFB. I'm the Living End player at the end.

I mulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Dehtraen posted:

There is a Vs video behind the SCG paywall with Tom Ross running Arlinn Kord in a rg midrange build with hangar back, thopter engineer, mom & dad, sylvan advocates, with bfz nissa and Chandra. Arlinn Kord looked great in that deck, flip side plus was pretty much game over each time

Can someone post the decklist?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

There is a Vs video behind the SCG paywall with Tom Ross running Arlinn Kord in a rg midrange build with hangar back, thopter engineer, mom & dad, sylvan advocates, with bfz nissa and Chandra. Arlinn Kord looked great in that deck, flip side plus was pretty much game over each time

Tom ross loves to go loving wide, that is for sure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11976&d=268607&f=VI

:stare:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i mean i guess 3 spells takes it out of bolt range but it really just seems like a worse Monastery Mentor

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Doesn't lose counters. Counts both sides. Sick as hell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yeah this is one of the cooler fringe decks. Miracle Gro lives again!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Telex posted:

you know approximately zero people are going to treat you seriously if you're using gay and retarded as pejoratives right?

This is the sort of thing a gay retard would say though...

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Dehtraen posted:

This is right along the lines of what I was thinking of building and I'm slightly tempted to get SCG premium to watch it.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can someone post the decklist?

Creatures (18)

4 Hangarback Walker
2 Den Protector
4 Sylvan Advocate
4 Thopter Engineer
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Planeswalkers (9)

4 Arlinn Kord
2 Chandra, Flamecaller
3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Lands (25)

7 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Cinder Glade
1 Foundry of the Consuls
4 Game Trail
2 Timber Gorge
1 Westvale Abbey
Spells (7)

1 Outnumber
2 Oath of Chandra
2 Oath of Nissa
2 Roast
Sideboard

1 Den Protector
4 Goldnight Castigator
2 Ulvenwald Mysteries
2 Plummet
2 Boiling Earth
2 Burn from Within
2 Roast

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i mean i guess 3 spells takes it out of bolt range but it really just seems like a worse Monastery Mentor

Technically, two spells, if you don't count the bolt.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Just in case anyone is worried about a bunch of doofuses funding that coverage kickstarter for GP Minn, it is almost certainly not going to happen. Kickstarters that succeed generally make the majority of the money within the first 72 hour or so roughly. They have brought in so little, they'll need to quintuple the average daily take for the remaining 26 days to get there. Which won't happen. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ggslive/mtg-grand-prix-minneapolis-live-streaming-coverage/ Neat website to analyze kickstarters, they estimate it won't even get to 1/4 of the $20k.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Abhorrence posted:

Technically, two spells, if you don't count the bolt.

yeah, and to be fair 2 spells in vintage isn't hard at all, I still like Mentor more tho cause if that gets Plowed then at least you have tokens left over

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah this is one of the cooler fringe decks. Miracle Gro lives again!

Oh man you're right! Now I'm super pumped and am going to put it together.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Hydra seems pretty inferior to the old Quirion Dryad tho...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Hydra has trample and counts both players' spells, so no?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

whydirt posted:

Yea and dodges Spell Snare. Value!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

It also keys off of green spells (which in this list is only other Managorger Hydras and SB Nature's Claim, but still) and, more importantly for a Powered list, artifacts.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Managorger Hydra seems sweet in the Ravager Shops matchup, since if you cast the Hydra early enough your opponent simply can't attack into it or remove it. It's embarrassing against any deck with Swords to Plowshares or Abrupt Decay, but point removal is not a priority in Vintage anyway.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Quirion dryad doesnt trigger off moxes

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-online-prereleases-reimagined-2016-03-29
MTGO prereleases are now normal sealed leagues (with a bonus foil rare/mythic) and swiss drafts. This is a big upgrade from the dumpster-tier queues they had before.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

sarmhan posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-online-prereleases-reimagined-2016-03-29
MTGO prereleases are now normal sealed leagues (with a bonus foil rare/mythic) and swiss drafts. This is a big upgrade from the dumpster-tier queues they had before.

On the other hand it looks to me like they're axing release sealed events completely, and those were generally among the "best" value limited you could play as far as entry cost to prizes was considered. Just the sealed league now.

(Edit: PTQ preliminaries and like obviously still are easily the best to my understanding.)

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 29, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Quirion dryad doesnt trigger off moxes

Fair enough, I hadn't considered that. My experience playing against Miracle Gro was that the dryad gets very big very fast and the difference between a 7/7 and an 11/11 wasn't that much, or at least not enough to warrant a higher mana cost.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

If this thread had been around 16 years ago, we'd have seen this with Blastoderm. There's nothing new under the sun.

Same but 21 years and Necropotence aka the worst card in ice age according to InQuest

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Fair enough, I hadn't considered that. My experience playing against Miracle Gro was that the dryad gets very big very fast and the difference between a 7/7 and an 11/11 wasn't that much, or at least not enough to warrant a higher mana cost.

Yeah its one of those things you just dont consider. Its the same reason why Mentor is played over Young peezy in vintage. Its a strange format.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

Same but 21 years and Necropotence aka the worst card in ice age according to InQuest

Does anyone have access to a scan or transcript of that article? I'd be curious to see how they articulated it, especially given that my understanding is terms like card advantage and tempo weren't really codified back then.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do Madness cards interact with Necropotence anyway? It sounds like Madness, which replaces discard to the yard with discard to exile, interrupts Necropotence's discard effect (when you discard, exile the card from the yard) so a Madness card, regardless of if it's cast, will land in the graveyard.

Not a big deal outside of EDH I know but I play Necropotence and could possibly add madness spells.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do Madness cards interact with Necropotence anyway? It sounds like Madness, which replaces discard to the yard with discard to exile, interrupts Necropotence's discard effect (when you discard, exile the card from the yard) so a Madness card, regardless of if it's cast, will land in the graveyard.

Not a big deal outside of EDH I know but I play Necropotence and could possibly add madness spells.

Yes, that's how it works. When you discard a card Necropotence triggers, but Madness's replacement effect happens and moves the card into exile (which triggers Madness's ability to let you cast it). When the Necropotence trigger resolves it is no longer the same object as it has moved zones so it is not exiled.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Surprised that someone went with the full 4 but Managorger Hydra was definitely one of the cards Menendian's podcast pointed out as having Vintage potential during his set review for ORI. It's a lot more threatening than Goyf or Quirion Dryad since it has trample naturally and grows much faster, it's just really overshadowed by Mentor since Mentor doesn't die to 1 removal spell.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

where my portland goons at? where u gonna do prerelease? im not going to Guardian, shits too hairy. Any other recommendations? thinking Red Castle atm

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Why does the green gush deck not have a fastbond in it?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mehall posted:

Replaced it with a bulk-bin core set rare

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

where my portland goons at? where u gonna do prerelease? im not going to Guardian, shits too hairy. Any other recommendations? thinking Red Castle atm

What makes a lgs too hairy?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Sickening posted:

What makes a lgs too hairy?

weird layout they always jam-pack that place and it gets greasy and stinky up in there. staff is overworked and disgruntled -- i mean theyre nice but they always seem like theyre doing too much work for their paygrade.
theres so many people in there during prerelease i always feel like i have to clutch my deck or else someone will steal it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mehall posted:

the 4th Hydra is the one that kills you

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So what are everybody's thoughts on Heir of Falkenrath? It seems... insane, frankly. Instant speed discard trigger, relevant typing, given the relative power level of now-cards vs 2011-cards, this feels like it could be this format's Delver. One extra mana in exchange for more synergies and guaranteed transformation is a more than fair trade off.

Also shout out to Autumnal Gloom, definitely think that guy is gonna be a standard player and the design and flavor is super sweet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

So what are everybody's thoughts on Heir of Falkenrath? It seems... insane, frankly. Instant speed discard trigger, relevant typing, given the relative power level of now-cards vs 2011-cards, this feels like it could be this format's Delver. One extra mana in exchange for more synergies and guaranteed transformation is a more than fair trade off.

Also shout out to Autumnal Gloom, definitely think that guy is gonna be a standard player and the design and flavor is super sweet.

It's very good. The problem is that I don't think the deck that it's going to go in is good.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Sorry is this isn't the right thread for this but since I'm asking about things in the game involving popular decks and cards I hope it's applicable. I'm only a collector, I've played a little on the ipad games but that's about it, and I admit I am pretty ignorant on a lot of things, including the different things like legacy or standard and whatnot. I am not some scalper, more a hoarder who is getting overwhelmed with trying to sort things, but that's neither here nor there.

I had pulled a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy (yay) when Origins came out - I have absurd luck with core sets it seems. I really want a Liliana of the Veil. I've seen how cards in the core sets go down once they cycle out (I had quite a few good cards in M15 which have now halved in price, at least). What is the expectation of the Jace card in the nearish future? Will it suddenly go down a bunch once it cycles out? In the meantime Liliana keeps rising in value - I wish I had bitten the bullet months ago and paid $60 or whatever it was. Before more time goes on, would it seem reasonable to try to sell the Jace (hoping I get 50-60 for it) and kick in the rest for the Liliana? I might even be able to scrounge together some duplicates of decent cards from Magic and other games to put more into it. If in 6 months Jace goes down to say 50 and Liliana is 150 or even more, it'll not be a good plan anymore, so I want to do it as soon as possible if I need to. I've pretty much never sold cards I have only one of, but am willing to do it in this case to get something I would prefer, you know?

If on the other hand anyone thinks, well wait 6 months, Jace will be 150 and Liliana will still be 130 or whatever it is, then I'd wait and try to do a better trade, of course. I don't usually care about price other than grinning if I manage to get something good, I know I won't retire on this stuff, but this is unfortunately a case where I have to play the (financial) game to get what I want. It might all be a moot point if the shop I usually go to either doesn't want Jace or doesn't have Liliana, but I won't be there for a few days and any suggestions here may give me time to prepare (finding other cards to sell, etc).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Bant Company and Esper Dragons are really strong still. I mean, until the pros just release whatever they're doing, everything is a brew (and probably will be jank in a month). I don't think I've lost a match with Dragons yet. Aggro is not very good and Midrange creatures aren't great so if you just mainboard multiple Languish you tend to win pretty much all of the time. Vampires seem pretty overrated and most of the time just scoop on the spot to Languish.

There's a deck with 4 Cryptolith Rite and 4 Evolutionary Leap that just dumps a bunch of tokens and little guys (Blisterpods, Catacomb Sifter, Hangarback) onto the battlefield and then taps all of them to cast Ulamog, or sacs them for Ormendahl (you can tap a Scion for mana and then sac it for mana also, so you ramp really fast). The deck is a loving pain in the rear end to swing through without Mindwrack or something, but the issue it has is that it seems like just a bad token deck without Cryptolith Rite.

mcmagic posted:

It's very good. The problem is that I don't think the deck that it's going to go in is good.

I don't claim to know what the meta will look like when the professional deck building teams come out with what they've cooked up but if you build a deck that just folds to Languish it seems like a bad idea.

Jeffe posted:

Sorry is this isn't the right thread for this but since I'm asking about things in the game involving popular decks and cards I hope it's applicable. I'm only a collector, I've played a little on the ipad games but that's about it, and I admit I am pretty ignorant on a lot of things, including the different things like legacy or standard and whatnot. I am not some scalper, more a hoarder who is getting overwhelmed with trying to sort things, but that's neither here nor there.

I had pulled a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy (yay) when Origins came out - I have absurd luck with core sets it seems. I really want a Liliana of the Veil. I've seen how cards in the core sets go down once they cycle out (I had quite a few good cards in M15 which have now halved in price, at least). What is the expectation of the Jace card in the nearish future? Will it suddenly go down a bunch once it cycles out? In the meantime Liliana keeps rising in value - I wish I had bitten the bullet months ago and paid $60 or whatever it was. Before more time goes on, would it seem reasonable to try to sell the Jace (hoping I get 50-60 for it) and kick in the rest for the Liliana? I might even be able to scrounge together some duplicates of decent cards from Magic and other games to put more into it. If in 6 months Jace goes down to say 50 and Liliana is 150 or even more, it'll not be a good plan anymore, so I want to do it as soon as possible if I need to. I've pretty much never sold cards I have only one of, but am willing to do it in this case to get something I would prefer, you know?

If on the other hand anyone thinks, well wait 6 months, Jace will be 150 and Liliana will still be 130 or whatever it is, then I'd wait and try to do a better trade, of course. I don't usually care about price other than grinning if I manage to get something good, I know I won't retire on this stuff, but this is unfortunately a case where I have to play the (financial) game to get what I want. It might all be a moot point if the shop I usually go to either doesn't want Jace or doesn't have Liliana, but I won't be there for a few days and any suggestions here may give me time to prepare (finding other cards to sell, etc).
This is the correct thread.

I'm not a MTG Finance expert, but I do not think Jace will go to 150, I'd say he's probably on a downward trajectory. The best decks in the last standard were all Jace decks. I don't think that's likely in the new Standard and once he rotates out, there's no reason for demand to be so high since while he's a Modern playable card, he's certainly not a staple of the format.

The caveat is that unlike Liliana of the Veil, they can't just print Jace, VP in anything at random because they don't print double sided cards as random promos. FWIW I don't think Liliana is all that likely to hit 150, either.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Bant Company and Esper Dragons are really strong still. I mean, until the pros just release whatever they're doing, everything is a brew (and probably will be jank in a month). I don't think I've lost a match with Dragons yet. Aggro is not very good and Midrange creatures aren't great so if you just mainboard multiple Languish you tend to win pretty much all of the time. Vampires seem pretty overrated and most of the time just scoop on the spot to Languish.

There's a deck with 4 Cryptolith Rite and 4 Evolutionary Leap that just dumps a bunch of tokens and little guys (Blisterpods, Catacomb Sifter, Hangarback) onto the battlefield and then taps all of them to cast Ulamog, or sacs them for Ormendahl (you can tap a Scion for mana and then sac it for mana also, so you ramp really fast). The deck is a loving pain in the rear end to swing through without Mindwrack or something, but the issue it has is that it seems like just a bad token deck without Cryptolith Rite.

I don't claim to know what the meta will look like when the professional deck building teams come out with what they've cooked up but if you build a deck that just folds to Languish it seems like a bad idea.

Very much agree with you on Languish. Thats where you want to be.

Is the mana good enough to play Bant anymore though? Thats my only issue with that deck.

• Locked thread