Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I have a Warder.

I like my Warder. I hit things very hard, and then they explode.

I like the look of the Arcanist as well, but don't really like any of the other class themes. Not an "Assassins!" type or a dual wielder guy, so Nightblade seems unappealing. I like guns, and I like fire, but bombs/traps bore me, so Demo seems ??. I'm also not a big fan of curses/summoners, so Occultist doesn't seem like a great fit.

What should I pair with my Arcanist?

I did something really weird with mine and went almost straight arcanist, with just a tiny dip into soldier for the first defensive passive. Of course, I haven't tried this on elite or ultimate yet, so that might not work so well. I went with a missile build for the arcanist skills, and it clears the screen fast as hell, but struggles with single target dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Greens can roll certain prefixes and affixes that, together, make for a better item than epics or even legendaries. I never use them, though, because I want my dudes in unique gear so they can look badass. Or ridiculous. Or both.

If dual wielding guns sounds good, Sorcerer or Pyromancer is the way to go. Only one curse required if you choose the latter. If not, I'm doing a Battlemage (Arcanist + Soldier) that spreads green fire and green lightning everywhere. Check the OP for a gif. (giant sword is optional and actually the non-optimal choice compared to regular-sized sword + caster off-hand)

Speaking of lightning and gifs, the Ultos set is now finally complete and it makes for quite the light show :allears:

https://giant.gfycat.com/ComplexVacantBovine.webm

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I'm currently playing my first HC char which is a gun shooter, and I just got my third legendary and its Silverbolt. Biggest upgrade ever, my dps almost doubled after I reassigned a few skillpoints. Gonna be mad if I die now!!

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Hand Row posted:

It is damage per type within a hit which is why it is crazy good. For example if you had 30 damage absorption and got a single hit for 100 physical, 50 cold and 30 poison, you would take 70 20 and 0. Then reduce further based on armor, resistance etc. You can find the general order of operations on the main site.

What about the damage absorption of Possession? Works the same way? I am getting a new appreciation for Blast Shield...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rookersh posted:

I like the look of the Arcanist as well, but don't really like any of the other class themes. Not an "Assassins!" type or a dual wielder guy, so Nightblade seems unappealing. I like guns, and I like fire, but bombs/traps bore me, so Demo seems ??. I'm also not a big fan of curses/summoners, so Occultist doesn't seem like a great fit.

What should I pair with my Arcanist?

It sounds like you put more stock in lore than usability, and I can respect that. Maybe go with the classic Eldritch Knight? In mechanical terms, you could use the Soldier passives to shore up your defenses and pad your natural Physique progression, and then just go hard wizard in terms of active skills?

Arc/Demo is pretty good too, I liked what I played of mine. Bombs are basically spells that can be shot out of the air if you aren't careful, and the only real trap they have is Thermite Mine, which is more targeted and tactical, less "gee I hope the enemy wanders over this!"

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
NB can work with Arcanist if you're going for cold damage. They get a passive with reduction to cold resist, and another with a 1/3 chance to drain energy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also, as a Warder, how much do I care about Spirit?

I'm currently running Markov/Savagery/Brute > Feral Hunger, with a few points in Mogdrog. Devotions wise, I've mastered Tsunami, and am working torwards the Lughtning Bolt one that requires 5 purple seals. This is at level 20ish?

Its fun, but looking over the tree, it seems I might prefer Primal Strike/??? later in the game. As such, I'd want to focus on Lightning damage, which means Spirit right?

I've put a good 20 of my points into Physique, 2-3 into Cunning, and 1 into Spirit so far. Wondering if I should start going heavier into Spirit for Lightning damage.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Looking for a build focused on either Chaos, Cold, Vitality or Bleed (damage types I haven't tried yet). Ideally, it should be different than my 2hander Warder (lightning), gunslinger sorcerer (fire), dual melee witch hunter (poison), S&B commando (physical) or Callidor battlemage (aether)*.
*I also have a pet build but I can't seem to have any fun playing that one

Leaning towards dual melee as my witch hunter is the one I play the least (top tier killer but a lot of work to keep alive), but open to suggestions.

Rookersh posted:

Also, as a Warder, how much do I care about Spirit?..

I went more or less 1:1 physique/spirit with my Warder (few posts up). No points in cunning.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Rookersh posted:

Also, as a Warder, how much do I care about Spirit?
I'd lean towards having more Spirit; 2h weapons can roll up to 36% Physical to Lightning conversion, while you'll get another 15% conversion from Stormcaller's Pact and 10% from Amber (if you don't need a defensive component in your weapon). If you get lucky, Ultos' Gem can add 12% to finish at a respectable 73% Phys to Lightning (you'd need to have gone with Occultist or Arcanist to go full Spirit, but whatever). The biggest benefit of going Spirit is that Cunning does nothing (bar a tiny bit of OA) for Totems/Wind Devil, and it's almost always worth dipping into those no matter what flavour of Shaman you are.

seravid posted:

Looking for a build focused on either Chaos, Cold, Vitality or Bleed (damage types I haven't tried yet). Ideally, it should be different than my 2hander Warder (lightning), gunslinger sorcerer (fire), dual melee witch hunter (poison), S&B commando (physical) or Callidor battlemage (aether)*.
*I also have a pet build but I can't seem to have any fun playing that one
Bleed is fairly decent on a 2h ranged Cadence build; standard version would be Commando with Manticore/Huntress reductions, but I could see running a Witchblade for CoF or Warder for Devouring Swarm. DW Bleeding Trickster works too, if you've got Brutallax/Nightsong.

Cold is pretty fun in general, but it's hard for me to get over it being the one element with no flat -x%resistance power in devotions. I'm trying a Trozan's Sky Shards Druid and a DW Shadow Strike Spellbreaker right now; they're both solid builds in terms of skill synergies and itemization, even if killing Yetis might take a fraction of a second longer than usual. Couple of things to note about Cold--you can spec devotions to snag both Elemental Seeker and Whirlpool (even Elemental Storm, optionally), and the skills from the Deathmarked weapons have no cooldown.

Yes, the 33% proc on any crit, 75% weapon damage AOE skills have no cooldown, and are perfectly happy to proc off of even Night's Chill. Yet another reason to always read the threads about ridiculous Avatar of Mogdrogen kills by Chinese players with nothing better to do on the GD forums.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
If you want bleed and vitality damage I had a lot of fun with my devouring swarm phantasmal blade trickster. I went with wendigo and hunter for constellations.

Devouring Swarm scales really well due to the nature of - % resist.

I didn’t go past elite difficulty, but it steamrolled normal and elite.

Only used found gear, which was pretty bad early on.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
Really having a blast with this game, picked it up the weekend after it came out. Just clocked over 100 hours in this game since (I think 120 or so now), still having a blast.

Amateur Sketch posted:

NB can work with Arcanist if you're going for cold damage. They get a passive with reduction to cold resist, and another with a 1/3 chance to drain energy.

This is what I ended up sticking with. I leveled up 4 characters to the finish of the campaign on Normal/Veteran, and finally stuck with a Spellbreaker focusing heavily on cold damage and just finished the campaign on Elite (level 67). I'm a bit squishy (even with nearly all resists maxed), but thats probably a lot to do with not having my devotions very well set. I read a couple other build guides linked in this thread for devotion ideas and going to be respec tonight to something with a lot more defense and % health, since that's the only way you're getting more life as a SB.

Working on getting my rep up with rovers to get the level 70 chilltouch sceptars for huge cold damage boost before working on farming for the Deathmark set up.

I also managed to snag up the bleed/vitality lifesteal sword, along with vitality damage chest/pants (all legendaries), so I'm probably going to try to get a trickster or conjurer going using totems and devouring swarm. Leaning more towards trickster since I really really like melee DW builds, and this would be different enough to not feel too similar.

Edit: Actually I'll be going trickster, forgot I had one already at 47 for the lightning proc build, so swapping over to a vitality setup wouldn't be that big of deal, and also very close to wearing the legendaries.

Edit2: Does savagery only increase the damage of your auto attacks, or all damage (as in, will it make my totems stronger)?

rawk cawk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 30, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting suggestions, thank you. I'm really leaning towards a dual melee build - and I forgot to say a cool endgame set is all but a requirement - so that Cold-based Spellbreaker with the Deathmark set seems like it ticks all the boxes.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
For leveling I ended up maxing Olexa's Flash Freeze because freezing the entire screen is cool and fun, and Blade spirit as well. Those 2 combined will clear out all the trash, leaving your auto attack skills and shadow strike for single target. I'm not saying this is the end game build, but it's worked very well for me so far all the way through elite. It's nice having blade spirit continue to do damage on a boss for those times you need to walk away for a few seconds until you can use Pneumatic Burst.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

seravid posted:

Interesting suggestions, thank you. I'm really leaning towards a dual melee build - and I forgot to say a cool endgame set is all but a requirement - so that Cold-based Spellbreaker with the Deathmark set seems like it ticks all the boxes.
I'm running 4/5 Iskandra's and the two Deathmark weapons, actually. That and Belgothian's Carnage caps proc chance for Whirling Death and Execution for a point each, while the defences/+skills/item skills (Aether res, free 22% ele conversion) from Iskandra's are way better than Nightblade stuff (which usually doesn't overscale well). I should note that I'm actually really more of a Beronath DW-proc build, just that I started putting points into Shadow Strike because there wasn't really anything left. It's pretty ridiculous when you can weave SS in constantly from Belgothian's procs, although I'm not sure if it's better than maxing OFF and sleeping through the game.

e;^^^Blade Spirit definitely owns in endgame, even with just a point. Stick Whirlpool on it, and each BS is practically guaranteed to proc 2 Whirlpools--which, at like 6/10 with twinky gear does ~3500 Cold, ~1250 Frostburn a tick, for 6 seconds, each. Then factor in 3 Spirits up at all times, constantly cycling in more...

Souplesse fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 30, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Was thinking about rolling a Witch Hunter. Are there any builds that incorporate Dual Blades and Shadow Strike with Occultist skills? Doesn't have to be the min-maxiest ever.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Mix-matching sets? Noooooooooooo

I'll create the character now - starting at lvl 50 on Elite, of course - and see how the build works. Now I just need to find a way to disable Maiven's bubble effect...

edit: ^^^ poison witch hunter is great, uses both masteries, and you'll be a god all the way through Elite. Ultimate, however, requires some patience and skill. ^^^

seravid fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 30, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Best part about the trainer posted earlier is the ability to increase the game's speed 50% and triple the number of enemies.

Seriously, give it a try.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

What I'm doing now is start at 50 on Elite and speedrun it. Gives me enough time to test and fine-tune the build while only taking a couple hours (I think? Don't really know but I can finish it in one sitting). Then I'm ready to start the "real" game on Ultimate.

I loved that TQ's mod that filled the screen with mobs, but my fps already tanks with larger battles on Ultimate so that's unfortunately out of the question.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

KPC_Mammon posted:

Best part about the trainer posted earlier is the ability to increase the game's speed 50% and triple the number of enemies.

Seriously, give it a try.

This gives me memories of the old xMax (as in, multiply enemy spawns by as much as the game could handle) mod for Titan Quest back in the day, that was pretty much the best thing ever.

I should probably look into that trainer though because I like trying a crapton of builds and having to start from level 1 normal each time is a bit of a chore.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

A bleed-centric trickster was the first character I played. I made it through Veteran and Elite without too much difficulty, although any section (Act 2) that featured undead was a bit of a slog. The key to having a good time, for me at least, was making sure that I used Grasping Vines (with Rend from the Huntress devotion) constantly. That coupled with Devouring Swarm to reduce bleed resistance made things go much smoother.

When I finished Elite, I farmed a little, got to around level 70, stocked up on some decent gear, started Ultimate, and got immediately and unceremoniously gently caress-stomped. It was just terrible, I didn't have the resists or the defense necessary to stand toe to toe with mobs of enemies, and if I tried to kite, inevitably I'd end up fighting off my own reflected bleeds. Just all around not fun.

Then I moved on and tried a few different characters, got more experience with the game, and decided to revisit the trickster, this time augmented with the best gear a trainer could get me. Much more fun this time around, but still, even with great gear, it's a roller coaster ride with death being just an instant of inattention away.

So that's my unsolicited review of a bleed-centric trickster. Not the greatest character, but still fun up through Elite. Ultimate takes some serious gearing to not be a chore. Definitely not the character I'd try a hardcore run with.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My RNG luck with legendaries continues apace. I'm now level 81 and have cleared up through the portal after the underground city on ultimate. I have 4 usable legendaries equipped and one stash tab about 75% full... of those, over half are guns. What the heck game? I mean I like guns as much as anybody, but c'mon, toss me some non-gun weapons, maybe some jewelry or something?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Use the new blacksmith you get a little bit of control over the slot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Huh... forgot they added that blacksmith, and I've never visited. Guess I should.

Edit: I had enough stuff for 3 accessories, 2 armor, 2 melee weapon. I'm a 2h melee lightning build, not a single item has elemental or lightning bonus, only 1 has resists, and both weapons were shields. Also one of the armors was all bonuses for shields... :negative:

Oh well, this is why I don't go to Vegas and gamble.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 30, 2016

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Running a bleed trickster on HC atm, seems pretty fun. A question about devotion though, do the skills that give +bleed damage over time like fox only work on weapon attacks? Or will they buff up Devouring swarm as well?

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
In my experience (questionable though it may be), anything that adds damage only works with weapon attacks. %boosts seem to work with everything though.

Also, the Aetherial Nemesis, Valdanar, seems to love spawning in the Warden's cellar if anyone is hankering for some pretty sweet looking shoulders. I've found him there 3 games in a row (twice in the same spot). He brings a fuckload of lightning damage to the table though, even at 80% resist I just get axed sometimes and there's not much I can do about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Nemesis', how are you supposed to farm up the reputation needed for the Crowley's Gang, Death's Vigil and the Kymoni's Chosen? It took long enough to get the Aetherials, Not-Cthulhu's and Undead up, and they are literally all over the place, including the end-game dungeons.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 30, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Nemesis', how are you supposed to farm up the reputation needed for the Crowley's Gang, Death's Vigil and the Kymoni's Chosen? It took long enough to get the Aetherials, Not-Cthulhu's and Undead up, and they are literally all over the place, including the end-game dungeons.

Broken Cog posted:

you [...] farm [...] Crowley's Gang, Death's Vigil and the Kymoni's Chosen

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Bounties would also help I guess. Devil's Crossing give a lot of bounties for Cronley's Gang, which give -100 rep for each one completed. Given you seem to get about -1 rep for each gang member you kill...yeah, it'll take a while. Similarly, I guess you can try game Kymon's/Death's Vigil the same way, though I've killed a lot less of those guys and my rep is similar so it might be faster for them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Or you know, grab a trainer and just crank that faction to the nemesis rating because grinding for that stuff is really boring.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I mean, can you multiplayer trade Mandates? Or are they only for your alts. If you can trade Mandates, a goon whose reached the ultimate rank for all the major factions could probably let people join his game, then drop a bunch of Mandates for them so it goes by faster.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Question about % damage from skills, does it apply only to a specific skill or does it apply to all of your damage?

For example, Temper on a Demolitionist gives +4% burn damage. Does that damage only apply to Flame Touched or does it apply to all burn damage you do?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bamhand posted:

Question about % damage from skills, does it apply only to a specific skill or does it apply to all of your damage?

For example, Temper on a Demolitionist gives +4% burn damage. Does that damage only apply to Flame Touched or does it apply to all burn damage you do?

You can check your bonuses in the character screen, so you can test this yourself for each skill. Though for auras, generally speaking those bonuses are universal.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I made a sorcerer and started by maxing blackwater cocktail and the frost nova and prancing around one shotting everything on screen is fun while it lasts.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What are you guys using to start level 50 characters? I figure after getting 1 there legit there's not much reason to waste the hours grinding alts up to it.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
I'm guessing the trainer? I think you just make a new guy then adjust the level with the trainer (not sure if you have to adjust anything else like core points, but all that is available on the trainer).

I'm going to figure it out sometime soon to start alts, because the 1-40 leveling time in this game is way too long (at least to me), and after doing that a few times I'm never going to do that again.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Bakalakadaka posted:

I made a sorcerer and started by maxing blackwater cocktail and the frost nova and prancing around one shotting everything on screen is fun while it lasts.

Hah, I did the same. Lvl 58 around Elite Homestead now and it still works pretty well.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Get the trainer here.

- Attribute points are calculated automatically but they do not count the quest reward from the ghost lady, so add one (or two, if starting on Ultimate) to whatever it gives you.
- Skill points are not calculated, so for a level 50 character you should have 148 (level 2 to 50 gives you 3 points each so 147, plus 1 (or 2) from the inventor guy's quest in Devil's Crossing)
- Normal has 28 shrines = 28 devotion points. Elite has 17 = 45 devotion points.

You'll be able to pick your second mastery as soon as you level up.

Set friendly and enemy factions to whatever you find best (Revered and Hated if you're starting in Elite, Revered and Nemesis if Ultimate... c'mon)

You'll have zero materials, so you might want to select "no mats required" to craft some basic resists components. Or craft them with another character and transfer them, I suppose.

And that's it. Keep in mind even level 50 Elite feels a little slow for me (on my seventh character, Cold-based DW Spellbreaker), might start at 70 on Ultimate next time.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
Thanks for that info, that will save me some time. I'm already saving up gear for different builds and the one I'm eyeing next I have 2 legendaries and other gear to start off strong at 50 - likely the pattern I'll follow in the future when making alts.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nice. Just finished the main quest and unlocked Elite, so will be doing this over the weekend to see what other classes feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.
Oh boy, even with nearly max resists across the board, my 71 cold spellbreaker isn't ready for the nemesis spawn. The Kymon nemesis rekt me :stare: