Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zaodai posted:

When you do Chaos Rising, you can import your guys partially, but due to events in the story your good poo poo (like the Terminator Armor) is damaged and can't be used for balance reasons.

You'll lose most of your gear in between Vanilla and Chaos Rising except for the gear you had equipped on the last mission. It helps make the first mission in Chaos Rising easier. Otherwise the default gear you get is pretty bad and makes that mission a whole hell of a lot harder. Terminator armor is very situational and might make a couple of the skills you've taken worthless. Even though Avitus is VERY strong in terminator armor most of his ranged skills don't work anymore. Particularly the ones that get rid of set up times and provides bonuses when he is in cover. I found terminator armor best for the assault squad though it still is stiuational.

In terms of skills for the first playthrough put points into the obvious paths. You could make the assault squad and force commander into ranged powerhouses but it requires a better understanding of the game. Be sure to always do defend missions. They are fairly easy and will allow you to do multiple missions in one day pretty easily.

If you don't want to mess with the item drop system you could always download a wargear unlocker. Keep in mind there is a metric gently caress ton of gear and some you won't see even after multiple playthroughs. This is also one of the easier ways to try out different builds on your characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, it's been awhile since I played, so I couldn't remember the specifics between Vanilla and Chaos Rising, other than my terminator armor got trashed until most of the way through the campaign. :saddowns:

And yeah, terminator armor may invalidate some of the perks, but ASSAULT CANNON! :flashfap:

The item drop system honestly isn't bad. I found it to be one of the more enjoyable aspects in that it may affect who you bring or your playstyle without completely loving you for wanting to use certain guys. Though I never really used the Dreadnaught because I always got potato gear for him and I was always pretty set in my squad by then.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

1redflag posted:

Anything for Strider (2014)?

Kunai are totally busted in terms of damage for energy use. Other than that it's a pretty good Metriodvaina. The game also makes it very clear when you are at the point of no return so feel free to put off collecting items until later if that's your thing.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Nothing in the wiki for these, anything for Fatal Frame 1 and 2?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I don't remember too much, but zero shots and shots when the ghost is super in your face are fuckin' money. Other than that, Fatal Frame 2 has to be played multiple times to get the true ending (first one still worth it)

Make sure you play it with the lights out.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just joined the Vampire: Bloodlines group in Steam last week on a lark, and suddenly the other day there was an announcement that they just released a new patch. Who are these people still updating this game after going-on-15 years?

Meet Wesp, a crazy modder person. When the game was released in a very buggy and unfinished state, Wesp did a bunch of good modding work to fix it up. Then he restored a bunch of cut content that was on the game disc, still all fine and good. But he didn't stop there, and I don't think he's ever going to. When there was no more things that could be reasonably fixed, he started to fix unreasonable things. Every single cut data file on the disc gets rammed in somewhere, even if they are unfinished to the point of being incomprehensible. And he moves things. NPCs, items, quest rewards, all things change places from patch to patch without rhyme or reason. The tiniest of background details get switched on and off according to the mystical whimsy that drives this man.

To his credit, most of the crazy is contained into an optional 'plus' version of the patch these days.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus he keeps the game fresh and interesting. You never know what's going to stop working in the newest version.
Actually, speaking of Bloodlines: anyone got some recommendations for mods that mess around with character building? New clans, new disciplines, that stuff. I played one but all it really did was make stuff like Animalism more boring.

e: VVV Fairly sure the term "raging rear end in a top hat" was coined for him. But hey, it takes some kind of mentality to make nude patches.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 24, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wesp's patches are great, but yeah, only use the plus version if you're replaying and don't mind some odd bloat in exchange for cool new content. Tessera, on the other hand... well, there are two kinds of modder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, speaking of Bloodlines: anyone got some recommendations for mods that mess around with character building? New clans, new disciplines, that stuff. I played one but all it really did was make stuff like Animalism more boring.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtm-the-final-nights - New clans. There ya go. Pretty well polished.

There's also:

http://www.pcgamer.com/antitribu-mod-adds-seven-new-clans-to-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/ - new clans

http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-clan-quest-mod - same clans, new disciplines, new quests

But I haven't played them as much.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The link that says to click "here" to see what the Antitribu patch entails seems to go to a virus page, just as a warning.

Other than that, I am thrilled to have experienced this rundown of Vampire: Bloodlines patch creator magic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-clan-quest-mod - same clans, new disciplines, new quests
That's the one I played and was honestly unimpressed. I'll check out The Final Nights, thanks.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Just bought Assassins Creed Rogue during the Ubisoft sale, can I just play it like 4, which is a dumb pirate simulator, or do I need to know anything new?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Just bought Assassins Creed Rogue during the Ubisoft sale, can I just play it like 4, which is a dumb pirate simulator, or do I need to know anything new?

You can just buy pelts :allears:.

Upgrade the whaling boat and harpoon asap, there are a few good items/upgrades behind the skins.

There's a barge in most ports on the river valley to teleport to the other side. You can have your ship come to you by lighting a torch at any dock you come across.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Factorio? The stuff I've looked up so far is hilariously complex and makes no sense. Speak to me as though I am a child.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Beat most of the content on Destiny and just decided to get Taken King. I know I'm late to the party but any general tips?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Beat most of the content on Destiny and just decided to get Taken King. I know I'm late to the party but any general tips?

Prepare for disappointment and terrible grinding in one of the worst designed, content-free multiplayer games in recent memory.

My best tip would be to return the game before you use the Taken King download code.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got Star Ruler 2 while waiting for Stellaria. It's pretty different from other 4x games I've played. Any tips?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

IIRC, 2's decidedly less stingy with film, but like the other guy said it's still way more important to get good solid shots ("zero shots" etc) than to try to make quick shots. Also notable, if faced with multiple ghosts, you can (and likely should) switch between targets to keep one or more stunned at any given time. The goal is still to focus on quality over quantity in your shots; the solid hits stun longer too. Don't be scared to use the fancier film, particularly in 2.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kruller posted:

Anything for Factorio? The stuff I've looked up so far is hilariously complex and makes no sense. Speak to me as though I am a child.

Honestly, just play through the campaign and come up with your own designs. Pay attention to the machinery that is already set up for you when you start the missions - that's how they introduce concepts to you. The game isn't that hard, and you'll only need the needlessly complex stuff people are talking about in the online guides if you're hitting efficiency ceilings. Oh, since you said speak to you as a child, I mean when your machines aren't producing stuff fast enough.

As far as general tips:

- Spread out, you don't need to make super tiny compact factories unless you want to.
- Make sure to understand that conveyor belts have two sides and which side your inserter is grabbing from/putting down. Inserters can grab from either side but place on the far side of the belt.
- Don't be afraid to remove machines and redesign. Your conveyor belts will fill up with materials but whatever is producing the materials will automatically stop.
- If you're feeling especially nerdy, use something like this to visualize your production lines.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kruller posted:

It's really not all that bad but some things that have helped me:

-Build your base bigger than you think you're going to need. You probably either forgot or didn't know about something you'll need to add to it.
-Anything you need a bunch of should be being automatically created in an Assembler. Belts, inserters, ammunition, science packs, other assemblers, all that stuff. Crafting stuff in-hand is for when you need one more inserter and your chests are halfway across the base, not for when you discover you need another 50.
-Get away from the pistol and regular ammo as soon as you have the research done. Regular ammo stops doing damage very quickly and the pistol doesn't fire fast enough to matter. Piercing (red) ammo is twice as good and the SMG fires fast enough to actually kill things before they get close. Get turrets and walls when the SMG starts to struggle.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kruller posted:

Pushing Alt makes extra info appear on most machinery. It also shows you your pollution cloud on the map as a reddish discoloration (you may want to bring up the map then tap alt a few times to turn it on/off so you can see it). Bugs don't generally attack until your stink cloud expands over to their nests or where their spawned bugs wander.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anything for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood the wiki doesn't mention? I MAY start over because it's early enough that I don't feel locked in yet but I'm also far enough in that I don't want to start over just because I sold a couple things before checking the wiki.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gogo Dragon's Dogma for PC. I rolled a fighter with the eventual intent of just 2H cleaving everything. I really dig the combat but tend to lose interest quickly in open world RPGs when I lose momentum, advise me on how to best keep everything rolling strong.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Gogo Dragon's Dogma for PC. I rolled a fighter with the eventual intent of just 2H cleaving everything. I really dig the combat but tend to lose interest quickly in open world RPGs when I lose momentum, advise me on how to best keep everything rolling strong.
Change classes whenever you get bored! You can swap pretty freely with no real penalty (stat growths change depending on class but it only really matters if you, like, spent level 1-150 as a warrior then try to become a master sorcerer – you honestly won’t notice otherwise) and almost all the classes offer a really fun and varied experience. Especially if you want to be a warrior – they’re really fun to use but their skills are kind of limited, so you can swap out to an assassin or strider whenever you feel like a totally different approach based on speed, climbing, skill cancelling and combos, or a mystic knight if you feel like being a huge swole magical tank.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah, after giving a cursory look to the skill trees my thoughts were to start out building up my bigass sword moves and then later move onto some of the magical self-buffs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

This is something I have particular trouble with in Dragon's Dogma, it can be such a great game but it can also kinda kick you when you're down and laugh at you, and then you get quickly turned off and put the game down for a long time.

Save all the loving time, seriously treat it like fallout where you have to quicksave every 5 minutes just in case. Having to repeat content you just spent an hour doing because you haven't saved in an hour is the number one reason to stop playing.

Be careful about wandering into stuff that's just way tougher than you are. If something really womps you really fast, probably don't reload and then run back into it, unless you're confident.

Also take your pawns into the management thing and tell them all to shut the hell up. They'll still talk a lot (HARPY!!!!) but not quite as much and it helps. Oh and for that matter make sure you use pawns a lot and keep them up to your level, whenever your non-personal pawns feel weak ditch them and hire new people from online.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, after giving a cursory look to the skill trees my thoughts were to start out building up my bigass sword moves and then later move onto some of the magical self-buffs.

If by bigass sword moves you mean Warrior, they're not really the best class in the game overall. But they are pretty badass and cool looking, so gently caress it have fun. Also Dragon's Dogma literally has the armor and weapons from Berserk; you can get Guts' and Griffin's armor from the golden age arc if that means anything to you. So being a big badass sword guy means you can use guts' sword and cosplay as guts' which is good times.

And you're limited on equipment and skills based on your current class (which you can swap anytime) but each time you level, you gain stats based on the class you are while you're leveling.

As such, a lot of people tend to min/max their characters by gaining early levels in one class (Assassin, Sorcerer and Mystic Knight have good stat growth IIRC) and then swap to their "real" class to play as once they've already leveled a ton and have amazing stats. But that's not exactly required so don't overthink it too much.

Just know that if you spend 40 levels as a warrior then switching to sorcerer isn't going to give you the best magic. Mystic knight is pretty fun though, one of my favorite classes.

Assassin is probably my favorite, followed by Mystic Knight and Warrior, even though they aren't the best ever period.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 30, 2016

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Dragon's Dogma literally has the armor and weapons from Berserk; you can get Guts' and Griffin's armor from the golden age arc if that means anything to you. So being a big badass sword guy means you can use guts' sword and cosplay as guts' which is good times.
Sadly, the Berserk stuff got cut out of the PC version due to licensing issues and modders appear to have hit a brick wall trying to put it back in.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Anything for MLB The Show '16? Maybe just in general for The Show besides what's on the wiki for '09, which doesn't seem to fully apply anymore due to changes in mechanics. I haven't played any of these games ever, played a bit last night but spent the majority of my time customizing poo poo in Diamond Dynasty and Road to the Show.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Since there's no thread for it and nobody seems to have mentioned it at all on SA, what should I know about Killer Instinct? Just came out on PC and I thought it looked pretty good / fun. Plus I hear it's free (as long as you're willing to just play as Sabrewulf lol).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks for the tips on DD y'all. I think Mystic Knight sounds cool so I'll roll with that, and try to consciously avoid crap that usually annoys me in open world RPGs like fiddling around with the inventory and collecting useless junk that I just have to break down later. I'll also remember to savescum and not get too hung up on clearing out the entire quest board, which takes a lot of personal discipline for me.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks for the tips on DD y'all. I think Mystic Knight sounds cool so I'll roll with that, and try to consciously avoid crap that usually annoys me in open world RPGs like fiddling around with the inventory and collecting useless junk that I just have to break down later. I'll also remember to savescum and not get too hung up on clearing out the entire quest board, which takes a lot of personal discipline for me.

Ignoring the sidequest notice board poo poo and just laser focusing the main quest (mostly) prevented that game from burning me out. I'm kind of like you however and my completionist side takes over. It felt really dirty but hey that's what NG+ is for. :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Random Hajile posted:

Sadly, the Berserk stuff got cut out of the PC version due to licensing issues and modders appear to have hit a brick wall trying to put it back in.

Oh poo poo you're right, I keep forgetting about that. I played it mostly on 360 and then picked it up on PC but that part slipped my mind.

Oh well there's still other cool giant gently caress-off swords in the game. :smith:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

NT Plus posted:

Ignoring the sidequest notice board poo poo and just laser focusing the main quest (mostly) prevented that game from burning me out. I'm kind of like you however and my completionist side takes over. It felt really dirty but hey that's what NG+ is for. :shobon:

That's literally what NG+ is for because there are a bunch of quests you can't access until NG+. Thankfully any quests you did the first time around will still count as completed for the achievment if you're into that kind of thing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NT Plus posted:

This is good advice since I did all the sidequest poo poo and burnt out pretty bad.

Also, there is some of that Dark Souls kind of 'if you don't do this thing you won't be able to do this other thing later' stuff in this game, so if that bothers you I'd suggest reading some guides and spoilers.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Anything for Final Fantasy 3 that isn't in the wiki? DS version, if that matters.

More specific questions:

If I have a spell in my inventory and equip to a character can I ever remove it and give it to someone else?

Is it job levels or character levels that increase Strength, agility etc?

The status screen says For Next Level: xxx. Is that necessary exp for character or job level? The way it's lined up it looks like character level. How do you know how close you are to your next job level?

Do I retain everything learned in a previous job when I change?

Does this game just expect me to grind like crazy? I know it's an old game, but I just wandered into Mythirl Cave (first dungeon basically) and got destroyed by skeletons. It wasn't even a contest. They're hitting me for like 40 hp a swing and I'm doing maybe 6.

There are a lot of systems in this game that aren't explained very well at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HairyManling posted:

Does this game just expect me to grind like crazy? I know it's an old game, but I just wandered into Mythirl Cave (first dungeon basically) and got destroyed by skeletons. It wasn't even a contest. They're hitting me for like 40 hp a swing and I'm doing maybe 6.

Short answer: yes. It's easily the hardest Final Fantasy and there's not much payoff to it.

If you like the systems of FF3 but end up hating the game then check out Bravely Default which feels like a spiritual successor. It's a job system with brutal difficulty that can be modified on the fly, random battles turned off, speed increased, and there are various intentional exploits that let you fine tune the difficulty to your liking.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HairyManling posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy 3 that isn't in the wiki? DS version, if that matters.
Oh, it matters. The NES version is bad in the way that old NES games are because of system limitations, but the DS version is actively terrible and means to break your will to continue playing the game.

Seriously the best, most honest, advice I can give you is, don't play it. Get your Steam refund.

quote:

If I have a spell in my inventory and equip to a character can I ever remove it and give it to someone else?

Is it job levels or character levels that increase Strength, agility etc?

The status screen says For Next Level: xxx. Is that necessary exp for character or job level? The way it's lined up it looks like character level. How do you know how close you are to your next job level?

Do I retain everything learned in a previous job when I change?

1) I'm like 99% sure you can swap spells whenever you like.

2) It's a weird split. Every job has different stat scores per character level. Like a lv15 Monk will have (making these up) 15 Strength, 22 Vitality, 5 Magic; a lv15 Black Mage will have 5 Str, 5 Vit, and 23 Magic.

3) That means character level. Job EXP is invisible. The way it works is every time you take an action in battle (even Guard), you get a set amount of Job XP. It's safe to assume that you're getting 16-20 until level 16, at which point Job XP drops off dramatically and as low as 8 per action. Every 100, you gain a job level. You can only gain one level per encounter, so it can only roll over up to 99 job XP.

Job levels influence your chance to hit, your damage output, your magic strength, your number of attacks... everything, basically. They are extremely important, but so is changing jobs. That starter job class you took to 99 reached the equipment or spell cap. Now you get to take a whole new one all the way back there! If you don't, it'll be completely useless.

4) No, every job is completely separate. You can't equip abilities from other jobs.

5) Yes. Yes, it loving does. It's not because it's an old game, it's because the core design is flawed. You wanna compare the NES FF3 to this one? Look no further than comparing the boss HP.
Djinn: 480 / 600
Giant Rat: 450 / 900
Medusa: 980 / 3000

and it goes up and up and up from there :)

6) FF3-DS was balanced by the guy who also designed early FF11 and the first iteration of FF14. He is a sadist and should never actually be allowed to design game math.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 31, 2016

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Bravely Default
I appreciate the recommendation. I've already played Bravely, however. I've just been looking for something to play while I wait for DS3 to come out.

Ok, thanks for all of this. I appreciate you answering my questions.

As for not playing or getting a refund - I didn't buy the game. Was going through my sons shoebox of old games and found the DS cart at the bottom. I think it's the only FF out of 1-7 that I never played. It sounds horrible from the way you describe. I'll see how far I can get before I rage quit.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Am I crazy or has nobody talked about TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION? I did not see anything since it came out, certainly.

I mean, maybe it is because there is not much to do besides "shoot a man" and it is fairly straightforward, but I am determined to get the most out of this "free with purchase of keyboard" game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Am I crazy or has nobody talked about TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION? I did not see anything since it came out, certainly.

I mean, maybe it is because there is not much to do besides "shoot a man" and it is fairly straightforward, but I am determined to get the most out of this "free with purchase of keyboard" game

Assault Rifles and SMGs are the good weapons. Marksmen rifles are fine for leveling and specific situations in missions. Shotguns and LMGs aren't very good.
There's dick all to do at max level, so enjoy the leveling process. Get a signature skill of choice while levleing, they're worth the thousand resources.
You're going to want to get all three wings to 100% eventually, but missions, side missions and encounters will get you closed to max base by the time they get you to 30 in exp.
Don't be afraid to step into the dark zone while leveling if you find it fun.
Mobs scale up for the highest level member in the party. If someone offers to power level you on their 30, the leveling wont be much faster and you'll be fighting at least level 25 mobs that will one shot you.
For endgame stuff, bring some CC skills and heals. Rough target prioritization is Shotgun guys, snipers, healers, and then whatever else.

It's buggy as poo poo like all Ubisoft products, there's no game balance at all and the current thing to do at level cap is to exploit whatever the newest glitch is to get loot faster because there's nothing to actually do.