Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite was seeing someone write something like "you can stop looking because you've found your guy!" in his cover letter. Shine on, you confident bastard :allears:.

We didn't give him an interview, but we all got a decent laugh at least.

I did that one time and even fixed their website's lovely resume uploader (it didn't handle duplicates correctly). Included my thought process and 3 different ways to fix it blah blah.

They never called :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So I just got a new income agreement and it hilariously screams "holy loving poo poo don't leave tia." A nice 7% raise to base pay effective next week, along with doubling last year's bonus potential for this year. If I stay on through the end of 2017, an additional 7-8% to base pay next march, as well as a tripling of last year's bonus potential. I guess that settles my low-key job search and i'm staying, :toot:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

"I am willing to perform services in exchange for currency."

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

After two business partners, two vendors and time I finally got rid of the v- and got the blue badge. Yay! :toot:

Never going to have time to read the new RHCSA7 book :smith:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
As for the cover letter talk, put something in there to show you actually did at least a little bit of research on the company and took the time to personalize the cover letter. If you can't bother to put that much effort in, why should I hire you? It takes 10 minutes, tops.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Potato Alley posted:

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Exchanging my services for more money.

Also I got a "highly motivated individual" AND "fast learner" in a single resume today.

Hiring sucks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

adorai posted:

As for the cover letter talk, put something in there to show you actually did at least a little bit of research on the company and took the time to personalize the cover letter. If you can't bother to put that much effort in, why should I hire you? It takes 10 minutes, tops.

Because gently caress you, pay me that's what.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

adorai posted:

Counterpoint: I skip cover letters on all CVs I receive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Supporting argument: cover letters suck and I hate writing them. I already spent the last hour customizing my resume so it hits all your special snowflake requirements to get through HR.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adorai posted:

because I'm filling out close to 40 or 50 a week, and that's 400 to 500 minutes, so close to 5 - 7 hours of work, ontop of a 9-5 job, ontop of interviews, and if I'm loving qualified the least you could do is call me and tell me I didn't get the job so I'm not stuck waiting like a high school girl after prom.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

and also this, like half of you don't give a poo poo, the other does, but I have to give it my all, but not too much that I seem cloying, or trying too hard. When really, I should be able to hand you a list of previous employers verified by some service, and go "Ok, do I have what you need y/n?"

e: Interviews / job hunting is not going great you guys.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

because I'm filling out close to 40 or 50 a week, and that's 400 to 500 minutes, so close to 5 - 7 hours of work, ontop of a 9-5 job, ontop of interviews, and if I'm loving qualified the least you could do is call me and tell me I didn't get the job so I'm not stuck waiting like a high school girl after prom.

This too. For any job you're not mass blasting applications to get, you already have a contact that makes a cover letter redundant. "You should hire me because we've worked on the same projects for 5 years and you told me about this position. See you at golf."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, Job Hunting has made me realize that after a loving month of looking, that doing poo poo all, under a bunch of people who have no idea what IT should be doing, with the chance of getting a raise later, that I could basically do gently caress all all day and collect a fat check.

I mean yeah, my Boss bribed me to plant key loggers to counter corporate espionage, and yeah, a LOOOT of my ex-coworkers were jacking it at work. In excess. To a disgusting degree, but really, every job has problems, and if I got to another interview and ask what I'm bringing to the table, I'm probably just going to start making fat jokes. Not for any other reason then gently caress it, I'm tired of looking, and maybe I'll get a job if I go with a gimmick.

E: Apparently, my Boss thinks that ADD will just confuse our investors, as it shares a name with you know, ADD, so I have to change the name of it. He told me just use something vague and tech sounding. So I'm going with CDD, Computer Domain Directory.

E2: I'm going to drink this whole bottle of Glen Fiddich, and then write Cover Letters, hopefully someone will get a laugh or something I don't know. I'll print them out on 220lb card stock, that way you can't fold it, bend it or shred it.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 29, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

[Pours Turtlicious another glass of whisky.]

It's okay man. Let it all out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I used to write cover letters but there has been one single job I've applied for where I was really like "Holy poo poo working at this place would own" and it was MLBAM and they never responded to my application at all.

I don't bother now. My resume has the details and the fact that I'm sending it to you shows I'm interested.

Turtlicious posted:

E: Apparently, my Boss thinks that ADD will just confuse our investors, as it shares a name with you know, ADD, so I have to change the name of it. He told me just use something vague and tech sounding. So I'm going with CDD, Computer Domain Directory.

Just call it AD like everybody else, the domain is implied. Or just "The Domain" since the AD is already implied.

Or go stupid can call it the Windows-based LDAP Domain.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 29, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Honestly, Job Hunting has made me realize that after a loving month of looking, that doing poo poo all, under a bunch of people who have no idea what IT should be doing, with the chance of getting a raise later, that I could basically do gently caress all all day and collect a fat check.

I mean yeah, my Boss bribed me to plant key loggers to counter corporate espionage, and yeah, a LOOOT of my ex-coworkers were jacking it at work. In excess. To a disgusting degree, but really, every job has problems, and if I got to another interview and ask what I'm bringing to the table, I'm probably just going to start making fat jokes. Not for any other reason then gently caress it, I'm tired of looking, and maybe I'll get a job if I go with a gimmick.

E2: I'm going to drink this whole bottle of Glen Fiddich, and then write Cover Letters, hopefully someone will get a laugh or something I don't know. I'll print them out on 220lb card stock, that way you can't fold it, bend it or shred it.

Holy gently caress, keep posting stories because holy gently caress

Also yeah just called it AD or DS like everyone else, the product is called AD DS - Active Directory Domain Services. I have no idea why you'd call it ADD or CDD, that's just weird.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I should talk about my day today.

Last week, I set up a quick ticket system using google Forms. They send me a quick email through the form, I email them back saying the issue is resolved, and it allows me to keep track of my work. My boss tried to call me in early to fix like 6 or 7 computers that had randomly upgraded to Windows 10. Apparently, there had been a previous guy, and he had set up "special software" on those computers, and they weren't responding. Whatever, I go in and fix the issue, and set up the Sonic Wall to start blocking facebook and poo poo, so I don't have to install more "Special Software." I'm pretty sure that means key loggers, trojans, or something worse but whatever honestly who gives a poo poo I just wanted to get back to what I was initially doing, which was getting a google excel sheet to recognize time ranges so we could monitor productivity better.

Anyways, I get this one ticket, and it says, "Hey there's something wrong with my computer," I hit him up on Gchat to figure out wtf he's talking about, and apparently he's started a Windows 10 install mid shift, and he didn't tell his manager. This dude is in operations so it's bad.

I grab a Manager, and tell them to get the 10 Test Takers he's with transferred out, while I go over and set up a second computer for him, at the same time, I get like 5 more pings on my phone. Apparently, someone who got fired, went through and scheduled the Windows 10 install during one of our spikes, so like 20 or 30 computers were going down simultaneously. After a bit of panic, I decide gently caress it, kick a bunch of the accountants / sales workers, out of their private cubicles in the back and move the operations team in there. Then I grab some of the managers and explain what I need.

At this point, we're backed up by about 15 minutes, which is about when a CEO hops on and starts yelling at everyone to work better. I have to calmly explain to him to shut the gently caress up (in respectful words,) and that we're receiving an attack that's taking down our computers, but it's being handled. He leaves, and operations is back up and running, but the sales team / our like 3 CPA's want to know what they should do now that they don't have a place to work. I get permission from my boss, and then make them oversee the Windows 10 installs.**

Anyways, we end up falling behind for about 45 minutes, then everything is normal again, and an hour or two later windows 10 is installed on these machines. I have everyone switch back to their normal places and download their software for the company (Under my supervision,) and go check Drop Cam to see who the gently caress did this.

So yeah, gently caress that guy. Also gently caress my life, and this lovely job, but it's still better then working in Operations which makes me want to kill my co-workers then myself.

What is a normal IT job like?

** It should be noted that the CPA's who were salary decided to try and work from home, while the Salesmen who were hourly decided to stay and bullshit while overseeing the installs.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 29, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I applied for 3 companies only on my LinkedIn and got calls scheduled for each company so uhm wow.

Seriously. Stop working for lovely msps.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

OK, so I am not interested in hiring someone who is just blasting resumes out to every job available. I understand that you need a new job, but you are effectively the girl who sleeps with anyone with a pulse. If you couldn't take the time to customize your cover letter, I'm not going to take the time to interview you. It is better to just skip the cover letter than it is to send out some dumbass form letter that says "dear sir or madam i am a quick learner looking for room to grow k thx." Either you say gently caress it and don't bother with a cover letter, or put some effort in. Don't half rear end it, because that indicates your future level of effort if I were to hire you.

I personally would never bother with a cover letter, because my resume speaks for itself. I was merely responding to a question about them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adorai posted:

OK, so I am not interested in hiring someone who is just blasting resumes out to every job available. I understand that you need a new job, but you are effectively the girl who sleeps with anyone with a pulse. If you couldn't take the time to customize your cover letter, I'm not going to take the time to interview you. It is better to just skip the cover letter than it is to send out some dumbass form letter that says "dear sir or madam i am a quick learner looking for room to grow k thx." Either you say gently caress it and don't bother with a cover letter, or put some effort in. Don't half rear end it, because that indicates your future level of effort if I were to hire you.

I personally would never bother with a cover letter, because my resume speaks for itself. I was merely responding to a question about them.

Whoa, that came out of left field. What's wrong with a woman whose sexually active?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

adorai posted:

He's not experienced enough to be selective in his applications. You're not going to hire him for the jobs you're thinking of, anyways.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillHour posted:

He's not experienced enough to be selective in his applications. You're not going to hire him for the jobs you're thinking of, anyways.

Oh yeah, good point. I'm talking about Tier 1 Helldesk positions, not like... Sysadmin making 95k a year.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

Oh yeah, good point. I'm talking about Tier 1 Helldesk positions, not like... Sysadmin making 95k a year.

If you see an opening for a 95k a year Sysadmin position, don't ignore it because you don't feel qualified.
You're not qualified, but neither is your competition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cover letters can be worth a quick glance through, just to compare grammar and spelling with the more promising CV's. You would be surprised.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question: How ballsy would it be to have a contract already written up by my lawyer with me when I pitch the The Domain? It's got a 2 year term for 40k a year, as a System Administrator, with bonuses, compensations, and insurances spelled out, like on a scale of 1 - "Don't do it retard"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

Question: How ballsy would it be to have a contract already written up by my lawyer with me when I pitch the The Domain? It's got a 2 year term for 40k a year, as a System Administrator, with bonuses, compensations, and insurances spelled out, like on a scale of 1 - "Don't do it retard"

The lawyer thing doesn't do anything, even mentioning the word "Lawyer" would set off alarms.

Don't ask for a 2 year term. That binds you as well, you want to suck as much experience out of this as possible and jet.

Just ask for 60k a year + the same benefits package that full time employees like accountants get.
Bonuses are a scam if you don't trust your employer.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Reading your posts makes me feel dirty. Like somehow the shitness of your org is infectious and making me less capable just from knowing of its existence.

I hope you find something soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Basically the opposite of this

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Turtlicious posted:

I guess I should talk about my day today.

Well that's excellent ammo for why you absolutely need a system admin on site with a domain. The whole thing could have easily been avoided with good systems security.

As it is your company is a ticking time bomb. That one mad employee decided installing windows 10 was his attack method, but it could have easily been crypto or a keylogger sending information outside the company.

Just keep faith that normal businesses, even the stupid ones, understand minimal computer management is necessary. Your company is a lovely wild west of computers and they're getting everything they deserve so just try not to blame yourself.

edit; Don't block facebook. You'll give people reason to dislike you, which means you're first in line to be thrown under the bus. And they'll have reason to push back on a sysadmin overlord 'blocking' their productivity. Stick to computer security first and let social media traffic pass by unless dictated by your higher-ups.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 29, 2016

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
So are VRFs like a VLAN's big brother where they have unique routing tables and are used to isolate routing information? Reading some ASR configs from someone higher up than me and trying to understand what's going on with them.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've been reading this thread for a few years now. Every now and then I saw a book about time management being posted here.
I'm thinking about buying it now.
Is this the book that this thread has been recommending?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/376236.Time_Management_for_System_Administrators

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Turtlicious posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022717&userid=124874&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post390143101
Backpedaling...
it's not a scan but just a picture of the back of a camera displaying the picture that we need within a word doc that had been zipped up using winrar and saved as a .txt file somehow instead of a .doc

I extracted images from .txt file for you all to enjoy

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 29, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

edit; Don't block facebook. You'll give people reason to dislike you, which means you're first in line to be thrown under the bus. And they'll have reason to push back on a sysadmin overlord 'blocking' their productivity. Stick to computer security first and let social media traffic pass by unless dictated by your higher-ups.

Seriously this. Stuff like "don't go on Facebook at work" should be handled by their supervisor, not IT, unless someone above you orders you to block it.

Don't forget this is 2016 so if they want to go on Facebook they'll just pull out their phone. Blocking social media is completely pointless unless you're in a reception dead zone or you're in a highly secured facility or something.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know how much HackerRank charges per pre-screen coding exam, or generally how much that kind of service generally is to the employer?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sheep posted:

Seriously this. Stuff like "don't go on Facebook at work" should be handled by their supervisor, not IT, unless someone above you orders you to block it.

Don't forget this is 2016 so if they want to go on Facebook they'll just pull out their phone. Blocking social media is completely pointless unless you're in a reception dead zone or you're in a highly secured facility or something.

My helpdesk guy was poking around in firewall options, and sent me a list of poo poo he wanted to block. This was after like 6 people were streaming March Madness basketball games last week.

"People are wasting bandwidth", "they shouldn't be doing this at work", etc

I told him to leave it wide open. it's not worth the hassle or meetings I'm going to be dragged into when people start getting blocked. I let him turn ONE category on, I can't rembemer what it was but I think it was "known attack sites" or something like that. Within two hours someone put a ticket in, one of our own websites was blocked. Hosted on a third party service, but still.

I just told him "See? Not worth it. Just open it back up. If people are loving around, someone will tell on them and we'll have their traffic logs and then HR can do what they wish."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're the opposite. Block all the poo poo and whitelist known internal sites. If people complain, too bad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

We're the opposite. Block all the poo poo and whitelist known internal sites. If people complain, too bad.

That works if it's like that from the beginning. If you just up and do that out of nowhere, heads will roll.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

That works if it's like that from the beginning. If you just up and do that out of nowhere, heads will roll.

We had to do that for a client and it was a poo poo show. It just isn't worth the hassle

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Our other division recommended everyone's personal cellphone be on the wireless network with direct access to company assets, to protect the O365 data on the phones. Blocking Hulu/Netflix on that network and leaving it running on the "visitor" network lets the free market sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Come now, that should be fold, spindle or mutilate :corsair: