Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Sure, Blizzard puts out the same formulaic expansion every 2 years. But Arena Network has always been innovative, and with Heart of Thorns they re-defined what can be called an MMO expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Come on down to Goldshire and have yourself a time

respectfully decline, it's not in my budget

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hmmm, I wonder if a certain dictator from the past would have deleted troublesome forum posts, hrrmmmm...

nobody outside Canada cares about Harper

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

ItBurns posted:

you have to know when to pull out

I wish your dad knew.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Lonk posted:

I wish your dad knew.

just use a wet wipe you big baby

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Sure, Blizzard puts out the same formulaic expansion every 2 years. But Arena Network has always been innovative, and with Heart of Thorns they re-defined what can be called an MMO expansion.

Agreed. I think it's really brave of ANet to forge new ground and call what they gave us a "fully -fledged video games MMORPG Content Expansion"

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
They should have just told us that Heart of Thorns was in beta, that way none of us could complain about any of it

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Early access GW2 expansion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

imagine how much a trainwreck things would have been if they hadn't had the beta weekends

remember when revenants could only have one weapon equipped at a time?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Johnny Joestar posted:

imagine how much a trainwreck things would have been if they hadn't had the beta weekends

remember when revenants could only have one weapon equipped at a time?

Have they even finished the revenant underwater skills or was that given up on too?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pesterchum posted:

Have they even finished the revenant underwater skills or was that given up on too?

I forgot underwater content existed

again

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

again

bring back daily underwater veteran slayer

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Your action bar completely disappearing when you're on the water's surface is still one of the dumbest deliberate decisions I've seen in any game of any genre. I'm sure they did it because they didn't think the animations looked proper, but I'd rather have a functioning game.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Mercury_Storm posted:

Your action bar completely disappearing when you're on the water's surface is still one of the dumbest deliberate decisions I've seen in any game of any genre. I'm sure they did it because they didn't think the animations looked proper, but I'd rather have a functioning game.
something something clipping

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

again

so did anet

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think this is probably why Anet doesn't communicate with it's playerbase, giant shitstorm from a couple posts.

Course the posts were about cutting promised content and about the impossible struggles of changing the text in LFG to include raids, but probably would of gone better for them if cutting legendary weapons was done silently after releasing the two new ones and then everyone would just assume it's regular Anet patching schedule that they been waiting 1-2 years for the next batch to come out.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
"Why are they all so mad? Because we lied to them? Are you sure??"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Only way to win now is not to play, at least you have a chance with the lottery, makes u thikn

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
And yet, the base game is still real good. I'm glad I took a break from gw2 after HoT released. Now I have a bunch of content to jump into while we wait for the next big thing.

Ok so hey, I have few questions about ascended armor stats and class usefullness in higher fractals. I want to get full ascended armor on one character for fractals, while at the same time I plan on making it be viper armor because I have poo poo I can convery already. I plan in getting vipers for my ranger and necro. Because I really want my necro to shine, I wanted that one to get the ascended vipers. However, I have heard ascended armor isn't a big stat boost over exotic, so for vipers I'm assuming it doesn't matter if the necro gets the ascended armor or not. Is this the correct way to look at it?

See, I also want the ascended chest and leg skins of light armor to mix for my mesmer and necromancer. It's just easier to get it on my necromancer, but I am unsure as to how effective a necromancer is in higher fractals. I remember a year or so ago when Bird was telling me about class usage in higher tier fractals. At the time, necromancers brought very little for party aid, and were mostly a self sufficient class. Now with HoT and further balance changes, how well do necros fair in high fractals? Also is condi affective in high level fractals, or does this all not matter as I'll just be using power gear anyway?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Just make ascended berserker gear of whatever armor weight you play the most since it's generally more useful if you're only going to have one set. poo poo's not hard.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah but I'm trying to make viper gear, and I'm already have like 2-3 pieces I can convert if possible. I just don't want to have to double down on zerk gear later if condi just isn't gonna cut it for fractals.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The "Ascended isn't a huge stat boost over exotic" was an old saying from pre-HoT. With Viper's gear it's a bit more important due to Expertise and how not-readily available the trinkets are. It's about a 9% difference, give or take, depending on what metric you use. But Exotic Viper is about the same pain in the rear end to make as Ascended, so may as well just jump to the end.

Use gw2skills to compare your specific gear numbers for yourself:
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

Any class in Champ Fractals is fine. It's all the same Swampfarm.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean if you're going to spend the hundreds of gold/tens of hours getting ascended armor i figure it'd be smarter to make a set that more characters can use. Aka berserker. But I have altitis so ymmv

Edit: also lol condi ranger

Xun fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 29, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh no, I have altitis too, but I'm not gonna switch armor between characters. Anyway, if it doesnt matter then I'll get the ascended vipers for my necro. I'm not gonna have ascended other poo poo for it until I can afford it from raiding (so never). I am less caring about having good viper stats on my ranger and/or engineer so I'll just leave those as exotic for now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

The "Ascended isn't a huge stat boost over exotic" was an old saying from pre-HoT.

What the heck are you talking about. Weapons have always been a worthwhile investment because of the damage boost. Armour is objectively not a huge stat boost over exotic. That's not an "old saying" wtf

You get ascended armour for the agony slots for fractals beyond what you can do with rings/accessories, same as always

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

As I posted in the next two sentences, Ascended Armor is now an objective and tangible stat bonus over Exotic for Viper's gear. And that's not the only example, people looking for Commander's gear will get an above norm bonus as well.

And yes, it was an old saying, it was a lazy way for people to describe how to obtain Zerk/Soldier/vendor-purchaseable gear because it used to be relevant across the board. That is no longer the case.

And I never discounted the "get your ascended weapons first" idea, which is still true today. Dunno why you sperged out on this like that :psyduck:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

As I posted in the next two sentences, Ascended Armor is now an objective and tangible stat bonus over Exotic for Viper's gear. And that's not the only example, people looking for Commander's gear will get an above norm bonus as well.

And yes, it was an old saying, it was a lazy way for people to describe how to obtain Zerk/Soldier/vendor-purchaseable gear.

And I never discounted the "get your ascended weapons first" idea, which is still true today. Dunno why you sperged out on this like that :psyduck:

You said the statement that ascended not being a huge stat bonus was an old saying, which is a really odd and wrong thing to say. Pointing out that you're wrong about something isn't "sperging" fyi :psyduck:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 29, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh yeah, I need to get weapons too. That'll be a much bigger pain, as I don't have any weaponcraft leveled to 500. Well at least weapons aren't as expensive as armor.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You said the statement that ascended not being a huge stat bonus was an old saying, which is a really odd and wrong thing to say. Pointing out that you're wrong about something isn't "sperging" fyi :psyduck:

Sure, thanks for the pedantry. "'Ascended armor is not a huge stat boost' was an old saying". Which is what my original post was talking about in context anyways. Jesus.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

nice gear treadmill

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Sure, thanks for the pedantry. "'Ascended armor is not a huge stat boost' was an old saying". Which is what my original post was talking about in context anyways. Jesus.

You're unusually upset for someone who has lovely reading comprehension, I was crystal clear with quoting your specific line :psyduck:

And you're still wrong. It's not a "huge" stat boost. It's slight.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Technically, ascended 4-stat armor is a larger stat gain over ascended 3-stat armor, since the 4-stat armor has more points total to increase by whatever percent. It's most noticeable for Celestial but the only reason you'd make Celestial Ascended armor is WvW roaming on elementalist or something like that, and the difference there is like a single percent more stats gained compared to 3-stat armor.

And it's still not really much in practice, you get like 0.73% more condition duration, 0.5% crit, and about a single might application's worth of power and condition damage by making your viper armor Ascended instead of Exotic (going by the http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ calculator). Upgrading your accessories from exotic to ascended is still twice the stat gain as upgrading armor.

As for condition builds in fractals, there's a few spots you'll run into problems:

- Molten Facility final boss core thing doesn't receive conditions
- Dredge fractal boss doesn't appear to take extra condition damage while the Superheated buff is active
- Traps in Swamp fractal use your own stats to apply their cripple and immobilize, so you need to be especially careful when running wisps with a condi build

Nothing huge, and the traps can be avoided, but I don't personally play a condition build in fractals so there could be some I haven't seen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

you get like 0.73% more condition duration, 0.5% crit, and about a single might application's worth of power and condition damage by making your viper armor Ascended instead of Exotic

To quote the next god-emperor of the united states, that's "yyyyyuuuuuuge" indeed

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

I think the new bubble glider will push me to create an ele that looks like Glinda the good... Do I consider the Asura as munchkins then?

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Next expansion will be 4 new maps completely underwater but don't worry they'll release 16 new legendary weapons--all underwater weapons.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

And it's still not really much in practice, you get like 0.73% more condition duration, 0.5% crit, and about a single might application's worth of power and condition damage by making your viper armor Ascended instead of Exotic (going by the http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ calculator). Upgrading your accessories from exotic to ascended is still twice the stat gain as upgrading armor.

Aaah, ok. So in other words don't worry about the stat gain. So this in turn leaves me with two options. Converting my ascended poo poo to vipers because it is the easier way to get vipers as I have some ascended gear already, or just leaving it zerk or what not so I can use it for AR in fractals.

That actually makes things a lot easier to figure out. I could just as well only do weapons and accessories and make it well enough into fractals as it is. So maybe I'll convert the poo poo over to vipers. Thanks guys!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CLAM DOWN posted:

To quote the next god-emperor of the united states, that's "yyyyyuuuuuuge" indeed

gently caress you feel the bern

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Aaah, ok. So in other words don't worry about the stat gain. So this in turn leaves me with two options. Converting my ascended poo poo to vipers because it is the easier way to get vipers as I have some ascended gear already, or just leaving it zerk or what not so I can use it for AR in fractals.

That actually makes things a lot easier to figure out. I could just as well only do weapons and accessories and make it well enough into fractals as it is. So maybe I'll convert the poo poo over to vipers. Thanks guys!

Those numbers are not the full story. When you factor in the condi damage, you're gaining 6% more overall condi stats, not to mention the Power increase.

Anyways, def keep a set of Zerk Ascended gear if you have it already and have the option to keep it. All 3 light armor classes can viably use them, of course Elementalist and Mesmer a tad more than Necromancer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

AnacondaHL posted:

Those numbers are not the full story. When you factor in the condi damage, you're gaining 6% more overall condi stats, not to mention the Power increase.

Anyways, def keep a set of Zerk Ascended gear if you have it already and have the option to keep it. All 3 light armor classes can viably use them, of course Elementalist and Mesmer a tad more than Necromancer.

how could anyone trying to escape a loot treadmill game like wow not want this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I have a pile of ascended armor and no one's managed to kill me in months. Stuff's absolutely broken. Upgrade as quickly as you can.

• Locked thread