Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Needing advice for moving/shipping lots of belongings to the US.

It's mainly clothing, electronics, furniture (kotatsu table), 3 bikes and tools. What options do I have for this? Anyone have experience moving across the ocean with most of their stuff?

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

join the military and have them do it for you

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In my experience you do one of the following:
A) Get your company to pay for space in a container, and end up having to throw away half the poo poo anyway when it arrives months later since you've already bought something local
B) Throw poo poo away

A kotatsu? In Merica? Just turn on the drat heater, they work better there.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
If you're really emotionally attached (I get it, I love kotatsu as well) you can probably make your own. Looks like there's a decent amount of tutorials online.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You really have to have a good think if you really want that stuff you want to ship over. Shipping things like the bikes and the kotatsu will be expensive enough that the shipping cost will be 50% to 100%+ of the cost of the actual item depending on how expensive your stuff is. For the electronics, you have to be more specific since stuff like a laptap or game console can easily be taken as luggage but if we're taking about a TV or a microwave or something then it'll be the same as the above situation. My advice? Sell and buy new in the US.

Even shipping your clothes and other smaller items in a medium sized box weighing ~20kg by surface will set you back about ~10000yen so try and fit as much as possible in your luggage.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 25, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How exactly do you get access to your money in Japan if you're not wanting to pull it from your credit card (thus incurring immediate interest hits) and would rather pull it from your bank? Do people just set up an account with a bank which has branches there? It's a silly small practical question with a likely obvious answer but everywhere I'm reading about this people are just saying to use the 7/11 ATMs with a credit card which is an instant 17% surcharge.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Use a bank atm/debit card at one of the aforementioned places.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Use a bank atm/debit card at one of the aforementioned places.

How are the exchange rates typically at those? And yes now that I'm googling more specifically about it, it does seem that my debit card from the bank should work at some of these 7/11 and similar. Thanks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Debit card with pin. Exchange rates are actually decent at atms and even airport kiosks. Tell your home bank in advance and confirm your daily max.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't do cash advances on a credit card, you idiot.

Use your debit card plus PIN. It might have a 1% foreign transaction fee.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Look at your debit card and check if you have the Cirrus logo on it (most will). If it does then you can use it at some atms in most countries around the world.

In Japan, post office atms (which are everywhere) are part of the Cirrus network so using a foreign debit card is really easy in Japan.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 26, 2016

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Stopped by Critical Hit in Nagoya tonight for a few drinks and some Mario Kart. Great bar if you want to play some classic games. Thanks for the recommendation, Phone. Will probably return before I continue on to Kyoto on April 10th. Maybe we will run into each other there...

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

How exactly do you get access to your money in Japan if you're not wanting to pull it from your credit card (thus incurring immediate interest hits) and would rather pull it from your bank? Do people just set up an account with a bank which has branches there? It's a silly small practical question with a likely obvious answer but everywhere I'm reading about this people are just saying to use the 7/11 ATMs with a credit card which is an instant 17% surcharge.

Walk around with thousands of dollars in your pocket and don't worry about all that bullshit. Always worked for me.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 26, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

extravadanza posted:

Stopped by Critical Hit in Nagoya tonight for a few drinks and some Mario Kart. Great bar if you want to play some classic games. Thanks for the recommendation, Phone. Will probably return before I continue on to Kyoto on April 10th. Maybe we will run into each other there...

Glad you liked it! I'll be there tomorrow (Monday) night.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So uh, speaking of Shinkansen events, I accidentally walked onto the platform where there's an Eva themed train. The JR West lady handed out bookmark sized flyers with the time table, it's pretty awesome to see all of the people taking photos of it.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Any goons wanna hang? I leave for Tokyo Monday. Will also be in Kyoto, Hiroshima, Neyagawa, Fukuoka and Nagoya.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

cosmicprank posted:

Any goons wanna hang? I leave for Tokyo Monday. Will also be in Kyoto, Hiroshima, Neyagawa, Fukuoka and Nagoya.

I'll give you my standard foreigner visiting Fukuoka food and drinking tour!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

I'll give you my standard foreigner visiting Fukuoka food and drinking tour!
He's legit

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Come and watch Netflix at my house. You have to sit on the floor though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you have a six of Dew and are we gonna watch Akira?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Do you have a six of Dew and are we gonna watch Akira?

I have yamazaki and we're going to watch House of Cards.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Phone posted:

Glad you liked it! I'll be there tomorrow (Monday) night.

Unfortunately I won't be in the city today (Monday). I'm actually working about an hour outside of Nagoya and staying in a hotel in Kariya. Will maybe stop by this weekend though... I'll be heading into town for the Inuyama Festival most likely.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm in town tomorrow and on the 1st. Then I'm out of Nagoya until my next trip to Japan.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Count me in for a Tokyo goon meet if anyone is interested.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Alright, revised schedule for mid April-may, input welcome!

18 Apr - 29 Apr Yokosuka for work w/lots of trips to Tokyo
29 Apr - 9 May Fukuoka with lots of trips around Kyushu (Ned you still up for drinks?)
9 May - 13 May Osaka w/ day trip to himeji and Nara
13 May - 16 May Kyoto because there's a festival or something
16 May - 20 May Tokyo with a friend for sight seeing and Sumo
20 May - 30 May No clue where to go or what to do
31 May homeward bound

Any suggestions on somewhere to go 20-30 May? I'd like to stick to one or two areas, moving hotels all the time is draining, and I like kinda settling in to meet people and stuff. Am I missing anything cool?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

JacksLibido posted:

Alright, revised schedule for mid April-may, input welcome!

18 Apr - 29 Apr Yokosuka for work w/lots of trips to Tokyo
29 Apr - 9 May Fukuoka with lots of trips around Kyushu (Ned you still up for drinks?)
9 May - 13 May Osaka w/ day trip to himeji and Nara
13 May - 16 May Kyoto because there's a festival or something
16 May - 20 May Tokyo with a friend for sight seeing and Sumo
20 May - 30 May No clue where to go or what to do
31 May homeward bound

Any suggestions on somewhere to go 20-30 May? I'd like to stick to one or two areas, moving hotels all the time is draining, and I like kinda settling in to meet people and stuff. Am I missing anything cool?

Still up for drinks! Friend is taking over a bar/club and gets the keys on Friday, has renovations starting on the 4th and we'll be doing a soft open once construction is done and the grand opening during Golden Week so we should have a wonderful place for you to come and drink while you are here!

As far as 20th to the 30th, I'd make that decision once you have done some time in Japan. It is going to be a decision between big city and more rural areas and you should be able to figure out which you prefer more right beforehand. But I'd look into finding a nice beach where you can just chill and live the simple life.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

extravadanza posted:

Haha, that place is like a 4-minute walk from where I worked for a month and a half, and I never knew about it. :(

edit: Oh, according to street view, it didn't exist as of April 2014. I was there in September-October, maybe it just didn't exist yet.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 29, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

U inspired them

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He opened it up late 2014, November was grand opening iirc.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
At Shanghai airport right now, flight to Japan in an hour. Honestly, I'm surprised it lets me on this website. Six days in Tokyo (Meguro/Kawasaki/Asakusa) two in Kyoto, three in the Neyagawa/Osaka area, one in Hiroshima, two in Fukuoka and then two more in Nagoya before a final day in Tokyo then returning to Los Angeles. I'm a young dude (probably younger than most people on this forum) with no real concrete plan, just a few things on my iternerary. I booked this trip almost a year ago thinking I might of had to cancel it several times because of life thangs, but here I am! I don't have messaging on this forum but let me know goons :) I am easily amused and pretty down for anything.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Ned, Knuc U Kinte, Phone and net work error... all of those things sound gr8.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cosmicprank posted:

At Shanghai airport right now, flight to Japan in an hour. Honestly, I'm surprised it lets me on this website. Six days in Tokyo (Meguro/Kawasaki/Asakusa) two in Kyoto, three in the Neyagawa/Osaka area, one in Hiroshima, two in Fukuoka and then two more in Nagoya before a final day in Tokyo then returning to Los Angeles. I'm a young dude (probably younger than most people on this forum) with no real concrete plan, just a few things on my iternerary. I booked this trip almost a year ago thinking I might of had to cancel it several times because of life thangs, but here I am! I don't have messaging on this forum but let me know goons :) I am easily amused and pretty down for anything.

Lol, you poor bastard. I flew through Shanghai as well and it was loving awful. For the $5/HR wifi, Facebook, everything Google related, Twitter, and imgur are Great Firewalled.

FB messenger? A bit spotty, but works.

Something awful forums? Go nuts, chief. The world is your oyster, have at it.

Anyways, here's my itinerary until the 5th if a goon wants to meet:
Today - Nagoya
Mar 30 - Kobe (busy)
Mar 31 - Kobe
Apr 1 - Nagoya
Apr 2 - Osaka/Kobe (JR pass expires)
Apr 3 - Osaka/Kobe
Apr 4 - Osaka/Kobe
Apr 5 - Raleigh

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 29, 2016

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
April 1st I'll be at a traditional businessman drinking party in Kariya. Our fates are simply not to play drunk Mario Party together.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I came from pudding last night and arrived at haneda. gently caress pudong. But hey at least I get to eat sushi zanmai

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
extravaganza: Ah, fair enough. We tried.

caberham, gonna change your av to say that you're tsundere for shanghai

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm hitting Shinjuku tomorrow, I'm going to the Robot Restaurant's 4 PM show. I don't know if any tickets are left ($65 for the 4 PM show) but I'd be down for meeting before or after the show.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Azubah posted:

I'm hitting Shinjuku tomorrow, I'm going to the Robot Restaurant's 4 PM show. I don't know if any tickets are left ($65 for the 4 PM show) but I'd be down for meeting before or after the show.

Robot restaurant. Lmfao.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tbh I'm hella jelly

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Don't go to the stupid loving robot restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I think you should do whatever seems appealing to you, no matter how kitschy or tourist trappy it appears. Whether or not an experience you get when touring is authentic or respectable or whatever doesn't matter so long as you honestly enjoy it.

On that not, anything cool up in Niigata? I'm spending the weekend up there and I'll have all of Saturday free. I was thinking about going to Sado Island but if it'll take a whole day...