Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Main Paineframe posted:

Asp Explorer, with an A-rated shield (which, so far, I have yet to regret). I've noticed it's got a decent number of weapon mounts, but it flies awfully enough that I can't imagine it's a decent dogfighter. That's why I'm wondering if turrets are at least usable - so I don't have to turn that loving whale of a ship all the way around to at least annoy AIs into "fight" mode rather than "chase" mode.

Turrets on an asp would totally suck. Go with a gimballed laser/mc mixture. They're not as bad at dogfighting as you would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah, all of the asp hardpoints are like on the front of the ship anyway. I can't imagine turrets on an asp would get a good firing arc, especially not on anything behind you.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Annath posted:

Like actually doing the missions? Or can you still abandon-sell-repeat with slaves?

You can still just sell the slaves straight back to commodities market. I made around 250M yesterday with a 276 ton Python.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The A-rated combat fitted Asp Explorer can pitch perfectly well. Try 2 medium gimballed pulse lasers and 4 small gimballed cannons for when you just want to kill your NPC interdictors.

It probably handles well enough to use entirely fixed weapons too, if that's your thing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zinjnok posted:

You can still just sell the slaves straight back to commodities market. I made around 250M yesterday with a 276 ton Python.

Is this doable with a lovely exploration Hauler if I fit some cargo holds? Obviously the earnings will be smaller at first, but I wanna print some money.

Does it require rep/rank?

Haven't played since before Horizons, so I apologise if this is common knowledge.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

SplitSoul posted:

Haven't played since before Horizons, so I apologise if this is common knowledge.

Yeah I also wouldn't mind a quick, "Here is what you do" post about this.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Zinjnok posted:

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing - what's the best way to deal with all the fines you rack up while doing this?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eryxias posted:

Yeah I also wouldn't mind a quick, "Here is what you do" post about this.

Plenty advice on these topics in the PGS thread. Also, join the frogs and ask in Discord. It's essentially step one for beating the game. The rest of the steps are "do what Kermit tells you".

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Chalks posted:

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing - what's the best way to deal with all the fines you rack up while doing this?

Never pay them and get the hell out of Dodge before a week your first fine.

Wait two weeks as the dormant bounty quietly becomes a legacy fine. If you pissed off a faction or factions and made them hostile, their rep with you may naturally go back to be "unfriendly"

Go back and repeat the whole thing over again :getin:

This works for now, but there's talk of the new mission system where having 'legacy fines' in the millions might come back to bite you in the rear end.

Not likely tho. :frontear:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

Never pay them and get the hell out of Dodge before a week your first fine.

Wait two weeks as the dormant bounty quietly becomes a legacy fine. If you pissed off a faction or factions and made them hostile, their rep with you may naturally go back to be "unfriendly"

Go back and repeat the whole thing over again :getin:

This works for now, but there's talk of the new mission system where having 'legacy fines' in the millions might come back to bite you in the rear end.

Not likely tho. :frontear:

If I read the wiki page right, it seems to imply that if you die with a fine on you it becomes a legacy fine: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty

I guess this is incorrect based on your advice, otherwise I'd just buy a sidewinder and fly it into the sun before the fines become bounties to avoid the two week wait.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Is this doable with a lovely exploration Hauler if I fit some cargo holds? Obviously the earnings will be smaller at first, but I wanna print some money.

Does it require rep/rank?

Here is the writeup: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post455660832

You really need something with 150+ cargo that can land on a medium pad, so it pretty much requires a python. You might also need to do regular Robigo runs doing Shadow Deliveries first to get the CDE rep up.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I think I've read somewhere that from a certain point onwards Elite won't support Oculus any longer (only Vive)? Were I high or it actually happened?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That's really wrong. Elite is a launch title on the Oculus store. I'm using it in VR right now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TomR posted:

That's really wrong. Elite is a launch title on the Oculus store. I'm using it in VR right now.

Trip report? VR is pretty high on my wishlist.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm using it with my DK2 and it's really good. They added some timewarp technology and now I never get any judder, even when I have the graphics settings way too high. You can still tell it's not hitting the frame rate but the view doesn't jump around anymore. It's really smooth. If you had a consumer Rift it would be perfect. I have a GTX 970 because I'm sure someone will ask.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

froody guy posted:

I think I've read somewhere that from a certain point onwards Elite won't support Oculus any longer (only Vive)? Were I high or it actually happened?

They didn't keep up with Oculus updates after like 0.5 because they didn't want to have to keep loving with it for new versions, it's all cool now.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

They didn't keep up with Oculus updates after like 0.5 because they didn't want to have to keep loving with it for new versions, it's all cool now.

So even in the future, full support for both Rift and Vive is granted?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

froody guy posted:

So even in the future, full support for both Rift and Vive is granted?

This game is being sold on the dedicated Oculus store, I imagine they don't plan on dropping Rift support.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Tippis posted:

How honest do you want to keep yourself?

If the game fucks you over with insta-interdiction bugs, are you willing to gently caress the game over right back? Because you can do that, but it borders on cheating…

Beyond that, it's (as always) a matter of what you're flying in relation to what they're flying when it comes to whether it's better to stay and fight or try to low-wake out.

I am interested in your secret fuckery, even if Main Painframe isn't

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol if the Rift's flagship game decided "you know what, go gently caress yourselves" and went all in with Vive (which is extremely unlikely given Rift's market share)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I am interested in your secret fuckery, even if Main Painframe isn't

Alt-tab and kill process whenever you get interdicted.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rectus posted:

Here is the writeup: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post455660832

You really need something with 150+ cargo that can land on a medium pad, so it pretty much requires a python. You might also need to do regular Robigo runs doing Shadow Deliveries first to get the CDE rep up.

Okay, so it's impossible unless you're already suitably spacerich. That sucks.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Nah, I started Robigo with just enough money to buy an Asp, then when I made my first 100 million went and bought a Python. There are enough lower quantity missions that you can get a start with a smaller ship, so you should be able to get to a cargo fit ASP using an even smaller ship. You'll just have to be a little more patient finding the missions you can accept. You can even fill your hold piecemeal by accepting all of the Shadow Deliveries quests you can find, sell the slaves, then get scanned before the missions expire to get rid of them without a rep hit.

There's probably faster ways to get the 6-7 million you need for a cargo Asp, but you could absolutely start with something smaller. The only difference more cargo means is more missions and higher returns.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just saw this on Reddit. 2 months out into the black, a brave pilot tries to buzz a canyon to show off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il75zE7wPeY

It should properly be titled "what's an altimeter?".

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

SplitSoul posted:

Nah, it's not too hard. You can easily make 5 million or more even in a Cobra fitted for smuggling. The Asp is probably ideal for Robigo runs, and you can make several million more per run than the Cobra..

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

Just saw this on Reddit. 2 months out into the black, a brave pilot tries to buzz a canyon to show off.

:D

Possible alternate title “so what's the G stat on this rock, again?”

It's only 0.3, but it looks like he's not getting the up-thrust he's expecting, which… ehrm… has been known to happen if you under-size your thrusters for exploration purposes. Not that I'd know that or anything.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Tippis posted:

It's only 0.3, but it looks like he's not getting the up-thrust he's expecting, which… ehrm… has been known to happen if you under-size your thrusters for exploration purposes. Not that I'd know that or anything.

Yeah he came in far too steep for his puny thrusters. You really want better than Ds on medium+ ships.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

I splurged on some A grade thrusters compared to my C Thrusters for my FAS and drat what a difference even on a 0.11g world. I can only imagine how badly I will pancake with my bad habits on anything approaching a whole 1 G, where crashing to death would actually be a risk without turning of flight assist and pointing my nose straight down while hitting the boosters too long.

Speaking of thruster control on planets, does anybody know offhand what ship has the greatest proportional thruster power? Even if it actually had some armor on it? Would that be the Imperial Courier? Also I'm only just now learning the iCourier has a lighter hull than an Eagle.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

Actually what he did was perfectly fine flying - for an Imperial Courier.

The Asp Explorer has terrible braking and lateral control. It slides around at high speeds and is the most uncontrollable ship I've ever used when hitting boost. It has a longer braking distance under boost than even my Imperial Clipper, which has notoriously weak lateral thrusters.

I'd never do a canyon run in one normally and I'd definitely not even consider it with what I assume was the lightest shield possible intended just for landings.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Section Z posted:

I splurged on some A grade thrusters compared to my C Thrusters for my FAS and drat what a difference even on a 0.11g world. I can only imagine how badly I will pancake with my bad habits on anything approaching a whole 1 G, where crashing to death would actually be a risk without turning of flight assist and pointing my nose straight down while hitting the boosters too long.

Speaking of thruster control on planets, does anybody know offhand what ship has the greatest proportional thruster power? Even if it actually had some armor on it? Would that be the Imperial Courier? Also I'm only just now learning the iCourier has a lighter hull than an Eagle.
Depending on the loadout it looks to be the iCourier with the vulture following a very close second.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Actually what he did was perfectly fine flying - for an Imperial Courier.

The Asp Explorer has terrible braking and lateral control. It slides around at high speeds and is the most uncontrollable ship I've ever used when hitting boost. It has a longer braking distance under boost than even my Imperial Clipper, which has notoriously weak lateral thrusters.

I'd never do a canyon run in one normally and I'd definitely not even consider it with what I assume was the lightest shield possible intended just for landings.

Am I the only one who finds it so amusing that the Asp Explorer has terrible maneuvering when exploring in atmosphere? I wonder if the Diamondback Explorer fares much better there?

Though to be fair, I suppose the term in ED was billed before in atmosphere was even A Thing. Plus it's better marketing to call them "Explorer", than "Long Distance"

Astroniomix posted:

Depending on the loadout it looks to be the iCourier with the vulture following a very close second.

I loving love the Vulture more and more every day, and I'd still be flying it right now if not for wanting more internal space to go with with my Large Mounts and Outposts landing preferences. At least the FAS has been pretty nice so far though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He'd have been fine if he hadn't boosted straight down when he was only 900m high. Probably.

Also, atmosphere... are you posting from the future? :awesomelon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Imperial courier actually doesn't have all that good lateral thrusters and will drift around quite a bit, especially under gravity. I'm 90% sure the vulture is better at that.

Asp is funny though, especially with D thrusters. I bought one yesterday, slapped on D everything except power plant and FSD and it's absolutely hilarious how the thing will not turn. It spins around very quickly, especially in the blue zone where I think it'll spin way faster than its size should allow it to, but actually changing your velocity from top speed without boosting takes like 30 seconds.

I avoid CFIT by boosting into the sky.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Apparently Frontier gave him a new ship and teleported him back to where he was, 55,000LY out.

It's supposed to be Elite Dangerous! :colbert:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well the 2 months of map data he was carrying is still gone, so there's that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Literally Kermit posted:

Go to a system called LHS 20 which will have all you need. If it does not, nearby Borr will!

These systems are under the influence of a power that gives 15% discounts on ships and outfitting. Buy this:

Does this mean if I buy things here and sell them elsewhere I'll turn a 15% profit, or do they sell at cost anywhere?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No, the sell price is set at what it cost you at the time you bought it AFAIK.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I have tried the new Oculus runtime with DK2 in Elite. And it was good. Very good. loving good.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Zinjnok posted:

I forgot to refit my Python before going to Robigo, so now I'm out there with a bunch of guns and only 128T of cargo space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Annath posted:

I forgot to refit my Python before going to Robigo, so now I'm out there with a bunch of guns and only 128T of cargo space.

You can get cargo racks at Takurua.

• Locked thread