Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I enjoyed the interviews with Sacha Baron Cohen, especially the way he has a hot line to his lawyer about US Constitution Law questions. Most of the answers are "if the cops appear, get over the state line ASAP"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I enjoyed the interviews with Sacha Baron Cohen, especially the way he has a hot line to his lawyer about US Constitution Law questions. Most of the answers are "if the cops appear, get over the state line ASAP"

Yeah, that was a really good interview. I loved hearing about the process behind setting up his pranks. I'd highly advise people listen to that one if they were worried it would just be a bunch of Borat jokes. Lot of cool behind the scenes talk.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What if I only want Borat jokes

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, that was a really good interview. I loved hearing about the process behind setting up his pranks. I'd highly advise people listen to that one if they were worried it would just be a bunch of Borat jokes. Lot of cool behind the scenes talk.

yeah agreed, it was way better than I expected

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that was a great interview. It's funny how ali g got so famous by simply not doing interviews or answering criticism. I remember first watching it and it was amazing how people wouldn't get the joke and would earnestly answer his questions.

I think the only person that came out of it with any credit was the politician tony benn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YYroSudUs

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 25, 2016

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

What if I only want Borat jokes

He does the voice a few times, so maybe you'll be happy?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jippa posted:

Yeah that was a great interview. It's funny how ali g got so famous by simply not doing interviews or answering criticism. I remember first watching it and it was amazing how people wouldn't get the joke and would earnestly answer his questions.

I think the only person that came out of it with any credit was the politician tony benn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YYroSudUs

Boutros Boutros (Boutros Boutros) Ghali seemed to enjoy himself too

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I really enjoyed the Ben Hoffman interview, also.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
drat, the Friedkin interview blew me away and convinced me that I should stop dicking around and start catching up on his 60s / 70s movies that I've never seen. I've watched Killer Joe and Bug a bunch of times since they came out, I've seen The Exorcist or parts of it even more than that but after this post I'm gonna check out The French Connection for the first time. Fantastic episode.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Yeah that interview really made me want to watch The French Connection and Sorcerer. The Exorcist is a movie I make people watch when they say they're only peripherally culturally aware of it or whatever. They're always blindsided by the quality of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Astrochicken posted:

Yeah that interview really made me want to watch The French Connection and Sorcerer. The Exorcist is a movie I make people watch when they say they're only peripherally culturally aware of it or whatever. They're always blindsided by the quality of it.

CRUISING is actually great as well. It's kind of conflicted, but it only really serves the narrative in that regard. Pacino refuses to talk about it, which is a shame because it's really one of his best performances. It got overshadowed by the protests at the time. I understand why they happened, but it also created counter protests in which the patrons of somewhere like The Mine Shaft were counter protesting because they felt as though they were being told their lifestyle was being criticised by the protesters.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The iliza schlesinger interview was interesting. She seems a bit... intense, but hey, she's a funny comedian. I thought it was a pretty solid episode.

Edit: I like how there's typically one comedian who went on to become big in each season, and the only winner who was that person was Iliza. Amy Schumer was in a season, Gabriel Iglesias was in a season, Alonzo Bodden was in a season...

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 5, 2016

redmedicine
Mar 7, 2015
Friedkin's the man, need to listen to this. To Live and Die in LA is also essential

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rotinaj posted:

The iliza schlesinger interview was interesting. She seems a bit... intense, but hey, she's a funny comedian. I thought it was a pretty solid episode.

Edit: I like how there's typically one comedian who went on to become big in each season, and the only winner who was that person was Iliza. Amy Schumer was in a season, Gabriel Iglesias was in a season, Alonzo Bodden was in a season...

She's had some pretty good guests on her podcast too - Marc Summers, Jay Leno, etc

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The episode that just came out with Bonnie Voss/MacFarland was... Enjoyable to listen to, but when I thought about it after, it's incredibly self deprecating and weird. Looks like she's a standard comedian with loads of self loathing issues and angst.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
You guys weren't kidding about that Friedkin interview, it's great. I don't think I've heard him interviewed before.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Yeah the Friedken interview was great. It made me go back and rewatch To Live and Die in LA which I think is an underrated cops and robbers movie. Nothing still beats Heat though.

Fun fact: Friedken is married to Sherry Lansing who used to run Paramount, and 20th Century Fox before that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoyed the Bonnie McFarlane interview as well.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I really liked this last episode with Michael Rapaport, because I've always hated the poo poo out of him from a distance and getting some insider stuff from Maron makes me actually like him now. I always assume that anyone with that WATCH OUT I'M FROM NEW YAWWWWK 2REAL AYYYY attitude is someone who is technically from one of the Boroughs but moved to Long Island at the age of 2 and it usually grates one me. But this guy was legit, and Maron softened him up and had him gushing about how polite and helpful all his heroes have been. I still think his acting is a little forced but listening to him talk about how he appreciates the guidance and luck in his career instead of being like I JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS, BROOKLYN STYLE like I always thought he'd be was really awesome. This isn't the first time that's happened from a WTF podcast, Maron has a special touch.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Illinois Smith posted:

drat, the Friedkin interview blew me away and convinced me that I should stop dicking around and start catching up on his 60s / 70s movies that I've never seen.

The audiobook version of his autobiography "The Friedkin Connection" is read by Friedkin and is fantastic. If you liked the WTF episode, the audiobook is 20 hours of that. There are so many great stories about working with Pacino, making The Exorcist and how he hired guys to "talk" to places running bootleg copies of The Exorcist, guerilla film making with Sonny and Cher, taking a lovely cab to arrive late at the Academy awards, etc.

It's also a handy guide to his films because he just skips films (ex: The Guardian) that aren't essential.

EVERYBODY should watch SORCERER though:

The recently released BluRay (last year I think?) looks great. A criminally overlooked film in my opinion.

For anybody who hasn't seen it: it's nothing like The Exorcist, and "Sorcerer" is not literally a wizard, it's a truck. It's about sketchy guys driving trucks full of nitro glycerin over hazardous roads so they can stop an oil rig from blowing everything up. It's a remake of "The Wages of Fear" but I actually prefer Friedkin's version.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 17, 2016

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The Todd Rundgren interview was kind of interesting. Hearing Marc ask some long winded question and then Todd responding by saying "no, not really" was funny in a way. It seemed like Marc did not know much about his work and Todd picked up on that early on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

life is a joke posted:

I really liked this last episode with Michael Rapaport, because I've always hated the poo poo out of him from a distance and getting some insider stuff from Maron makes me actually like him now. I always assume that anyone with that WATCH OUT I'M FROM NEW YAWWWWK 2REAL AYYYY attitude is someone who is technically from one of the Boroughs but moved to Long Island at the age of 2 and it usually grates one me. But this guy was legit, and Maron softened him up and had him gushing about how polite and helpful all his heroes have been. I still think his acting is a little forced but listening to him talk about how he appreciates the guidance and luck in his career instead of being like I JUST TELL IT LIKE IT IS, BROOKLYN STYLE like I always thought he'd be was really awesome. This isn't the first time that's happened from a WTF podcast, Maron has a special touch.

I don't blame you for thinking this of Michael Rapaport prior to this interview, but he's definitely been very open and honest in interviews I've heard with him for many many years. I remember hearing interviews years ago about where he talked about his experience of being on films like Copland and just how he knew he was so lucky and happy to have the career he's had. Also I love that he's a die hard Knicks fan that is utterly delusional (like most Knicks fans) about the teams, but in an endearing and up front way.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

The Experiment posted:

The Todd Rundgren interview was kind of interesting. Hearing Marc ask some long winded question and then Todd responding by saying "no, not really" was funny in a way. It seemed like Marc did not know much about his work and Todd picked up on that early on.

I loved hearing Rundgren talk about Melt Banana.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Hearing Todd Rundgren say that XTC haven't done anything after Skylarking broke my nerdy little heart.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astrochicken posted:

Hearing Todd Rundgren say that XTC haven't done anything after Skylarking broke my nerdy little heart.

Hearing Rundgren tear into Partridge was interesting.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Experiment posted:

With few exceptions, I hate when Marc interviews musicians because he knows absolutely nothing about them and refuses to do any research.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

ChickenArise posted:

I loved hearing Rundgren talk about Melt Banana.

This was kind of funny to me because it was like it doesn't matter if you're a legendary producer and musician who has done a million things and still might be doing a lot of stuff, you will still get old and dorkily talk about music you're not really used to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That Al Lubell episode is good but also another sad addition to what I call the "There but for the grace of God go I" genre of WTFs. Guys who Marc could've ended up like if his mental illnesses were of a slightly different nature, if he didn't have a house to fall back on after the divorce, if he didn't have a lucky break or two, if he didn't have the perseverance and great timing and didn't put in all the work to start the podcast.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

life is a joke posted:

I really liked this last episode with Michael Rapaport, because I've always hated the poo poo out of him from a distance and getting some insider stuff from Maron makes me actually like him now.
I completely forgot what Michael Rapaport did in his career before that interview, then I remembered that I have this video saved on my browser toolbar just in case I need a never-fail laugh. Nothing he can do will ever top him shouting "SWEEP THE FUCKIN' LEG!" to the Broncos as Tom Brady runs for a 1st down (holy poo poo there's a word filter for that horrible monster. Good job Lowtax!).

Also I could not get through that Ethan Hawke interview. He sounded so full of himself.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Holey moley this susan sarandon interview!!! :catdrugs:

Wish they had spent more time talking about rocky horror though.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Did Louie sound like he was worked up/almost crying numerous times during this interview while talking about Horace & Pete? He must really pour himself into his works.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's a rule that Louis has to cry on WTF.

I thought the Julia Louis-Dreyfuss interview was pretty dull until the last 10 minutes. Marc seemed unusually nervous and spent the first 20 minutes telling her how funny she is as if she didn't know that.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Enjoyed the ep but julia def sounded peeved the whole episode. In a polite and cordial way though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Astrochicken posted:

Enjoyed the ep but julia def sounded peeved the whole episode. In a polite and cordial way though

Yeah, especially when the topic of the blow job scene in that Woody Allen movie came up. It was a weird interview as it seemed like Maron wanted to, well, have sex with her.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

You Am I posted:

Yeah, especially when the topic of the blow job scene in that Woody Allen movie came up. It was a weird interview as it seemed like Maron wanted to, well, have sex with her.

I mean, same.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

You Am I posted:

He puts off that vibe a lot in interviews. It's always weird

Edit: also, same

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The Louis CK and JLD interviews were great but that Susan Sarandon one was a dud. For someone that has always been an outspoken Hollywood liberal she doesn't come off as much of a thinker. Not that we should hold her up as some kind of an example, but I expected more substance. Marc was also extremely lazy by just going down her IMDB page. "So, Bull Durham. What was that like?"

Edit: Also, same.

JFC fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 23, 2016

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Yeah, Marc doesn't really do a whole ton of research for his interviews.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mst3kmann posted:

Yeah, Marc doesn't really do a whole ton of research for his interviews.

That's cause he's a "conversationalist." :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Susan Sarandon sounded stoned as gently caress.

• Locked thread