Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"Polis has been through some tough times over the years. The Great Fire of 1887 razed half of downtown, killed twenty, and left thousands homeless. The Linda's Dinner Theater shooting claimed sixteen lives. And of course, our greatest tragedy was the Tidal Wave Of Poop, killing hundreds of Polis' sons and daughters. But on this day, our two hundredth anniversary as a city, even as we look back and remember our lost we also look forward and say tomorrow can be better than today. We declare our defiance in the face of tragedy! We declare that we will build a larger, more poop-filled Turdbowl, and it shall be the envy of the world!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Poil posted:

How do canals work with poop dams? Can you make poop ponds?

kefkafloyd posted:

What's stopping this from overflowing over time?

Mad Wack posted:

keep building floodwalls around it until you have a giant tower of liquid poop?

TRON JEREMY posted:

i'm building a dam

zedprime posted:

The poop flew too close to the sun.

a) This played out better than I had possibly expected
b) New thread title? Cities: Skylines - The poop flew too close to the sun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hopefully imgur will come back soon and I can see the pics!!!

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Cities Skylines: The poop must flow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is there a mod that gets rid of the asinine soil mechanic for terraforming.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a mod that gets rid of the asinine soil mechanic for terraforming.

I looked the other day and didn't find anything. I want to start on an island map and go full dubai creating other islands for rich people but the whole soil for terraforming thing kinda ruins that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The old terraforming mod still works (without the soil mechanic).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

edit: nevermind

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 26, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So google now has Manheim in 3d. It's worth checking out because it's one of the only places in the world I've found that looks it has "city building video game" industrial areas. Just a grid of street with wall to wall dense industrial. Usually industrial areas have a lot more open space for parking and trucks, I don't know how this zone works. It's huge too.

https://goo.gl/maps/yugqRAT6xjA2

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I was updating my large water pump for the update, and while testing it I noticed that they've updated a lot of the old maps with rocks and cool ruins and castles 'n' poo poo. Really neat they did that. I haven't explored all of them but it kinda reminds me of looking around old the sims neighbourhoods.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So google now has Manheim in 3d. It's worth checking out because it's one of the only places in the world I've found that looks it has "city building video game" industrial areas. Just a grid of street with wall to wall dense industrial. Usually industrial areas have a lot more open space for parking and trucks, I don't know how this zone works. It's huge too.

Neat.

Also note the area is not spewing black smoke- I wish we could make industry like that in CS.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I still love how cars dont create pollution, apart from noise pollution.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Burns posted:

I still love how cars dont create pollution, apart from noise pollution.

They're all electric cars, but everyone installs a blue collar-tier sound system.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way, or a mod to change a map's style from Euro to Standard after I've already started playing on it? 40,000 residents later I realised I'm not actually a fan of the way the euro buildings look and kind of want to change them.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Baronjutter posted:

Haha, the street names are chemicals

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hmm so I made my little poo canal but after a few weeks it actually started to overflow and eventually flooded my city with poo water

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jel Shaker posted:

hmm so I made my little poo canal but after a few weeks it actually started to overflow and eventually flooded my city with poo water

With this latest patch C:S has truly become GOTY

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I finally decided to get into this, because I have a week in between courses and figured I could get it out of my system and now I'm worried because there's no way in hell I'm getting it out of my system.

After numerous disasters, I decided to turn on infinite money and see what kind of disaster I put together on my first serious run. It's actually in the green now but I think I overexpanded which is why all the abandoned buildings, but that isn't as important as subterranean interchanges.

My incomplete city, you can see clearly the empty spaces where things will one day go.

The convoluted mess that is the infrastructure of my city. The metro isn't a loop, the part that looks like a loop has two routes that both end at the industrial zone.

The main thing I put together is the underground highway that starts in the bottom right by Hillside manors, goes up to the port, over to the topmost industrial zone, and then down to the highway again.

The port complex isn't connected to anything except the underground highway (and an impossibly steep railroad tunnel) so whenever a boat comes in, I like to watch the flood of trucks cruising through the tunnels.

From there it goes to the northern industrial zone, where it has an entrance and exit (that gets impossibly jammed) and the world's most dangerous railway bridge that comes from the cargo port on the other side and would certainly kill somebody.

And then after another exit in the other industrial zone, it ends at the prison roundabout. I'm at about 65k and I'm starting to get the itch to start over now that I know some more, maybe get a nice map from the workshop and some other stuff. I'm mostly just surprised that it took me this long to get into this game.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For some reason the game doesn't recognize that I have any mods installed. I have many assets and mods subscribed. All assets properly show up in the Content Manager from the main menu to enable/disable them, but the Mods list only has the 3 default ones.

I did some cleaning up in mods through Steam earlier, and moved the game to a different disk. (Uninstalled from old location, reinstalled to new location.) But those shouldn't affect that, right?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
some progress on my current build

overview with old town boundary marked out to the left. probably going to go with a cologne style park ring round the former city walls.

modernist out of town office district + plus some redeveloped docks

big housing estate near what will be the edge of town

overview of the port as it currently stands (might to a bit of organising of warehouses later)

someone requested an upload for the edited version of this map. what's a good place to upload without registering?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I started running Realistic population, Travel Rebalance, and Rush Hour and my game has slowed to a crawl. Not in a "my machine is totally stressed out and I'm getting 2fps" way, but in a "no one wants to move into my city" way. After I reach around 1,200 cims, my growth just craters. No commercial or industrial demand, and just a sliver of residential on occasion. In this current map I'm playing, I have a ton of residential and commercial zoned and nothing growing in it, and it's been that way for a while. Is this normal, or have I screwed something up?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I started running Realistic population, Travel Rebalance, and Rush Hour and my game has slowed to a crawl. Not in a "my machine is totally stressed out and I'm getting 2fps" way, but in a "no one wants to move into my city" way. After I reach around 1,200 cims, my growth just craters. No commercial or industrial demand, and just a sliver of residential on occasion. In this current map I'm playing, I have a ton of residential and commercial zoned and nothing growing in it, and it's been that way for a while. Is this normal, or have I screwed something up?

There's a mod that lets you set your demand bars, it's really handy since the demand bars in-game don't actually result in a balanced city or anything good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I think that Rush Hour impacts demand in some ways and comes with settings to enable or disable that feature. I'd try messing with that, as I have all three of those mods working in tandem just fine.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Realistic Pop does some stuff to demand that conflicts with Rush Hour, I think I turned off all the experimental Rush Hour RICO demand tweaks.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Thanks, I'll double check all my settings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I looked the other day and didn't find anything. I want to start on an island map and go full dubai creating other islands for rich people but the whole soil for terraforming thing kinda ruins that.

Dredge it off the seabed.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

spooky scary green night skies are rad af

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Has anyone encountered the game crashing when saving after the 1.4 patch? Quick saving crashes the game, trying to save by taking the scenic route through the main menu also crashes but takes the whole system with it. Was just wondering if anyone had encountered this before I start ripping out mods, etc.

Ofaloaf posted:

Beware the poop werewolves on the twilight of the full moon! (In the distance you hear an eerie chorus of bellowing "THIPPPPTH* sounds)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ofaloaf posted:

That poo poo looks like it's from VtMB or something. I dig it.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Adequate posted:

That poo poo looks like it's from VtMB or something. I dig it.

Ah, yes, Velcome to Might Bale. :haw:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really like this fellow's workshop. He's going through and updating a bunch of old pre-after-dark nice but common-looking growable buildings so they have night lights, good LODs and come down to about 2 megs in footprint. Give those office blocks and commercial high-rises a bit more variety without things that look out of place.

I always loved a good generic soul-eating office building.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 29, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MikeJF posted:

I really like this fellow's workshop. He's going through and updating a bunch of old pre-after-dark nice but common-looking growable buildings so they have night lights, good LODs and come down to about 2 megs in footprint. Give those office blocks and commercial high-rises a bit more variety without things that look out of place.

I always loved a good generic soul-eating office building.

Yeah this guy's stuff is great. Always useful and realistic with a low file size.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fabulousity posted:

Has anyone encountered the game crashing when saving after the 1.4 patch? Quick saving crashes the game, trying to save by taking the scenic route through the main menu also crashes but takes the whole system with it. Was just wondering if anyone had encountered this before I start ripping out mods, etc.

If it's taking the whole system down, it's probably not the game itself, but rather the game triggering something else. CS can eat a lot of memory, so check if your RAM is corrupted. Memtest or something.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

For some reason the game doesn't recognize that I have any mods installed. I have many assets and mods subscribed. All assets properly show up in the Content Manager from the main menu to enable/disable them, but the Mods list only has the 3 default ones.

I did some cleaning up in mods through Steam earlier, and moved the game to a different disk. (Uninstalled from old location, reinstalled to new location.) But those shouldn't affect that, right?

Okay no idea what was happening, but it fixed itself today. So yay.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Does anyone have any tips for encouraging industry to use cargo trains? I have created cargo stations in both my industrial areas and connected them to my downtown area. However, a lot of the cargo is still being delivered via trucks on the highway, which is causing traffic jams.

The only thing I can think at the moment is that one industrial area is far away from downtown, and there's a big distance between the two train stations. But I don't have any way to move them closer.

Sorry I don't have pics: not at my home computer at the moment. I can post some this evening.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

ZoeDomingo posted:

Does anyone have any tips for encouraging industry to use cargo trains? I have created cargo stations in both my industrial areas and connected them to my downtown area. However, a lot of the cargo is still being delivered via trucks on the highway, which is causing traffic jams.

The only thing I can think at the moment is that one industrial area is far away from downtown, and there's a big distance between the two train stations. But I don't have any way to move them closer.

Sorry I don't have pics: not at my home computer at the moment. I can post some this evening.

Zone everything but your industrial sectors as "No Heavy Traffic". That'll stop them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ZoeDomingo posted:

Uh destroy the roads?

^^ that's probably a better idea

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Does the heavy traffic ban prevent deliveries to commercial areas? When I hover over that policy, the little popup seems to indicate that's the case, but if not, then thanks for that suggestion, CroatianAlzheimers!

Also, thanks for your suggestion, Count Roland. While I doubt it would ultimately help, I admire your style. :)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ZoeDomingo posted:

Does the heavy traffic ban prevent deliveries to commercial areas? When I hover over that policy, the little popup seems to indicate that's the case, but if not, then thanks for that suggestion, CroatianAlzheimers!

Also, thanks for your suggestion, Count Roland. While I doubt it would ultimately help, I admire your style. :)

I got back into this game with the new water works, and I started a city with no road links to the outside, only ports.

I'm expanding my industrial zones now, and I also want my cargo to move mostly by train, so I'm going to, as much as possible, prevent my trucks from moving across the city by road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Industry can sometimes be shockingly reluctant to use even a well-placed cargo terminal. All you can really do is use the heavy traffic ban policy and try to make the cargo terminal as convenient as possible to your commercial districts. Other than that, :shrug:.