Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I will say the average European male is a lot more open to sucking than the average American male.

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

This is what we had until recently:

Registration sticker still looks the same, it's just the only sticker now. In this case, I lived in Collin county, and my license plate was CC9L612. I'm not really sure what the rest of the numbers (aside from expiration) are. The inspection sticker colors differed depending on the type of inspection required and the year of expiration, and if it was a 1 or 2 year inspection (only brand new cars get a 2 year). Always in the lower drivers side corner of the windshield.

The numbers were large enough for an approaching LEO to see if anything was expired. The rest could be read up close, and the LEO's car computer could tell them if the stickers were valid once they ran your plates It used to be really common to rent a car for a day or two and swap inspection stickers with it if your own car couldn't pass (I've been nailed by this while renting cars - 3 times now I've received rental cars that had expired inspection stickers that didn't even go with the car).

In Chicago you get that for a city sticker. Which has nothing to do with a vehicle inspection. Then they give you a plate sticker. Then they charge you a vehicle use tax. Just to make sure they destroy your bunghole and wallet all in one.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

God drat it when did Europe start sucking as bad as America?

I'm laughing at the idea of a European classic car owner excitedly unwrapping their freshly imported US spec 5 mph bumper

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

8ender posted:

I'm laughing at the idea of a European classic car owner excitedly unwrapping their freshly imported US spec 5 mph bumper

Period-correct pellet-style catalytic converter

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

8ender posted:

I see plenty of old Mercedes around that have apparently been imported back from the US, complete with sealed beams and 5mph bumpers. Rust free California or dessert cars i guess.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Geirskogul posted:

Do some states not do front plates or front plate stickers? In Idaho both the front and back plate get stickers.

Michigan has only rear plates with yearly stickers. It's the only thing good about this backward loving place. Well, that and our sensible liquor laws.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Humbug posted:

I see plenty of old Mercedes around that have apparently been imported back from the US, complete with sealed beams and 5mph bumpers. Rust free California or dessert cars i guess.

?

edit: apparently every photo of a car must be a dutch angle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

some texas redneck posted:

This is what we had until recently:

Registration sticker still looks the same, it's just the only sticker now. In this case, I lived in Collin county, and my license plate was CC9L612. I'm not really sure what the rest of the numbers (aside from expiration) are. The inspection sticker colors differed depending on the type of inspection required and the year of expiration, and if it was a 1 or 2 year inspection (only brand new cars get a 2 year). Always in the lower drivers side corner of the windshield.

The numbers were large enough for an approaching LEO to see if anything was expired. The rest could be read up close, and the LEO's car computer could tell them if the stickers were valid once they ran your plates It used to be really common to rent a car for a day or two and swap inspection stickers with it if your own car couldn't pass (I've been nailed by this while renting cars - 3 times now I've received rental cars that had expired inspection stickers that didn't even go with the car).

Texas also had the ones that had the month and year punched out like a goddamned time card.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

Do some states not do front plates or front plate stickers? In Idaho both the front and back plate get stickers.

Indiana does not require a front plate. I was pulled over while traveling home from the west coast about 10 years ago and the officer had the ticket already written. He had to go back and radio in to have someone check it so since that was out he then wrote me a bullshit ticket for speeding since I wasted his time or some horseshit gently caress the police yo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Can we talk about our state tax laws too? That always makes for good conversaZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

1995 Corolla

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/27/kabul-drivers-windshield-stickers-decorating-cars-afghanistan

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

SouthsideSaint posted:

In Chicago you get that for a city sticker. Which has nothing to do with a vehicle inspection. Then they give you a plate sticker. Then they charge you a vehicle use tax. Just to make sure they destroy your bunghole and wallet all in one.

If you actually live in the city of Chicago, you're in the wrong place to own a car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

These are actually pretty amazing from a cultural cross-pollination standpoint. Like engrish but with a bit more swag

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Eskaton posted:

If you actually live in the city of Chicago, you're in the wrong place to own a car.

Tell that to all the places outside of it that are considered crook county. And still make you follow the rules.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Crossposting from Schadenfreude thread:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Pell posted:

I didn't know that schadenfreude meant "metal as gently caress."

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

The Pell posted:

Why do I get the feeling that a pulsejet is about to make an unexpected and not-remotely-sensible contribution?

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

SouthsideSaint posted:

Tell that to all the places outside of it that are considered crook county. And still make you follow the rules.

It's kinda hard to complain when the city has decent transit.

I mean Detroit is a good example of car-friendly city, but it didn't really work out in the end.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 27, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Eskaton posted:

It's kinda hard to complain when the city has decent transit.

I mean Detroit is a good example of car-friendly city, but it didn't really work out in the end.

Yeah I live by ohare airport. But am still in cook county which has all the rules of Chicago. And none of the beauty or city amenities.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IPCRESS posted:

Why do I get the feeling that a pulsejet is about to make an unexpected and not-remotely-sensible contribution?

I honestly thought it was this ancient colinfurze video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvgISVHak

but it was some guys clearly 'inspired' by it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLH45spyIvc

though I will confess they got more spectacular results.

and when I say inspired:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enourmo posted:

I honestly thought it was this ancient colinfurze video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gvgISVHak

but it was some guys clearly 'inspired' by it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLH45spyIvc

though I will confess they got more spectacular results.

and when I say inspired:

The video makes it even better. The piston and rod doing its best Saturn V impression, immediately followed by chunks of compression ring shrapnel.

:black101:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Texas also had the ones that had the month and year punched out like a goddamned time card.

Ugh, I'd forgotten about those. That was for registration only if I remember right, but I remember having that on two or three cars.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Raluek posted:

More importantly, why is there a rear plate (stickers) on the front of the car?

It's a UK car? [RHD, and UK plates] I'm guessing the CA plate is there for decoration.

I'm guessing unless I missed something.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Do Europeans not realize all the extra bullshit added to the US versions of their cars is in fact NOT COOL.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

veedubfreak posted:

Do Europeans not realize all the extra bullshit added to the US versions of their cars is in fact NOT COOL.

Some of our people are dumb as gently caress which is why in a market where so many decent cars exist, they buy a PT Cruiser.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Dat USDM fetish, I guess.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

Some of our people are dumb as gently caress which is why in a market where so many decent cars exist, they buy a PT Cruiser.

This also explains why the PTC did so well in the US. Lots of dumb old people.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

veedubfreak posted:

Actually, I know that with Mercs at least, people often do convert over to a European standard eventually. But we don't have as many junkyards and Mercedes Germany NOS prices are nothing to sneeze at. So it might take a while and they do drive the car around in the meantime.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Hands at 10 and 2, balls at 5 and 6.... let's roll

Wait, what? Shouldn't that be "Hands at 10 and 2, balls at 5 and 7" or are your testicles really asymmetric?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All balls are asymmetric you balldummy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chris Knight posted:

Dat USDM fetish, I guess.

The opposite I guess is why people bough w203 mercedes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

88h88 posted:

In 2007, you could go into a dealership with $32,000 (Australian) and buy an excellent, rear-wheel-drive, 6-cylinder family sedan with good styling and solid dynamics. A Ford BF Falcon XT was a great car, and it was even available with a manual transmission!

Or you could by a PT Cruiser, which was worse in every conceivable way :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Memento posted:

In 2007, you could go into a dealership with $32,000 (Australian) and buy an excellent, rear-wheel-drive, 6-cylinder family sedan with good styling and solid dynamics. A Ford BF Falcon XT was a great car, and it was even available with a manual transmission!

Or you could by a PT Cruiser, which was worse in every conceivable way :negative:

Yes but the falcon looks like a futuristic electric space shaver while the PT looks like how cars are supposed to look back in my day let me tell you about this car I had in it must have been oh 1957 and let me tell you....

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Is...that a paint roller pan?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nothing but the finest for your Metro!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is...that a paint roller pan?

gently caress it that's amazing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DrakeriderCa posted:

gently caress it that's amazing

just needs a rattlecan flamejob and I would rock that ugly little fucker daily.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
On the way in this morning, I saw a big body Cadillac with 13" Daytons on it. To make it even worse, one was what looked like a blow out and the guy parked it in the center area between moving traffic and a moving onramp. Brilliant decisions being made all around.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

On the way in this morning, I saw a big body Cadillac with 13" Daytons on it. To make it even worse, one was what looked like a blow out and the guy parked it in the center area between moving traffic and a moving onramp. Brilliant decisions being made all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4yhp9L6Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It was a late model, like mid 2000s Caddy that had no business with 13" spoked wheels on it. One of them big fat bloated looking Caddies.