Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Thor had too many Dutch angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Thor had too many Dutch angles.

Needed as many as battlefield earth

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A broad IIMM for me is when a character (especially if they are not rushed or pressured) walks into water/some other fluid without taking their shoes and socks off first. I hate hate hate the feeling of having wet shoes and socks, so whenever I see it depicted in a movie, a part of me gets annoyed because dude there's nothing chasing you and there's nothing demanding you rush, take your drat shoes and socks off before you wade in, have you never had to dry shoes out, ever.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

A broad IIMM for me is when a character (especially if they are not rushed or pressured) walks into water/some other fluid without taking their shoes and socks off first. I hate hate hate the feeling of having wet shoes and socks, so whenever I see it depicted in a movie, a part of me gets annoyed because dude there's nothing chasing you and there's nothing demanding you rush, take your drat shoes and socks off before you wade in, have you never had to dry shoes out, ever.

If you walk into a river, stream, or lake barefoot, you are asking to get your feet cut up by rocks or debris. I'd rather take wet shoes over a piece of sharp rock embedded into my sole.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MrJacobs posted:

If you walk into a river, stream, or lake barefoot, you are asking to get your feet cut up by rocks or debris. I'd rather take wet shoes over a piece of sharp rock embedded into my sole.

Depending on where you are you also risk losing toes to snappers.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Pretty sure either Sean Astin or Elijah Wood got a pretty nasty cut from a broken bottle when they were filming their romantic boat scene in Fellowship, and they were wearing heavy rubber Hobbit soles!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It was Sean Astin. They included that incident on the DVD extras so you can see him limp out.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

effervescible posted:

It was Sean Astin. They included that incident on the DVD extras so you can see him limp out.

Yeah, you can see him pause and think Oh no, this aint right.

Such bad luck though, as gross as NZ and its rivers can be, glass isn't something I'd ever heard of as a problem in rivers before that film.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BvS

just tell Wonder Woman to go get the spear

just say "Lex Luthor has my mother and if you're still listening he sent me here to kill you to keep her alive" like way before it gets to fisticuffs and way before walking towards the guy whose whole thing is being prepared (which you should know since he apparently lives just over there).

I still enjoyed the movie far more than I expected to.

The bit here through the Hamlet reference is probably why it didn't seem boring but everyone should watch it in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE&t=547s

it's all about perspective.

the dirt is the final chord and i'm okay with making this comparison

stringless has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Mar 29, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, to be fair about that BvS spoiler...

She was pretty much the ONLY person bringing the fight to Doomsday. Every time Superman tries to fly in and do anything he gets grabbed and thrown around. Bats should have been the one to go get it, if anyone, because he basically was just running away (scuse me, PARKOURING) while trying to figure out a way to smack Doomsday with a grenade. Hell, it'd have been worth it just to have him go "WHY DID YOU DO THAT LOIS? WHY?" when he found out it was at the bottom of some mystery stairwell filled with water.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My Irritating moment with that scene was that water was way too clear to be stillwater in the bottom of an abandoned building on the Gotham pier. Doomsday probably died from all the diseases the spear picked up rather than the spear itself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaunab posted:

My Irritating moment with that scene was that water was way too clear to be stillwater in the bottom of an abandoned building on the Gotham pier. Doomsday probably died from all the diseases the spear picked up rather than the spear itself.

Under those conditions, clear water usually means there's so much toxic poo poo that nothing can be bothered to live there.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Just watching Daredevil and there's a scene where Fisk is eating steak and listening to some classical music and then I saw he was eating with the wrong hands - his knife is the left hand. Is that supposed to be something that only very sophisticated people do or something only he does? My brother uses the wrong hands to eat with and it irrationally drives me bonkers to watch

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Maybe he's left handed? Rules about which utensil in which hand are dumb anyway. :colbert:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm left handed and still use the knife in my right hand. :shrug:

My irrational movie moment on BvS shamelessly stolen from We Hate Movies:
Big scene where Batman drives around killing people and fails to get the kryptonite macguffin, then the next scene has Lex discover Batman stole it from his lair after the botched attempt. It's strange to have a scene where nothing but violence and stupid happens, and then the actual heist happens off-screen.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Without utensil rules we're nothing but animals. I suppose we should just eat off the floor and grunt like pigs eh? loving savage

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

donquixotic posted:

Just watching Daredevil and there's a scene where Fisk is eating steak and listening to some classical music and then I saw he was eating with the wrong hands - his knife is the left hand. Is that supposed to be something that only very sophisticated people do or something only he does? My brother uses the wrong hands to eat with and it irrationally drives me bonkers to watch

What does this even mean?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dr_Amazing posted:

What does this even mean?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lefties are the devil .

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Firstborn posted:

Same here, though I remember as a kid I'd use the knife in my left hand to cut, then switch hands and use the fork in the left to move the food to my mouth. I stopped doing it that way at some point without even realizing it, but I also remember noticing a coworker doing it that way a couple years ago. After a quick internet search just now, apparently that's an actual thing, called the zig-zag or American style. Weird.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Eh! Frank posted:

Same here, though I remember as a kid I'd use the knife in my left hand to cut, then switch hands and use the fork in the left to move the food to my mouth. I stopped doing it that way at some point without even realizing it, but I also remember noticing a coworker doing it that way a couple years ago. After a quick internet search just now, apparently that's an actual thing, called the zig-zag or American style. Weird.

I was an american in an english primary school and my teachers gave me no end of poo poo for changing utensils from whatever the gently caress hand I felt like at any moment.

I don't trust my left hand to do poo poo, not to handle a knife, not to point metal tines at my face and move closer to my face, nothing. My left hand is a unthinking clamp I use when there's nothing more suitable around.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My wife gives me poo poo for using a fork in my right hand and a knife in my left and I cannot bring myself to give a single solitary gently caress which hand anyone uses for anything, least of all me.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Firstborn posted:

My irrational movie moment on BvS shamelessly stolen from We Hate Movies:
Big scene where Batman drives around killing people and fails to get the kryptonite macguffin, then the next scene has Lex discover Batman stole it from his lair after the botched attempt. It's strange to have a scene where nothing but violence and stupid happens, and then the actual heist happens off-screen.

He probably would have gotten the kryptonite if Superman hadn't interrupted him. The scene was just to set up their first face to face and let the audience know Batman knew where to get the kryptonite.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I was an american in an english primary school and my teachers gave me no end of poo poo for changing utensils from whatever the gently caress hand I felt like at any moment.

I don't trust my left hand to do poo poo, not to handle a knife, not to point metal tines at my face and move closer to my face, nothing. My left hand is a unthinking clamp I use when there's nothing more suitable around.

Knife only needs to go back and forth, so it gets the non-dominant hand.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gaunab posted:

He probably would have gotten the kryptonite if Superman hadn't interrupted him. The scene was just to set up their first face to face and let the audience know Batman knew where to get the kryptonite.

How about why blow all this poo poo up if you planted a tracker while totally unnoticed?

Beef Jerky Robot has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Mar 30, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

How about why blow all this poo poo up if you planted a tracker while totally unnoticed?

Plan B?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Batman vs Superman - when Clark complains to Perry "Why aren't we covering the Bat vigilante in Gotham!?!" instead of Perry saying,"No I think covering a football game is more important" he should have said,"Because that "story" is 20-years-old and has been covered multiple times in depth in the many, many years that the Planet was running before you showed up and got a job here as a junior reporter, now do your loving job :colbert:"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

donquixotic posted:

There are many different ways to eat. My wife uses her knife in her left hand like an animal and holds it like she's going to stab someone. My grandmother used to do the "American" method of setting down the knife and then changing the fork to the right hand. I usually keep the knife in my right hand and shovel food onto my fork after cutting. Some people cut their entire piece of meat up before eating with their right hand. My grandfather would cut everything up and stir up all of his food into a disgusting puddle of garbage to be eaten in a large bowl.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I was flipping through the channels and came across the Equalizer, which is phenomenal, then came across Under Siege, which is prime Seagal. Anyway, they both reminded me of an IIMM: people that make bombs by putting materials in a microwave and turning it on, and the bomb explodes right as the microwave dings. It made me roll my eyes more than Steven Seagal ending up with Erika Eleniak at the end of the movie.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'm watching Arrow, which is an entertaining distraction, if a bit daft sometimes.

Season one spoiler, I guess: Felicity, who is a skinny nerdy girl. No powers. Just picks up his bow and nonchalantly pulls it back with no effort whatsoever. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen. I remember picking up a proper bow when I was a kid and I couldn't budge the string in the slightest.

Christ, you're always showing us oliver working out. Pretty sure he wouldn't have a kids bow

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

I'm watching Arrow, which is an entertaining distraction, if a bit daft sometimes.

Season one spoiler, I guess: Felicity, who is a skinny nerdy girl. No powers. Just picks up his bow and nonchalantly pulls it back with no effort whatsoever. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen. I remember picking up a proper bow when I was a kid and I couldn't budge the string in the slightest.

Christ, you're always showing us oliver working out. Pretty sure he wouldn't have a kids bow

Oliver uses a compound bow. Depending on how they're made, you can get 100lbs of draw weight with as little as a 20lb pull.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

Oliver uses a compound bow. Depending on how they're made, you can get 100lbs of draw weight with as little as a 20lb pull.

At least in the season I'm watching at the moment he's not using a compound bow. And she literally put no effort in whatsoever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

At least in the season I'm watching at the moment he's not using a compound bow. And she literally put no effort in whatsoever.

You're right, he used a recurve bow in S1 at least.

Anyway, why Felicity didn't need to put effort into it: that would be because you can really hurt yourself drawing a bow if you lose your grip on the string, so a prop bow not meant for shooting will not be strung with any kind of real weight. A recurve might only have a 30-40lb draw weight, so it's not unbelievable that the character could draw it; it's just the physics of safety that are making it look odd.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

10 Beers posted:

I was flipping through the channels and came across the Equalizer, which is phenomenal, then came across Under Siege, which is prime Seagal. Anyway, they both reminded me of an IIMM: people that make bombs by putting materials in a microwave and turning it on, and the bomb explodes right as the microwave dings. It made me roll my eyes more than Steven Seagal ending up with Erika Eleniak at the end of the movie.

Didn't Segal's improvised bomb in Under Siege have a smart rear end kind of message on the beeper screen? YOU'RE hosed or something along those lines? I kinda doubt that having a smarmy message for the bad guy to catch a glimpse of before getting blown up would really be something to waste time on in a life or death situation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her shoulders are super wide. She's got all kinds of power there.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Didn't Segal's improvised bomb in Under Siege have a smart rear end kind of message on the beeper screen? YOU'RE hosed or something along those lines? I kinda doubt that having a smarmy message for the bad guy to catch a glimpse of before getting blown up would really be something to waste time on in a life or death situation.

I don't think you understand Casey Ryback's priorities at all. Get the girl and make the terrorists look like chumps. Anything else is incidental.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I don't think so, but I was prepping stuff for dinner and wasn't paying constant attention. Reminded me of how much I liked Tommy Lee Jones's maniacal bad guy, though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also, it's only life and death for everyone else. For Casey, it's just what he does.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My BvS IIMMs are that it should have been split up into two movies. There was no reason to include Doomsday other than to have someone for Superman to punch into space, and it completely wasted his potential. Really what should have happened is that Wonder Woman should have stopped the fight between Bats and Supes to refocus them on the villain they all had a beef with, Lex Luthor. Then they save Superman's mom, capture Luthor, and the movie can end with Lex still being smug because he knows about the ticking time bomb that is the stupid loving cave troll from LotR waiting in the ship.

Then you can have the next movie about the Justice League forming to stop Doomsday. That way he can be properly established as a threat that we should care about. Or something, I don't know. The point is is that Doomsday was completely unneeded, and felt tacked on because some producer said "Who does Superman punch? He's gotta punch someone super hard, that's what the fans want! Avengers had a big bad guy to hit, we need one too."

The whole movie needed to be cut down by like a solid hour, and the ending especially drug on and on and loving on.

Finally, what the gently caress was up with Batman just straight up murdering 50 dudes? His entire deal is that he doesn't kill people, but apparently it doesn't count if you do it using a vehicle or via explosions you caused indirectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Jedit posted:

You might be able to hold it with a 20lb pull but to actually get the string back you have to put in the full 100lbs still. Unless youve trained, you aint even pulling back a 50lb as I discovered a number of years after giving up archery and then pulling my old bow out of storage.