Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

My helpdesk guy was poking around in firewall options, and sent me a list of poo poo he wanted to block. This was after like 6 people were streaming March Madness basketball games last week.

"People are wasting bandwidth", "they shouldn't be doing this at work", etc

I told him to leave it wide open. it's not worth the hassle or meetings I'm going to be dragged into when people start getting blocked. I let him turn ONE category on, I can't rembemer what it was but I think it was "known attack sites" or something like that. Within two hours someone put a ticket in, one of our own websites was blocked. Hosted on a third party service, but still.

I just told him "See? Not worth it. Just open it back up. If people are loving around, someone will tell on them and we'll have their traffic logs and then HR can do what they wish."

I'll argue against blocking sites based on content all day, but if you aren't at least blocking sites known to serve up malware you are missing a critical point of protecting your network. "Known attack sites" sounds like just such a thing, and I would argue that if your own website is being blocked it is either hacked and serving up malware or had been in the recent past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'll argue against blocking sites based on content all day, but if you aren't at least blocking sites known to serve up malware you are missing a critical point of protecting your network. "Known attack sites" sounds like just such a thing, and I would argue that if your own website is being blocked it is either hacked and serving up malware or had been in the recent past.

I agree, as annoying as false positives can be.

But the site it's blocking is Instapage, we just direct a few domains there for sales/info pages instead of building a website for it.

Edit: and I went back to what I emailed him and I told him to leave that on

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I have a question for you IT people. My brother's employer got hit by a MAC Flooding and it is getting worse. I got a good idea of what it is but I want to know if it can be fixed before data can be stolen and if it is possible to trace the person who did it. Everything I found so far is about how to prevent it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

waggles posted:

I have a question for you IT people. My brother's employer got hit by a MAC Flooding and it is getting worse. I got a good idea of what it is but I want to know if it can be fixed before data can be stolen and if it is possible to trace the person who did it. Everything I found so far is about how to prevent it.

If you have an idea what switch is being flooded you can run something like this on all access ports to shutdown the port that is flooding. Then hopefully you could consult a network diagram to see who sits where that particular port has a dropdown

int range f0/1 - f0/24

#sw port-security maximum 2
#switchport port-security violation shutdown

After that it might be a good idea to run clear mac-address-table to clear out all the garbage.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I stopped sending cover letters and post interview thank you notes. I've never seen a cover letter that was good and contained anything worthwhile not covered in the resume. I just sent thank you emails since we're in the tech industry and I figure those are more likely to be seen than bullshit snail mail kissass letters.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib

Methanar posted:

If you have an idea what switch is being flooded you can run something like this on all access ports to shutdown the port that is flooding. Then hopefully you could consult a network diagram to see who sits where that particular port has a dropdown

int range f0/1 - f0/24

#sw port-security maximum 2
#switchport port-security violation shutdown

After that it might be a good idea to run clear mac-address-table to clear out all the garbage.

I don't quite remember what my brother said but I think they did shut down a port but the attack moved to another one and then did a full broadcast as well. I will relay this message to him though if the attack is still going on.

Thank you for the response.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

waggles posted:

I don't quite remember what my brother said but I think they did shut down a port but the attack moved to another one and then did a full broadcast as well. I will relay this message to him though if the attack is still going on.

What kind of environment is this? I'm guessing a school / university since businesses would just use wireless.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

waggles posted:

If you have a something like SCCM just use that instead but if you don't you can maybe run something like this to see who has winpcap installed on their computer.

(get-adcomputer -filter * -properties operatingsystem | where-object {$_.operatingsystem -like "*7*"}).name | out-file workstations.txt

Invoke-Command -computername (get-content workstations.txt) -command { Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName | Where-Object { $_.displayname -like "*winpcap*" } }

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What kind of environment is this? I'm guessing a school / university since businesses would just use wireless.

Multi-million dollar company, local facility. Sorry for being vague but I don't want my brother getting fired.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sefal posted:

I've been reading this thread for a few years now. Every now and then I saw a book about time management being posted here.
I'm thinking about buying it now.
Is this the book that this thread has been recommending?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/376236.Time_Management_for_System_Administrators

Awesome book, but here's the cliff notes:
-Get a physical planner
-Write down absolutely everything
-Start your morning but organizing your priorities into A, B, and C categories and make a rough schedule for the day before you start helping people with emails/tickets

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bob Morales posted:

That works if it's like that from the beginning. If you just up and do that out of nowhere, heads will roll.

We implemented it last year.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Or you can work with a good recruiter who will write up his own version of a cover letter and send it to a hiring manager that he knows will read it. Just sayin...

Please consider Sean Rockstar Ninja Guru for Front-end Developer openings. Sean is an experienced designer/developer with over 10 years of experience creating memorable and efficient user interfaces. Here are a few of his career highlights:

Career Highlights:
• Highly experienced in Javascript, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, Angular
• Passionate about UI/UX design
• Cross-platform app development and responsive web design
• In last 5 years at [company], has been involved in design and development from concept through delivery
• Experienced in Flash animation as well
• Agile experience
• Portfolio site: https://www.somethingawful.com
• Reference from coworker Betty BSA: “Sean is the most talented developer I’ve ever worked with.”

Candidate Profile:
• Interview Availability: 24-48 hours
• Start Availability: 2 weeks
• Citizenship: US Citizen
• Salary Expectation: $90K+

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Career Q: I'm currently in a help desk environment right now, first year. I recently got in touch with a connection for a job in New Zealand, junior networking. My goal is to become a network engineer. They will pay for my CCNA and other education...

My question is, if i take a contract in a foreign country and do work there for a few years/months will it affect me in landing a job in the States later (I'm a US citizen)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dark Helmut posted:

Or you can work with a good recruiter who will write up his own version of a cover letter and send it to a hiring manager that he knows will read it. Just sayin...

What's the best way to get in touch with a reliable, honest recruiter? Just call up a recruiting company and say "I'd like to work with you guys!" or respond to a job ad posted by a recruiter, or just know a recruiter and have them refer you?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

waggles posted:

Talk to larches' CE. It's very similar to an etherblast.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the best way to get in touch with a reliable, honest recruiter? Just call up a recruiting company and say "I'd like to work with you guys!" or respond to a job ad posted by a recruiter, or just know a recruiter and have them refer you?

Referrals from friends or going directly and asking them for referrals of placements in your desired career. Call them and ask how much bullshit it was to deal with them. Did they listen, did they only try to place you in the correct position, did they butcher your resume, things like that. Remember they're being paid between 10-35% of your annual total compensation to place you and there is basically no barrier to entry. They can work for it, and don't be afraid to fire them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Word of mouth is the best way, as mentioned. There's not an Angie's List or whatever for recruiters, sadly.

If you have skills that are in demand, post a resume on Indeed, Dice, LinkedIn, etc. and update it once every couple of weeks to keep it bumped up to the top. See who emails you, and how. If they have a personalized introduction and seem to take an actual interest in you as a candidate, that's a good sign. If they blast out form letters and they sound like they're 5,000 miles away, have never been in your country, and never met with a candidate, run away. Try not to do business with the giant companies like (especially) Robert Half. They won't give you any good individual attention and, if they specialize in outsourcing, they will actively try to undercut you, now or down the road.

Beyond that, garbage in, garbage out. If you check a recruiting company's listed positions and see that they're the kind of positions you want at the kind of company you want to work for, those companies probably find the recruiters they're working with to be personable and reliable. It's not a perfect indicator for your side of the interview table, but it's better than nothing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dark Helmut posted:

Please consider Sean Rockstar Ninja Guru for Front-end Developer openings. Sean is an experienced designer/developer with over 10 years of experience creating memorable and efficient user interfaces. Here are a few of his career highlights:

Career Highlights:
• Highly experienced in Javascript, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3, Angular
• Passionate about UI/UX design
• Cross-platform app development and responsive web design
• In last 5 years at [company], has been involved in design and development from concept through delivery
• Experienced in Flash animation as well
• Agile experience
• Portfolio site: https://www.somethingawful.com
• Reference from coworker Betty BSA: “Sean is the most talented developer I’ve ever worked with.”

Candidate Profile:
• Interview Availability: 24-48 hours
• Start Availability: 2 weeks
• Citizenship: US Citizen
• Salary Expectation: $90K+

Nothing makes me want to use a recruiter less, than the knowledge that they think they can modify my resume or write their own cover letter for me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
everytime I read this thread I'm reminded I should really update my linkedin

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think I'm starting to convince my boss to let me stay in Buffalo when I'm not traveling instead of being in New Jersey for no reason whatsoever. :woop:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Normally I would be like "why do you want to stay in Buffalo" but i understand.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nothing makes me want to use a recruiter less, than the knowledge that they think they can modify my resume or write their own cover letter for me.

Some recruiters give appropriate feedback (like Dark Helmut who told me about adding a summary header, though even that is a very mixed bag honestly), though I've also had my share of downright scary experiences.

I walked into one interview and the recruiter met me at the elevator to walk me into the office. He hands me a folder with extra copies of my resume "just in case" and when I caught a glance, it was just my resume but with this horrific header including a tacky logo of the recruiting company :gonk: So glad I didn't have to use those.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

air- posted:

I walked into one interview and the recruiter met me at the elevator to walk me into the office. He hands me a folder with extra copies of my resume "just in case" and when I caught a glance, it was just my resume but with this horrific header including a tacky logo of the recruiting company :gonk: So glad I didn't have to use those.

Yeah, I've received CVs that have the recruiter's lovely logo/header inserted at the top, and the formatting of the whole thing was hosed as a result. I would never let a recruiter touch my CV like that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How should I give an unstoppable dinosaur of a 20" CRT a good sendoff? Obviously nobody wants it, and I don't want to take it with me when I move, because it's about 75 pounds.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How should I give an unstoppable dinosaur of a 20" CRT a good sendoff? Obviously nobody wants it, and I don't want to take it with me when I move, because it's about 75 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvUNWGM8Dk

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Career highlights: Never been fired

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJiOZ-lOL0 (you'll have to provide your own russian rap music)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Normally I would be like "why do you want to stay in Buffalo" but i understand.
As someone from Rochester, Buffalo is so much better than basically all of NJ. Hi from down the Thruway, KillHour

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

CLAM DOWN posted:

Funny, because nothing makes me want to work with a candidate less than them arrogantly assuming they know everything. This writeup, and putting his best foot forward in general, was written by me AND the candidate in tandem because at it's core the job search is a partnership. And before every other position I submit him for, we will review the requirements together and modify the submittal for the new role. And if the recruiter is putting his lovely logo on top and not fixing the formatting, he's a lovely recruiter. That resume not only reflects the candidate, but me and my company as well.

In regards to Schnoopy's question, word of mouth is the best way of course. Beyond that, just meet with a few. If they aren't open to meeting in person, I wouldn't want to work with them. Even in this day and age, shaking someone's hand and looking them in the eye still ups the ante in terms of accountability and trust. Ask them what they like about their jobs and their company. Interview them as much as they are interviewing you. You should know who you are in bed with, because it's no secret that there are plenty of bad and dishonest recruiters and agencies out there.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

air- posted:

Some recruiters give appropriate feedback (like Dark Helmut who told me about adding a summary header, though even that is a very mixed bag honestly), though I've also had my share of downright scary experiences.

Just to clarify, that tacky logo is there because we typically pull your contact info so communication routes through us. It's simply an industry best practice that keeps us in the loop and serves as a reminder to the client where the resume came from. We are representing you like an agent, in particular for contract and contract to hire roles. The more the communication goes through us, the more we can do our job and gather feedback and position you for success. If your recruiter is letting your resume get out the door looking like poo poo, they are doing it wrong.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dark Helmut posted:

Just to clarify, that tacky logo is there because we typically pull your contact info so communication routes through us. It's simply an industry best practice that keeps us in the loop and serves as a reminder to the client where the resume came from. We are representing you like an agent, in particular for contract and contract to hire roles. The more the communication goes through us, the more we can do our job and gather feedback and position you for success. If your recruiter is letting your resume get out the door looking like poo poo, they are doing it wrong.

How do you feel about your clients going through you for recruitment, while also going around you to other positions they find listed online?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Let it live in a MAME cabinet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dark Helmut posted:

Funny, because nothing makes me want to work with a candidate less than them arrogantly assuming they know everything. This writeup, and putting his best foot forward in general, was written by me AND the candidate in tandem because at it's core the job search is a partnership. And before every other position I submit him for, we will review the requirements together and modify the submittal for the new role. And if the recruiter is putting his lovely logo on top and not fixing the formatting, he's a lovely recruiter. That resume not only reflects the candidate, but me and my company as well.

I don't think you're understanding the problem here. Working with a recruiter to perfect a CV = good. A recruiter independently modifying a CV without my permission or awareness = bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

As someone from Rochester, Buffalo is so much better than basically all of NJ. Hi from down the Thruway, KillHour

Not empty quoting.

Also, when are all the WNY computer goons getting together for a beer? There's a lot of us.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How do you feel about your clients going through you for recruitment, while also going around you to other positions they find listed online?

I assume you mean candidates/consultants, right? For me, my clients are the companies where I'm placing people.

It's just part of the job. I assume you're working with other agencies and in cases where you're out of work and need to get back ASAP, I'll even recommend it. But te way my company does things, we focus on the local market which is reasonably sized. We have a pretty solid footprint and have been in the area about 12 years so some of the relationships run pretty deep. As I explain it to my candidates, my job is to give you a competitive advantage over other candidates and to get you on the desk of the hiring manager. You are always welcome to submit your resume/info yourself if you really want, but you run the risk of being lost in a stack of resumes that's probably 100 or more deep. The reason companies use my agency is so they can do LESS work, less sorting through resumes.

Will going through an agency ALWAYS make you win? Of course not. But at least the way we work, you stand a good chance to get interviewed if I clear and submit you to a company I have a relationship with.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think you're understanding the problem here. Working with a recruiter to perfect a CV = good. A recruiter independently modifying a CV without my permission or awareness = bad.

We are certainly on the same page there.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Beat me to it. I have no problems with being told my contact details will be edited from my resume, and I get why that's important for the recruiter as an agent. In his defense, Helmut and good recruiters communicate that practice ahead of time, but that specific incident where my resume looked like children's coloring book bothered me.

Plus, good ones will tell you to add things like "examples of when you used xyz technology" or similar phrases where they can see room for tailoring a resume better for a specific positing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Let it live in a MAME cabinet

I would, but I have no room for a cabinet, and I probably wouldn't get to it in time.

Dark Helmut posted:

I assume you mean candidates/consultants, right? For me, my clients are the companies where I'm placing people.

It's just part of the job. I assume you're working with other agencies and in cases where you're out of work and need to get back ASAP, I'll even recommend it. But te way my company does things, we focus on the local market which is reasonably sized. We have a pretty solid footprint and have been in the area about 12 years so some of the relationships run pretty deep. As I explain it to my candidates, my job is to give you a competitive advantage over other candidates and to get you on the desk of the hiring manager. You are always welcome to submit your resume/info yourself if you really want, but you run the risk of being lost in a stack of resumes that's probably 100 or more deep. The reason companies use my agency is so they can do LESS work, less sorting through resumes.

Will going through an agency ALWAYS make you win? Of course not. But at least the way we work, you stand a good chance to get interviewed if I clear and submit you to a company I have a relationship with.

Do you have any recommendations for recruiters in northern Colorado? Or is that too far away from where your company works? I've been job hunting since last year, unemployed since January, and it's not going well.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I would, but I have no room for a cabinet, and I probably wouldn't get to it in time.

Do you have any recommendations for recruiters in northern Colorado? Or is that too far away from where your company works? I've been job hunting since last year, unemployed since January, and it's not going well.

I'm afraid I don't. My company has offices nationwide, but we don't have any in CO yet. Because we are very relationship-focused, we tend to work exclusively in our own towns with clients we can interact with in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

Not empty quoting.

Also, when are all the WNY computer goons getting together for a beer? There's a lot of us.

Probably no time soon. The Rust Belt economy forces us to work for slave labor wages. Beer is a luxury of the elite.
(I vote everyone comes to Jamestown and we sperg up the Southern Tier brewery)