Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think we can all agree now that Belgians are a security concern in the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

YF-23 posted:

They are the worst

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, there are a few countries where you can deduce interest rate payments for your first home from your taxes, e.g. Sweden, the US, the Netherlands.

In Sweden it's not just the first home though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Well to be fair it wasn't quite so terrible when it was implemented. However, it turns out some things have changed since 1893.

Cheap credit ruins everything.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

YF-23 posted:

I was always suspicious of those waffling belgians

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I've eaten 10 iodine tablets and set up shop in the parking garage. I'm ready.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

For this to be true the people (who want to) live in social housing would have to have the means to live in regular housing, with roughly the same size flats, as long as they have no access to social housing, which is probably not the case, as that would mean they can afford to live in regular housing and there would be no need for them to be allowed to get subsidized social housing. Therefore, if you increase the available social housing, the effect on the regular demand is not especially large, while the effect on the supply side is substantial, as you reduce the potentially available building space for regular housing.

This is not true, there isn't a point where you either are too rich for social housing or too poor for a regular one. It is more like a spectrum that catches people from both sides. My own lower middle class family managed to move from a regular house and still fill in the required criteria to own, over the course of some years, 2 apartments in a social housing project, which consequentially allowed them to down the road sell those for a profit. Even people who are renting a social housing apartment might'be been able to live in a regular one but choose to do so because they want to save money or spend it some other way that allows them upward social mobility like superior education.

ComradeKane
Oct 3, 2010
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I was wondering: Is Spain doing something differently vis-a-vis North African migrant flow?
Greece and Italy get a lot of flak, but I don't hear much of anything on how Spain is handling the flow. Or is Spain not common entry point for whatever reason?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ComradeKane posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I was wondering: Is Spain doing something differently vis-a-vis North African migrant flow?
Greece and Italy get a lot of flak, but I don't hear much of anything on how Spain is handling the flow. Or is Spain not common entry point for whatever reason?

Spain has working agreements with the North African countries they are near to, to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. Additionally they have high walls that are adequately protected in their North African enclaves.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Spain has working agreements with the North African countries they are near to, to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. Additionally they have high walls that are adequately protected in their North African enclaves.

Those walls are actually fences that get scaled constantly, even after the unending upgrades of barbed wire at the top of the fences and the gap between them being filled with all kind of wired poo poo.

The way Spain controlled it's immigration problems from North Africa was have a big cry at the EU until this one gave it a massive blank cheque so Spain could buy all kinds of cool toys to guard and patrol the sea route and the Canaries. Of course this was back in 2007-8, pretty much the high point of the Spanish route migration, and when there was money to throw around still. It's hard not to get caught trying to cross the sea passage, and the other route, the Canaries is often too risky and you can get lost easily.

Also Spain's deal is with Morocco, where Moroccan nationals caught trying to cross the border are deported immediately, Spain has no such agreements with the most of Western Africa which where most of the people are coming from, not Morocco. Those who get caught are sent to refugee/immigration centres in Ceuta and Melila where they rot waiting for visas and work permits, in prison like conditions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Electronico6 posted:

Those walls are actually fences that get scaled constantly, even after the unending upgrades of barbed wire at the top of the fences and the gap between them being filled with all kind of wired poo poo.

The way Spain controlled it's immigration problems from North Africa was have a big cry at the EU until this one gave it a massive blank cheque so Spain could buy all kinds of cool toys to guard and patrol the sea route and the Canaries. Of course this was back in 2007-8, pretty much the high point of the Spanish route migration, and when there was money to throw around still. It's hard not to get caught trying to cross the sea passage, and the other route, the Canaries is often too risky and you can get lost easily.

Also Spain's deal is with Morocco, where Moroccan nationals caught trying to cross the border are deported immediately, Spain has no such agreements with the most of Western Africa which where most of the people are coming from, not Morocco. Those who get caught are sent to refugee/immigration centres in Ceuta and Melila where they rot waiting for visas and work permits, in prison like conditions.

I get the feeling these migrants are more likely to be economic migrants, and not people fleeing from a horrible warzone. The world has a duty to accept refugees. Economic migrants not so much, especially in a country like Spain which already faces significant unemployment problems.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Illegal immigration in Spain looks like this:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They should call Donald Trump so he can explain to them how to make a better, yoooger wall and make Morocco pay for it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

Illegal immigration in Spain looks like this:

Are they there to collect lost balls?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Are they there to collect lost balls?

The way they're straddling barbed wire, I'd think they're at risk of losing balls themselves.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
The agreement with Morocco means those inmigrants that are caught by morocco are taken to the desert and left to die.

It's what happened in 2005 and it's what keeps happening. But the EU doesn't feel it has to keep the whole facade of caring for human rights so we don't hear about it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

We have a Nobel price waiting for you if you can successfully "softly" deflate a housing bubble. It has literally never been done.

Not true. You successfully deflate a housing bubble "softly" by blockbusting cities and constructing suburbs.

Which, with all the arab assylum seekers now in Europe, is much easier to do than you'd think.

Yes, that's right: Racism is the only successful method of "softly" deflating a housing bubble.

ComradeKane
Oct 3, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

So they actively enforce their borders, have agreements upstream, and restrict the distribution of visas?
Can Italy and Greece do the same, then? (I've heard that the EU is working on solving the Libyan govt disfunction in order to reach some sort of migrant deal with them.)
Is it too cost-prohibitive? How much funding did Spain receive from the EU? More than the 6 billion euros Turkey is now getting to help?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ComradeKane posted:

So they actively enforce their borders, have agreements upstream, and restrict the distribution of visas?
Can Italy and Greece do the same, then? (I've heard that the EU is working on solving the Libyan govt disfunction in order to reach some sort of migrant deal with them.)
Is it too cost-prohibitive? How much funding did Spain receive from the EU? More than the 6 billion euros Turkey is now getting to help?

It's hard to say how much money has Spain(and Morocco) got, but up until 2013 Spain was the largest recipient of the External Border Fund that started in 2007. But that was a 2 billion Euro fund spread out to a bunch of countries, of which Spain got the biggest cut, so nowhere close to what Turkey is getting. Then again Spain wasn't blackmailing the EU over these issues.

The Spanish migration route at it's peak wasn't close to the numbers of people Greece and Italy have been seeing since Libya and Syria/Iraq went to poo poo. Spain also has a much smaller border to patrol compared to the insane coastline and islands Greece has, and the amount of sea Italy has to patrol, and of course Morocco isn't a fail state and it gets rewards for cooperation with Spanish/EU officials.

It also helps Spain that it's pretty far away from all the mess in Middle East, and the journey from several western African countries is quite the long one and very expensive, and in the end if your choices are: 1) Getting caught by Moroccan police/army and get dragged back into the desert 2)Manage to cross into Ceuta/Melila and wait forever to be processed.

Basically Spain never did nor does deal with half the poo poo Italy/Greece have had to.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/714037896827768832

interesting.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Let's try to treat this with the level of intelligence and careful consideration common in current political discourse:

a) #rapefugeesnotwelcome #multiculturalist_menace #killallbrowns

b) #neoliberal_lies #candonowrong #imperalist_oppression

Pick one, then fight to the death :black101:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Can i fight until everyone elses Death?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

AFP posted:

The Belgian federal prosecutor's office said in a statement that "the indications that led to the arrest of Faycal C. were not substantiated by the ongoing inquiry. As a result, the subject has been released by the examining magistrate."

A source close to the inquiry told AFP: "Investigators have established that he was not the 'man in the hat'."

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/714516584262402048

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2e2yHjc_mc <... the offending video.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Extra 3 is already passably good. If they manage to offend Erdogan enough that he publicly gives up on EU membership in a fit of rage they will forever be the comedy show of my heart.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - wrong thread

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 29, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

blowfish posted:

Extra 3 is already passably good. If they manage to offend Erdogan enough that he publicly gives up on EU membership in a fit of rage they will forever be the comedy show of my heart.

http://www.der-postillon.com/2016/03/erdogan-beleidigte-leberwurst.html

:allears:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Apparently Turkey asked the German ambassador to pull the song from Youtube. Maybe someone should tell them about the Streisand effect.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Apparently Turkey asked the German ambassador to pull the song from Youtube. Maybe someone should tell them about the Streisand effect.

Also, gently caress them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's probably not even the worst German-language Erdogan parody song you can find from Youtube

This is what gets me about old-rear end poo poo dictators being pissed that something about them is being done on Western media sphere...don't they get that our own politicians get it about thousand times worse? Like if there was something they could actually do about this they would have already done it? Is he expecting that Merkel will get Stasi right on that poo poo?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The way he's been going, I wouldn't be surprised if Erdogan came out as a flat earther tomorrow.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

YF-23 posted:

The way he's been going, I wouldn't be surprised if Erdogan came out as a flat earther tomorrow.

He would just use that as an excuse to bomb Kurds somehow

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarkCrawler posted:

It's probably not even the worst German-language Erdogan parody song you can find from Youtube

This is what gets me about old-rear end poo poo dictators being pissed that something about them is being done on Western media sphere...don't they get that our own politicians get it about thousand times worse? Like if there was something they could actually do about this they would have already done it? Is he expecting that Merkel will get Stasi right on that poo poo?

The reason they don't get that is that they literally can go stasi on that poo poo in their country.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/713696451625422852

So, uhm, can we now all agree that refugees entering the EU without controls are a security concern?

Shut the gently caress up, we get it. You're afraid of brown people and all refugees are evil you pretentious rear end in a top hat.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

The reason they don't get that is that they literally can go stasi on that poo poo in their country.

Well, extra3 is probably very happy that they were able to increase the views by a factor of 10 thanks to Sultan Erdogan, especially since the song itself is pretty mediocre compared to last years highlights like

V for Varoufakis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afl9WFGJE0M

or

The rap battle between Dijsselbloem and Varoufakis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpSd9DVD9E

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 29, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

He would just use that as an excuse to bomb Kurds somehow

"When you think about it, 'Kurd' sounds a bit like 'Curve' - we must eliminate this blasphemy against the teachings of Allah."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The impression I get is that Erdogan is a significant step backward for Turkey compared to previous leaders. Correct/incorrect?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

The impression I get is that Erdogan is a significant step backward for Turkey compared to previous leaders. Correct/incorrect?

He started out with better democratic legitimisation (but Turkey is full of rural regressives), but then decided he likes being corrupt sultan more.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

He curbed the influence the military had over civilian affairs which was a good thing, but he's been off the deep end for the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

He curbed the influence the military had over civilian affairs which was a good thing, but he's been off the deep end for the past few years.

It was not a good thing, given that the military was the stalwart protector of Atatürk's legacy, especially of secularism. Once the military and administration was purged, Erdogan revealed his true face.