Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ErIog posted:

Depending on which language you're using it's either standard practice or a complete nightmare.

i'm posting in this thread, which do you think it is?

(it's java, so the answer is both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

the stdlib is terrible but the package manager is very good. i'd rather have a good package manager than a good stdlib

if user packages are meant to supplant a stdlib then you should have a strong set of guidelines for inclusion into the package library
does rust do that?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just saw a black guy in portland maine with a sun microsystems java jacket. is that shaggars friend?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Awia posted:

if user packages are meant to supplant a stdlib then you should have a strong set of guidelines for inclusion into the package library
does rust do that?

Nope, but there are (unofficial) curated lists of recommended packages for various tasks. In practice it works out, and nowadays I can often find a package to do what I want (with the notable exceptions of plotting and some numerical stuff).

Lack of mature packages is probably the biggest downside to Rust at the moment, but that's definitely changing and in a year or two it will be a thoroughly awesome language.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

i just saw a black guy in portland maine with a sun microsystems java jacket. is that shaggars friend?

why r u in maine. get out. go home. no that's not my friend. I only have the one black friend and he doesn't live in maine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but before u leave go to becky's 4 breakfast and put canceaux sauce on ur eggs then buy some canceaux sauce 2 take w/ u

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the talent deficit posted:

the stdlib is terrible but the package manager is very good. i'd rather have a good package manager than a good stdlib

it's 2016, why do i have to choose?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

Lack of mature packages is probably the biggest downside to Rust at the moment, but that's definitely changing and in a year or two it will be a thoroughly awesome language.

people were saying this a year or two ago

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how come there isnt some stdlib-ffi that implements all the usual junk so that any newlang just needs to write a set of wrappera around standard tools???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

why r u in maine. get out. go home. no that's not my friend. I only have the one black friend and he doesn't live in maine

im visiting my parents for a few days, don't worry im gone soon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
alternatively just add an http server/client and json parser to POSIX

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's 2016, why do i have to choose?

What all do you want in a standard library? It's almost certainly different from what I want, and both are almost certainly different from what everyone else wants. Maintaining a comprehensive standard library is a huge drain on manpower for a smaller language like Rust, and I'd rather see them focus on improvements to the core language and compiler. Let the community as a whole focus on the packages.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
has anyone said L.L. Enterprise Java Bean?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The language only hit 1.0 a year ago, so no one was saying it two years ago and the people saying it a year ago were very optimistic (to be fair there has been a lot of progress in that year).

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

has anyone said L.L. Enterprise Java Bean?

ll cool jvm

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Justin Timberiler

Justin Timbiler

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Oh lord... a co-worker looped me in on an MVC project he's been working on. The original code was written by Indian outsource and it's loving weird. Stuff I would normally think are ajax, like modal input forms, are actually done by applying a click handler on ALL anchor tags that takes any click, does a bunch of weird url juggling, and then does form.submit() to a method that sets a boolean in the session, then redirects back to the originating page which displays the modal form because it checks if the session flag is set.

Surprising no one, their url juggler is buggy, and has hard coded hacks to deal with being deployed to specific virtual directories. After pulling that poo poo apart all morning I'm loving done. It's like a retarded neanderthal offshoot of a javascript framework.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i think i found a bug in node.js built-in SHA generation

is there a generally accepted set of input/outputs to prove this besides the rfc (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3174), like how you could potentially test an md5 implementation by using 'password'

edit durf: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2202

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

but before u leave go to becky's 4 breakfast and put canceaux sauce on ur eggs then buy some canceaux sauce 2 take w/ u

we went to becky's the last time we were in portland and it was just OK

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Share Bear posted:

i think i found a bug in node.js built-in SHA generation

is there a generally accepted set of input/outputs to prove this besides the rfc (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3174), like how you could potentially test an md5 implementation by using 'password'

edit durf: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2202

If you confirm the bug, I'd like to hear more.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

If you confirm the bug, I'd like to hear more.

it looks like it has been reported, and that their documentation hasn't been updated

still gonna try it out

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Share Bear posted:

it looks like it has been reported, and that their documentation hasn't been updated

still gonna try it out

lol
"oh that's just our default encoding silently ignoring half of the data you send in, nbd"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I want the.net stdlib.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

It's like a retarded neanderthal offshoot of a javascript framework.

but you repeat yourself

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have to do a BBL at work on VS2015/C#6, pretty sure I got all the main points in there, can anyone think of anything to add that isn't in the release notes/marketing fluff?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bbl?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can go back to pl threads in coc and read that exact post from 4 or 5 years ago too.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm thinking about trying clojure in a bit. is it good?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its a lisp

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm guessing brown bag lunch. You know, that thing companies do to make people spend their little bit of daily free time doing stuff that they should be able to do during work hours but lol you want training time when there's projects due? lolololol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh lmao we do like one of those a quarter completely at random in some half-hearted attempt to cargo-cult more successful companies and i never ever go

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I went from junior to regular software engineer and all I got was a 3% annual raise its me im the terrible programmer

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Beautiful Lady

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I went from junior to regular software engineer and all I got was a 3% annual raise its me im the terrible programmer

That's why I change jobs every 3 years, and I'm currently averaging about 20% raise per year.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

just signed to a junior position. can't wait for seniors to rip apart my pull requests

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

That's why I change jobs every 3 years, and I'm currently averaging about 20% raise per year.

I've been here for 13 months, never work more than 40 hours a week and Big Things are happening soon so idk I guess I'll stay here while I pay off my student loans

my base salary sucks but I get $10,000 in bonuses a year??? tax benefits???

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Big Things are always "happening soon" it is always a lie

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Always be job hunting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

Big Things are always "happening soon" it is always a lie

not in this case :ssh:

Progressive JPEG posted:

Always be job hunting

also this yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

not in this case :ssh:

i have thought that on most occasions and been wrong on every single one of them

• Locked thread