Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

Albrik seems to be way above average at landing very solid hits. It seems like he rarely wastes a swing compared to other gladiators.

unless there is armor.

gently caress armor.

should have gone with a spear instead motherfuck

e: also here's a post from 2009 about combat mechanics in DF. Its uhhhh out of date, but some of the stuff is pretty relevant and probably still impacts the combat in a similar manner. this is before the days of material qualities beyond "iron is 1x, steel is 2x, etc" and stuff like contact area/penetration/velocity/thickness however so its definitely got more poo poo going on in terms of figuring out how hosed a dude is when hit by a hunk of metal.

1. trances boosts skills A poo poo TON. effective skill = (skill+1)*5 aka a dwarf with, say, 5 spear can make an attack like the bearded fucker's got 30 ranks in spear. its pretty nuts. doesn't directly boost damage but ahahaha poo poo, gently caress dwarves man.

2. being in pain/winded/nauseous all do the same thing, but they stack multiplicity aka three effects ends up as ((roll)/2)/2)/2 aka roll/8 and not roll/6. so a dude that relies on not being hit as opposed to having armor gets really, really badly hosed when they get hurt or stunned. impacts defense and to hit but maybe doesn't impact damage directly.

also i think being wrestled makes your dodge rolls = 0 but idk about that. you can't dodge away but even a "failed" dodge, in the current version, seems to really cut down on the "squareness" of hits to the point that ablrik didn't get his legs cut off despite having a giant wolf man come after him with a 2 handed sword. if you wind up in a situation where your dodge roll is zero, like when attacked from behind or when ko'd, you tend to get hosed up real bad even if the attack wasn't rated as "very square" in adventure mode testing while the same rating of hit winds up grazing skin a lot against an aware enemy, in the testing ive done. i dont know if shield block / weapon parry impact that so much or if there's some other multiplier involved, but it might explain why, as cathode said, albrik seems to be better at hitting harder despite being a tiny little poo poo. if its true it'd also mean that being in pain or winded, despite it not directly touching force/velocity, would still hurt damage dealing due to opponents defensive rolls being relatively higher and thus better able to avoid the damage. still, its not absolute; a grounded dude in pain can only roll at 25% of their attack value, but an enemy can still botch a skill roll enough to get wrecked.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 13, Fight 4 :siren:

Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow (6-6) is on the left side of the arena.
Here comes Mongo! (Endorph) is a male troll. He is empty handed and wears a copper helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
ShortName (ZeeToo) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm, a bronze mail shirt, a copper breast plate, bronze gauntlets, and bronze high boots.
Face (Godna) is a male troll. He wields a copper two-handed sword and wears a silver cap, an iron breast plate, iron greaves, and silver high boots.
Jakob (frankenfreak) is a male werewolf. He wields a bronze mace and wears a copper helm, leather armor, and an iron mail shirt.

A furry, a farmer, and two cows (3-9) is on the right side of the arena.
Goku (Galick) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron cap and an iron mail shirt.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) is a male human. He wields an iron pike and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) is a female minotaur. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears a copper helm, three copper mail shirts, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Rob Ford (Tirius) is a male minotaur. He wields an iron two-handed sword and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and leather high boots.

Team 13: Heavyweight Horrorshow is a 2.98 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 9753.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 3270.00 dwarfbucks for A furry, a farmer, and two cows.

And round 13 is underway!

The fighters clash and ShortName gets first blood by nicking Dontellim in the calf with his spear. It still counts even though it's barely a scratch!

Before the blood even hits the floor Goku punches ShortName in the head and rings his skull like a bell. ShortName has been concussed like a motherfucker, and he's down.

Mongo is now fighting a 2v1 with a little help from Jakob. Face is down bottom squared off against Rob Ford.

Jakob bites Goku's tongue off and then Mongo gores his foot to shreds. Goku passes out from pain as well. Mongo took a bruised kidney from Dontellim which caused some pain, but now things are even again!

Goku has kept his grip on Mongo even though he passed out. Mongo takes a moment to shake it off, but he doesn't have a moment. Dontellim breaks his hand with a stab, and Mongo drops to the floor.

Hang on, I gotta go place a bet real quick...

Dontellim finally gets through the skull of the downed Mongo.

Down bottom Rob Ford chops Face's arm wide open. Min/Max is hacking at the downed ShortName.

Dontellim lends a helping hand to Min/Max and removes ShortNames head.

Rob Ford didn't need any help with Face it turns out. Jakob had been helping Face, but had to turn his attention to Min/Max.

Rob Ford cut Face's hand open, and he passes out. Dontellim stabs Jakob in the liver at the same time.

Rob Ford takes his head.

C'mon Jakob, I said this wasnt even going to be close. Win this thing for me or I'll look like an idiot.

We all know how that goes. Goku roused himself from dreamland, walked a bit, then passed back out.

Rob Ford gets the kill after Dontellim puts him down.

I bet we're all kicking ourselves for not taking that bet Decoy Badger told us to... Furry, Farmer, and 2 Cows win with a flawless 4-0 victory.

Kills:
Dontellim: 2
Rob Ford: 2

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 28, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's covered two of my other bets

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

oh gently caress

we rich now

strategic betting best betting, random bettors go home

E: 9th place /flex

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I still say the best tactic is to not bet at all.

Lets you enjoy the fights for the fights, not because you'll be rich after them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Bloody hell, that's shaken things up a bit! The Horrorshow don't just miss a chance to cement a place higher in the rankings and challenge for that 8th spot, they just got humiliated by the worst team in Gemclod! That's now 5 matches in a row that Boatmurdered has come off second best to the swamp fortress. How long can this streak go on?

:zpatriot:

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 28, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ablative posted:

I still say the best tactic is to not bet at all.

Lets you enjoy the fights for the fights, not because you'll be rich after them.

That's why I used to bet against myself, but it turned out that just made my team lose. So now I bet ON myself...and it seems to be turning out that that just makes my team lose. Must be a glitch.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

AJ_Impy posted:

Bloody hell, that's shaken things up a bit! The Horrorshow don't just miss a chance to cement a place higher in the rankings and challenge for that 8th spot, they just got humiliated by the worst team in Gemclod! That's now 5 matches in a row that Boatmurdered has come off second best to the swamp fortress. How long can this streak go on?

:zpatriot:

I wanna say we're gonna turn things around but tbh the Dentists wear a lot of clothes and I don't know what I'm gonna be able to do without affording a new dagger...

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

LorrdErnie posted:

I wanna say we're gonna turn things around but tbh the Dentists wear a lot of clothes and I don't know what I'm gonna be able to do without affording a new dagger...

Madmartigan is still livin' the clothes-optional lifestyle, you can stab him if you like

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Goku's favorite anime is One Punch Man or whatever I take it.

(frankenfreak happynewbie is finally over)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Wait, what? :catstare:

Huh.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

gbuchold posted:

Madmartigan is still livin' the clothes-optional lifestyle, you can stab him if you like

I probably will. It's not like pain has been doing me much good I stabbed a dude's kidney out a couple fights back and he was just like "Hmm? This is fine"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LorrdErnie posted:

I probably will. It's not like pain has been doing me much good I stabbed a dude's kidney out a couple fights back and he was just like "Hmm? This is fine"

I think at some point Jimbo Akimbo cut someone's neck clean off and they never really noticed.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I think at some point Jimbo Akimbo cut someone's neck clean off and they never really noticed.

I'm pretty sure that it was just severing the spine in the neck and, as everyone knows, spines don't actually do anything.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
At last, our long, long con is paying off. You all thought we were awful, but now who's laughing?:smug:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

quote:

Goku_FUR punches ShortName_13 in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle through the large bronze helm!
ShortName_13 has been knocked unconscious!
ShortName_13 falls over.

that is just some bad loving luck on team 13's part. losing a dude to one of the most harmless guys on the other team is... not that great of a way to start a fight.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apparently LARPing this thread is a thing now.

http://i.imgur.com/GpsL33Z.gifv

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Source that poo poo please.

I have so many questions.

How do they tell if a guy is 'out'?

Does it turn into a 5v4, then 5v3, and so on after?

Do they stop the match or just yell "this dude is out, go punch someone else" when someone is down?

Do spines matter in this kind of fight?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's the minor indoor fight.

edit - I found some videos by googling TFC. They involved Eastern European men stamping on each others heads and then ganging up on people on the floor. Looked like a street fight by a kebab van at 2am

goatface fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 29, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Full disclosure: I hosed up the fight I was just running.

I accidentally dropped a bunch of water on a fighter by pressing W (trying to look at wounds) and the fighter was covered in water, suffocated and passed out. The water level on the fighter finally dropped and the fighter got back up and continued to fight.

I let the fight play out, writing down the names of who died.

Then I ran the fight again a second time and the got the exact same result with the exact same deaths, so that's the fight I'll be showing you.

The wounded fighters are slightly different, but the fight played out the exact same in regards to who lived and died.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If the results are the same, I say stick with the original fight, gaffe and all!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I didn't take screenshots of the fight after I hosed up. It was the first blood I hosed up, so I effectively knocked one of the better fighters out of the match just as the melee was coming together.

I thought I hosed up so bad that I just didn't bother taking screenshots.

The second fight is what you'll get, and it's coming in like 20 minutes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Eh, technical difficulties. Rowdy fans throwing beverages into the arena. These things happen, no worries.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 13, Fight 7 :siren:

Worker Cooperative (7-5) is on the left side of the arena.
Combat Liberalism (Jack the Lad) is a female gremlin. She wields an iron large dagger and wears no armor.
Unthrottle the Axolotl (Zwingley) is a female kobold. She wields a bronze scourge and wears a copper helm, leather armor, leather leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Jameson the Unruly (Cathode Raymond) is a male human. He wields an iron two-handed sword and wears a copper cap, a copper breast plate, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Albrik the Insignificant (Tiler Kiwi) is a male kobold. He wields an iron battleaxe and wears a bronze cap, leather armor, leather leggings, bronze gauntlets, and leather low boots.

Cool Rad Awesome Pals (5-7) is on the right side of the arena.
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a female soldier ant woman. She is empty handed and wears a steel breast plate and steel gauntlets.
BS-45 "Apeliminator" (alcharagia) is a male strangler. He wields a copper pick and wears an iron cap.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a female kobold. She wields a steel bow and wears no armor.

Worker Cooperative is a 3.04 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 6489.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2134.00 dwarfbucks for Cool Rad Awesome Pals.

Bowbolds bowstring twangs, and Unthrottle gasps in pain as the arrow buries itself in his chest.

Unthrottle is still the first one to the melee and he slashes Punc Hant's leg out from under the antwoman. Combat Liberalism is one step behind his teammate and chops Punc Hants head off in the next instant.

Albrik and Jameson get their feet tangled together in their haste to get to Bowbold and both fall to the floor. Albrik lands awkwardly, and his neck is broken. As we've said before it's just a neck so it's no big deal.

By the time the two of them get to their feet Bowbold has launched another arrow.

Unthrottle steps back and the arrow passes by him harmlessly. Combat and Unthrottle begin chopping up Apeliminator the strangler. Apeliminator is grounded, and then two hands are taken off; both Combat and Unthrottle remove a hand.

Apeliminator isn't finished by a long shot though. His pick flies through the air and nearly chops Unthrottle in two!

Albrik and Jameson continue to fall instead of helping their teammates. They slowly get to their feet again.

Combat Liberalism takes off Apeliminators leg just as Bowbold fires another arrow. Can he save his teammate?

Just a second too late. Combat Liberalism chops Apeliminators head open and a second later the arrow arrives to slam into Combat's hip, sending him unconscious.

Just when I think Albrik and Jameson are home free someone from the stands throws a dwarf leg into the arena, knocking them both to the floor once again.

And then someone in the stands sacrifices a dwarf for some reason. I legitimately have no idea what happened here.

Jameson is the first one to close with Bowbold. He is rewarded with an arrow that shatters his leg. He passes out.

Now it's broken-spine Albrik against unloaded Bowbold.

Albrik swings his axe into Bowbolds ribs. Bowbold falls to the floor, then loses a foot a second later.

And that'll do for Bowbold.

Kills:
Combat Liberalism: 2
Jameson: 1
Albrik: 1

Apeliminator: 1

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 29, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"GUYS OKAY I'M HERE SORRY I GOT CAUGHT IN TRAFFIC COP PULLED ME OVER THE DOG ATE MY IRON CAP BUT I'M ALL READY TO FIGHT NOW LET'S DO THIS WHO'S READY FOR A FI--"

"...h-hello?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Disgraceful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PS: You bastard

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That took a lot more time to edit than I thought it would.

No funny business other than editing the pics, I promise.

Original log:
http://pastebin.com/AAigPEUf

Album of unedited pics:
http://imgur.com/a/4h3Ml

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Apeliminator has risen to equal third on the Pals' kill lists, Punc Hant could well be displaced given current trends.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jimbo v. Albrik

http://i.imgur.com/vIFxf18.gifv

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yay! :)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh wait, my team lost.

Still yay! :)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

battle of the titans (jimbo in the white jersey)

alcharagia posted:

Oh wait, my team lost.

Still yay! :)

thats the spirit

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 29, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Haha it took me quite some time to realise what was going on here.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh and this match was the first match i saw where :siren:albrik hurt someone through iron armor:siren:

Albrik_COOP hacks Jimbo Akimbo_CRAP in the right hand with his iron battle axe, bruising the skin through the small iron right gauntlet!

watch the gently caress out you iron plated gits, your days are loving numbered

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh and this match was the first match i saw where :siren:albrik hurt someone through iron armor:siren:

Albrik_COOP hacks Jimbo Akimbo_CRAP in the right hand with his iron battle axe, bruising the skin through the small iron right gauntlet!

watch the gently caress out you iron plated gits, your days are loving numbered

Gauntlets are thinner.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ramc posted:

Gauntlets are thinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODcC5z6Ca0

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Also notice they are 'small' gauntlets. Thus thinner than human-sized gauntlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Also note it was Jimbo who is a huge pussy.