Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I said before how I felt bad for people like this dealers who got shafted hard by corporate VWs decisions regarding the diesel thing. Turns out that they aren't very happy about it either.

veedubfreak posted:

ahaha, someone spent 10 bucks to give me an awesome new avatar. Rock on.

How long till you rebuy your old avatar again :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

I said before how I felt bad for people like this dealers who got shafted hard by corporate VWs decisions regarding the diesel thing. Turns out that they aren't very happy about it either.

How long till you rebuy your old avatar again :allears:

Dunno, I kinda think this one is funny. I change my avatar to something different each time I piss someone off anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I used Rain-X windshield washer fluid for years until the formula changed and broke my fluid level sensor. I've been driving with it telling my I was low for like two years now. Lately, the light generally doesn't come on anymore (sometimes it does, sometimes it does after I've been driving for a while). Maybe it's fixing itself? Or the electronics are getting more broke and the faults are cancelling each other out!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've always wondered if unplugging the sensor and/or putting a jumper over the terminals would keep the dash light from coming on. I love me some Rain-X, and don't really need a sensor to tell me I'm out of fluid.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

I used Rain-X windshield washer fluid for years until the formula changed and broke my fluid level sensor. I've been driving with it telling my I was low for like two years now. Lately, the light generally doesn't come on anymore (sometimes it does, sometimes it does after I've been driving for a while). Maybe it's fixing itself? Or the electronics are getting more broke and the faults are cancelling each other out!

It's on the way to your brake lights.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FTC has filled suit against VW.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/03/ftc-sues-volkswagen-says-clean-diesel-advertising-was-deceptive/

quote:

This latest complaint from the FTC does not specify how much the commission is seeking, but in a press release the commission notes that VGoA had sold or leased more than 550,000 diesel vehicles for an average price of $28,000, "based on false claims that the cars were low-emission, environmentally friendly, met emissions standards and would maintain a high resale value." (This complaint does not include the handful of diesel Porsches on which Volkswagen AG, the umbrella company above VGoA, also installed defeat devices, but it does include Audis sold through VGoA.) A press release from the FTC states that it will seek compensation for VGoA customers.

If the FTC steps in for compensation, no one is going to have to worry about the class action.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dont have any faith in the FTC after how badly they hosed up the safeway - albertsons merger. Complete madness that has negatively impacted the grocery market on the west coast in a huge way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
VW is turbofucked in the US if they don't make the dealers happy. You can't unpoison that well with $500 gift cards.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I wish the dealers just had more competitive rates for tires. I was willing to put new ones on my wife's Jetta at the dealer, but I can buy four anywhere else for the price of two there. I still have $400 left on that gift card, who benefits with that getting unused? I might just end up buying 40 VW coffee mugs or totes with the remaining balance.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was considering calling a few and see if they'd let me use it for window tint for two of my cars.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kramdar posted:

I wish the dealers just had more competitive rates for tires. I was willing to put new ones on my wife's Jetta at the dealer, but I can buy four anywhere else for the price of two there. I still have $400 left on that gift card, who benefits with that getting unused? I might just end up buying 40 VW coffee mugs or totes with the remaining balance.

Yeah I have two dealer cards that I need to use before the end of the year (for my passat and my GF's jetta) and I'm thinking of just getting tires even though I won't need them for another 20k miles. There isn't anything else to spend it on.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Maybe buy an extra key fob?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8ender posted:

Maybe buy an extra key fob?

I guess I could do that but I already have the extra that came with the car. I can't imagine needing 3 of the things. The GF wanted a roof rack but she said she only wanted it it because it looked cool not because she'd ever use it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
~30 spare oil filters?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr-Spain posted:

I'm going to be at NADA Friday. I'll see if I can get any juicy rumors.
See if there's any rumors of North America getting the RS4 sedan. :pray:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uthor posted:

~30 spare oil filters?

Yeah the service guy that was helping me said he bought like 20 hats and a bunch of sweaters because he couldn't figure out what to spend his on either.

It really sucks that they expire in December though. I doubt I'd need my 30k service by then.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the service guy that was helping me said he bought like 20 hats and a bunch of sweaters because he couldn't figure out what to spend his on either.

It really sucks that they expire in December though. I doubt I'd need my 30k service by then.

Our 30k service comes up in something like September, so we lucked out on that. My alternative plan was to buy a crate of mugs or whatever and sell them for half price on ebay. Kind of a VW flavored food stamps -> Pepsi - > cigarettes routine.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Are fluids and brake pads out of the question? Stock up on coolant concentrate, brake fluid and pads, synthetic oil, headlights, any consumable you reasonably think you'll need if you're keeping it long term.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Kramdar posted:

I still have $400 left on that gift card, who benefits with that getting unused?

VW does from every possible cent that isn't claimed before expiration.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The other benefit of unredeemed money on gift cards is you can choose to recognize that revenue practically whenever the gently caress you want, so it becomes yet another tool for companies to lower their tax liability. Such a great invention the gift card, I wonder how many yachts that cheap little piece of plastic has made real.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
The FTC flexing some muscle is fine and whatnot, but in my opinion affected owners will have better odds at making themselves whole through these class actions--and even that's a long shot. Do not hold your breath on the FTC getting enough money to make all the consumers happy here; it never happens.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blakkout posted:

The FTC flexing some muscle is fine and whatnot, but in my opinion affected owners will have better odds at making themselves whole through these class actions--and even that's a long shot. Do not hold your breath on the FTC getting enough money to make all the consumers happy here; it never happens.

We're all hosed as far as getting any real restitution goes. At this point I just want to watch the dogpile and see VW of America burn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blakkout posted:

Wish they'd flex their muscle with Drug Companies and pricing schemes.

Nah, let's jump in the dogpile. That's more fun.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone in CO that needs to use their gift card, I need to buy a spare which runs around 160 bucks.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

:chanpop:

fake edit: I did not buy this

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Whoever did it messed up by not making it red though.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

veedubfreak posted:

Whoever did it messed up by not making it red though.

True.

-red text haver

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I can't imagine needing 3 of the things.

Until you lose one and realize that you can't pair a new one without two that are already paired and have to spend $300 at the dealership to get it done.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I have a 2012 TDI Jetta and I'm starting to get letters about class action lawsuits and individual consumer lawsuits (I'm in VA, if that helps.) I've already received my $1000 in apology money from VW. Are these things that I should be taking seriously?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TsarZiedonis posted:

I have a 2012 TDI Jetta and I'm starting to get letters about class action lawsuits and individual consumer lawsuits (I'm in VA, if that helps.) I've already received my $1000 in apology money from VW. Are these things that I should be taking seriously?

If you want to get some kind of compensation for the value loving your car got, yes.

It probably wont' be much. The lawyers will suck up a lot of it, but it is also pretty much the only recourse you have.

The good side of it is that it's zero effort on your part, so it's not like you'll invest a ton of time for that small reward.

edit: full disclosure, I've been on the class action bandwagon for my 2014 TDI from day 1.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want to get some kind of compensation for the value loving your car got, yes.

It probably wont' be much. The lawyers will suck up a lot of it, but it is also pretty much the only recourse you have.

The good side of it is that it's zero effort on your part, so it's not like you'll invest a ton of time for that small reward.

edit: full disclosure, I've been on the class action bandwagon for my 2014 TDI from day 1.

I'm basically just biding my time trying to see which one is going to be the best one to get in on and go from there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'm basically just biding my time trying to see which one is going to be the best one to get in on and go from there.

Which class action? My understanding is that the way these things work all the various suits get rolled up into one big one, and all the lawyers involved team up to negotiate some kind of settlement. At least that's the gist I got from all the emails I got from the firm I signed up with talking about how thrilled they were that they got to take lead on something or other because they filed in a specific district early which means they get to be at the grownups table post-consolidation.

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet, so take that all with a grain of salt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Get in on the class action, I mean you can bide your time and wait for a claims suit, but the class action has no buy in and will likely net the most.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It'll probably be some pittance or $1500 off (MSRP) a new VW

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My parents have a Cayenne diesel. Haven't gotten a letter yet, weird.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

My parents have a Cayenne diesel. Haven't gotten a letter yet, weird.

That's the v10 though right? From what I gathered it's only an issue on the 2.0l.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

That's the v10 though right? From what I gathered it's only an issue on the 2.0l.

and the 3.0 v6

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
People that are planning on going in on the class action suit - any specific reason why you wouldn't take VW to small claims court?

As I've already mentioned, I'm planning on doing small claims court, but I don't want to make the wrong choice and lose money.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

veedubfreak posted:

I thought the Cayenne diesel was a 3.0 V6?