Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Litany Unheard posted:

The lower court decision was for the Unions, right?

Thank you, Justice Scalia. You did the right thing.

It's doubly funny because the plaintiffs asked the lower courts to rule against them so they could get to the SCOTUS faster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Litany Unheard posted:

The lower court decision was for the Unions, right?

Thank you, Justice Scalia. You did the right thing.

Yeah the district court held for the unions, the circuit court gave a two paragraph ruling that there were SCOTUS cases that controlled, and SCOTUS gave a 1 line per curium affirmed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's pretty funny between that and the chemical company settling right after Scalia died how nakedly partisan everyone understood his rulings to be.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

Scalia's death continues to pay us cultural dividends.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rygar201 posted:

It's doubly funny because the plaintiffs asked the lower courts to rule against them so they could get to the SCOTUS faster!

Hey now, they just wanted to get to SCOTUS before Scalia died.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So what would've happened had this been heard when the Court still had 9 members? What was the case actually about?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

axeil posted:

So what would've happened had this been heard when the Court still had 9 members? What was the case actually about?
Compelling public-sector employees to contribute union dues as they benefit directly from the union's bargaining whether they want to belong or not. Basically making GBS threads on the whole "right to work" stuff we've been seeing that's destroying unions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axeil posted:

Basically right now public sector unions are in a "union shop" environment where you're automatically in the union and they'll take a small chunk out of your paycheck for dues. The case was trying to get rid of all of that, and making it your regular right to work (which is not "at will") environment that's in the private sector.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

axeil posted:

Public-sector unions charge dues to their members and a smaller "agency fee" to non-members because the non-members benefit from their bargaining. A group of non-members filed suit because they disagreed politically with the union's activities but were forced to pay these fees anyway. Had the Court ruled for them with a clear majority, these fees would have been eliminated nationwide and weakened all public-sector unions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

Basically right now public sector unions are in a "union shop" environment where you're automatically in the union and they'll take a small chunk out of your paycheck for dues. The case was trying to get rid of all of that, and making it your regular right to work (which is not "at will") environment that's in the private sector.
It's in the private sector depending on the state. Some states don't have "right to work" laws.

The issue is that unions have a free-rider problem. If you can get the benefits (higher wages, better benefits) of a union without actually being in the union, why join? The agency fee is intended to make sure that everybody bears the cost equally. Otherwise, there's a substantial financial incentive not to join. (The whole economic/ethical benefits of unionization at all, I'm not competent to defend.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

axeil posted:

It's been touched on, but basically public sector unions would no longer be able to collect compulsory dues and a ruling against them would essentially destroy public sector unions.

The theory that they sued on was this: public sector unions currently cannot use compulsory dues for political lobbying. Because public sector union employees are employees of the state, 100% of the union's activity is political lobbying and thus they cannot collect compulsory dues from anyone.

This lost at the district court and circuit court because there is existing controlling precedent. With Scalia alive, this would have been overturned.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

quote:

a million explanations

Ah thanks guys. As a former public sector union employee this makes a lot of sense. Didn't know the whole reason this case went forward is someone argued all actions of a public sector union were political actions, which seems like an insane argument to me. By that same logic, are all actions of a government contractor political actions? I mean they're getting paid with public funds after all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

Ah thanks guys. As a former public sector union employee this makes a lot of sense. Didn't know the whole reason this case went forward is someone argued all actions of a public sector union were political actions, which seems like an insane argument to me. By that same logic, are all actions of a government contractor political actions? I mean they're getting paid with public funds after all.

Generally yes. Companies will lobby for particular projects and spend money in manners that they find are politically expedient. It's why the F35 is being designed or sourced from like 45 different states in the country. You cancel the F35, you take away money being sent to the constituents of 90 senators and hundreds of representatives. Many of those shops are going to be owned by minorities, veterans, or disabilities or some combination thereof too.

The only exception is that companies will develop their own internal R&D for things that they'll see being technologically viable or a major upgrade down the road. But even then that'll be likely used as a chip in the next set of contract negotiations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 29, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just to be clear the small fee paid by non numbers usually only funds CBA work and not political activity.

I am pretty sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Just to be clear the small fee paid by non numbers usually only funds CBA work and not political activity.

I am pretty sure.

Correct. The union must have a separate pot of money besides compulsory dues used for political activity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

axeil posted:

That's the ultimate goal of the people litigating this against the unions.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's the ultimate goal of the people litigating this against the unions.

That seems like an insane/terrible endgoal. The government buys lots of things from lots of companies. Are people going to argue with a straight face that "random lightbulb supply company" is making a political action when they sell a bunch of lightbulbs to some office in DC?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yes, because then you can keep the government from doing anything

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

axeil posted:

That seems like an insane/terrible endgoal. The government buys lots of things from lots of companies. Are people going to argue with a straight face that "random lightbulb supply company" is making a political action when they sell a bunch of lightbulbs to some office in DC?

Of course it's insane and terrible, but the point is to utterly gently caress any kind of worker's organization or rights over, and they ultimately would love to make everything even resembling a union illegal. But in the meantime, finding loopholes like this to dick over unions where they can will do nicely in their eyes.

Thank Christ Scalia jacked himself to death when he did.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the anti-Union crowd is totally okay with corporate lobbying.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Corporations are people, my friend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The Free Hand of Capitalism :patriot:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oracle posted:

Corporations are people, my friend.

Persons. They are persons.

Of all threads lets get it right in this one.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

euphronius posted:

Is this a grammar issue or a legal terms issue? Is 'persons' defined differently than 'people'?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Is this a grammar issue or a legal terms issue? Is 'persons' defined differently than 'people'?

Personhood is a legal term for a type of entity entitled to certain rights and privileges.

I.e. children may not be considered persons depending on the jurisdiction and context.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

euphronius posted:

"Corporations are people, my friends" is a direct Romney quote.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

axeil posted:

A lot of people (including me) would consider participating in a lightbulb boycott against the government, or (e.g.) refusing to sell lightbulbs to the army in a time of war, as political actions. The act of selling light bulbs to the government should be understood in that context. Depending on whatever hypothetical government lightbulb regulation is challenged, a hypothetical claimant might exist who is able to raise first amendment issues.

Lightbulbs as speech is a stronger case IMO than union dues as speech.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Corporations are people, my friends" is a direct Romney quote.

Oh. Well he is dumb.

Rygar201 posted:

People have full rights including political rights. Persons can include people and other legal bodies which have limited rights such as the right to own property and sue.

Corporation just means fictional person. This is more clearly seen in things like cities and counties which are municipal corporations. The us code defines corporations as persons but not people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

euphronius posted:

Oh. Well he is dumb.

People have full rights including political rights. Persons can include people and other legal bodies which have limited rights such as the right to own property and sue.

Corporation just means fictional person. This is more clearly seen in things like cities and counties which are municipal corporations. The us code defines corporations as persons but not people.

While hilarious, that Mitt Romney quote is constantly taken out of context. In context, as I recall, it would have been more accurately phrased as corporations are MADE UP OF people [and therefore not soulless evil artificial intelligences].

I think that diagnosis ignores the fact that the corporate entity acts sort of like a composite entity and even the C-level folks are partially beholden to corporate structure and priorities, and is therefore kind of dumb and whitewashy, but it's not QUITE as dumb as the soundbite alone sounds.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The sufficient context for that quote is that it was said by Mitt Romney, to be honest.

Meanwhile, SCOTUS is doing something interesting and basically said "please tell us in what way you would like birth control coverage to be handled without offending your sensibilities".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

euphronius posted:

Oh. Well he is dumb.

You have to see it to get the full effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlPQkd_AA6c

Yeah I have no idea why we didn't elect Robot McSmugface.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"Corporation are made up of people" is basically Citizens United so that is less dumb.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While hilarious, that Mitt Romney quote is constantly taken out of context. In context, as I recall, it would have been more accurately phrased as corporations are MADE UP OF people [and therefore not soulless evil artificial intelligences].

I think that diagnosis ignores the fact that the corporate entity acts sort of like a composite entity and even the C-level folks are partially beholden to corporate structure and priorities, and is therefore kind of dumb and whitewashy, but it's not QUITE as dumb as the soundbite alone sounds.

therefore Hobby Lobby was correctly decided :rolleyes:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you recognize made up of people, you come dangerously close to recognizing that those people
have interests and that corporations aren't just a nexus of contracts extracting value for shareholders. If every employee of Exxon died tonight, Exxon would still exist tomorrow.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

If you recognize made up of people, you come dangerously close to recognizing that those people
have interests and that corporations aren't just a nexus of contracts extracting value for shareholders. If every employee of Exxon died tonight, Exxon would still exist tomorrow.

Politifact nominates this as lie of the year.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's charitable to say that the idea of corporations being democratic representatives of the people working in them is a delusion, because this is not actually what Republicans think either.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's charitable to say that the idea of corporations being democratic representatives of the people working in them is a delusion, because this is not actually what Republicans think either.

Sure they are, it's just that only shareholders are people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

To inaccurately quote something someone once said, corporations will be people when the state executes one.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

El Scotch posted:

corporations bankers will be people when the state executes one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Large publicly held corps aren't the only form.

Many probably the vast majority of corps are privately held family businesses or businesses where the officers are the shareholders.