Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kuskus posted:

I don't think the TB2 GPU boxes are going to be fast enough for VR (or 1440p / 60fps). I have a Vive coming and I would love little more than to backpack my 2013 15" rMBP and a GPU box instead of building a new workstation. Somebody prove me wrong plz.

Edit: Actually, the Bizon Box + 300W GPU is $649 before the card, and that's most of the cost of a more future-proof system without speed hits and with USB-C. Womp womp.

TBH, it only really makes sense (relative term) if you've got something like a 5k iMac.

The relative cost of the display on its own arguably makes a properly spec'd iMac a solid deal of a computer and its components are all burly enough save for the GPU.

If you imagine the display costing ~$1000 on its own, an attractive, relatively powerful PC for an additional $1k plus the cost of the right GPU and enclosure, it's not super unreasonable.

You could make the argument that dual-booting is worth the couple hundred dollar premium if you like OSX enough to buy a Mac in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cmd- O is open folders as opposed to Enter. This was my biggest issue.
This is probably better off being discussed in the software thread but I find Cmd+Down Arrow (in Finder at least Cmd+Up is go up a level and Cmd+Down is go down which is also interpreted as open folder since it's technically going 'down' the folder tree) to be easier to use rather than Cmd+O. As an added bonus, when you get to a file or an app bundle Cmd+Down will open it since it's as far down as it can go. When working with text in programs like TextEdit, Cmd+left arrow is how 'home' behaves in Windows, Cmd+right is 'end', Cmd+up is 'page up' and Cmd+down is 'page down'.

I actually find the Cmd+arrow keys to be nicer to use than the function block in general (since they're closer to the main part of the keyboard, particularly on Apple's laptop keyboards) and often get a bit mixed up when using my Windows PC at work. I'm a bit special and have it set up so it shares a keyboard with a Mac layout and I end up doing Windows+Left Arrow which moves the email I was working on to the left half of the screen instead of jumping back to the start of the line of text like I intended :downs:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

gently caress you, I have almost no need for a laptop and now I own one... Maybe. For this price it might be a pppppppppowerbook.

isthisonetaken
Sep 9, 2011
College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Howdy howdy- I have a 13" retina MBP that I purchased new last April after they were refreshed. It's been going great and all, but within the past couple weeks, I've occasionally had situations where suddenly the built-in trackpad stops working, then a moment later the MBP freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. This can happen any time and doesn't seem to matter what is running at the time (Safari, Messages, whatever), and I DO have the machine hooked up to a Cintiq while I'm running Clip Studio, but it hasn't frozen with that until earlier today. I've got the latest versions of the magic trackpad and keyboard in my place, so occasionally my MBP will announce that it lost connection with them if I go to another room, although I doubt that would have anything to do with it.

I just ran the built in diagnostics and it said I need the battery fixed (luckily I checked now, I forgot to purchase applecare for my machine... caught just in time :v: ) so I have an appointment to have that done on thursday. Nonetheless, has anyone else been seeing these freezing problems on the 2015 models? It sounds more like a motherboard issue. I'm really worrying as I've had to restart the machine twice today, and this is my primary work machine.

Edit: I'm running 10.11.4, it's the i7 model with 16gb of RAM, stock 500gb SSD and the Iris 6100 GPU

I've got the 13" i5/16/128 and I've been having crashes since the 11.4 betas came out. Usually in Safari for what it's worth. I was hoping it was just a beta thing but they're still happening.
One unadvertised feature of the new trackpads - they're a solid indicator of a system crash. No more waiting to see if the system will start responding again :/

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OGB posted:

Ad blocker wise, I recommend Wipr. Got nothing on the SA side.

I installed this on Safari. Am I right in thinking there's no settings? There's no button on the toolbar, and I can't seem to make custom rules with the right-click menu like I was expecting to be able to do.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

isthisonetaken posted:

I've got the 13" i5/16/128 and I've been having crashes since the 11.4 betas came out. Usually in Safari for what it's worth. I was hoping it was just a beta thing but they're still happening.
One unadvertised feature of the new trackpads - they're a solid indicator of a system crash. No more waiting to see if the system will start responding again :/

Ha, true. I wasn't clear that this happens mostly with the built in tracked as well. :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Electric Bugaloo posted:

TBH, it only really makes sense (relative term) if you've got something like a 5k iMac.

The relative cost of the display on its own arguably makes a properly spec'd iMac a solid deal of a computer and its components are all burly enough save for the GPU.

If you imagine the display costing ~$1000 on its own, an attractive, relatively powerful PC for an additional $1k plus the cost of the right GPU and enclosure, it's not super unreasonable.

You could make the argument that dual-booting is worth the couple hundred dollar premium if you like OSX enough to buy a Mac in the first place.

Is there any way currently to connect the eGPU to the Retina iMac's screen?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hey all. Getting a Macbook (the USB-C) one, and am checking into peripherals. Is there a recommended hub or other 'gotta have' accessories from the 8 billion options on Amazon? I have a lot of Anker stuff and am happy with them normally. Getting this - http://smile.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Android-Devices/dp/B0196JB1ZS/ref=cm_wl_huc_item - as a travel charger.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Is there any way currently to connect the eGPU to the Retina iMac's screen?
In theory yes, basically how Razer's laptops are doing it, copy the output of the eGPU back over the cable to display through the internal GPU. If there's enough bandwidth to scale up and work well at 5K I have no clue though. I vaguely remember hearing other solutions getting noticeable latency or some performance drop doing the same method with whatever computers, but TB3 is a big jump over previous options.

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

I think I remember them saying things are more performant if you game off a screen connected directly to the GPU rather than using the built in screen, but I haven't been able to find any info on what the impact is when trying to do that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

pipebomb posted:

Hey all. Getting a Macbook (the USB-C) one

Hey, that's fine. Just be sure you know what you're getting yourself into with this. It's quite underpowered, and due to the thermal solution of "laptop body as a giant passive cooler", it's prone to throttling itself frequently. There's a nice video by Linus Tech Tips where he demonstrates that the only feasible way to prevent it from throttling is to apply a constant cooling pad to the entire bottom of the laptop, such as his method, by setting it in contact with a pan of ice water while all of the ports are sealed with kneaded eraser.

On the other hand, I helped get my BF a Mac Mini from the current generation, the 2.6GHz model with no extra perks, with a 30% markup from the shipping clearinghouse that's forwarding it to Chile for him. It'll still be faster than the not-laptop* he's currently using, and it'll be his first real Mac, so there's that too. I'm going to help him all the way, including remote controlling if he needs me to teach him things. It'll be fun!

Plus, he's not really heavy into most games, so the Iris 5100 graphics won't be too much different from the HD Graphics 4000 he's moving away from.

* The screen and the keyboard are broken. Maybe best if I don't explain how those happened. I hope he'll be more careful with this little machine.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jeherrin posted:

I installed this on Safari. Am I right in thinking there's no settings? There's no button on the toolbar, and I can't seem to make custom rules with the right-click menu like I was expecting to be able to do.

Yeah, it's all or nothing, which has its downsides.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

In theory yes, basically how Razer's laptops are doing it, copy the output of the eGPU back over the cable to display through the internal GPU. If there's enough bandwidth to scale up and work well at 5K I have no clue though. I vaguely remember hearing other solutions getting noticeable latency or some performance drop doing the same method with whatever computers, but TB3 is a big jump over previous options.

TB3 = 40Gbps
5K@60Hz = 21.2 Gbps

So there's enough bandwidth there, but losing more than half the GPU-to-system bandwidth to video refresh isn't ideal. If you're playing games the non refresh traffic in that direction isn't high, though.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

BobHoward posted:

TB3 = 40Gbps
5K@60Hz = 21.2 Gbps

So there's enough bandwidth there, but losing more than half the GPU-to-system bandwidth to video refresh isn't ideal. If you're playing games the non refresh traffic in that direction isn't high, though.

Kind of a general question here: from a latency perspective, is there a noticeable lag between me pushing forward (W) in a game, having that command get sent out to the external graphics to process the movement, then having that information sent back to the local machine then out to the monitor?

(I might be wildly misunderstanding how external graphics over TB3 work).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There will be extra latency, yes. Exactly how much is hard to say. The simple ways of implementing it would add an average of a half frame of latency and some tearing.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also, I'm pretty sure you need DisplayPort 1.3 to actually handle the video signal at that bandwidth and as far as I'm aware Skylake was only DP 1.2 with TB3 so you're still stuck with the current limitations of anything using DP 1.2. I think the next processor release (Kaby Lake?) is going to include DP 1.3 in the ThunderBolt 3 support that the chipset provides so it should be possible at that point.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

There will be extra latency, yes. Exactly how much is hard to say. The simple ways of implementing it would add an average of a half frame of latency and some tearing.

Can't be much higher than the 16ms of latency I incur when using Steam In Home Streaming to play games from my Windows tower to my Retina 5K iMac, using NVEnc on the Windows PC, and software decoding on the Mac, because the hardware decoding is buggy. I don't even really notice the single frame of latency from just the encode to GigE to decode pipeline. TB3 and even TB2 should be similar, if not better due to the lack of H.264 compression and decompression going on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If there's no lag, what am I supposed to blame for my poor performance? My inadequate skills?! Puh-leaze.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I want optical TB3 cables so I can put my razer core out in the back shed or at least be able to smash a hole in my wall like this drip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=649s

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 30, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

The Milkman posted:

The biggest thing I miss when I'm on Windows is <Space> while in Finder/Desktop to do the quick preview thing. Works on images, audio, video, most kinds of documents, even weblocs.

:eyepop::aaaaa:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

KingEup posted:

I want optical TB3 cables so I can put my razer core out in the back shed or at least be able to smash a hole in my wall like this drip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=649s

Goddamn could this guy have a more annoying voice? Also lmao at his rackmount PC with a loving window in it for his :sicknasty: lights

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercurius posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure you need DisplayPort 1.3 to actually handle the video signal at that bandwidth and as far as I'm aware Skylake was only DP 1.2 with TB3 so you're still stuck with the current limitations of anything using DP 1.2. I think the next processor release (Kaby Lake?) is going to include DP 1.3 in the ThunderBolt 3 support that the chipset provides so it should be possible at that point.
For a DP signal yes, but in this particular case (external GPU back to internal) afaik you're transferring the image through the PCIe data channel.

But in any case DP 1.3 is something else I've wondered about, cause I'm not sure you can just slap on whatever DP version to the TB controller. There might need to be a new controller/TB version to handle a newer DP. Hopefully they can do a minor bump quicker since the bandwidth is already there instead of waiting however many years for TB4 (at which point might line up with DP 1.4).

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Okay, here I am again (13inch rMBP early '15). I was about to really start hating this thing for regularly (once a day to once every two days) crashing just any random app, which I don't expect any modern computer to do. Turns out it's related: every once in a while the file picker just stops working and it will crash whatever app I'm using when I try to open or save something. This will not be resolved by a force quit, only rebooting will help. Applecare basically just said "call us when it happens", which of course I'll do, but maybe someone else has had this happen and found a fix? I can find people who've had the same problem as early as 2013 but so far no fix.

If it happens when I want to upload something to imgur, no biggie. Just annoying that I have to reboot. But so far it's resulted in me losing work when trying to save in Photoshop, and that's completely unacceptable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I Am Crake posted:

Okay, here I am again (13inch rMBP early '15). I was about to really start hating this thing for regularly (once a day to once every two days) crashing just any random app, which I don't expect any modern computer to do. Turns out it's related: every once in a while the file picker just stops working and it will crash whatever app I'm using when I try to open or save something. This will not be resolved by a force quit, only rebooting will help. Applecare basically just said "call us when it happens", which of course I'll do, but maybe someone else has had this happen and found a fix? I can find people who've had the same problem as early as 2013 but so far no fix.

If it happens when I want to upload something to imgur, no biggie. Just annoying that I have to reboot. But so far it's resulted in me losing work when trying to save in Photoshop, and that's completely unacceptable.

If they have no other solution than "welp, just reboot", personally I'd keep pushing for a fix (or most likely replacement).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has this exclusively happened in Photoshop only, or can it happen in any application that invokes the open/save window? If the latter, have you tried repairing the disk/partition in Disk Utility?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah if it's happening everywhere with the file dialogs I'd be thinking disk issue, or some hack/utility that messes with that is broken now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

If they have no other solution than "welp, just reboot", personally I'd keep pushing for a fix (or most likely replacement).

Why a replacement?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why a replacement?

I left out "parts" in case it turns out to be a hardware issue.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Yup, it happens in any app that uses the file picker. It can happen when I save or open, so whenever the file saver is opened.

Just got my first system crash as well when I opened a Powerpoint file so can't say I'm too thrilled with this machine as of yet.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone else refuse to upgrade from Office 2011?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

I Am Crake posted:

Yup, it happens in any app that uses the file picker. It can happen when I save or open, so whenever the file saver is opened.

Just got my first system crash as well when I opened a Powerpoint file so can't say I'm too thrilled with this machine as of yet.

You have a hardware problem. I'd put money on your SSD being hosed, but bad RAM can do similar poo poo. Disk Utility isn't going to help you here. If you're near an Apple Store, bring it in and they shouldn't have too much trouble confirming you have a problem. If you're not, call AppleCare again and demand to send it in for repair.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Housh posted:

I got 2016 free through school and it's pretty awesome. No crashes and it's fast as poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Housh posted:

I wouldn't say I've refused to, but I just dont see a compelling reason to. My old Office works just fine for what I need it to do, it's stable, basically I've never had a problem with ti.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn't say I've refused to, but I just dont see a compelling reason to. My old Office works just fine for what I need it to do, it's stable, basically I've never had a problem with ti.

It's a blindingly ugly piece of poo poo.

edit:

aragaghgh

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 31, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Biodome posted:

I got 2016 free through school and it's pretty awesome. No crashes and it's fast as poo poo.

though it's not like I was chomping at the bit to kick 2011 to the curb or anything. Office 2011 has been

Cyrano4747 posted:

just fine for what I need it to do, it's stable, basically I've never had a problem with ti.

But compared to 2016,

FCKGW posted:

It's a blindingly ugly piece of poo poo.

So I'd recommend switching on that front alone if you can get a deal on it. Also the UI is consistent with the iOS versions and with iOS/OSX OneNote, which has recently become the A-#1 of note-taking/organization platforms as far as I'm concerned.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Housh posted:

Hell no. I couldn't wait to ditch that poo poo. I installed the Mac preview of 2016 the day it came out and never looked back.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You guys convinced me to give 2016 a shot once I get my newly redesigned rMBP in the summer...Jobs willing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The look doesn't bother be at all. I write for a good chunk of my living so I'm looking at it a few hours a day at least.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mac Hardware Megathread: have you upgraded to office 2016?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
If you order a $60 Windows tablet from amazon, you get a year of O365 for free. You can then return the Windows tablet because it is poo poo, but darn it, the Office stays in your account. Sad!