Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Motherfucker posted:

only the kind of dork who thinks the insitute is cool would think that is the coolest paint :colbert:

But the institute IS cool?
They're the only people in this game who actually clean up poo poo, and don't live in squalor with radioactive debris covering their floors and polluting all their food/water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

wayne curr posted:

But the institute IS cool?
They're the only people in this game who actually clean up poo poo, and don't live in squalor with radioactive debris covering their floors and polluting all their food/water.

There are lots of good and cool parts of the tute, but just as many bad and lame. Which is the worst part about the institute. In typical Bethesda fashion you can't make any decisions as leader.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nasgate posted:

There are lots of good and cool parts of the tute, but just as many bad and lame. Which is the worst part about the institute. In typical Bethesda fashion you can't make any decisions as leader.

uh yes you can. you have interactions with both the outside world, and the institute itself, and that defines what type of leader you are. you could argue there aren't enough and i'd probably agree, but there's enough that you can establish yourself as evil dictator father or kindly bring about a new age of prosperity for everyone father.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

uh yes you can. you have interactions with both the outside world, and the institute itself, and that defines what type of leader you are. you could argue there aren't enough and i'd probably agree, but there's enough that you can establish yourself as evil dictator father or kindly bring about a new age of prosperity for everyone father.

I finished the BoS off, became director. Dealt with the bio lab lock down and nothing else has popped up. None of the heads have anything to say or do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nasgate posted:

I finished the BoS off, became director. Dealt with the bio lab lock down and nothing else has popped up. None of the heads have anything to say or do.

the bio lab lock down was a pretty big deal, and how you handle it really makes it clear how you run the institute. and you get to choose the contents of the transmission you send to the wasteland, which varies from "i'm establishing a hugbox world where we can all live in peace in harmony" to "if you so much as loving look at me we will kill everyone you ever met you vermin."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

the bio lab lock down was a pretty big deal, and how you handle it really makes it clear how you run the institute. and you get to choose the contents of the transmission you send to the wasteland, which varies from "i'm establishing a hugbox world where we can all live in peace in harmony" to "if you so much as loving look at me we will kill everyone you ever met you vermin."

You don't ever see the payoff though is my problem. As well as no direct interactions with topside. Having to kill the railroad instead of talking about it with them is also 100% dumb.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I'm using an actual robot that I've called "Happyman". Is it truly impossible for artificial life to achieve Nirvana?

(Also, I don't know why, but he shrinks whenever he mans the bar, it's great)

I'm not sure about the new robots since I did it before the dlc came out but I remember the strategy I read somewhere claiming synths had all sorts of negative happiness modifiers that made it much more difficult if not impossible to reach 100%

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nasgate posted:

You don't ever see the payoff though is my problem. As well as no direct interactions with topside. Having to kill the railroad instead of talking about it with them is also 100% dumb.

pretty much every npc in the game has dialogue options that appear based on what actions you choose in those two quests. you can't go to diamond city or to the institute without seeing the repercussions of those choices. and how exactly do you see a peace agreement between the railroad and the institute working out? those two factions might have the most irreconcilable differences of any two factions in the game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

pretty much every npc in the game has dialogue options that appear based on what actions you choose in those two quests. you can't go to diamond city or to the institute without seeing the repercussions of those choices. and how exactly do you see a peace agreement between the railroad and the institute working out? those two factions might have the most irreconcilable differences of any two factions in the game.

Incidental dialogue about my speech being weird and that im nice for not straight murdering scientists are not even close to payoff for the Institute overall. Cool for the individual cases, but the whole of the questline is so disjointed it blows my mind.

Gen 3s can make the choice of where to live, institute keeps gen 1s and 2s as servants. Pretty drat easy. Especially if the person helping the negotiations is the most important asset for the Railroad and the Director of the institute. Like poo poo, the Institute is already on the way to figuring out that Gen 3s are fully conscious beings the hard way due to Shaun. The institute would get a strong asset topside, the railroad would get to actually help synths instead of getting them executed. At their base, the Institutes goals have nothing to do with what the Railroad wants. And it's pretty clear than multiple Gen 3s would stay if they were treated as even second class citizens.

But at their base, the Railroad is 100% no threat to the institute whatsoever. So killing them is A) a waste of resources and B) Literal murder

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Fired up FO4 to try out the new robot DLC since I somehow didn't hear about it until today. Experimenting with the random mods I started out with led to this:

Too bad the size change doesn't stick, she grows back to normal size when leaving the stall. :sigh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The worst thing about the Institute is the layout. Whoever designed that thing is history's greatest monster.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man, the plasma thrower is so much better than the flamer. The only good thing about the flamer is the base version has really nice reach. I feel like it'd be decent at low levels, though.

I've been experimenting with the bloatfly ammo with the syringer and it's pretty great. There's like a 95% chance of spawning a bloatfly. Seems to be leveled based on the area too. I cleaned out a high level supermutant camp and every kill netted me a glowing bloatfly. Pretty good exp, and they usually dropped more syringe mats. Between killing the flies and cooking the meat/crafting the ammo it's a nice exp boost, especially since I bit rank 3 of Idiot Savant (which I should have gotten way sooner).

Also, I've gotten a poo poo ton of legendary bloatflies. I wish I kept track of the ratio, because it seems waaay above average. It's seriously like 1 in every 6.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Railroad is basically the Fallout equivalent of the Branch Davidians. Sure, it was kinda lovely to kill them all, but there are very few ways to deal with heavily armed religious fanatics.

Besides, a character as stupid as Tinker Tom and a group willing to take his advice deserved anything bad that happened.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm on my first playthrough and just met elder maxsom and am at main quest to visit glowing sea.

It seems like BoS and Institute are both jerks that I don't like, just different. Do either or both get better, or can you replace the jerks being jerky?

Having trouble being motivated to make the Wasteland a better place by picking sides. Is there a main quest faction I haven't seen?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

xutech posted:

I dislike the fact that power armour is on a 1-best scale. I'd prefer it if each kind of armour had a different bonus or mod set, and you might choose to use raider armour because it has the best melee and unarmed bonus, for example, while enclave armour might be best for energy weapons, and the T series for gauss rifles and firearms. Or somesuch.

And not being able to use all paintjobs on all armour is a mean trick.

That would be nice. I still use whatever I like anyway because power armor is so strong that you can get away with that, but it would be cool if you were incentivized for using the classic-cool T-51 over some of the more try-hard models.

pmchem posted:

I'm on my first playthrough and just met elder maxsom and am at main quest to visit glowing sea.

It seems like BoS and Institute are both jerks that I don't like, just different. Do either or both get better, or can you replace the jerks being jerky?

Having trouble being motivated to make the Wasteland a better place by picking sides. Is there a main quest faction I haven't seen?

Minutemen and Railroad both feel like the "more good" or "less evil" options.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 29, 2016

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Since fallout 4 treats powered armour as progressively better, they should have made the first suit of armour raider powered armour, the raiders fighting to get into the museum in order to loot the generator for a full fusion core. You take the core, power up the armour and then fight off the bandits.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I didn't collect a suit of raider power armor until i had the piezonucleic chest and X01 everything else :v:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

pmchem posted:

I like the Brotherhood because they have some of the best toys, and their goal is to murderfuck a Wasteland full of people who could use a good murderfucking.

Sometimes I enjoy being an awful person.

And no, neither organization gets any better or lets you enact any meaningful change. The Minutemen are definitely the 'best' faction, but only by virtue of not particularly doing much at all - there's as little about them to dislike as there is to enjoy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm going to side with the Institute on my current playthrough and deck out my settlers in synth armor and institute uniforms to make my "reform the Institute" headcanon a reality.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Survival beta is out

https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=tw...e/2016/03/29/96

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd rather pick either the BOS or the Institute because at least they have plans for fixing the future. The Minutemen think mankind's future is being simple dirt farmers and the Railroad doesn't seem to have any future goals besides freeing all synths.

Really though the way Bethesda handled the factions is pants on head retarded. If Obsidian made this game there's been some sort of option to unite all the factions or at the very least kick the jerks running them out and have you actually running things. And of course, a better but buggier game. :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 29, 2016

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I found Cricket face-down on the path to Vault 111. I resurrected her, but what should I expect her behavior to be from now on? Is she going to continue to roam the Wasteland with her apparently ineffectual caravan guards?

Shouldn't Cricket have been essential?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Besides the No Fast Travel thing everything about this looks cool

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Reduced carry load sounds like a pain in the rear end. No one enjoys the realism of being a weakling or being punished for collecting junk, a gameplay element that's heavily encouraged. In addition you can no longer fast travel so you have no place to conveniently offload it. You can't really have a "home base" any more so much as a scattering of poorly-supplied settlements that might have a bed and a turret (if you're lucky) because that's as much materials as you were able to lug there before being overencumbered. Needless to say those dozens of haphazard settlements will be regularly attacked, which you can't really afford to care about anymore if you have to travel to the other side of the map on foot to defend them every time - they'll just be blasted craters with save points in them now. All of these problems feed into each other and exacerbate their respective issues exponentially.

I appreciate the effort they've put into this but I'm probably going to keep playing on hard and just modding in the hardcore features I want.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
I did all of the quests up till the point where I had to make a choice and left my save at that.

Been looking at the robot DLC however been told it's just like one quest and robot NPC. Dunno if I can be bothered reinstalling for that.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

frajaq posted:

Besides the No Fast Travel thing everything about this looks cool

Personally, I'm more bothered by the reduced carry weight. I can't stand having to leave perfectly good loot behind. I vacuum up every tin can and random doodad I can get my hands on. I just know a survival playthrough would end up taking me a million years of trudging back and forth from sanctuary dropping off all my loot.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I considered rolling a new character to check out the DLC and Survival (whenever it comes to consoles). Apparently the DLC is lovely and half-assed, and survival seems like they just made a lot of stuff more tedious. The damage rebalance seems sort of cool, and adrenaline is interesting, but otherwise the changes look like they're pretty lovely.

Uh... I guess I'll wait until something decent is released before I give this another playthrough.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Being able to turn Codsworth into a death dealing sentry bot was worth the price of admission alone.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Minutemen and Railroad both feel like the "more good" or "less evil" options.

hmm, so you can finish the main quest without choosing BOS or Inst as your "side"? Is completing/leading any of the Minutemen, railroad, BOS or Inst mutually exclusive with each other? If so, which conflict?

thanks

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Personally, I'm more bothered by the reduced carry weight. I can't stand having to leave perfectly good loot behind. I vacuum up every tin can and random doodad I can get my hands on. I just know a survival playthrough would end up taking me a million years of trudging back and forth from sanctuary dropping off all my loot.

Having spent 10 minutes with the beta on an existing save, the reduced carry weight is definitely a shock if you're running a lower-strength character. I went from hauling around 300 lbs. of stuff without a problem to only being able to carry about half of that, and now that ammunition has weight too I definitely see crafting anything meaningful early on being a problem. That said, crafting was the source of a ton of very quick level-ups when I first played the game so maybe it'll even out the progression a bit and make power armor, caravans and buffout more important. I do wish there were more ways to up your capacity though, like backpacks and such, or being able to mark a location for scavengers at your closest settlement.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 29, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Why does jezebel even exist in the DLC. Definitely feels like a planned then scrapped alternative companion to Ada. She just sits around as a useless extra settler who doesn't even react to me ending the Mechanist's robot incursion.

I outsmarted and out-talked the Mechanist. She doesn't even acknowledge that happened. :geno:

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

So you want a more realistic gameplay, but yet be able to lug 300lbs of guns/armor/trash while nimbly fighting off ghouls and mutants?

This is honestly like asking to put the top down on a convertible and not expect to get wet when it rains.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nasgate posted:

Incidental dialogue about my speech being weird and that im nice for not straight murdering scientists are not even close to payoff for the Institute overall. Cool for the individual cases, but the whole of the questline is so disjointed it blows my mind.

Gen 3s can make the choice of where to live, institute keeps gen 1s and 2s as servants. Pretty drat easy. Especially if the person helping the negotiations is the most important asset for the Railroad and the Director of the institute. Like poo poo, the Institute is already on the way to figuring out that Gen 3s are fully conscious beings the hard way due to Shaun. The institute would get a strong asset topside, the railroad would get to actually help synths instead of getting them executed. At their base, the Institutes goals have nothing to do with what the Railroad wants. And it's pretty clear than multiple Gen 3s would stay if they were treated as even second class citizens.

But at their base, the Railroad is 100% no threat to the institute whatsoever. So killing them is A) a waste of resources and B) Literal murder

Maybe you should just enjoy the game Nas.

Deified Data posted:

Reduced carry load sounds like a pain in the rear end. No one enjoys the realism of being a weakling or being punished for collecting junk, a gameplay element that's heavily encouraged. In addition you can no longer fast travel so you have no place to conveniently offload it. You can't really have a "home base" any more so much as a scattering of poorly-supplied settlements that might have a bed and a turret (if you're lucky) because that's as much materials as you were able to lug there before being overencumbered. Needless to say those dozens of haphazard settlements will be regularly attacked, which you can't really afford to care about anymore if you have to travel to the other side of the map on foot to defend them every time - they'll just be blasted craters with save points in them now. All of these problems feed into each other and exacerbate their respective issues exponentially.

I appreciate the effort they've put into this but I'm probably going to keep playing on hard and just modding in the hardcore features I want.

Waiting for an achievement to be added for it. I think the game can be beaten very quickly for it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 29, 2016

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Brotherhood fascism is just what the wasteland needs to become a stable society.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Brotherhood's dogmatic understanding of ghouls exposes their overall antiscientific viewpoint which renders them incapable of ever being anything more than glorified vertibird mechanics

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I install the beta can I use survival mode with a game in progress? I had to restart because Fallout ate the save of my main character somehow, and I'd like to not restart again so soon.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

rt4 posted:

The Brotherhood's dogmatic understanding of ghouls exposes their overall antiscientific viewpoint which renders them incapable of ever being anything more than glorified vertibird mechanics
All the actual scientists got eaten by ferals. Sorry.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

lunatikfringe posted:

So you want a more realistic gameplay, but yet be able to lug 300lbs of guns/armor/trash while nimbly fighting off ghouls and mutants?

This is honestly like asking to put the top down on a convertible and not expect to get wet when it rains.

I don't really care about realism, it'd just be nice to make the game a little more difficult. I like a lot of the ideas like deadlier combat, the sleep/adrenaline/fatigue idea. The weight system just goes against my natural videogame hoarder instincts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinking about it it'd be nice if there was at least fast travel between settlements with supply lines. I love the idea of setting up a few here or there just as temporary bases though; as it stands my entire network is more or less devoted to feeding my power armor and weapons with adhesive, scrap, and caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's only a problem for specifics for weapons, really. Most of what you need at settlements is already around you, just scrap everything and set up supply lines.

Instead of collecting everything highlighted for your crafting, just mark Adhesive (always needed) and pick up only what you need of the rest. Still totally manageable.

• Locked thread